BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

10-21-2020, 05:31 AM   #1
cannyjock
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 M3

AUX/Quadlock wiring

I'm trying to find out if there's a way to route AUX through the harness/quadlock, rather than from the AUX socket under the armrest in my UK April 2011 E90 M3 with CIC, combox and individual audio (the top one which might have a different name in the US).

The reason is that I've got a Carplay/Android Auto box which fits between the headunit and screen. Apparently it can output sound via AUX through the harness, and at least one person on the UK forum (M3cutters) seems to have it working like this, and also confirmed the sound is better this way compared to using the arm rest socket. When I've fitted it, I can only get it to output sound by plugging the AUX cable from the Carplay box into the socket.

I think this is possibly because the AUX in my car is taken only from the arm rest socket, also possibly because I have the $6FL option and can use the USB for MP3 on a stick, or full control of an iPod using lightening cable only. I don't care too much about these options and would prefer to be able to use AUX from the Carplay unit through the harness instead.

Does anyone know how the aux routes into the harness, and whether it's possible to change this in the way I want? Or could this be a coding option on CIC?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 06:43 AM   #2
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

Im not sure how someone was able to get that to work, the signal originates from the armrest jack goes to the combox and is processed and runs the MOST data bus back to the HU then the sound is sent to the amp module.

Name:  E9MYcVla.png
Views: 2498
Size:  33.7 KB

Im not entirely sure of the programming options available within the CIC unit as i dont have CIC in my car anymore, if you can do a readout of your CIC from ncs and post it on here or message it to me i can probably help you to code your HU to allow this but I do not know if it is possible.

see the above wiring diag to understand how the signal is sent to the HU as a digital signal

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 09:37 AM   #3
cannyjock
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 M3

Thank you, this is very useful. Do you have a legend that describes what the numbers above mean?

I'm trying to work out how they got this working without plugging in the AUX cable, however the unit I have suggests this could work according to the instructions, and if it doesn't then to use the cable. I've attached them here. It seems that there is some way to use AUX input without going via the under arm rest socket, but it may be version or option dependent.

I'm not set up to code yet, if I need to I will though.

Thanks again for your help.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 12:19 PM   #4
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannyjock View Post
Thank you, this is very useful. Do you have a legend that describes what the numbers above mean?

I'm trying to work out how they got this working without plugging in the AUX cable, however the unit I have suggests this could work according to the instructions, and if it doesn't then to use the cable. I've attached them here. It seems that there is some way to use AUX input without going via the under arm rest socket, but it may be version or option dependent.

I'm not set up to code yet, if I need to I will though.

Thanks again for your help.
https://pinoutguide.com/Car-Stereo-A...n_pinout.shtml

I don't know if this is of any help, it looks like the carsana are referencing the connector they show here as "Block D", but it doesn't look like that accurately describes the aux pins shown in the diagram?
      12-13-2020, 11:57 PM   #5
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannyjock View Post
I'm trying to find out if there's a way to route AUX through the harness/quadlock, rather than from the AUX socket under the armrest in my UK April 2011 E90 M3 with CIC, combox and individual audio (the top one which might have a different name in the US).

The reason is that I've got a Carplay/Android Auto box which fits between the headunit and screen. Apparently it can output sound via AUX through the harness, and at least one person on the UK forum (M3cutters) seems to have it working like this, and also confirmed the sound is better this way compared to using the arm rest socket. When I've fitted it, I can only get it to output sound by plugging the AUX cable from the Carplay box into the socket.

I think this is possibly because the AUX in my car is taken only from the arm rest socket, also possibly because I have the $6FL option and can use the USB for MP3 on a stick, or full control of an iPod using lightening cable only. I don't care too much about these options and would prefer to be able to use AUX from the Carplay unit through the harness instead.

Does anyone know how the aux routes into the harness, and whether it's possible to change this in the way I want? Or could this be a coding option on CIC?
Aux wire in armrest goes to combox or mulfII in the trunk depending on which you have.