BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

03-28-2019, 08:16 AM   #1
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Engine rpm and load

I've always wondered about the relationship between engine rpm and load on the S65.. there are suggestions that one should keep rpm below 3000 when cold, but there is always the sense of extra load on the car when I put the car into 3rd gear at 40-50kph under 2k rpm. My understanding is DME already defaults certain % of throttle input to have the engine running, so even when you are coasting at, say 50km/h, 6th gear would put the most load on the engine.

That leads to the question: between 2nd gear with a touch of the throttle and 3rd gear with no throttle at 50kph, which one is harder on the engine? The car seems to warm up faster when it is low rpm&high load condition vs. high rpm with touch of throttle.
      03-28-2019, 08:23 AM   #2
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

I let it sit for a minute most days, although neither E9X is used in cold weather.

It's a good question though. It's clear you put more load on the engine at 2k than at 3k.

What I try to do is keep it to minimum throttle while it warms up. So if there's an uphill I'll go to 3k rpm and if I'm just coasting I do 2k rpm.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 08:41 AM   #3
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I let it sit for a minute most days, although neither E9X is used in cold weather.

It's a good question though. It's clear you put more load on the engine at 2k than at 3k.

What I try to do is keep it to minimum throttle while it warms up. So if there's an uphill I'll go to 3k rpm and if I'm just coasting I do 2k rpm.
Good suggestion.

I am hesitant to pull the trigger on cold start delete partly due to possible insufficient oil circulation by reduced engine rpm. I've also heard that cold start is more than just a reved up engine.. I've been told something has to do with VANOS as well to achieve that cold start exhaust pressure, which creates that awesome but loud sound.
      03-28-2019, 08:51 AM   #4
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
Good suggestion.

I am hesitant to pull the trigger on cold start delete partly due to possible insufficient oil circulation by reduced engine rpm. I've also heard that cold start is more than just a reved up engine.. I've been told something has to do with VANOS as well to achieve that cold start exhaust pressure, which creates that awesome but loud sound.
With the exhaust I use I would have my eardrums blown out in a single cold start, so unfortunately I have it off. But I also don't use the car in cold weather at all.

Yes, it is definitely more than just higher rpms, vanos does change and you can hear the wonderful music it does. It helps it warm up faster than regular revs
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 09:14 AM   #5
SkiFly01
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 comp pkg

Quote:
I've been told something has to do with VANOS as well to achieve that cold start exhaust pressure, which creates that awesome but loud sound.

Don't forget the Aux Airpump for the cats. I kinda wish I could turn it on manually at times. I do like the sound/rumble at times vs the quiet tame warmed idle.
      03-28-2019, 09:31 AM   #6
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
With the exhaust I use I would have my eardrums blown out in a single cold start, so unfortunately I have it off. But I also don't use the car in cold weather at all.

Yes, it is definitely more than just higher rpms, vanos does change and you can hear the wonderful music it does. It helps it warm up faster than regular revs
My neighbors complain from time to time to the real estate agency, I just tell my agent it can't be helped because V8.

Car is so well insulated I didn't think it was this loud with windows down so I drive off about 5 seconds after turning the engine on, without throttle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFly01 View Post
Don't forget the Aux Airpump for the cats. I kinda wish I could turn it on manually at times. I do like the sound/rumble at times vs the quiet tame warmed idle.
My neighbors hate it.
      03-28-2019, 09:35 AM   #7
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
My neighbors complain from time to time to the real estate agency, I just tell my agent it can't be helped because V8.

Car is so well insulated I didn't think it was this loud with windows down so I drive off about 5 seconds after turning the engine on, without throttle.

My neighbors hate it.
I need a button to enable cold start on demand! haha
Appreciate 1
BayE301341.00
      03-28-2019, 07:46 PM   #8
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Yea, I always prioritize lower load over lower rpm. Steep hills at 2k over 1st gear feel awful.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11482.50
      03-28-2019, 07:58 PM   #9
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Good suggestion.

from what i understand, it is the engine retarding timing and using a richer fuel mixture to warm up the catalysts faster. i suppose a number of theories could sprout from the above, but it is mainly done for emissions.
      03-28-2019, 09:07 PM   #10
jcolley
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Good suggestion.

There is an insignificant difference in oil pressure from 600-1200 RPM, not enough to make a difference when loading is so low anyway.

Cold start is nothing more than a heating routine for the catalytic converters. It is in fact referred to as "katheizen" in the DME. It richens the fuel mixture, opens the exhaust valves early, and delays ignition timing slightly to allow the fuel/air mixture to escape to the exhaust manifold prior to the completion of combustion. In addition the torque manager implements a "torque reserve" which is part what makes them so miserable to drive cold (especially a DCT that isn't warm yet).

The sole function of this was to meet the US emissions requirements imposed around 2001 or so which required new vehicles being approved for sale in the US to meet the standardized NOX emissions levels within so many seconds of engine start from cold conditions. There were several approaches OEMs took to meet this, one of which was "close coupling" the catalytic converters by placing them closer to the engine for ambient heating. Take for example the E46 M3 Euro vs US headers and the associated gains from the Euro version. The downside to these rapid heating methods is decreased life of the catalytic converters. This led to OEMs adding a second set of cats in the vehicles to avoid EPA mandated warranty claims down the road.

I despise the cold start routine and delete it every chance I get.
Appreciate 4
roastbeef11586.00
CSBM52721.00
      03-28-2019, 09:50 PM   #11
CarPoor
Discharged
Rep
Drives: G42 M240ix, JLU Rub, 10 S2 RX8

From what I understand bearings generally create suction of the oil from 2500 rpm on, so I keep mine between there and 3000 while warming up with light load/less throttle. Obviously I have to modify my route on occasion so I’m not lugging up hills.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 12:06 PM   #12
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

ill check this with live data today lol
      04-10-2019, 03:00 AM   #13
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Share the results!
      04-10-2019, 09:25 AM   #14
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Share the results!
There's not much difference once you hit 2000+ rpm with minimal throttle at city speeds. I was in some traffic so it was a little hard to look at the data as I drove.

But I noticed a huge difference if it was below that rpm and giving it just a touch of throttle.

I'll reconfirm on a more open drive.

This was during initial driving (below 3k driving) while getting car to operating temps.