BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

01-22-2017, 03:46 AM   #1
ThatWhiteM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 E92

How to find out if my ECU been tuned before?

Hello, when I bought my M3 lady mentioned something about tune. Not sure if she was referring to exhaust that she installed or actual ECU tune. Is there a way to find out if ECU has been tuned? And if it is how much does it cost to reset to a factory ECU?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 08:36 AM   #2
squartus
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 6MT

Garage List
2010 E92 BMW M3  [10.00]
Your exhaust, is it aftermarket? If so, and its got primary cat deletes/xpipe/test pipe and its not throwing a code its been tuned. In which case you will need to keep it, or reinstall the cats.

4.4L LC stroker/ESS VT2-625/Volk te37 sl's/AA exhaust/DSS Carbon Fiber driveshaft/ARH Headers.. etc
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 03:47 PM   #3
ThatWhiteM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by squartus View Post
Your exhaust, is it aftermarket? If so, and its got primary cat deletes/xpipe/test pipe and its not throwing a code its been tuned. In which case you will need to keep it, or reinstall the cats.

It does has a dinan exhaust and no codes. I meant like how to know if it's been tuned towards injectors and ignition times? Anyway to find that?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 08:31 PM   #4
Leonardo629
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe

What squartus said, but if your car only has a catback, then there's no way to tell on that end.

Does your car go through the cold start process when you first start it in the morning? i.e. revs to 1200rpm or so, then after a minute also, settles to 6-700rpm. If it doesn't do that, then you DEFINITELY has a tune.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 08:34 PM   #5
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatWhiteM3 View Post
Hello, when I bought my M3 lady mentioned something about tune. Not sure if she was referring to exhaust that she installed or actual ECU tune. Is there a way to find out if ECU has been tuned? And if it is how much does it cost to reset to a factory ECU?
Take it too the dealer and ask for a software update. Tell them if it has anything other than factory software and tune, to reflash it. It will be at your expense, probably to the tune of $300 give or take.
      01-22-2017, 08:35 PM   #6
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
It does has a dinan exhaust and no codes. I meant like how to know if it's been tuned towards injectors and ignition times? Anyway to find that?
See my above comment....
      01-22-2017, 09:22 PM   #7
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:

There's several vendors on here who sell tunes so I think they can comment on how to detect the tune.

A dealer might be able to do it if they knew how/where to look, but it seems like most of the techs don't know the inner-workings of the various modules. They can certainly flash things back to stock if you just request a software update, as others have mentioned. Be forewarned that some dealers don't like doing this "by request" since it's inherently risky.
      01-23-2017, 05:43 AM   #8
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm
Quote:

There's several vendors on here who sell tunes so I think they can comment on how to detect the tune.

A dealer might be able to do it if they knew how/where to look, but it seems like most of the techs don't know the inner-workings of the various modules. They can certainly flash things back to stock if you just request a software update, as others have mentioned. Be forewarned that some dealers don't like doing this "by request" since it's inherently risky.
When the dealer scans the car, the dme file is reviewed by BMW NA automatically and they will inform the dealer if the car has a tune or not and will red flag the VIN automatically. All they have to do is look at the checksum values and see if its been tampered with and or reset and they know its been tuned. Even if you flash back to stock, they still know. Thats how it works. Every single ISTA device in the world communicates with either BMW NA or BMW GmbH. Every time any programming needs to be done, the software comes from them. Not the dealer. The tech has absolutely nothing to do with it, other than hooking up ISTA and scanning the car.
      01-23-2017, 07:01 AM   #9
ThatWhiteM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo629 View Post
What squartus said, but if your car only has a catback, then there's no way to tell on that end.

