BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

10-29-2008, 09:56 PM   #67
Ronin13
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, RRS Supercharged, S2K

1. not being able to save all the m-drive settings as key dependent 2. electronic dipstick
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2008, 10:00 PM   #68
REP1KRR
My other car is a Scooter'ia
Rep
Drives: M3 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Why not just look at the tach?
Good thought. Humm. Although, I think a gear indicator would be a nice luxury, along with all the other luxuries our new M offers us.

A91 Edition Supra | Armytrix | Rays
M3 Saloon | Akrapovic EVO | B&G Sport
M3 Saloon | VF540 | Klässen ID M52-R | Akrapovic | Vorsteiner GTS5 | KarbonWerke CSL [SOLD]
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2008, 10:31 PM   #69
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
I don't have CA so its most convenient for me to get the keys out of my hand (and into the ignition) before putting on the seatbelt. Its further most convenient to hit the start button as I am doing so. Well, as soon as I do that, I get the chimes. Really annoying. At least give me until the car starts moving until you give me a warning.

The same warning occurs if I open the door after coming home before removing the key. Again, spare me please, you are waking up my son. Yes, I could just remove the key first but its a bit of a hard habit to break, being as how I am used to CA in the 335i.
Ok, I didn't know any of that. I have CA and I have DCT. I don't think the chime even occurs until the car is in motion in my car. Now I understand why there are so many complaints. Seems to me the chime should never occur until the car is set into motion. Thanks for the explaination.

Last edited by skierman64; 10-31-2008 at 05:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2008, 10:38 PM   #70
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by REP1KRR View Post
Good thought. Humm. Although, I think a gear indicator would be a nice luxury, along with all the other luxuries our new M offers us.

Actually, the gear indicator on the DCT takes the place of the BC display. So with DCT you can't display temp, time, and a BC mode like fuel mileage. I find it somewhat annoying. I like the fact that the 6MT can display three items on the dash and (if I was a 6MT owner) I wouldn't want to loose that capability in order to get a gear indicator. I think the tach vs speed should be your gear indicator. My $.02.
      10-29-2008, 11:11 PM   #71
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by REP1KRR View Post
3. No gear indicator option on the dash. Sometimes 4th/6th is hard to distriguish at freeway speeds. You have to actually look at the shifter.
How do you not know what gear you're in when you're driving? Can't you remember what gear you just put it into?
      10-29-2008, 11:24 PM   #72
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't have CA so its most convenient for me to get the keys out of my hand (and into the ignition) before putting on the seatbelt. Its further most convenient to hit the start button as I am doing so. Well, as soon as I do that, I get the chimes. Really annoying. At least give me until the car starts moving until you give me a warning.

The same warning occurs if I open the door after coming home before removing the key. Again, spare me please, you are waking up my son. Yes, I could just remove the key first but its a bit of a hard habit to break, being as how I am used to CA in the 335i.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierman64 View Post
Ok, I didn't know any of that. I have CA and I have DCT. I don't think the chime even occurs until the car is in motion in my car. Now I understand why there are so many complaints. Seems to me the chime should never occur until the car is set into motion. Thanks for the explaination.
My '09 6MT doesn't have this problem either. My seatbelt chime doesn't occur unless the car is in motion. mkoesel, I think the chime you experience (at least when you're exiting the car) is a warning that your keys are still in the ignition, not for your seatbelt.

Quote:
Actually, the gear indicator on the DCT takes the place of the BC display. So with DCT you can't display temp, time, and a BC mode like fuel mileage. I find it somewhat annoying. I like the fact that the 6MT can display three items on the dash and (if I was a 6MT owner) I wouldn't want to loose that capability in order to get a gear indicator. I think the tach vs speed should be your gear indicator. My $.02.
Exactly, I really like having that third indicator. There's absolutely no need for a gear indicator. If you can't remember what gear you just put it in or can't tell what gear youre in based on the speed and RPMs, you have no business driving period, manual or otherwise.
      10-29-2008, 11:31 PM   #73
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3

I pretty much like everything but the one thing I wish I could change would be the default launch control RPM.

I'm not a huge fan of the speed sensitive steering either, I think it makes the car a bit less precise than it otherwise could be.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 08:55 AM   #74
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Actually, the gear indicator on the DCT takes the place of the BC display.
Wow, skierman64, I didn't know that. What I mean is, that is not the case for single hump cars. I get both the gear indicator and BC display. Of course I don't get all the other neat gadgets included with ZTP and Nav so there's a trade-off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
My '09 6MT doesn't have this problem either. My seatbelt chime doesn't occur unless the car is in motion. mkoesel, I think the chime you experience (at least when you're exiting the car) is a warning that your keys are still in the ignition, not for your seatbelt..
That could very well be TLud.

However, the chime is still insanely annoying. And here's the thing, since I have had my car, I have stopped using CA in the wife's car much (as I knew I would) simply because its easier to just have a set routine when you get in the car. And still, in her car the *GONG* is both not nearly as annoying of a tone, and also, most importantly, not even half the volume it is in my car. I really don't understand it. Why does the gong have to thunder loudly throughout my garage, overtaking the engine note itself and waking up sleeping chipmunks and neighbors? In fact, I believe it actually confuses the neighbors and makes them think there is a tornado warning or possibly that aliens are landing. Ok, so that's just exaggeration, but still. It's literally like some guy is beating a tympany drum in my front seat.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 11:05 AM   #75
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Wow, skierman64, I didn't know that. What I mean is, that is not the case for single hump cars. I get both the gear indicator and BC display. Of course I don't get all the other neat gadgets included with ZTP and Nav so there's a trade-off.
With 6MT both of these little screens show BC information. So there's time, temperature and speed (range/consumption/oil level) shown at the same time. Is it the same with DCT?

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 11:10 AM   #76
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

A HUD like the one on the M5 would be nice.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 11:15 AM   #77
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
With 6MT both of these little screens show BC information. So there's time, temperature and speed (range/consumption/oil level) shown at the same time. Is it the same with DCT?

Best regards, south
Well, kinda south.

With M-DCT only the upper screen shows BC info. The lower screen is dedicated to showing M-DCT stats, but will also be pre-empted if you change the BC to go into date/time settings, lighting settings, or other functions of the BC in a single hump car. In those case, somewhat awkwardly, the gear indicator is still there in the middle of the lower screen amongst the other info. Its a bit of a hack I must say.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 11:22 AM   #78
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That could very well be TLud.

However, the chime is still insanely annoying. And here's the thing, since I have had my car, I have stopped using CA in the wife's car much (as I knew I would) simply because its easier to just have a set routine when you get in the car. And still, in her car the *GONG* is both not nearly as annoying of a tone, and also, most importantly, not even half the volume it is in my car. I really don't understand it. Why does the gong have to thunder loudly throughout my garage, overtaking the engine note itself and waking up sleeping chipmunks and neighbors? In fact, I believe it actually confuses the neighbors and makes them think there is a tornado warning or possibly that aliens are landing. Ok, so that's just exaggeration, but still. It's literally like some guy is beating a tympany drum in my front seat.
I understand, and I'd be really annoyed too. It sounds like non-CA equipped cars are a little different from those with CA. Also, for '09, you can turn down the volume on the gong/chime so that it's not loud at all.

EDIT: After your post last night, I checked exactly what happens in my car. As soon as I turn the car on without my seatbelt on, I get three chimes/gongs (they are pretty faint because I turned the volume down). The car is then silent until I've started driving for a bit. The car remains silent once I've parked and taken my seatbelt off.

Last edited by TLud; 10-30-2008 at 11:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 11:27 AM   #79
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Well, kinda south.

With M-DCT only the upper screen shows BC info. The lower screen is dedicated to showing M-DCT stats, but will also be pre-empted if you change the BC to go into date/time settings, lighting settings, or other functions of the BC in a single hump car. In those case, somewhat awkwardly, the gear indicator is still there in the middle of the lower screen amongst the other info. Its a bit of a hack I must say.
I see. That seems to be like the low fuel warning when the reach is under 50km (30miles?). What is shown in the screen then?

