BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

07-26-2011, 10:26 AM   #1
Talk2meg00se
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Enough is enough; time to track this bad boy

Looking for track recommendations - specifically, looking for something relatively close to NYC (within 100 mi radius?).

Also: how does this work? You just show up and start taking it around the track? Sounds dangerous. I suspect that I'd probably require some training of some sort. Thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 10:39 AM   #2
elh0102
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe

I recommend you begin with one of the car club HPDE events. BMW, Audi, Porsche and others sponsor such events. The events are specifically structured as schools, combining track time and classroom instruction. Enrollment usually fills up early, so you need to get affiliated with a club or two and get the early mailings. You will be assigned an in-car instructor. There are other ways to get track time in less structured environment, but I recommend focusing on the club schools first. Yes, there is risk involved, but it is greatly alleviated under the instructional schools, and the track will offer comprehensive emergency support, if needed. During the last 10 years, I have probably averaged 6 track weekends a year, with each one involving 100-120 cars, in 4 or 5 run groups. I’ve seen 4 or 5 injuries, mostly minor, and unfortunately one death. On average, probably one car per school goes in the wall, resulting in substantial damage. Hope this information helps.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 10:58 AM   #3
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2meg00se View Post
Looking for track recommendations - specifically, looking for something relatively close to NYC (within 100 mi radius?).

Also: how does this work? You just show up and start taking it around the track? Sounds dangerous. I suspect that I'd probably require some training of some sort. Thoughts on this would be appreciated.
You can contact the BMW Car Club of America (BMWCCA), or Porsche Club of America (PCA) or the Sports Car Driving Association
(SCDA - http://www.scda1.com/)

These organization rent facilities and provide instruction. You can bring your car on track in a and safe environment for a reasonable price.

SCDA sponsors events at New Jersey Motorsports Park and at Lime Rock. Both are reasonably close to New York City. Lime Rock is an easy day trip. I do it almost every weekend and once you are out of the Metro NY area the ride is mainly along picturesque rural roads.

Patroon (Albany) Chapter of BMWCCA is having an event at Lime Rock on Aug 19th and 20th.
http://www.bmwcca.org/node/2509

If you go to www.bmwcca.org and go to the chapter sites and look at the event schedules you will see that several chapters are having driving events at Lime Rock and New Jersey Motorsports Park in the next few weeks. The Genesse Valley Chapter is having an event at Watkins Glen August 24th and 25th. Watkins Glen is a great facility but is a bit far and not a day trip from NYC.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England

Last edited by captainaudio; 07-26-2011 at 11:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 10:59 AM   #4
donovan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: R8 - Ford Raptor

I would sign up with ...like said above, some type of racing club. BMWCCA is good I hear. Also, get that thing in good track spec. The car comes from the factory pretty damn awesome. I threw some springs on and did a catless system. However depending on how wide spread your tracking experience and experiences are to come you might want to fully upgrade the suspension system. Also if your really in depth, get a few electronics to monitor G and corner speed and all types of other little deals to enhance your speeds in the right place.

Helmet also, and open mind and slow in fast out

Audi R8 v10
Ford Raptor
m3e46freak@yahoo.comfor all euro parts!!
ebay/craigslist verified/ m3post/e46fanantics/m3forum/zpost/bimmerforum
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 11:02 AM   #5
///My5UV
Lurker
Rep
Drives: YMB F80, SS E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by elh0102 View Post
On average, probably one car per school goes in the wall, resulting in substantial damage. Hope this information helps.
Seriously!? In the dozens of DE's I've been to I've only seen one car hit the wall and that was a mechanical failure. Lots of cars go off into the grass and I once saw a Porsche get stuck in the grass, which caught on fire and roasted it.

The FIRST thing people need to understand is where on track you have safe runoff and where you need to respect the terrain. Do this and you'll learn tons and stay safe.

The NJ chapter is doing a HPDE August 19th in Millville...is that close enough for you?
      07-26-2011, 11:19 AM   #6
Talk2meg00se
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by donovan View Post
I would sign up with ...like said above, some type of racing club. BMWCCA is good I hear. Also, get that thing in good track spec. The car comes from the factory pretty damn awesome. I threw some springs on and did a catless system. However depending on how wide spread your tracking experience and experiences are to come you might want to fully upgrade the suspension system. Also if your really in depth, get a few electronics to monitor G and corner speed and all types of other little deals to enhance your speeds in the right place.

