BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
Lease SwApp
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-19-2017, 08:25 PM   #1
GORDON.M3
Major
GORDON.M3's Avatar
Canada
384
Rep
1,417
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: LAX/YYZ/HKG

iTrader: (7)

S65 Valve Cover Replacement, HydroDip, Repaint?

Anyone have any idea what to do with the OEM valve covers on the S65?

When I open the valve cover from the oil cap, I notice the valve cover is flaking off slightly.

My gaskets are sweating and I'm thinking of replacing them soon.

While the covers are off, is there anything I can do to restore them? Aside from replacing the gaskets?

Has anyone played with the idea of hydrodipping them? Is the finish durable and will it affect anything on the inside of the valve cover?

Any pictures or advice would be great! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 11:00 PM   #2
Cbozz
Colonel
Cbozz's Avatar
United_States
289
Rep
2,088
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (17)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon@ View Post
Anyone have any idea what to do with the OEM valve covers on the S65?

When I open the valve cover from the oil cap, I notice the valve cover is flaking off slightly.

My gaskets are sweating and I'm thinking of replacing them soon.

While the covers are off, is there anything I can do to restore them? Aside from replacing the gaskets?

Has anyone played with the idea of hydrodipping them? Is the finish durable and will it affect anything on the inside of the valve cover?

Any pictures or advice would be great! Thanks!
I powder coated mine because of the same reason!
It stopped the constant leaks... paint was cracked up and it was leaking around gaskets through paint cracks... looks better now



Want more pics or advice just pm me your number..
__________________
AA, Akrapovic, Strasse, ‹mnitza, LCI
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 12:07 AM   #3
GORDON.M3
Major
GORDON.M3's Avatar
Canada
384
Rep
1,417
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: LAX/YYZ/HKG

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbozz View Post
I powder coated mine because of the same reason!
It stopped the constant leaks... paint was cracked up and it was leaking around gaskets through paint cracks... looks better now



Want more pics or advice just pm me your number..
Looks great, but your strut bars are on upside down. Pm'd you.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 01:39 AM   #4
OM VT3
Lieutenant Colonel
OM VT3's Avatar
104
Rep
1,672
Posts

Drives: 2011 e92 zcp m3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Somewhere

iTrader: (1)

I did mine in wrinkel black
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 11:14 PM   #5
Cbozz
Colonel
Cbozz's Avatar
United_States
289
Rep
2,088
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (17)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon@ View Post
Looks great, but your strut bars are on upside down. Pm'd you.
cant's be... I never touched them...
__________________
AA, Akrapovic, Strasse, ‹mnitza, LCI
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 11:34 PM   #6
GORDON.M3
Major
GORDON.M3's Avatar
Canada
384
Rep
1,417
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: LAX/YYZ/HKG

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbozz View Post
cant's be... I never touched them...
yeah mine were like that in the photo and I checked 3 other M3s, and it was upside down for sure.
Appreciate 1
Cbozz288.50

      10-21-2017, 04:04 PM   #7
deansbimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
deansbimmer's Avatar
United_States
1688
Rep
2,155
Posts


Drives: 2011 E93 M3
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: DFW, Texas

iTrader: (14)

Garage List
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbozz View Post
cant's be... I never touched them...
You may not have, but somebody put them on upside down.

Covers look good!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 08:05 PM   #8
Cbozz
Colonel
Cbozz's Avatar
United_States
289
Rep
2,088
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (17)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by deansbimmer View Post
You may not have, but somebody put them on upside down.

Covers look good!
maybe when they were changing my valve covers they took them off for some reason... does that even matter?? I can change them back no problem
__________________
AA, Akrapovic, Strasse, ‹mnitza, LCI
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 08:06 PM   #9
GORDON.M3
Major
GORDON.M3's Avatar
Canada
384
Rep
1,417
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: LAX/YYZ/HKG

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deansbimmer View Post
You may not have, but somebody put them on upside down.

Covers look good!
deansbimmer so do you recommend powder coating the valve covers also? even on the inside? Will the powder coat hold up and not come out and contaminate with the engine oil?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 10:58 PM   #10
deansbimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
deansbimmer's Avatar
United_States
1688
Rep
2,155
Posts


Drives: 2011 E93 M3
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: DFW, Texas

iTrader: (14)

Garage List
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon@ View Post
deansbimmer so do you recommend powder coating the valve covers also? even on the inside? Will the powder coat hold up and not come out and contaminate with the engine oil?
I don't suggest attempting to coat the inside. It's too difficult to prepare the magnesium for good adhesion, and I don't see coating the inside as being successful long term even if you were able to get the surface perfect. The original coating is a two part high temp ceramic coating so that would be my first choice (I use Cerakote), although PC works well when well prepped. The factory didn't fully coat the inside. There is overspray inside, which is what flakes off first.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 12:37 AM   #11
OlBloo
Where to next........
OlBloo's Avatar
197
Rep
336
Posts

Drives: E92 m3
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Cascadia

iTrader: (0)

I had a buddy hydro dip his intake on an LS1. It held up very well over the few years I was around.


And no, you don't coat the inside
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 06:05 PM   #12
GORDON.M3
Major
GORDON.M3's Avatar
Canada
384
Rep
1,417
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: LAX/YYZ/HKG

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deansbimmer View Post
I don't suggest attempting to coat the inside. It's too difficult to prepare the magnesium for good adhesion, and I don't see coating the inside as being successful long term even if you were able to get the surface perfect. The original coating is a two part high temp ceramic coating so that would be my first choice (I use Cerakote), although PC works well when well prepped. The factory didn't fully coat the inside. There is overspray inside, which is what flakes off first.
Yeah I know someone here in Canada that does a very good Cerakote, if you say that works then I will probably take my valve covers to the guy.
I assume you'll need to sandblast the inside and outside of the valve cover then cerakote it completely both inside and outside?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 10:45 PM   #13
deansbimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
deansbimmer's Avatar
United_States
1688
Rep
2,155
Posts


Drives: 2011 E93 M3
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: DFW, Texas

iTrader: (14)

Garage List
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon@ View Post
Yeah I know someone here in Canada that does a very good Cerakote, if you say that works then I will probably take my valve covers to the guy.
I assume you'll need to sandblast the inside and outside of the valve cover then cerakote it completely both inside and outside?
Don't coat the inside. You won't likely be able to prep it well enough to get it to adhere properly long term.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 02:23 AM   #14
M3CRZY
Private
M3CRZY's Avatar
18
Rep
79
Posts

Drives: 2009 M3 E92 Space Grey DCT
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Has anyone done there's in red or other brighter colours ? cos the Audi's RS5's V8 is in red , looks so good .
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2017, 11:32 PM   #15
OlBloo
Where to next........
OlBloo's Avatar
197
Rep
336
Posts

Drives: E92 m3
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Cascadia

iTrader: (0)

Check the ess supercharger thread. Different intake, but all kinds of colors
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 10:54 AM   #16
Richbot
Brigadier General
1062
Rep
4,083
Posts

Drives: Jerez Black E90
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: STL

iTrader: (3)

So, data point, a new set of valvecovers from BMW comes dressed with gaskets, vent valves and new bolts (the ones with seals on them you should technically replace each time the cover is off) for ~$530 per bank depending on the vendor. Something to think about. Does not come with spark plug tubes, but that's about $100 in parts for each side you'd probably want to replace anyway when refinishing, plus you get a brand new factory finish. I just bought a set because mine are bubbling and I have a couple very minor leaks that I want to knock out before they turn into actual leaks during my next winter down period

Used covers go for decent enough money (had a few $300-500ish quotes for a pair depending on condition iirc?) for people wanting to do a refresh themselves, so not the worst option financially
__________________

Last edited by Richbot; 11-22-2017 at 11:02 AM.
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow2443.50
GORDON.M3384.00

      10-14-2018, 08:21 PM   #17
IanMan
Private First Class
IanMan's Avatar
55
Rep
132
Posts

Drives: Alpine White M3 Sedan
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Midwest

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deansbimmer View Post
Don't coat the inside. You won't likely be able to prep it well enough to get it to adhere properly long term.
Revisiting this thread, I'm sandblasting and coating mine tomorrow. Is it okay that I sand blast the under parts and leave them as is?
__________________
Current: 2008 E90 M3 V8 - 2008 E83 X3 3.0 si
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gone: 2008 E60 M5 V10 | 2006 E90 325i 2001 E46 M3 | 1984 E28 533i
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 09:26 AM   #18
jcolley
First Lieutenant
United_States
193
Rep
316
Posts

Drives: 2008 E61 M5 (in progress)
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Maine

iTrader: (0)

I would soda blast them. If any particles aren't removed, they just dissolved. I've gone to soda blasting for almost everything now. Exhaust valve carbon removal, engine block and head cleaning, etc.
Appreciate 1
IanMan55.00

      10-15-2018, 01:35 PM   #19
Scharbag
Lieutenant
Scharbag's Avatar
Canada
380
Rep
494
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Saskatoon

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
My gasket on the passenger side is weeping. Given I have all winter to fix it, I am considering re-finishing them. Does anyone know the approximate cost to have the valve covers properly finished?

And I would really love to have them finished in a deep glossy red...
__________________

2011 E92 M3 - 6MT, ZCP, AlpineMSS, Dinan Stuff
2013 Scooby Impreza 5MT
2001 Volvo V70 XC
"When you start thinking you may get hurt, it's time to get out of racing."
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:54 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST