BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-24-2017, 05:40 PM   #1
noremaC
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90M

Tips on Adjusting Coilover Height (Broadway Static) *Pic*

So attempted to raise my Broadway Static 500S in the front and ran into an issue.

I loosened the bottom locking ring (towards bottom of the strut, not the top two locking rings, as directed) and could NOT turn the strut at all. It seems to be seized or jammed.

Spoke with Fortune Auto (effectively the same hardware as Broadway Static, fantastic customer service) and my procedure of raising the ride height is correct. But could not get it to move AT ALL. Used some WD-40 on the threads - didn't help.

Does any one have any tricks to get the thing moving? Wondering if someone has been in the same position and came across a solution. Cheers!

Note: tape was for marking the starting position
      11-15-2017, 05:36 AM   #2
chamba002
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 2009, e90 335i, FZJ80

Loosen the very bottom collar then use the bigger spanner wrench to move the very top collar. You are not messing with the pre-load since the two top collars are locked and just moving the shock body. Spraying lubricant just bellow the very bottom collar will allow it to seep into to the shock body and makes it easier to adjust height. Use the very bottom collar as a marker to set your ride height. This what I do on my Fortune Auto 500 coilovers. Sure beats having to remove the coilover to adjust the height.
Appreciate 1
noremaC241.50
      11-15-2017, 07:17 AM   #3
noremaC
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90M

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamba002 View Post
Loosen the very bottom collar then use the bigger spanner wrench to move the very top collar. You are not messing with the pre-load since the two top collars are locked and just moving the shock body. Spraying lubricant just bellow the very bottom collar will allow it to seep into to the shock body and makes it easier to adjust height. Use the very bottom collar as a marker to set your ride height. This what I do on my Fortune Auto 500 coilovers. Sure beats having to remove the coilover to adjust the height.
I did all BUT use the bigger spanner wrench to move the top collar. I tried to twist the shock body with my hands to adjust height but was not budging.

My concern with adjusting the top collars was that I would mess up the spring pre-load. So does this mean the "bottom" top collar (guess you can call it the middle collar) locks in/sets the pre-load?
      11-15-2017, 08:26 PM   #4
chamba002
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 2009, e90 335i, FZJ80

Quote:
Originally Posted by noremaC View Post
I did all BUT use the bigger spanner wrench to move the top collar. I tried to twist the shock body with my hands to adjust height but was not budging.

My concern with adjusting the top collars was that I would mess up the spring pre-load. So does this mean the "bottom" top collar (guess you can call it the middle collar) locks in/sets the pre-load?
Yeah, you can't really twist it with your hands except when its brand new. The middle collar is the one that locks the very top collar. You won't mess with the preload when you do it this way. I had to raise my M3 1.5" because I was rubbing bad at the track. I took it out after adjustment and handing isn't adversely affected. It feels much better on the corners, with same dampening.

Here is a video how to adjust our type of coilovers. They talk a lot in the into, soo I skipped to part where they actually adjust the coilovers. I like these type of coilovers because you can lower your car without messing up the dampening or shock travel.

Appreciate 0