Helmet also, and open mind and slow in fast out
Is it mistake to take a stock e92 to the track?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 11:26 AM   #7
dizzyj
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
its a mistake NOT to track a stock e92
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 11:26 AM   #8
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not at all. BMW is the official car of Lime Rock and supplies several M3s for use as Pace Cars, for Hot Laps and for use by members of the Drivers Club. These cars spend the majority of their life being driven hard on the track and have been very relaible. The stock E92 isan excellent track day car.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 11:34 AM   #9
elh0102
Captain
Rep

Quote:
On the contrary, it is by far the best way. You will have time to decide whether more involved participation is for you. First learn to drive your car.

Last edited by elh0102; 07-26-2011 at 12:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 11:34 AM   #10
Talk2meg00se
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
You can contact the BMW Car Club of America (BMWCCA), or Porsche Club of America (PCA) or the Sports Car Driving Association
(SCDA - http://www.scda1.com/)

These organization rent facilities and provide instruction. You can bring your car on track in a and safe environment for a reasonable price.

SCDA sponsors events at New Jersey Motorsports Park and at Lime Rock. Both are reasonably close to New York City. Lime Rock is an easy day trip. I do it almost every weekend and once you are out of the Metro NY area the ride is mainly along picturesque rural roads.

Patroon (Albany) Chapter of BMWCCA is having an event at Lime Rock on Aug 19th and 20th.
http://www.bmwcca.org/node/2509

If you go to www.bmwcca.org and go to the chapter sites and look at the event schedules you will see that several chapters are having driving events at Lime Rock and New Jersey Motorsports Park in the next few weeks. The Genesse Valley Chapter is having an event at Watkins Glen August 24th and 25th. Watkins Glen is a great facility but is a bit far and not a day trip from NYC.

CA
This information is very helpful, btw. Will contact BMWCCA.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 11:50 AM   #11
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This information is very helpful, btw. Will contact BMWCCA.
The Ferrari Challenge race is this Saturday at Lime Rock. You may want to attend to get yourself familiar with the facility in case you decide to do a track day.

http://www.limerock.com/index.php?op...273&Itemid=141

CA

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 12:23 PM   #12
elh0102
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///My5UV View Post
Seriously!? In the dozens of DE's I've been to I've only seen one car hit the wall and that was a mechanical failure. Lots of cars go off into the grass and I once saw a Porsche get stuck in the grass, which caught on fire and roasted it.

The FIRST thing people need to understand is where on track you have safe runoff and where you need to respect the terrain. Do this and you'll learn tons and stay safe.

The NJ chapter is doing a HPDE August 19th in Millville...is that close enough for you?
This will differ a lot with specific tracks, of course. Most of my track experience is at VIR. It is a beautiful course, but has some relatively technical portions, as well as a few places that are very undesirable for offs. As with both street and race crashes, most of these were avoidable and should not have happened, and resulted from ego trumping brain.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 12:59 PM   #13
1Sleeper
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31

A suggestion and I think it was mentioned. If you go to the Skip Barber High Performance Driving School (Lime Rock), you can drive an M3 on both an Autocross track and the big track. You can also get some seat time in a Lotus, a few P cars and Lexus IS-F. They drive the piss out of the M3's. Great way to get familiar with the track, some track experience and get a better handle on your skills. Oh, yeah, with their cars not yours.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 01:54 PM   #14
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Sleeper View Post
A suggestion and I think it was mentioned. If you go to the Skip Barber High Performance Driving School (Lime Rock), you can drive an M3 on both an Autocross track and the big track. You can also get some seat time in a Lotus, a few P cars and Lexus IS-F. They drive the piss out of the M3's. Great way to get familiar with the track, some track experience and get a better handle on your skills. Oh, yeah, with their cars not yours.
+1. Beat me to it. I highly recommend the Skip Barber High Performance Driving School at Lime Rock or any other facility they run at. Well worth the money. Again, you get to drive their M3s and decide if it's for you, and then do the next step of an HPDE in your car with SCDA, NASA, Hooked on Driving, PCA, BMWCCA, etc. The instructors at Skip Barber are excellent.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 01:57 PM   #15
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
During the last 10 years, I have probably averaged 6 track weekends a year, with each one involving 100-120 cars, in 4 or 5 run groups. I’ve seen 4 or 5 injuries, mostly minor, and unfortunately one death. On average, probably one car per school goes in the wall, resulting in substantial damage. Hope this information helps.
Yikes! What were the circumstances of the incident? I've seen plenty of bent cars so far, but luckily nothing worse at this point.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 02:32 PM   #16
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

Quote:
I recommend you begin with one of the car club HPDE events. BMW, Audi, Porsche and others sponsor such events. The events are specifically structured as schools, combining track time and classroom instruction. Enrollment usually fills up early, so you need to get affiliated with a club or two and get the early mailings. You will be assigned an in-car instructor. There are other ways to get track time in less structured environment, but I recommend focusing on the club schools first. Yes, there is risk involved, but it is greatly alleviated under the instructional schools, and the track will offer comprehensive emergency support, if needed. During the last 10 years, I have probably averaged 6 track weekends a year, with each one involving 100-120 cars, in 4 or 5 run groups. I’ve seen 4 or 5 injuries, mostly minor, and unfortunately one death. On average, probably one car per school goes in the wall, resulting in substantial damage. Hope this information helps.
Lord, I'm glad I don't track with the groups you go with. I haven't tracked nearly as much as you, but I've yet to see one injury or death. And I certainly don't see an average of one car per school go into a wall. Maybe one car per half a year....

I do see lots of cars going off though, so maybe it's just that the tracks that I go to are safer, with plenty of run-off. Overall though, the events are pretty relaxed and relatively short of stupids.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 02:38 PM   #17
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98 View Post
+1. Beat me to it. I highly recommend the Skip Barber High Performance Driving School at Lime Rock or any other facility they run at. Well worth the money. Again, you get to drive their M3s and decide if it's for you, and then do the next step of an HPDE in your car with SCDA, NASA, Hooked on Driving, PCA, BMWCCA, etc. The instructors at Skip Barber are excellent.
+1

The Skip Barber instuctors are great and the High Performance Driving School is a great way to get started.

I started my track "career" with the Skip Barber School and did most of their programs and a number of lapping days in the open wheel formula cars.

CA

Last edited by captainaudio; 07-27-2011 at 05:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 04:15 PM   #18
elh0102
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98 View Post
Yikes! What were the circumstances of the incident? I've seen plenty of bent cars so far, but luckily nothing worse at this point.
It was a freak accident involving a very experienced driver. I probably should not have mentioned it, and I will not go into further detail. My point, driving fast, even in a controlled environment involves a certain level of risk that is greater than most hobbies.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 04:18 PM   #19
NJBMWM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 //M3 6speed

OP: I'm signing up for the Sept 10th Summit Point HPDE with NJBMWCCA it will be my first time. I will be in Las Vegas for the Aug 19th event otherwise I would be at the event. I have attended every Auto X event with the club this year and it has been awesome. I can't wait for Sept to get on the track. If you want to go to the Sept 10th event we could roll out together.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 05:28 PM   #20
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Like elh said, just go stock if you're new to tracking.
Many instructors have said to just go stock and actually run their cars stock. Stock tires, brakes, fluid and they're FAST.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 11:09 PM   #21
Asiarush
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 488 GTB

I just went to the track for the first time this last sunday.
I took my stock E92 and boy...what an experience.
you HAVE to enroll in a beginner class or you will not have a clue on what hit you.
people there drive fast, very fast and if you dont know what to do you will slam into someone or might even get kicked out.
you have to learn the flags, signals and you have to learn the lie as well.
every track in your area will have beginner classes, just check their website.
you will also need a Helmet, racing gloves (recommended) and a good instructor will make a big difference in your experience.

Good luck, you will have fun but please dont get on the track with out proper training upfront, not only you will most probably harm your car, but you might harm yourself as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 06:00 PM   #22
Talk2meg00se
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBMWM3 View Post
OP: I'm signing up for the Sept 10th Summit Point HPDE with NJBMWCCA it will be my first time. I will be in Las Vegas for the Aug 19th event otherwise I would be at the event. I have attended every Auto X event with the club this year and it has been awesome. I can't wait for Sept to get on the track. If you want to go to the Sept 10th event we could roll out together.
Yeah - I might be up for this. Let me check into the details. Strength in numbers!

Edit: hmm ~300 mi. from NYC. A bit too far.

Last edited by Talk2meg00se; 07-27-2011 at 06:07 PM..
Appreciate 0