BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

11-06-2020, 06:10 AM   #23
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
I ended up with a stock felt piece from FCPEuro for the lifetime replacements.

Nothing beats lightweight and easier to remove.
Same I ended up with a brand new oem assembly, I would say my car is fairly low and im in NYC, im not sure how these guys on here drive your cars for these underpanels to get destroyed in such a small space of time.

fwiw IMO, I kept the felt underpanel on my car because if I were to run something over it would destroy the felt as opposed to destroying the metal underpanel and having it take out other components under the car.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 1
M4_GTS1152.50
      11-06-2020, 10:15 AM   #24
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrazM View Post
Same I ended up with a brand new oem assembly, I would say my car is fairly low and im in NYC, im not sure how these guys on here drive your cars for these underpanels to get destroyed in such a small space of time.

fwiw IMO, I kept the felt underpanel on my car because if I were to run something over it would destroy the felt as opposed to destroying the metal underpanel and having it take out other components under the car.
I completely agree. While the felt is lower, outside of driveways, there isn't a large issue of scraping the felt for me personally. That said, I'm not as low as most folks here.

A large reason I wanted to retain the felt is because it is design to fail when hit to protect the other components. When I spun out at Laguna, my under tray got ripped apart yet the fasteners for the tray to the bumper were still there with no damage to the bumper.

I don't know if the extra "aero" downforce from the undertray is worth anything either but I definitely felt a difference on my way home without it.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 1
M4_GTS1152.50
      11-06-2020, 11:25 AM   #25
M4_GTS
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrazM View Post

I agree, I really don't see how they can be running over things all the time. Maybe it's time to get the eyes checked or get new eyeglasses.

Quote:
I completely agree. While the felt is lower, outside of driveways, there isn't a large issue of scraping the felt for me personally. That said, I'm not as low as most folks here.

A large reason I wanted to retain the felt is because it is design to fail when hit to protect the other components. When I spun out at Laguna, my under tray got ripped apart yet the fasteners for the tray to the bumper were still there with no damage to the bumper.

I don't know if the extra "aero" downforce from the undertray is worth anything either but I definitely felt a difference on my way home without it.
You bring up another great point with the aero. They also designed that undertray with getting air to and out of the oil cooler in mind too.

The Turner one is bolted to the frame, I can't imagine what would happen if you had that one on your car when you spun.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 11:32 AM   #26
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4_GTS View Post
I agree, I really don't see how they can be running over things all the time. Maybe it's time to get the eyes checked or get new eyeglasses.

You bring up another great point with the aero. They also designed that undertray with getting air to and out of the oil cooler in mind too.

The Turner one is bolted to the frame, I can't imagine what would happen if you had that one on your car when you spun.
Most undertrays have the cooler openings like the stock one so I think that is okay for the metal ones.

I'm not sure either. I assume the additional clearance would've reduce the amount of damage when going into the gravel trap and the extra rigidity would have resisted some damage. If the energy of say a hit to the wall was higher, I would imagine the Turner under tray would transfer a lot of that energy towards the frame connection points as well. I may be overthinking the damage aspect as chassis-mounted splitters on race cars seem to be okay lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 12:40 PM   #27
M4_GTS
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Quote:
Most undertrays have the cooler openings like the stock one so I think that is okay for the metal ones.

Yeah, there is an opening there. But I am mostly referring to how the shape of the undertray helps draws air in and out of the cooler.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 12:49 PM   #28
wheezyF
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

I have the mporium and like most aftermarket skid plates, it sits nearly flat. Nothing protruding out like the oem felt pieces. If you're driving low enough to the point where something you hit will damage the plate, any underpart component of the car will be fair game as well.

If you're driving stock height or only slightly lowered, I don't see how you can damage the mporium tray unless you run over a boulder lmao
Appreciate 1
nah dude237.00
      11-06-2020, 01:23 PM   #29
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheezyF View Post
I have the mporium and like most aftermarket skid plates, it sits nearly flat. Nothing protruding out like the oem felt pieces. If you're driving low enough to the point where something you hit will damage the plate, any underpart component of the car will be fair game as well.

If you're driving stock height or only slightly lowered, I don't see how you can damage the mporium tray unless you run over a boulder lmao
Runoff gravel traps are pretty deep..lol
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 01:41 PM   #30
wheezyF
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Runoff gravel traps are pretty deep..lol
I was talking about street driving but like you mentioned, I believe the extra rigidity and clearance will allow the aftermarket pieces to be pretty durable.

If these scenarios are devastating enough to do significant structural damage to chassis mounted splitters/rigid skid plates, I don't think having oem pieces will fare any better, especially if your car sits low
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 01:50 PM   #31
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
I was talking about street driving but like you mentioned, I believe the extra rigidity and clearance will allow the aftermarket pieces to be pretty durable.

If these scenarios are devastating enough to do significant structural damage to chassis mounted splitters/rigid skid plates, I don't think having oem pieces will fare any better, especially if your car sits low
Totally agree on that. I guess as long as I got that little piece that was held on by the bumper fasteners, I can return it to FCP without an issue.

Can't beat lightness. I definitely aren't as low as most folks are as I only hit the side pieces during driveways.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 02:00 PM   #32
wheezyF
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Totally agree on that. I guess as long as I got that little piece that was held on by the bumper fasteners, I can return it to FCP without an issue.

Can't beat lightness. I definitely aren't as low as most folks are as I only hit the side pieces during driveways.
Yup, since my car sits significantly lower than stock I have no choice but to run flat skid plates. I have nothing left of my oem piece which is surprising to some considering I drive fairly cautiously.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 02:11 PM   #33
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Yup, since my car sits significantly lower than stock I have no choice but to run flat skid plates. I have nothing left of my oem piece which is surprising to some considering I drive fairly cautiously.
The things you do to look good.

I'm only 10mm below ZCP height. This is primary cause I don't care for being that low and the compromises of driving that low are. Been there, done that.
Appreciate 1
wheezyF59.50
      11-06-2020, 06:03 PM   #34
rockstar93
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC; E92 M3

Garage List
I needed the flat aftermarket because there's no chance an OEM one survives. I've been through two already.

No I don't need my eyes checked. No my car isn't too low (factory height up until 2 months ago, now it's at Bilstein B12 height - which is close to stock). I drive mine year round and up here in winter snow + ice gets measured in feet (well, cm but you get the point) and temps as cold as -40° where the OEM pieces get even more brittle than they already are.

Flat, metal undertrays serve the purpose for me. Aero is certainly better than a non-existent or destroyed tray, and I can't see mine weighing much more than stock at ~3lbs.
E86 Z4M Coupe Interlagos Blue/Black
E92 M3 Coupe 6MT Interlagos Blue/Fox Red - Build Thread
Appreciate 1
derbo3607.00
      11-06-2020, 06:38 PM   #35
CravingBavaria
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar93 View Post
I needed the flat aftermarket because there's no chance an OEM one survives. I've been through two already.

No I don't need my eyes checked. No my car isn't too low (factory height up until 2 months ago, now it's at Bilstein B12 height - which is close to stock). I drive mine year round and up here in winter snow + ice gets measured in feet (well, cm but you get the point) and temps as cold as -40° where the OEM pieces get even more brittle than they already are.

Flat, metal undertrays serve the purpose for me. Aero is certainly better than a non-existent or destroyed tray, and I can't see mine weighing much more than stock at ~3lbs.
Even with all this talk in the other comments I'm still with you my friend. The only comment that got me hesitant is the idea of "warping" the curved bumper by installing a flat plate. This might be way overstated, but in the same way I don't want to drill holes in bumper for an Mporium plate, I would prefer not warping my bumper either... lol
      11-16-2020, 01:08 PM   #36
MisterClutch888
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT ZCP

There is also the Pinnacle Motorsport one, any users here?
Slow Build
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 08:08 PM   #37
Battle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingBavaria View Post
Even with all this talk in the other comments I'm still with you my friend. The only comment that got me hesitant is the idea of "warping" the curved bumper by installing a flat plate. This might be way overstated, but in the same way I don't want to drill holes in bumper for an Mporium plate, I would prefer not warping my bumper either... lol
You don’t drill into your bumper. You use your bumper holes to drill into the emporium tray
Appreciate 3
      07-20-2022, 08:43 PM   #38
kooolaid
Private
Rep
Drives: e93 M3 Lexus GS300

I also installed one from

Made of Aircraft Grade Aluminum, reinforced with rear bends and L-brackets and powder coated with Mil-spec coating.

This is plug and play with all hardwares provided from Bolt, Nuts, Washers and rubber seals.

And half the price compare to other brands.

It fits and looks perfect.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 09:45 PM   #39
13-M3-Vert
Rep
Drives: 13-M3-Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooolaid View Post
Anyone know if these are still available?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2022, 12:05 PM   #40
smokinjoe64
Naval Aviator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 e92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooolaid View Post

Made of Aircraft Grade Aluminum, reinforced with rear bends and L-brackets and powder coated with Mil-spec coating.

This is plug and play with all hardwares provided from Bolt, Nuts, Washers and rubber seals.

And half the price compare to other brands.

It fits and looks perfect.
100% Agree...Winston, the proprietor, is really good guy and the AL undertray is light weight with perfect fitment.
Been running it ~2yrs...saved my a$$ from 'more, worser' damage recently from a hwy debris incident [piece of steel].

If that OE 'felt cardboard' been present, the damage would've been greater than the $15K repair cost.

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 01:45 AM   #41
Oreo Cat
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

turner motorsport one for me, mounts to the frame of the car and is sturdy. drove my bumper up onto a curb and back off of it without damage to the bumper, fenders, or anything underneath. just a few scratches on the skid plate. (dumb accident I know but it saved my front end)
also hit a rock on the freeway while avoiding a crash and had to go on the shoulder, took a dent and left some bare metal but no other damage
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 10:53 AM   #42
TboneS54
YNWA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 M3 6spd & 2011 M3 DCT

Anyone one know if that MLT one from Winston also causes the bumper to be mishapen (referred to as wavy earlier in this thread), after install?
      03-07-2023, 07:56 AM   #43
M3JayM
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 (e92)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
My OEM belly pan is all torn up so time to replace it. Debating between FCPEuro OEM or MLT aluminum…
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 02:55 PM   #44
deansbimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Just popping in here to add some detail about our Aluminum undertray, which is the original flat panel undertray. As a Gold sponsor we support this forum monetarily every month which helps to keep this resource online, the sellers on social media do not. We appreciate the support in return.

Our undertray does not require drilling additional holes into the bumper to install- it uses the original holes as drill guides which accommodates variations from car to car. IF you want to however, you can add as many additional holes and screws as you want to secure the bumper or aftermarket carbon lips more securely.

On that note, our tray is a 1/8" aluminum material so the panel is just thick enough to drill and tap for locating additional holes wherever you want. Other panels are too thin so you're limited to wherever the nut-serts are placed (which may or may not be located where you need them). Thickness adds to the protection of the undercarriage, and is also a primary reason our panel is a little more expensive.

Don't be concerned about a "wave" caused by flattening the underside of the curved bumper. It is completely acceptable to secure the undertray only at the flat outer sections of the bumper cover, and leave the rounded center section unsecured. It has no effect on rigidity or function and we install them this way on customer request in our shop.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1439553
Appreciate 1
derbo3607.00