BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-16-2016, 11:45 AM   #67
geek
Enlisted Member
51
Rep
40
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Vail, CO

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post

Instead of just running at 7-8 mph for 10 mins, I've started an HIIT routine and definitely feel a difference after my workout. I'll full on sprint for a minute, then speed walk for a minute, and keep doing that for like 5-6 cycles. I lift before Cardio but don't do as many sets...maybe 2-3 instead of 3-4. My workout doesn't take any longer, but boy is it more intense.
I've found this works in lifting too. When I was in college, I was a powerlifter and actually won a few meets. Training involved a lot of heavy lifting and a LOT of rest between sets and between heavy days. I was really lean (3.7%, hydrostatic weighing). Work hard for a few seconds, sit on my ass for 5-10 minutes, get stronger and leaner. It was like a miracle.

We did heavy squats, bench, & deads once a week; even our 21 year old bodies couldn't take any more than that. For the other 167 hours, they were burning calories repairing themselves.

Look at Usain Bolt (or any other sprinter). They look a lot better than distance runners, and it ain't because they do more cardio.

Good luck and keep working hard, in the gym and in school.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 11:48 AM   #68
BayMoWe335
Lieutenant Colonel
433
Rep
1,926
Posts

Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

If you say you're 5'10, you're probably more like 5'8 so I think you have too much fat and need to get leaner. Don't get pissy...most guys overestimate their height by at least 2 inches.

I'd get under 10% body fat and then get serious about lifting. So many guys look pudgy even when they are building muscle because they never do cardio hard enough or long enough.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 11:50 AM   #69
InternetFame
Banned
InternetFame's Avatar
United_States
549
Rep
224
Posts

Drives: '17 F80 ZCP 6MT, '11 R55 S 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: DMV

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
If you say you're 5'10, you're probably more like 5'8 so I think you have too much fat and need to get leaner. Don't get pissy...most guys overestimate their height by at least 2 inches.

I'd get under 10% body fat and then get serious about lifting. So many guys look pudgy even when they are building muscle because they never do cardio hard enough or long enough.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 02:34 PM   #70
gthal
Major General
gthal's Avatar
Canada
1801
Rep
5,688
Posts

Drives: 2018 340i xDrive
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tanglewood View Post
Side question, do you have a girlfriend? Would you post up some of your meal plans, snacks, and what a typical week might look like?

I ask about the girlfriend because for me that changes everything. It's fairly easy (kind of) to restrict yourself and your own diet, but when you have another person in the equation who you must eat meals with, etc, I feel like it becomes an infinitely harder task.

Add to that my girlfriend is a pescatarian, so I can never share my easy protein meals (chicken, turkey meatballs, etc.) with her.

Any advice is helpful. I have been really active in crossfit for a couple months. I'm almost 5'-10" but have been stuck around 185lb due to my sugar and late-night eating addictions. I also drink pretty regularly, having at least one drink every other night. I have seen some awesome gains in crossfit, but I think they are all hiding under the extra 15-20lb of fat I have been sustaining, so I really want to start seeing the results of my labor.
I'm married but my wife is into fitness in a big way too... it absolutely makes it easier.

I don't really have a meal plan. I track macros and calories only. Right now I'm eating at around 350g carbs, 185g protein and about 60g fat. When I'm cutting, I up protein to about 200g, drop fat to about 50g and have carbs for the balance subject to how many calories I eat in a cut (say, 2,100 per day).

I think people over think this. First, pick up and put down heavy weights 4-5 times a week. Get a couple of 30 minute HIIT sessions in if you want. Timing of when you eat is no where near as important as calories and macros. Timing matters around workouts to ensure you have energy and protein after but, otherwise, way less important unless you are entering a competition and every little thing matters. Likewise, low carb, keto, intermittent fasting, etc, etc... again, not saying they don't work but they aren't needed either. At the end of the day, they work because they restrict calories in their own way... if you eat more energy over time than you burn, you gain fat. If you eat less, you lose fat. If someone has a 2,600 calorie maintenance level and eats 3,500 calories on a keto diet, they gain weight. If they eat 3,500 calories of brocolli, they gain weight. The diet strategy (fad) is less important than the energy balance.

In order of importance to me...

1. Calorie balance (calories in/out based on exercise, age, bf%, metabolism, etc).
2. Macro nutrients

You could stop there if you want but if not...

