BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-10-2015, 07:15 PM   #23
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Ah, I forgot to mention in my original post that EAS had found that my engine mounts were torn. They replaced all the rubber belts in the engine bay right before I was delivering the car to Racewerkz for the cage. While doing the work, they found the torn mounts. One of them was torn quite badly.

Since Racewerkz was going to have the car up on a lift for several weeks, it was easier to have them change the mounts. I chose to go with urethane mounts. Now that I've driven them 5 days, I'm happy with the urethane mounts. They translate more engine vibration into the frame than the stock mounts, but it's not bad. I decided against Delrin or aluminum. It didn't seem worth having something SO solid in there. I've been in cars with completely solid bushings. It's more punishing than I think I need. I think it was the right choice for me.

I'm eyeing all the other bushings in the car now. All other bushings are still stock.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 08:54 PM   #24
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

we talked about solid bushings for a little bit while i was picking up those tires at your house a while back. i think you were on the fence about them, citing the reason being that they could potentially be transferring energy (stress) to parts of the car's body that wasn't meant to handle that stress. did you change your mind after further research, or are you a little more confident in the car's ability to handle it because of the increased rigidity with the cage?
i'm likely going to do solid subframe bushings, but keep the differential bushings stock for now. i think i would like a little more of a solid feel out of the rear end, but i want to keep a little slack in the driveline for comfort and to have a little slack in the driveline.
      08-10-2015, 08:56 PM   #25
nicksm3
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksm3 View Post
Now this is what I'm talking about! Love it and nice to see that you are still on oem internals with a blower and tracking it!! Now I may opt towards a blower just don't like the idea of adding weight to the nose. Wish the plenums were plastic like oem.
Sorry if I didn't catch it but what's the weight of her now? And are you running engine, trans and diff coolers?
Thanks! Weight was 3235lbs before the wing was put on. There's a bunch more weight that we can easily lose, like stock rear exhaust section (25-30lbs), rear glass to Makrolon plastic (10-15lbs), all body panels, doors and roof are still metal so we could lose weight there, and if this was truly a race car, we would lose the blower which would take out around 100lbs. Also, the car has retained virtually all wiring. There's a number of pounds to lose there by stripping some of the wiring out, but I'm not in a hurry to do that.

I do want to do the exhaust soon but I may end up at Laguna Seca again in a couple weeks, so I'm gonna hold off.
Wow that is light!!!!!
Oh yes totally hold off...I run at Limerock so I had to switch to the rear ESS section from my Meistershaft Gt2.
I've been looking myself for complete carbon doors, hood and boot lid on MOTORSPORT24.de
Great site and amazing products but priceyyyyyyyy with the shipping and customs etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 09:02 PM   #26
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
One other minor (but sorta cool) development this week: Now that the driver door is removable and I take it off when putting the car in the trailer, I needed to figure out what to do with the door once it was off. Sticking it in the pickup truck backseat was not a longterm solution.

I visited my trailer shop and they made a solution that I am QUITE happy with. They created a custom bracket that holds the door. The pegs from the door hinge hook in on one side and they created a latch point on the other side that the door latch simply closes on. It's as if the door is sitting on the car as far as the door is concerned.

We weren't sure the car would be able to drive into the trailer with the door on the wall, but it turns out it was no problem at all. There are several inches of room between the passenger mirror and the door hanging on the wall.

Check it out:

Last edited by dogbone; 08-10-2015 at 09:50 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2015, 10:16 PM   #27
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
we talked about solid bushings for a little bit while i was picking up those tires at your house a while back. i think you were on the fence about them, citing the reason being that they could potentially be transferring energy (stress) to parts of the car's body that wasn't meant to handle that stress. did you change your mind after further research, or are you a little more confident in the car's ability to handle it because of the increased rigidity with the cage?
i'm likely going to do solid subframe bushings, but keep the differential bushings stock for now. i think i would like a little more of a solid feel out of the rear end, but i want to keep a little slack in the driveline for comfort and to have a little slack in the driveline.
Well, this car is no longer a street car. Things have changed quite dramatically in it since we talked. So, putting more solid bushings in it can be a logical step in a larger picture. And look at all the stuff that's been done to the car before even considering this step. Also it's quite a bit lighter than it's original weight.

A couple of recent things have brought out the idea of the underside bushings: 1. seeing what the engine mounts looked like. They were punished something awful. 2. Seeing what happened on track with my friend's 996 GT3. My friend with the GT3 has been having some failures on track---the most recent being a broken rear axle at Turn 2 at Sonoma. That experience led him to have an entire round of rejuvenating done to the car. It was VERY expensive, but the axle demonstrated in very clear terms that stuff simply needs to be replaced on a regular cycle when used this hard---even if nothing appears to be wrong.