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 11:53 AM   #80
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

Quote:
I'm truly amazed at the number of drivers here that don't wear their seatbelts. The only time I've ever heard the seat belt chime in 6 months of ownership is driving around the paddock at the track at 10 mph or less. Does the 6MT chime even with the car in neutral?
it's not that i don't wear my seat belt, because i do whenever i'm on public streets, but like when i go from my mailbox to my driveway, i never wear my belt and the chime is very annoying.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 12:02 PM   #81
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
I understand, and I'd be really annoyed too. It sounds like non-CA equipped cars are a little different from those with CA. Also, for '09, you can turn down the volume on the gong/chime so that it's not loud at all.
Maybe its a bug in non-ZTP cars but I cannot turn the volume down. It could be an 08 vs. 09 differenece too, no idea. But basically, I go into the settings and try and turn down the volume for "gong" and it does something very wierd. What it does is, it immediately turns the volume of the radio up to match what is set for the gong. That in itself makes no sense - it literally blows my eardrums because it is so loud. Following that, I can then reduce the volume of the gong, but it does not save it. Instead, the next time the gong comes on its is just as loud and ear-shattering and not really good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
I see. That seems to be like the low fuel warning when the reach is under 50km (30miles?). What is shown in the screen then?
When the low fuel indicator comes on, it occupies the upper (smaller) BC LCD. This means that, under that particular condition, on any persistent basis, I am not able to see the normal stats on that screen. However, the lower screen still displays the gear and Drivelogic mode as normal.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 12:04 PM   #82
MJC///M3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3

standard brembos would be nice
"You will get there, but it is up to you and you alone. It is what you are willing to do, and how you are willing to get there. You must be relentless, you must be tireless, you must pursue at all costs, so that you are ready, when the time is right." -Dad
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 01:14 PM   #83
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SSII E90 M3

What do you guys mean by "Orange Peel" paint...?
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

"M3 drivers have no friends." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 01:52 PM   #84
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerM3 View Post
What do you guys mean by "Orange Peel" paint...?
Quote:
Orange peel (effect)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Orange peel is a certain kind of finish that may develop on painted surfaces and cast surfaces.[1] The texture resembles the bumpy surface of the skin of an orange (fruit) hence the name.

Gloss paint sprayed on a smooth surface (such as the body of a car) should also dry into a smooth surface. However, various factors can cause it to dry into a bumpy surface resembling the texture of an orange peel. The orange peel phenomenon can then be smoothed out with ultra-fine sandpaper, but it can be prevented altogether by changing the painting technique or the materials used. Orange peel is typically the result of improper painting technique, and is caused by the quick evaporation of thinner, incorrect spray gun setup (e.g., low air pressure or incorrect nozzle), spraying the paint at an angle other than perpendicular, or applying excessive paint.

In some situations, such as interior house paint, the orange peel texture is generally desirable. In this case, a texture paint is generally applied with a spray gun. The texture is then painted over with the appropriate color. When painting walls, orange peel can also develop by using a roller with too little paint or too thick a paint and the surface dries before the texture can level.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 02:00 PM   #85
HotLap
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Vert / 535i Twin turbo

Love the car but there are a few things:

1) For a $78K car (retail), it should have come with floormats, wheel locks, and factory alarm...my $64K 535i came with all of these

2) Oil dipstick as a back up to the sensor. I plan on changing my oil every 5K miles about every other time between the CBS BMW services.

3) Chrome/Satin beltline and hard top trim - should be the shadow trim like on my 535i sport.

4) Front fender ends (above headlights) seem "plasticy" and cheap...I realize it's for weight savings but could be fastened down better at the front end.

5) Cheesy cupholders and ashtrays...would rather have a "smoker's package" as an option so those of us who don't smoke could have storage bins and power outlets instead.

6) 1200 mile break in period is killiing me

7) Programmable shift lights for the 6mt - why would only the auto get these???
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 02:02 PM   #86
HotLap
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Vert / 535i Twin turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
A HUD like the one on the M5 would be nice.
I have HUD on mty 535 - it is sweet!! Mph and nav (arrow instructions) are nice to have at eye level.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 09:16 PM   #87
OddJobs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 E82 Mineral Grey M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurotrash8 View Post
+1.

That can be rectified though with the addition of a SSK.
+3

Gas Can
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2008, 10:00 PM   #88
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

I miss having an oval rearview mirror

A backup camera would _really_ be nice, too.
Appreciate 0