BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

07-06-2021, 01:51 PM   #485
strobe89
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 + 2015 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3toboot View Post
Just to be clear, you connected
* LVDS OUTPUT on the unit into the pink LVDS you removed from the CIC head unit (blue and pink for the ocd, you can tape this up too) and
* LVDS IN on the unit into the PINK LVDS input on the CIC head unit.

Ensure all connectors click in properly...else likely dodgy wiring harness

Good Luck!!
Yep, that is how I have it connected and get the red screen for iDrive, but CarPlay works fine when I hold menu. I even tried without the extension on the LVDS output, no change. All connections click in.
      07-07-2021, 04:23 AM   #486
m3toboot
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///3

Quote:
Originally Posted by strobe89 View Post
Yep, that is how I have it connected and get the red screen for iDrive, but CarPlay works fine when I hold menu. I even tried without the extension on the LVDS output, no change. All connections click in.
To be clear there is NO output on the screen apart from when you hold menu and go to carplay? You cannot see any of the idrive menus? When carplay is working, what happens when you drop back into idrive/bmw ? Backt to RED screen?

Can you verify if original idrive display/work by going back to original setup? Remove quadlock/harness and move LVDS back to CIC screen.

If this works, then you know for sure its the addition. ie harness/carplay unit.

As always, disconnect battery before doing anything and remember to cover the boot lock with a towel or similar.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 07:10 AM   #487
strobe89
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3toboot View Post
To be clear there is NO output on the screen apart from when you hold menu and go to carplay? You cannot see any of the idrive menus? When carplay is working, what happens when you drop back into idrive/bmw ? Backt to RED screen?

Can you verify if original idrive display/work by going back to original setup? Remove quadlock/harness and move LVDS back to CIC screen.

If this works, then you know for sure its the addition. ie harness/carplay unit.

As always, disconnect battery before doing anything and remember to cover the boot lock with a towel or similar.
I get red screen on boot (iDrive), and have to wait until CarPlay auto connects and switches input or manually holy Menu to get CarPlay to show. No iDrive menus function when the CarPlay box is plugged in correctly. Switching back at any point means red screen. Video below to demonstrate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWpl_bqckOU

Original iDrive works fine when I swap the LVDS cable back, nothing wrong with it.

I always disconnected the battery when I was testing, but I did swap LVDS cables most recently to set the time on iDrive to get rid of the no time set ! warning on my cluster and then back to CarPlay wiring again. So, for now I'm driving around with CarPlay working, but no iDrive. Had to do that last swap with the battery connected though as to not lose time again. Didn't seem to have any ill affects moving just the LVDS cable with the battery connected.
      07-07-2021, 10:54 AM   #488
The-Traveler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & G30 530e

You can get a red screen if idrive control knob isn't connected or if one of the other can bus modules is powered off. I've seen it come and go, so it's not just a symptom of bad LVDS connection but there are there causes as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 12:46 PM   #489
strobe89
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Traveler View Post
You can get a red screen if idrive control knob isn't connected or if one of the other can bus modules is powered off. I've seen it come and go, so it's not just a symptom of bad LVDS connection but there are there causes as well.
That is what the vendor was telling me on aliexpress originally. However using their iDrive controller cable and the D# jumper makes the iDrive knob totally unresponsive and I get stuck on my red screen with no way to get to CarPlay.

The vendor had me send them a video of it not working, and now they want me to take it all apart again so they can see the connection path. I'm not going to take it all apart again unless they are sending me a new harness and/or box at this point. I'm tired of testing and having the car in pieces for the past week which is why I put it back together as is for now so I can drive the car in this nice weather. They're lucky I had another car to drive and gave them a week of troubleshooting so far.
      07-08-2021, 09:09 AM   #490
m3toboot
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///3

Quote:
That is what the vendor was telling me on aliexpress originally. However using their iDrive controller cable and the D# jumper makes the iDrive knob totally unresponsive and I get stuck on my red screen with no way to get to CarPlay.

The vendor had me send them a video of it not working, and now they want me to take it all apart again so they can see the connection path. I'm not going to take it all apart again unless they are sending me a new harness and/or box at this point. I'm tired of testing and having the car in pieces for the past week which is why I put it back together as is for now so I can drive the car in this nice weather. They're lucky I had another car to drive and gave them a week of troubleshooting so far.
Sounds like you have connections sorted and likely a harness issue.

In any event, not using the idrive controller harness here with audio via quadlock after programming/coding.

Connections A<—>B with D removed.
DIP Switches 3/4 ON

And yes some vendors try to drag things out which is annoying at best.

HTH
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 11:08 AM   #491
bighindu79
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 Jerez Black/Fox Red bla

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Traveler View Post

Been there done that. I feel your pain but to save yourself continued grief, just order another unit from a different vendor and return this unit. These AliExpress vendors will not send you a replacement unit until they make you go through every troubleshooting step under the sun up to and including tearing your car apart a million times.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 12:05 PM   #492
strobe89
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighindu79 View Post
Been there done that. I feel your pain but to save yourself continued grief, just order another unit from a different vendor and return this unit. These AliExpress vendors will not send you a replacement unit until they make you go through every troubleshooting step under the sun up to and including tearing your car apart a million times.
I might buy the Carsara unit this time around rather than this AIOCOAI one I got. I went with the AIOCOAI because it was formerly the official "Andream" store and the same store I got my F30 NBT CarPlay system from which has worked flawlessly since last year.