3. Meal timing and other things like low carb, keto and other strategies.

To me, do what works and what has worked for me is tracking my macros and eating what I want. I eat very healthy, nutrient dense food 80% of the time. Have fun snacks and other stuff from time to time as long as it fits in my calorie and macro total (and sometimes I miss the macro target). I've been adding lean muscle and maintaining sub-10%BF for months and months without much struggle.
__________________
2018 340i | Mineral Gray | Current DD | C8 mid-engine Corvette to come next year
2016 M2 | Long Beach Blue | 6MT
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2014 Corvette Stingray | Z51 | Torch Red | 7MT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3 | 1996 E36 M3 (track car)

Last edited by gthal; 11-16-2016 at 02:47 PM.
Appreciate 1
smoosh2238.50

      11-16-2016, 04:18 PM   #71
BayMoWe335
Lieutenant Colonel
433
Rep
1,926
Posts

Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetFame View Post
Am I wrong? How many guys do you hear say they're 6' and they are 5'8 MAX? People ask me if I'm 6'6 and shit...I'm 6'3 if I stand up really straight and probably more like 6 2.5 and people I'm literally a head taller than say they are 6'.

Average male height is 5'8 for a reason. Most people are about 5'8.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 01:13 PM   #72
csu87
Banned
2255
Rep
3,653
Posts

Drives: 09 335xi
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Northern Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
If you say you're 5'10, you're probably more like 5'8 so I think you have too much fat and need to get leaner. Don't get pissy...most guys overestimate their height by at least 2 inches.

I'd get under 10% body fat and then get serious about lifting. So many guys look pudgy even when they are building muscle because they never do cardio hard enough or long enough.
10% is pretty ripped. mid teens you look cut. its into the high teens/low 20s that you start looking pudgey

As for height... im guessing anyone that is into fitness is pretty aware of their measurements. If they are wrong, it is because they are lying, not because they over estimated by 2 inches...
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2016, 01:16 PM   #73
BayMoWe335
Lieutenant Colonel
433
Rep
1,926
Posts

Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
10% is pretty ripped. mid teens you look cut. its into the high teens/low 20s that you start looking pudgey

As for height... im guessing anyone that is into fitness is pretty aware of their measurements. If they are wrong, it is because they are lying, not because they over estimated by 2 inches...
Nah, I think people overstate shit like height all the time, knowingly. I see it all the time.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 01:38 PM   #74
jgoens
Major General
jgoens's Avatar
3200
Rep
5,310
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i msport
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: San Mateo, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
Nah, I think people overstate shit like height all the time, knowingly. I see it all the time.
I only overstate my dick size. Works every time.
Appreciate 1
csu872255.00

      11-18-2016, 09:48 AM   #75
csu87
Banned
2255
Rep
3,653
Posts

Drives: 09 335xi
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Northern Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
I only overstate my dick size. Works every time.
Dam so its not really 2 inches? So disappointing.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 12:47 PM   #76
John Tanglewood
Porn Star
John Tanglewood's Avatar
Jamaica
975
Rep
3,112
Posts

Drives: '15 yaaaas
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Stamford, CT

iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
•Eat 6 (six) meals per day - Breakfast | Snack | Lunch | Snack | Dinner | Snack
•Try to keep every meal ~100cal or less

I'm a math major and all, but doesn't that add up to only 600cal/day? At that level, I'm dead. I'm about the same height/weight as you, although apparently my Mexican wife's cooking adds about 10lbs more to my frame.
Sorry I absolutely meant 100cal for the snacks! Not the meals lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
If you say you're 5'10, you're probably more like 5'8 so I think you have too much fat and need to get leaner. Don't get pissy...most guys overestimate their height by at least 2 inches.
Haha that's not me bud. I'm over 30, I literally have nothing to gain by overselling my height while asking for advice about my body. But I would feel sorry for someone who felt they had to do that.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 01:16 PM   #77
jgoens
Major General
jgoens's Avatar
3200
Rep
5,310
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i msport
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: San Mateo, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
Dam so its not really 2 inches? So disappointing.
No, I tell them I have a 10 inches and when they find out its a solid 8, they are relieved.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 04:26 PM   #78
RABAUKE
Rear Admiral
RABAUKE's Avatar
Canada
4091
Rep
1,341
Posts

Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: The Golden Horseshoe, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

....I like the wings and beer diet.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 04:26 PM   #79
RABAUKE
Rear Admiral
RABAUKE's Avatar
Canada
4091
Rep
1,341
Posts

Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: The Golden Horseshoe, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
No, I tell them I have a 10 inches and when they find out its a solid 8, they are relieved.
....I've only got 4" but some women like it thick like that.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2017, 12:55 PM   #80
Bt12
Captain
352
Rep
895
Posts

Drives: 2018 X5,2018 m2, 2018 x1
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Bicoastal

iTrader: (0)

1) change your cardio ...Walk on incline 120 heart rate do this in morning so you are fasted.
2) carb cycle add cheat days try to do this on heavy lifting days. carbs help restore leptine levels and help delivery of protein.
3) lift heavy weights make sure you are doing your compound lifts.
4)make sure keep your food intake at appropriate level, not just eat less. Unless you are a pro body builder you donít need to do the 6 meals a day stuff.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:54 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST