BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

11-19-2018, 12:15 AM   #1
TanDaMan
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E90

Limp mode after throttle actuators replaced

Hey fellas, in need of some suggestions. So I had been getting intermittent codes for the throttle actuator failures. I ordered a pair of actuators from M motorsport and finally made some time to change them out. Drove fine for a few days and didnt have any issues but today while on my way to a Dyno run we stopped at a gas station for a friend to fuel up and after I started the car back up it went into limp mode and was idling pretty bad. Seemed like it was misfiring. I cleared the codes and started it back up again and no issues. When I got to the shop to dyno it same thing happened, so i cleared the codes and started back up like normal. Put it on the dyno and I wasnt too impressed with the numbers. AA stage 2 and only ran 480 whp. thought it might be the mustang dyno since some others had low numbers. As I was going home I made a couple stops and every time I turned the car off it and started it, itwent into limp mode so I cleared codes and started again and it ran fine. Finally I went out a couple hours later to read the codes again and the car had no codes and seems to start fine now. Only thing I can think of is that I didnt clear adaptations.
Last code I had was 161D.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 04:28 AM   #2
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

It sucks, but sometimes TAs fail right after install. You might have gotten a remanufactured one that was not in good shape. See this thread.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...highlight=161D

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 02:38 PM   #3
z3papa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3 ZCP, 07 335i

This past summer, I had a series of repairs to address codes including limp mode codes. First, fuel pressure sensors, followed by TA, which the dealer swore would resolve the issue but brought back CEL's, and then on my own, I installed new plugs and 02 sensor which low and behold resolved the issue. In hindsight, I'd have to say that while the last repair finished the issues, the last was probably a by-product of the car running to rich while suffering from TA issues, and this caused the spark plugs to foul and sensor to puke.
      11-19-2018, 11:19 PM   #4
TanDaMan
Private
Rep

Thanks!! Good to know. I'm gonna try and reset the adaptations today and see if that makes a difference. Then go from there. Hopefully I don't have the change out the TA again
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 12:49 AM   #5
Abdul
Captain
Rep
Drives: E39 M5/E92 M3/E60 M5/F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanDaMan View Post
Thanks!! Good to know. I'm gonna try and reset the adaptations today and see if that makes a difference. Then go from there. Hopefully I don't have the change out the TA again
Let me know if resetting the adaptations works for you. Just PM or call me. We have sold hundreds of units this year alone to customers all across the world. Never had an issue other than a few being damaged during shipping that we replaced immediately or they were installed incorrectly. So just call me and we can figure it out.

Thanks, brother!

Abdul
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 10:07 AM   #6
TanDaMan
Private
Rep

So I havent had limp mode for a couple days now. Reset the adaptations but still have codes popping up on my P3.

272D
272E

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 04:20 PM   #7
malem
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, X5 50i, F430, 911 RS

What software are you guys using to reset the throttle adaptation. Bavarian Technic doesn't support coding on E92 M3.
Appreciate 0