The last message I just got from the vendor was they think I need an MCU update to fix it now. I'm probably going to have to just buy another unit as you mentioned.
      07-08-2021, 05:37 PM   #493
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Is there a way to reset/restart the box? My friends keep chipping in and out and eventually it will go to a black screen and come
Back on. I'm wondering if it's a defective box
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 05:39 PM   #494
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrulyteach View Post
Is there a way to reset/restart the box? My friends keep chipping in and out and eventually it will go to a black screen and come
No way to restart it that I'm aware of. Sounds like it could be intermittent power or a wire?

Generally solid state electronics don't malfunction like that, but a power fluctuation or damaged cable could act that way.
      07-08-2021, 05:41 PM   #495
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
Quote:
No way to restart it that I'm aware of. Sounds like it could be intermittent power or a wire?

Generally solid state electronics don't malfunction like that, but a power fluctuation or damaged cable could act that way.
U recommend checking the wiring again
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 07:43 PM   #496
netio
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 - Alpine White

I received the carsara unit today, however, I seem to be missing the main replacement quadlock connector harness for the head unit. Are we supposed to buy this harness separately or do manually tap the cables into the main quadra lock connector.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 10:03 PM   #497
blk33
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by netio View Post
I received the carsara unit today, however, I seem to be missing the main replacement quadlock connector harness for the head unit. Are we supposed to buy this harness separately or do manually tap the cables into the main quadra lock connector.
My Carsara arrived yesterday. I was about to post the same question as you. The main cable loom is date 5 Mar 21. Maybe it is an update and done differently?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2021, 10:13 AM   #498
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Sorry can you upload a picture? If there isn't a quad lock connector something sounds like it's missing.

You should have the main harness built into the unit with a male and female quad lock adapter if you purchased the CIC unit.
      07-10-2021, 10:15 AM   #499
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

U recommend checking the wiring again
Just curious do you have a meter to check your battery voltage?

I left my car sitting while I was traveling and got the red screen when I started the car and it didn't want to show the carplay interface. I checked my battery and I was down to 12.5v or so. I hooked it up to the charger and as soon as I got the voltage back up my unit worked fine.

It's possible the red might be triggered by low voltage conditions if the wiring is fine.
      07-10-2021, 02:44 PM   #500
netio
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Sorry can you upload a picture? If there isn't a quad lock connector something sounds like it's missing.

You should have the main harness built into the unit with a male and female quad lock adapter if you purchased the CIC unit.
This is what i received
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2021, 02:49 PM   #501
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

This is what i received
This was sent to you as a Carsara CIC kit for an E9x? Or are you driving something else.

This is not the same box that most of us are used to seeing. Not sure if they sent you the wrong thing, you have a different car and box, or they've done a complete refresh (which seems unlikely).

I would see if your packaging was labeled correctly as a CIC unit and not something for NBT or another vehicle.
      07-10-2021, 03:17 PM   #502
netio
Canada
Rep

Yes it was purchased for E90x

here is the link to the item

https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/...=4000841193323
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2021, 03:48 PM   #503
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yes it was purchased for E90x

here is the link to the item

https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/...=4000841193323
The link didn't work but I went back and the first hit I get for Carsara now brings up this unit:

The box is clearly different than the one most of us have installed, looks smaller, different connections, so it appears they have a new version.

But in the picture, it clearly shows the main harness with the quad lock connectors which you don't seem to have. I can't quite tell from your picture, but its possible this new unit no longer actually replaces the full quadlock and one of the connectors on the quadlock is removable? That may make life easier if you don't actually have to have two full quadlock connectors back there. Either way you should have up to date instructions if mine are not correct.

I would reach back out to them and show them a picture of your harness and ask for instructions. If you get it working, please let us know how it goes - I will update the main description to indicate the original box is no longer available.

I still see they have a link to the older unit here.
      07-10-2021, 08:17 PM   #504
blk33
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
This is what i received
Mine is exactly the same. No quadlock.
Besides the quadlock, the other major difference is one LVDS cable into Carplay unit which has 2 cables out to Monitor and Radio.

Attached is the instruction booklet emailed out.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf CIC Carsara box instruction.pdf (7.03 MB, 159 views)
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 01:00 PM   #505
netio
Canada
Rep

Thank you for the instructions Blk33... I have connected everything however I can't get the controller to respond. The only jumper setting I have set to on position is 5 for screen resolution 1280*480. Have tested all options however can't get the controller to respond.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 04:19 PM   #506
bighindu79
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 Jerez Black/Fox Red bla

Quote:
Thank you for the instructions Blk33... I have connected everything however I can't get the controller to respond. The only jumper setting I have set to on position is 5 for screen resolution 1280*480. Have tested all options however can't get the controller to respond.
it seems like the new carsara unit is now like kremersino v3 unit, which required the idrive controller harness to be installed in order for everything to work. Since there is no quadlock, I don't believe you can get aux audio without the aux cable either.
Appreciate 0