So I'm trying to stay ahead of parts failing. In the world of cars, I find it better to be proactive, and stay ahead of problems, than be reactive and deal with failures as they happen......because dealing with failures as they happen usually means having parts fail on track. My friend went from being reactive to super proactive. Of course, it depends on how hard you drive and how often and what the car is subjected to, but there are general conventions that one can follow when doing preventive maintenance.

We look at the stock underside bushings all the time, and they seem to be holding up, but now I'm thinking they've definitely lived a full life and maybe I should consider the next step.
Appreciate 2
IanMan382.50
      08-11-2015, 03:40 AM   #28
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
Well, this car is no longer a street car. Things have changed quite dramatically in it since we talked. So, putting more solid bushings in it can be a logical step in a larger picture. And look at all the stuff that's been done to the car before even considering this step. Also it's quite a bit lighter than it's original weight.

A couple of recent things have brought out the idea of the underside bushings: 1. seeing what the engine mounts looked like. They were punished something awful. 2. Seeing what happened on track with my friend's 996 GT3. My friend with the GT3 has been having some failures on track---the most recent being a broken rear axle at Turn 2 at Sonoma. That experience led him to have an entire round of rejuvenating done to the car. It was VERY expensive, but the axle demonstrated in very clear terms that stuff simply needs to be replaced on a regular cycle when used this hard---even if nothing appears to be wrong.

So I'm trying to stay ahead of parts failing. In the world of cars, I find it better to be proactive, and stay ahead of problems, than be reactive and deal with failures as they happen......because dealing with failures as they happen usually means having parts fail on track. My friend went from being reactive to super proactive. Of course, it depends on how hard you drive and how often and what the car is subjected to, but there are general conventions that one can follow when doing preventive maintenance.

We look at the stock underside bushings all the time, and they seem to be holding up, but now I'm thinking they've definitely lived a full life and maybe I should consider the next step.
interesting, thanks. you definitely seem like the type of person that does in-depth research about parts to draw logical conclusions. i would be interested to know which direction you go with what bushings and why.
i'm likely going to head to MRF engineering when i decide to get mine, mostly because it seems like he has a lot of experience and seems to be very competent in this area.
hopefully i'll bump into you at the track someday, i'd be happy to buy you lunch, check out your car, and pick your brain a bit more.
      08-17-2015, 07:02 PM   #29
wspellmann
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaung View Post
your really screwing up this whole "rod bearings" issue with a report like that.
ITT most of those rod bearing "issues" are coming from casual owners that don't care about their cars.

I got my E90 with 39000 miles on it last year. I was reading all that stuff about the rod bearings so I started doing Blackstone Labs sample testing. Here is my last report after 6500 miles (life happens) and FIVE track days:

08-18-2015, 12:09 PM   #30
dapopa9
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Wow man great write up. You have taken it to a whole new level! And 80 track days is insane and great testimate to how well built these are. Makes me miss my M3. My Z06 has to be fully rebuilt after every 5 track days I feel like...junk breaks everytime I drive it. haha! Hope to see you out there soon. I should be up at BW and AAA in October.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 06:49 AM   #31
evilspiritM3
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, 2018 F87 M2

Garage List
2018 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone
Quote:

Interesting methodology on the bushings as more regular wear items and it makes sense to be checking them out regularly. Please keep updating as you work through what gets changed out and when. Thanks!
      08-19-2015, 11:28 AM   #32
TXmtrhed
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
-All 4 door windows were removed. I am considering putting Makrolon plastic on the rear door windows to smooth the air around the car. I'm also considering Markolon for the rear window as well. There's a little bit of weight savings for the rear glass---maybe 10-12 lbs.

-I'm considering a simple aluminum panel to cover the hole to the trunk area to reduce/eliminate the parachute effect in the trunk. Haven't committed to that yet.
[/IMG]
Very nice build! IMO I would put in the rear door windows and replace the rear glass too. Leave the access to the trunk open but drill some vent holes along the top or bottom of the rear window to provide venting.
      08-25-2015, 07:19 AM   #33
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow

Very nice Gabe....
Love the new safety cage.
She is what i would have done to my e90 (minus blower)... im glad u went this far.
Cant wait to see u on track again. Always a pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 12:15 PM   #34
surlynkid
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
Very nice TIG welding. People just don't appreciate that. I see so many booger welds on cages. They would all fail radiography.
Stoptech 380mm/355mm | PFC08 / Pagid RS-29 | Akrapovic EVO - CF tips | Benvo Tune | MS UDP | AA air filter | MCS 2-way with 700/1000lb springs | Solid bushings and adjustable links | RD front swaybar | Apex EC-7 18x10 square 275/35-18 NT01 | Turner Race Studs | GT4 Brake Cooling | GT4 Power Steering Cooling | Alekshop Oil Cooler | Performance Steering Wheel | | CF Spoiler | Varis System 1 Full CF Diffuser | Extended Paddle Shifters | Schroth Quick Fit Pro | Turner Steering Rack Stops | Vorshlag Camber Plates
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 08:59 PM   #35
Sleeper519
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 DCT

Nice build. Would love to do that with my '08 someday. Kind of scared of the cost though considering I'd still have to buy a new DD.

How many seconds faster is she now on same tracks?

2008 M3 Coupe / DCT // StopTech BBK 380/355 / Pagid RS29 / Motul / Apex Arc-8 / BFG R1S / Ground Control / MS filter / Performance spoiler / BPM tune // Road Atlanta 1:39.70 / VIR Full 2:10.87 / Barber 1:42.20
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 12:57 PM   #36
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapopa9 View Post
Wow man great write up. You have taken it to a whole new level! And 80 track days is insane and great testimate to how well built these are. Makes me miss my M3. My Z06 has to be fully rebuilt after every 5 track days I feel like...junk breaks everytime I drive it. haha! Hope to see you out there soon. I should be up at BW and AAA in October.
Thanks man! Yeah she's been holding up pretty great. Just had two days at Buttonwillow and Laguna last weekend. Car drove flawlessly.

Yeah, I was pretty bummed for you that day at Auto Club when you had problems with the Z06 in it's first session…….hehe You should have held on to that white E90 beast! You were flying in that thing!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 01:07 PM   #37
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXmtrhed View Post
Very nice build! IMO I would put in the rear door windows and replace the rear glass too. Leave the access to the trunk open but drill some vent holes along the top or bottom of the rear window to provide venting.
Yeah, I'm sure we'll put holes in the rear window when the time comes to deal with it. I'm in no hurry. The safety stuff is done now, which was my primary concern. Lightening the car is a luxury that I'll address as time goes on. I just bought one of those I/O Port CM1-2 GoPro camera mounts. My friend has one. They make a a great, stable platform for a roll bar mounted camera.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 01:12 PM   #38
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastek View Post
Very nice Gabe....
Love the new safety cage.
She is what i would have done to my e90 (minus blower)... im glad u went this far.
Cant wait to see u on track again. Always a pleasure.
Thanks Michael! That was a fun trip hanging with you guys up in NorCal.

I'm finally starting to get the car dialed in. It really is like driving a new car. So much is different. Was at Laguna on Monday and was running low 39's. But most importantly, I was working being more brave on the front straight. Looking at the AIM, I was holding the gas pedal all the way down until I crested and went to 95%. The car got up to GPS-speed 131.7mph before the braking zone for turn 2. I was pretty happy with that. The wing has gone a LLLONG way to making that hump on the the front straight feel more predictable and stable.

Hope to see you out there again soon!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 01:45 PM   #39
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper519 View Post
Nice build. Would love to do that with my '08 someday. Kind of scared of the cost though considering I'd still have to buy a new DD.

How many seconds faster is she now on same tracks?
Thanks!

It's taken some time to dial the car in with it's new configuration, and that process is still not complete yet. It really is like driving a different vehicle. The weight, wing, weight distribution, weight transfer, suspension feel, height of the car, braking zones, acceleration, alignment------literally everything is different.

I take my time to build confidence when it comes to tracking. Anyway, at Buttonwillow this weekend, I was on 5 day-old tires in 85 degree heat. That usually does not make for great lap times. But I was able to get to within 4/100th of a second of my PB there. In my experience, in those conditions with my old setup, I would have been 2 seconds off that pace. My PB was set on newer tires when it was 56 degrees out. So, I have no doubt that over the next few months the times will continue to drop.

It's interesting that when I first got the car back, I had to take a couple steps back and re-learn some things. The first and biggest thing that was glaring was the braking zones. Because the car is lighter, the braking zones can be as much as 150 feet later than they were. An amateur like me who's driven hundreds of laps in one car for several years does not simply just re-learn that instantly. My brain has those old points really stuck in my head. It's been interesting to watch the AIM solo data showing me how my braking points are moving later and later. I'm adjusting but it's taking some time.

I've actually done a second/different alignment since I got the car back. That has stabilized the braking feel. At first I thought the brake pads were too powerful now that the car was lighter. But now I don't feel that way. They feel great now that the car is more stable under heavy braking.

