BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

European Auto Source (EAS)

02-28-2016, 05:55 PM   #1
Shredicus
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Any DIY for Header/Exhaust Manifold removal?

As referenced in this post I think I've got an exhaust leak at the manifold. I was rear ended a while back and the left side muffler did get whacked pretty good. I think its possible a nut has come lose or a gasket degraded, although not a common issue.

My question is does any DIY exist for accessing the passenger side exhaust manifold? I believe it will be a bit easier than driver side due to the lack of power steering equipment in the way. Is it possible to swap a gasket or two without fully removing the headers from the vehicle?

update: At this point I've swapped an OEM header, new exhaust gaskets, and now a set of aftermarket headers and the tick persists. I dont think it's exhaust related

Last edited by Shredicus; 04-15-2022 at 01:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 06:11 AM   #2
rcracin
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

I had a similar situation with a leak at the head. It mostly likely is a bent flange so you'd have to pull the header off and bang it straight or just replace it. It's quite a task pulling the headers but it's doable. You gotta support the engine from the top and lower the subframe. It's a bitch to do but it's possible.

The header flanges are really thin. Really really thin so it will most likely be bent. You get a tapping sound that is especially pronounced during the cold start?

Best way to confirm like I did is to stick a smoke machine into the header collector. I tried from the exhaust but it was too far a distance to travel and didnt produce results.
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2016, 03:32 PM   #3
Shredicus
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracin View Post
I had a similar situation with a leak at the head. It mostly likely is a bent flange so you'd have to pull the header off and bang it straight or just replace it. It's quite a task pulling the headers but it's doable. You gotta support the engine from the top and lower the subframe. It's a bitch to do but it's possible.

The header flanges are really thin. Really really thin so it will most likely be bent. You get a tapping sound that is especially pronounced during the cold start?

Best way to confirm like I did is to stick a smoke machine into the header collector. I tried from the exhaust but it was too far a distance to travel and didnt produce results.
Well couldnt get any smoke to come out at the manifolds, but the guy said for $40 he wasnt undoing any bolts, just running it up the tailpipe. No one seems to be at all able to figure out the origin of the sound; 3 different mechanics using stethoscopes. Everyone's hunch though seems to be manifolds since it comes from lower on the block and there is no abnormal bottom end/valvetrain noise, as well as the nature of the sound being a softer hiss than a click or knock. I've also got a lean bias on bank 1 o2 sensors

Might be convenient to swap the passenger side header when I do my motor mounts as those also require the frame to be dropped a bit. Will it need to fully come down(like rod bearings) to remove/replace the manifold or can I just drop it a few inches like in the motor mount DIY?

The video I posted in the link above is of the noise. I cant really say whether its more pronounced when cold or hot; stays pretty constant

Last edited by Shredicus; 03-11-2016 at 03:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 06:39 AM   #4
JEREM3Y
Registered
New Zealand
Rep

Did you ever find out what caused this? And how to fix?
Appreciate 0