BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

Mporium BMW

05-24-2019, 12:09 AM   #23
Darkmoyle
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Advanced advice for AC evaporator DIY

Thanks to edsonreds on this thread and everyone who has posted advice and videos for this challenging DIY.

Non-obvious advice I didn't learn from other posts:

1. If cost is not your number one priority then get AC system degassed at a shop first.
2. Video yourself OR take photos of every non obvious step AND bag all fasteners with respective parts together AND put labels on the electrical connectors so you won't have to rely on memory/fit.
3. The only wiring parts I broke were (2) white wiring harness clips. Order a few of these ahead of time (photo attached from ebay). It is also a good idea to get a roll of Tesa wiring harness tape for small repairs as you go.
4. The only dash clips I broke were these unusual spiral things attached to the cross member and the left knee foam protector 2 x (51457130934). They take a week to come to the USA from Germany.
5. There are two bolts that need to be accessed from the engine bay. One is from the evap/matrix box and it is (a torx) in the middle of the firewall/bulkhead about 12cm (4") down from the top. It is behind circular plug 11 on http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=51_5865. The second is from the cross member behind the steering column and it comes out behind some brake lines to the right (from front of car) of the coolant and AC lines through the fire wall.
6. I recommend removing as much as you need to in the engine bay to make accessing coolant and AC lines easier (air filter, plenum, etc.). Buy hose removal pliers ($15 from harbor freight) https://www.harborfreight.com/3-piec..._q=hose+pliers
7. The engine bay work on this job is the most challenging part. The interior work is a memory test and a test of skill in not breaking clips/connectors.
8. Honorable mention to the 2 speaker connectors in the back center of the dash board. You need to set the dash in place then lift it and reach back in and up towards the windshield. A maneuver that almost put my back out.
9. If you do not have the phone option there will be two unused connectors on the center console wiring loom.

Good luck and enjoy not paying the $3300 I was quoted at a Bay Area dealer. That will pay for a lot of $1 clips!!

p.s. A few days later while adjusting my steering wheel back to straight ahead I broke the clock spiral. It is part of the control stalk assembly so it is very expensive. You can find it used by searching for bmw 698955702 to get the OEM part (part of the larger assembly). I paid $45 on Ebay.
Attached Images

Last edited by Darkmoyle; 05-27-2019 at 12:36 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 2
      06-04-2020, 12:47 AM   #24
aerospacey
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsonreds View Post
Hi. Yeap. I've seem videos among them the one you posted. I gathered the TIS instructions. So far removing the dash doesnt seem scary. I am figuring out how to make the A/C system drawn off. I am concerned because the Manual says if the system is open more than 24hrs I should change the dissecant. I think I will research more. My evaporator will come in a couple of weeks. Luckily I found a way to know whether I needed a Valeo or Denso evaporator without dismantling the dash.
Hi! I have a leaky evap and I was wondering how you found which your car has before disassembling the dash, steering wheel, plenum, etc. Is it possible to lookup by VIN? Maybe manufacturer will match the compressor? Maybe I will buy both so I have each option available when I disassemble everything in the coming month.

Also, in another thread you stated you might share the ISTA service manual as the TIS was lacking information regarding a few other 🔩 bolts for the dashboard's support strut. Would it be possible if you could send it to me?

Last edited by aerospacey; 06-04-2020 at 12:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 12:12 AM   #25
Theodore
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerospacey View Post
Hi! I have a leaky evap and I was wondering how you found which your car has before disassembling the dash, steering wheel, plenum, etc. Is it possible to lookup by VIN? Maybe manufacturer will match the compressor? Maybe I will buy both so I have each option available when I disassemble everything in the coming month.\
My car had a white BMW stamped label attached to the wiring harness that connected to the rear of the climate control interface (dash buttons) that made reference to my car having a Valeo evap unit. Your's may have a similar label.
E9X M3 "Factory" Tools Can Be Found Here
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 01:35 PM   #26
aerospacey
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodore View Post
My car had a white BMW stamped label attached to the wiring harness that connected to the rear of the climate control interface (dash buttons) that made reference to my car having a Valeo evap unit. Your's may have a similar label.
Thanks Theodore! Just getting around to this now since my headliner caved (about $275 to fix locally) due to the lovely Charleston humidity and having the windows down last week to go pick up a new amplifier.

I'll order the valeo replacement now, but the Hella brand, Behr brand, Rein brand, and Nissens brand replacements for Valeo are looking pretty good vs the more expensive Valeo and Genuine BMW prices especially since they screwed this design up so bad
Attached Images

Last edited by aerospacey; 07-07-2020 at 01:43 PM.. Reason: forgot pic
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 01:40 PM   #27
aerospacey
Rep

I don't have much hvac experience...is there anything else that needs to be replaced when replacing the evaporator? aI'm guessing the o-rings/gaskets and the expansion valve. Am I missing anything else that is critical?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 07:54 PM   #28
br2wdc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 E90 LMB

You probably have already seen this, but in case you haven't this guy goes step by step and provides amazing detail and answers your question

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1723803

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerospacey View Post
I don't have much hvac experience...is there anything else that needs to be replaced when replacing the evaporator? aI'm guessing the o-rings/gaskets and the expansion valve. Am I missing anything else that is critical?

2011 E90 M3 | Le Mans Blue | DCT | Slicktop
“The end is inevitable Maverick, your kind is headed for extinction” … “maybe so sir, but not today” – Tom Cruise in Top Gun: Maverick
Previous: 2006 E90 330i | 6MT -- 2001 E39 540i | 6MT -- 1997 E36 M3 | Techno Violet | 5MT
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 10:19 PM   #29
aerospacey
Rep

ohhhh that would have been nice before I started it today! thanks anyways! I got down to the steering column to crash bar external torx bolts, stuck until I get some e-torx sockets now. 😕
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 02:35 AM   #30
aerospacey
Rep

For others planning on undertaking this r&r - order a new sticky back foam gasket set (Denso 64116950976 / Valeo 64112453899) or buy some 1/2" wide sticky back foam to replace your seals on the ac/heaterbox...mine were garbage...
Appreciate 2