BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - New England

Mporium BMW

11-05-2016, 06:06 PM   #1
CSI
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11e91 & 13e70d

MA shop for rod bearing replacement?

Looking to have my rod bearings replaced in the spring (car will be going into hibernation next weekend for the winter), and it's not something I'm comfortable doing on my own. Anyone else have it done anywhere in MA with positive results? I emailed Turner to do it and they want $3200. That seems excessive to me, but maybe that is the going rate. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 07:06 PM   #2
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSI View Post
Looking to have my rod bearings replaced in the spring (car will be going into hibernation next weekend for the winter), and it's not something I'm comfortable doing on my own. Anyone else have it done anywhere in MA with positive results? I emailed Turner to do it and they want $3200. That seems excessive to me, but maybe that is the going rate. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.
I would choose for Turner or Malek , because they have the necessary knowledge for the S65 bearing job .
I would not care about the 3K , think 3K is a lot cheaper than a new/rebuild S65 engine from BMW...

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 07:47 AM   #3
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Its $500 to $1000 in parts depending on what you use and it will take a shop that has done it a few times about 8 hours though book time may well be 12 hours. Looks to me like Turner wants at least $2200 for 8 hours work, which is a ripoff.

No special knowledge is required to change bearings. Just good tools, care and patience and a fair level of competence.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 09:56 AM   #4
oolas3
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Try contacting German Performance Service in Brighton. I haven't had my rod bearings done yet but this would be a shop worth considering.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 09:55 AM   #5
HandmeDnM3
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 M3

Never got rod bearing replaced but did get a new clutch and flywheel replaced at Precision BMW in Brentwood NH. Derek, the owner, is a great guy and does amazing job. He worked for Turner Motorsport and BMW dealer before opening his own shop. You could literally eat off his shop floor but would not recommend. Its how thorough and anal he is with the work space and cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 11:15 AM   #6
takrdown
Other car was a submarine
Rep
Drives: i4M50 (waiting), 2013 R56 JCW

I had mine done at VSR in Bow, NH. Talk to Mario (the owner) or Chris (his son) and you will be all set. It's a small shop that specializes in vintage BMW restoration but they still build race engines for one of my friends and do anything and everything BMW wise.

I couldn't be happier with them and they are the only ones that I let work on my M3. For perspective I live in Central, CT so It's a 2.5 hour drive just to get there.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 06:47 PM   #7
Mr. BMW
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 M3  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
2018 Jeep Grand Che ...  [0.00]
I think the whole rod bearing issue is really inflated. I've asked my dealer if they have done any replacements or know of any motors that have blown up and he said no. I then asked if they service many M3's and he said he's has a lot of them that come in for service...
06 330i Monaco Blue/Black (retired)
02 X5 3.0 Topaz Blue/Black (retired)
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 06:40 AM   #8
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

That is one theory -- that the failures are just a small percentage and most people have nothing to worry about. I would have to agree that, so far, the odds are with you. But almost all the bearings that have come out of cars for replacement have been heavily worn. I think the failure rate will increase as the cars age, but that it will still be a minority of cars that are affected. I chose not to take the risk, since I could do the change for $600 and I could not afford a $10k used motor.

Regular bearing changes are recommended by some E46M3 tuners, and BMW did a recall on the S54 bearings, so the possibility of real problems is not unheard of. Its unfortunate, but the failures are a reality that each person has to decide whether to address preventatively or that the odds are with them and nothing is needed.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 08:34 AM   #9
takrdown
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
That is one theory -- that the failures are just a small percentage and most people have nothing to worry about. I would have to agree that, so far, the odds are with you. But almost all the bearings that have come out of cars for replacement have been heavily worn. I think the failure rate will increase as the cars age, but that it will still be a minority of cars that are affected. I chose not to take the risk, since I could do the change for $600 and I could not afford a $10k used motor.

Regular bearing changes are recommended by some E46M3 tuners, and BMW did a recall on the S54 bearings, so the possibility of real problems is not unheard of. Its unfortunate, but the failures are a reality that each person has to decide whether to address preventatively or that the odds are with them and nothing is needed.
Agree with all of this. When mine were pulled they were worn. I think I may have seen maybe one set of bearings on here that weren't worn. Anyone on this site is an enthusiast that takes particularly good care of their car and with that comes "just in case" maintenance. Unfortunately for this car that means bearings. I'm sure if it cost $200 to do them everyone would be doing them. Cost is absolutely a limiting factor.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2016, 07:41 PM   #10
Nice Rumble
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 DCT Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by takrdown View Post
I had mine done at VSR in Bow, NH. Talk to Mario (the owner) or Chris (his son) and you will be all set. It's a small shop that specializes in vintage BMW restoration but they still build race engines for one of my friends and do anything and everything BMW wise.

I couldn't be happier with them and they are the only ones that I let work on my M3. For perspective I live in Central, CT so It's a 2.5 hour drive just to get there.
I second VSR as a strong recommendation to do a bearing replacement. Mike Miller from Roundel's Tech Talk say's it should be part of your preventative maintenance and should be performed between 60K-80K. So now the replacement bearings have no lead in them which means it will be hard for Blackstone Labs to detect when the bearings are going bad.

http://www.vsr1.com

I think I saw your car up on the lift when I was there this summer. Space Grey Coupe? You had also hit some curbing and bent part of the exhaust system? They had the bottom of the motor removed and were doing the bearings.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2016, 09:09 PM   #11
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Vac and BE sell aftermarket bearings made by Clevite, which was the original oem supplier, with lead.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 01:20 PM   #12
takrdown
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Rumble View Post
Quote:

I second VSR as a strong recommendation to do a bearing replacement. Mike Miller from Roundel's Tech Talk say's it should be part of your preventative maintenance and should be performed between 60K-80K. So now the replacement bearings have no lead in them which means it will be hard for Blackstone Labs to detect when the bearings are going bad.

I think I saw your car up on the lift when I was there this summer. Space Grey Coupe? You had also hit some curbing and bent part of the exhaust system? They had the bottom of the motor removed and were doing the bearings.
That was me! I have a sedan though but pretty sure it was me. They fixed up the exhaust nice too! I love those guys!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 09:17 PM   #13
CSI
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Rumble View Post

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll definitely give them a call.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 08:24 PM   #14
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

They are right down the road from me in NH. They have a good reputation and have restored some older bmws very nicely. Not cheap, but NH is tax free.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 07:42 AM   #15
BoosTonian
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 MB C63 S AMG Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Farley at Eurotech in natick had done them on my car. He's done a great job on my f80 and my e92..looking forward to his work on my e82 now. Great reputation around here!

retired: GranTurismo MC, Giulia Quadrifoglio, B8.5 RS5, Q60 RedSport, e82 135, F80, e92 M3, e90 M3, (2) e92 335, B8 S4, C209 CLK55 AMG, e46 330
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 09:07 AM   #16
oolas3
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Did you supply the rod bearings/bolts or did the shop? Did you use BMW bolts or ARP bolts?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 09:08 AM   #17
oolas3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoosTonian View Post
Farley at Eurotech in natick had done them on my car. He's done a great job on my f80 and my e92..looking forward to his work on my e82 now. Great reputation around here!
Did you supply the rod bearings/bolts or did the shop? Did you use BMW bolts or ARP bolts?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 09:46 AM   #18
BoosTonian
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 MB C63 S AMG Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3m3mr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoosTonian View Post
I supplied them, wanted BE bearings. Also went with BMW bolts. Some say you don't need to upgrade the bolts unless you're going with the 650kit from ess or vf. Some people are running stock bolts on that kit, so I just kept cost down and went with stocks.

He can get them for you if you want I imagine, he offered to get me the internal gears for the throttle actuators.

retired: GranTurismo MC, Giulia Quadrifoglio, B8.5 RS5, Q60 RedSport, e82 135, F80, e92 M3, e90 M3, (2) e92 335, B8 S4, C209 CLK55 AMG, e46 330
Appreciate 1
oolas3388.00
      11-18-2016, 10:41 AM   #19
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Stock bolts may not save you any money. The cost less to buy, but the labor to install stock bolts is three times that to install ARP bolts due to the factory bolt install procedure that has you going through 3 torque sequences twice for each of the 16 bolts. No doubt it costs over an hour. I have done it both ways.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 08:02 AM   #20
takrdown
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3m3mr View Post
Quote:

I had them shipped directly to them and they offered to procure them for me if I wanted. When I did my job the APR bolts were on back order so I went OEM. They will do whatever you would like and Mario and I talked last time I was up there and he has been doing a lot of reading on the issue so he is beyond familiar with it. His techs are not cookie cutter either. They are all master technicians that know all of their engines. Like I said they have done race engines as well so they know what they are doing and have contacts all over if they see something they don't know.
Appreciate 1
oolas3388.00
      03-17-2017, 03:07 PM   #21
CSI
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Just spoke to Mario and set up an appointment for early April. I appreciate the recommendation.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 08:36 PM   #22
takrdown
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Just spoke to Mario and set up an appointment for early April. I appreciate the recommendation.
That's awesome! tell them Jeremy said hey when you drop off the car!
Appreciate 0