Does your car go through the cold start process when you first start it in the morning? i.e. revs to 1200rpm or so, then after a minute also, settles to 6-700rpm. If it doesn't do that, then you DEFINITELY has a tune.
Yes, when vehicle starts up on cold day it revs up to about 1100-1200 rpm then drops.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 07:03 AM   #10
ThatWhiteM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber///M View Post
When the dealer scans the car, the dme file is reviewed by BMW NA automatically and they will inform the dealer if the car has a tune or not and will red flag the VIN automatically. All they have to do is look at the checksum values and see if its been tampered with and or reset and they know its been tuned. Even if you flash back to stock, they still know. Thats how it works. Every single ISTA device in the world communicates with either BMW NA or BMW GmbH. Every time any programming needs to be done, the software comes from them. Not the dealer. The tech has absolutely nothing to do with it, other than hooking up ISTA and scanning the car.
So should I take it to dealer and do software update? Sorry I just seem to misunderstand your point. Your first reply saying to do a software update and last one saying it might put a red flag.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 08:38 AM   #11
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatWhiteM3
Quote:
So should I take it to dealer and do software update? Sorry I just seem to misunderstand your point. Your first reply saying to do a software update and last one saying it might put a red flag.
Its up to you. If you still have a bmw warranty you may want to avoid the dealer. Having a tune could void the warranty.... On the other hand requesting an update is the fastest, easiest and cheapest way to ensure you have a factory tune.
      01-23-2017, 12:24 PM   #12
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Since the factory tune is not usually the best for performance, why would you remove it and flash back to the factory tune? Just my 2 cents.

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 10:05 PM   #13
ThatWhiteM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvy View Post
Since the factory tune is not usually the best for performance, why would you remove it and flash back to the factory tune? Just my 2 cents.
Just being paranoid. I want to keep everything stock, engine wise
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 05:12 PM   #14
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:

Interesting, thanks for correcting me!

However, it's been stated on here by several tuners that they can override the "counter" or whatever you want to call it that can signify a tune used to be on there.
      01-24-2017, 06:03 PM   #15
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Interesting, thanks for correcting me!

However, it's been stated on here by several tuners that they can override the "counter" or whatever you want to call it that can signify a tune used to be on there.
They can reset the flash counter, but they cant modify the checksum file and thats what bmw looks at when they check for a tune.
      01-25-2017, 12:33 PM   #16
M3ANMACHINE
Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 + 2014 F15 X5

Could be a Dinan tune if it's running a Dinan X Pipe.
2011 SG E90 M3 | 2008 AW E90 M3 | 2004 E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 10:32 PM   #17
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not necessarily true. If the car is flashed back to stock, then the checksum will be back to what it was before the flash. If the redline and speed limits have not been modified, then they may not necessarily know. They may see a flash counter incremented but this doesn't mean anything concrete.

A checksum is not a "file". There are multiple checksums throughout the file - if the DME is flashed back, the checksums must go back or they are incorrect and the car will not start.

OP, you can send your VIN to us and we can let you know if we've tuned the car - but you'll need to provide proof of ownership before we release this information

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 2
cyman8324.00
Mvy540.50
      01-25-2017, 10:35 PM   #18
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatWhiteM3
Quote:
Its up to you. If you still have a bmw warranty you may want to avoid the dealer. Having a tune could void the warranty.... On the other hand requesting an update is the fastest, easiest and cheapest way to ensure you have a factory tune.
Requesting an update ensures nothing - if you ask for an update and are already on the latest version (even tuned), ISTA will skip flashing the DME unless it's told to manually program it.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 10:45 PM   #19
vroooom
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO M4

Mike, I'm considering a tune only to optimize for 93 octane gas. Nothing else. Would this be worth it? It's a 13 still cpo. Bad idea?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 10:58 PM   #20
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroooom View Post
Mike, I'm considering a tune only to optimize for 93 octane gas. Nothing else. Would this be worth it? It's a 13 still cpo. Bad idea?
A lot of customers get a tune and leave the other options stock.

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 08:11 AM   #21
DOCTOR.Y
Eric_Y
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2010 E92 M3

Garage List
2016 bmw m3 f80  [0.00]
2010 M3 E92  [0.00]
So what is the clear way to tell dealer to remove the ECU tune and refresh it back to bone stock?

I`m asking this because my car has a metallic 'clatter' noise only under acceleration. Not RB please, it existed before and after I replaced my RB. I run the car with gear on the dyno to simulate underload condition like normal driving, open the hood, it`s clearly from underneath rock cover. On the forum people say this is caused by the tune and could be solved by removing it.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 10:55 AM   #22
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOCTOR.Y View Post
So what is the clear way to tell dealer to remove the ECU tune and refresh it back to bone stock?

I`m asking this because my car has a metallic 'clatter' noise only under acceleration. Not RB please, it existed before and after I replaced my RB. I run the car with gear on the dyno to simulate underload condition like normal driving, open the hood, it`s clearly from underneath rock cover. On the forum people say this is caused by the tune and could be solved by removing it.
What tune are you running?

2011 E92 M3 - 6MT, ZCP, ZF LSD, ESS G1, Some other goodies...
Appreciate 0