BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

10-14-2013, 04:48 PM   #23
NikB316
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition, F83 M4

Same crap happened to me to the point there were two giant holes on each side. iPad is giving me problems posting pics I'll try later. Shitty part was I bought mine off someone who had a lime rock so no warranty . Lasted not even a month. My tech was shocked that the exhaust was OEM BMW as he said it was the thinnest crap he's seen.

2014 M5 Competition Alpine/Sakhir
BMS Tune. Undercover Performance Custom Downpipes & Connector. H&R 10mm Spacers. BMW CF Rear Spoiler. IND Cosmetics. ALP & BEL Radar & Laser.
2011 Space Grey E92 M3 AA Gen 2 Lvl 3 586whp 398wtq SAE (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 05:11 PM   #24
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikB316
Same crap happened to me to the point there were two giant holes on each side. iPad is giving me problems posting pics I'll try later. Shitty part was I bought mine off someone who had a lime rock so no warranty . Lasted not even a month. My tech was shocked that the exhaust was OEM BMW as he said it was the thinnest crap he's seen.
Were you able to repair it!?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #25
dex37
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

That's a very common problem with MPE. The material is just too thin at some parts and it cracks over time while, because it extends and shrinks from the temperature.

It's possible to repair it, I am not sure that it won't crack again. You also have to find someone, who can weld inconel.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 05:18 PM   #26
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Ouch man that's disappointing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex37 View Post
That's a very common problem with MPE. The material is just too thin at some parts and it cracks over time while, because it extends and shrinks from the temperature.

It's possible to repair it, I am not sure that it won't crack again. You also have to find someone, who can weld inconel.
Really? Common?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 05:28 PM   #27
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Update:

I called my two local dealerships and they both told me they were not able to do anything for me because BMWCanada and BMWUSA are two separate companys!

Then I called a couple of dealerships in the states and they all told me I would need to go there with the exhaust on the car to have it warrantied, so I'm guessing it means they would just put the fault on my supercharger to not honor the warranty!

So now I found a good welder who already worked with inconel and he should be able to repair it, hopefully he wont have any problems!!

I'll give some updates when it's done, probably next week!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 05:30 PM   #28
dex37
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Ouch man that's disappointing.

Really? Common?
There are a number of threads about that on the german forums. BMW will give you a new one without objections, but it still doesn't solve the Problem. It is not a defect, it's a bad construction. The new one will crack sooner or later. Some guys have their 3rd exhaust already. It might have something to do with the Autobahn- higher speeds- prolonged heat exposure It's just a speculation.

Last edited by dex37; 10-15-2013 at 04:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #29
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Wow...really really disappointing..I love my MPE but geez, had no idea that so many went bad in Germany. Does anyone know who manufactures it?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 08:21 PM   #30
BMWPWR
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

I was on the edge about the MPE, but after hearing your storey and the paint peeling issues I think it's best to give it a miss, given the price of the product its pathetic.

I'll keep it stock or eventually get an akrapovic.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 04:42 AM   #31
dex37
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3 View Post
Wow...really really disappointing..I love my MPE but geez, had no idea that so many went bad in Germany. Does anyone know who manufactures it?
The MPE sounds great. I was also considering it when I was looking for an exhaust. After reading about all the problems with it I decided to get the Akrapovic Slip on, but at the end I got the Evolution.

The manufacturer is MHG Fahrzeugtechnik. They also make the exhaust for Pagani Zonda F, but something apparently went wrong with the M Performance Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 07:33 AM   #32
sylonien
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3

This isn't the first time I've heard/seen pictures of this.
That's why I'm surprised people would go for it especially at that price.
      10-15-2013, 08:03 AM   #33
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Am I the only one that noticed that the OP's car is far from stock and this could have a bearing on the issues with the MPE.This exhaust being a stock replacement piece from the dealers is designed to be used with the cats in place.I have 40000 kms on mine with no issues except that it has gotten louder over time after lots of track time.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #34
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrezzz View Post
This Just Happened To Me This Week, My Mpe Cracked...............
So if this issue still happens would bmw keep replacing the muffler??????
I wonder how much money they lost, since its a frequent problem.
For sure if your car is stock they won't have choice but to replace your muffler till the end of your warranty, also if they replace your muffler let's say 2 months before the end of your warranty, my guess is that they will give you the 2 year warranty that goes with these exhaust when you buy them seperate from the car. And yes, they must lose so much money with that default of conception, poor guy who designed it!! LOL
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 08:45 AM   #35
Sal@AUTOcouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E93 M3, E36 M3

We've seen this happen multiple times already!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 02:03 AM   #36
m45
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal@AUTOcouture View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylonien View Post
Quote:
There are a number of threads about that on the german forums. BMW will give you a new one without objections, but it still doesn't solve the Problem. It is not a defect, it's a bad construction. The new one will crack sooner or later. Some guys have their 3rd exhaust already. It might have something to do with the Autobahn- higher speeds- prolonged heat exposure It's just a speculation.
Quote:

I am currently on my third MPE and it just cracked again. There is definitely a manufacturing or design flaw with the MPE that causes this to happen. Personally, I love the MPE and am planning to have mine TIG welded and will keep my fingers crossed that it solves the problem.

My first MPE lasted over two years, but the last two didn't make it a full year total before they both cracked. They like to crack in the same spot on both sides, just like the photos in this thread show.

This is clearly a huge problem for the MPE and I hope BMW steps up and does the right thing for MPE owners down the road.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 12:54 PM   #37
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal@AUTOcouture View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylonien View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I am currently on my third MPE and it just cracked again. There is definitely a manufacturing or design flaw with the MPE that causes this to happen. Personally, I love the MPE and am planning to have mine TIG welded and will keep my fingers crossed that it solves the problem.

My first MPE lasted over two years, but the last two didn't make it a full year total before they both cracked. They like to crack in the same spot on both sides, just like the photos in this thread show.

This is clearly a huge problem for the MPE and I hope BMW steps up and does the right thing for MPE owners down the road.
I finally had mine welded last year and it seems to hold well till now. I still have some inconel rods in case I need to weld it again, hopefully I wont but since I already have the rods, it should'nt be more expensive then 100-200$!

I got to say, even if this exhaust gave me some trouble, and that it cost me a lot of $$$, I would'nt replace it for any other!

here's my car with test pipes

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 07:25 AM   #38
MTrezzz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lime Rock Edition

it seems like the people who have used x-pipe (Primary delete) with MPE get the issue. I had the MPE 2 times and before pairing it with the x-pipe i had zero issues with both, until i got my x-pipe, one from AA and the other from Challenge (sport x-pipe high flow cats).
I believe the flow matters when it comes to the life of the MPE. the more travel air allowed to travel freely apparently cracks the back wall of the MPE, hence why two cracks appear. Guys use the stock x-pipe on the MPE. but if you touch the Primary cats you have a bigger risk for cracks.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 07:28 AM   #39
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrezzz
it seems like the people who have used x-pipe (Primary delete) with MPE get the issue. I had the MPE 2 times and before pairing it with the x-pipe i had zero issues with both, until i got my x-pipe, one from AA and the other from Challenge (sport x-pipe high flow cats).
I believe the flow matters when it comes to the life of the MPE. the more travel air allowed to travel freely apparently cracks the back wall of the MPE, hence why two cracks appear. Guys use the stock x-pipe on the MPE. but if you touch the Primary cats you have a bigger risk for cracks.
That could very well be an explaination!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 03:59 PM   #40
FazerBoy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Quote:
That's interesting. I wonder if those who have posted here with a cracked MPE could chime in as to whether the rest of the exhaust system was stock or modified...?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 05:20 PM   #41
surewin
///M3mber
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Good advice! I was considering getting test pipes, but had no idea of the potential risks.

I currently have stock x-pipes. Had the MPE for almost a year with no problems.

6-Speed | Inconel M Exhaust | Stoptech | Macht Schnell | AST
Instagram: surewin_e92m

Last edited by surewin; 07-24-2014 at 05:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 05:26 PM   #42
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
This has come up before where a high percentage of MPE cracking issues had happened on cars with their cats removed. Not all, but many. The primary cats must significantly damp out the exhaust pulses (i.e. they are restrictive to flow).
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 06:26 PM   #43
FazerBoy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Let's put the question another way: has anybody had direct experience of the MPE cracking while the rest of the engine and exhaust system was stock?

I'm just about to press the button on the MPE with an otherwise stock set up so I just want to know if I am likely to have cracking issues...

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 08:00 PM   #44
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FazerBoy
Let's put the question another way: has anybody had direct experience of the MPE cracking while the rest of the engine and exhaust system was stock?

I'm just about to press the button on the MPE with an otherwise stock set up so I just want to know if I am likely to have cracking issues...

Thanks
Well if you're stock, at least you have the 2years warranty on the exhaust!
Appreciate 0