I've been adjusting the wing---dialing the angle of attack to a mellower setting. I think i'll probably set the front sway bar to a mellower setting to see if that gives me a bit more front grip back. If not, I may consider pushing the agenda of the front splitter a bit sooner. I'm not too excited about that for reasons I've mentioned before.

I'm still experimenting with the JRZ settings. I think the car feels pretty good, but maybe I can get a bit more front grip from the suspension settings too. We kept the same springs, which I think was the right idea with the wing in the rear. The front didn't lose much weight, and you can see from the pix on the track that the rear is definitely being pushed down by the wing, so I don't think I want to lower spring rates.

Anyway, all this stuff is in transition, and the temps have been very hot, so as I keep driving and learning the car and trying to set it up properly, I have no doubt the car will be faster. The ft/sec acceleration is definitely faster when you look at it on the AIM.

I'm actually quite annoyed with my AIM Solo DL………on Sunday, at Buttonwillow, it actually told me I had run a new PB (1:53.85), but the track transponder did not agree (1:54.07)……..hehe ah well…..It was quite a joyous moment in the car-----only to have the bubble burst when looking at the transponder print-out……boohoo
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2015, 03:20 PM   #40
Sleeper519
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 DCT

Thanks for the update. I LOVE tweaking the little things that go into tracking the car. I also get a little vicarious buzz just reading other people's journeys and experiences.

2008 M3 Coupe / DCT // StopTech BBK 380/355 / Pagid RS29 / Motul / Apex Arc-8 / BFG R1S / Ground Control / MS filter / Performance spoiler / BPM tune // Road Atlanta 1:39.70 / VIR Full 2:10.87 / Barber 1:42.20
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 04:09 PM   #41
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I LOVE tweaking the little things that go into tracking the car.
Me too. That's what I love about motorsport. There is endless tweaking that you can do. And I love that setups can differ from track to track. I have really enjoyed learning what each mod does for me. I've tried to add parts to the car one-by-one as much as possible so that I can feel the result.

Caging the car, and then feeling the differences from the whole job all at once totally threw me for a loop. That was one massive wholesale change. Heck, just driving with a race seat, harness and neck restraint was totally new. hehe just getting in and out of a caged car was totally new for me! So many new sensations. Over the last 3.5 years, as I've been driving more and more on track, I've felt that one thing I've constantly improved upon was my ability to tune things out and focus on certain things. There's so much noise and distractions and physical sensations when you're on track that it's overwhelming. As time goes on, I've learned to tune things out and focus on what I want. When I first got in the caged car-----oh my god----- it was just sensory overload all over again. haha! It was SO much louder inside, all the windows were "down" (gone), a harness and neck restraint pressing on all sorts of body parts, I was sitting quite a bit lower than stock, the suspension acts differently with the weight change---gotta figure new settings there, there were way more vibrations with all sound deadening out along with urethane engine mounts, the car was super tail happy before the wing, I was jammed into a race seat, car braking and turning was different. hehe my senses were back into full overload like when I was a newbie. This civil, leather-interior, fairly quiet car had turned into what seemed like a raging monster by comparison. But over the last 5 track days, I've regained quite a bit of control over my senses. And I'm much more aware of the process this time. It's really an awesome feeling to now be getting comfortable in this new setup. The car is awesome. Now if only I could look a little more graceful when getting out of it……
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 11:55 AM   #42
buddalun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911 x 2, Tesla M3P & MYP

Quote:
I also get a little vicarious buzz just reading other people's journeys and experiences.
I think we all do! It's also likely why we keep comin' back!

OP - Great work with your E90!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 02:18 AM   #43
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

what exactly causes you to be sitting lower? is it anything besides the seat its self? bracket? is it due to something specific like gutting the interior?
i'm asking because i wouldn't mind sitting an inch or two lower.
      09-12-2015, 03:28 AM   #44
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
what exactly causes you to be sitting lower? is it anything besides the seat its self? bracket? is it due to something specific like gutting the interior?
i'm asking because i wouldn't mind sitting an inch or two lower.
The Macht Schnell side brackets allow height adjustment for a racing seat. Also I do not have rail sliders which lowers the seat. And the racing seat doesn't have any technology or crazy features so it's simple and low to begin with. The Recaro mount made especially for that SPG seat was reallllly llloooowwwwwwwww. I could not sit that low. And it had no adjustment. I switched tot he Macht Schnell and I have plenty of adjustment choices in the front and rear.

I'm guessing here, but I don't think you can sit any lower with the stock seats.
Appreciate 1