BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

08-19-2018, 08:08 PM   #1
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

BC Racing Coilovers

Have been looking to upgrade my suspension for a little while now. My e92 has 84k on the original set-up non-zcp edc. Looking to go a good bit lower too, and these BC racing coilovers will produce the drop height that I am looking for.

There isn't much info out there for these coilovers on the e92. Any positive/negative comments on these? I don't necessarily plan on tracking, and as of now it is my DD so I want the ride to be pretty comfortable. The price tag on these is pretty damn good, hard to over look.

Any comments would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 08:20 PM   #2
Powashiftin
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Have been looking to upgrade my suspension for a little while now. My e92 has 84k on the original set-up non-zcp edc. Looking to go a good bit lower too, and these BC racing coilovers will produce the drop height that I am looking for.

There isn't much info out there for these coilovers on the e92. Any positive/negative comments on these? I don't necessarily plan on tracking, and as of now it is my DD so I want the ride to be pretty comfortable. The price tag on these is pretty damn good, hard to over look.

Any comments would be appreciated.
I'm looking for same Info
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 04:34 AM   #3
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Spend the extra $ on ST XTA coilovers IMO
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 07:02 AM   #4
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
Spend the extra $ on ST XTA coilovers IMO
Haven't considered these yet, have been looking into them a little this morning. If I went with the BC racing coilovers I would have done the swift spring upgrade so they are about the same price. Also on ECS they come with a $100 gift card towards next purchase which is a bonus.

From what it looks like the bcracing coilovers do come with camber plates, but the st xta have that adjustable top-mount that allows for some camber customization. If I do want to run some camber would you recommend that I upgrade my camber plates if I would go with the ST coilovers?

A lot to learn about these coilovers with a lot of customization options, want to make sure I do all the research before pulling the trigger on anything.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 07:04 AM   #5
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

The dampers on the ST's are far superior (I had BC's and drove my buddies setup with KW's)
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 09:57 AM   #6
yidgyi
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

I have BC's DR (now DS) series coilovers. Perfect for street/daily use. Swift springs 7k spring rate up front and 14k rear. Perfect stiffness for me. Have had them on for about 20k miles no issues. I dislike the EDC and it started giving me codes so it was a reason to code it out and get adjustable coils! People assume its crap because of the price point but honestly BC Racing down in Florida have been nothing but great to me when I ordered these. It's rare to find good customer service like that which is one of the reasons why I bought a set of them. If you're strictly a street car I'd order these without a doubt. It can handle light track duty easily too from what I heard. No personal experience though.

The front camber plates give you up to -4 degrees camber depending on height. I only ran up to like -3.5 up front when I had the meaty r888r tires. I'm at 2.5 now with PS4s.

My only concern was when you place the shock into the LCA it doesn't have that pin like all other coilovers do. For this reason, my car would bind at full lock because I didn't center the shock on initial install. I did order the DR series when it first came out so perhaps it was a quality control issue? I contacted BC about it and they assured me they do add the pin to the newer DS series shocks and I could replace my lower part of the shock with the pin if I really wanted to. I just self centered it and took it to a local race shop so they can look at it when I was redoing my alignment. No binding issues anymore.
      08-20-2018, 02:54 PM   #7
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yidgyi View Post
I have BC's DR (now DS) series coilovers. Perfect for street/daily use. Swift springs 7k spring rate up front and 14k rear. Perfect stiffness for me. Have had them on for about 20k miles no issues. I dislike the EDC and it started giving me codes so it was a reason to code it out and get adjustable coils! People assume its crap because of the price point but honestly BC Racing down in Florida have been nothing but great to me when I ordered these. It's rare to find good customer service like that which is one of the reasons why I bought a set of them. If you're strictly a street car I'd order these without a doubt. It can handle light track duty easily too from what I heard. No personal experience though.

The front camber plates give you up to -4 degrees camber depending on height. I only ran up to like -3.5 up front when I had the meaty r888r tires. I'm at 2.5 now with PS4s.

My only concern was when you place the shock into the LCA it doesn't have that pin like all other coilovers do. For this reason, my car would bind at full lock because I didn't center the shock on initial install. I did order the DR series when it first came out so perhaps it was a quality control issue? I contacted BC about it and they assured me they do add the pin to the newer DS series shocks and I could replace my lower part of the shock with the pin if I really wanted to. I just self centered it and took it to a local race shop so they can look at it when I was redoing my alignment. No binding issues anymore.
I appreciate the info on these. I get the same feeling, people feel like theyre junk cause theyre low priced. I think because of this some are reluctant to try them out thus there aren't many reviews regarding them for our model. But like you mentioned I have heard nothing but good things regarding the brand.

Just trying to get as much information as I can. Good to know about the spring rates, I was debating going stiffer if I went this route.

I'll have to look into your last paragraph a little more, the last thing I would want is to receive the coilovers and see there are parts missing. Seems like a relatively easy fix tho so thats a plus.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 07:28 PM   #8
Powashiftin
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Good info here. I'm tempted to pull the trigger at under $1k. Weekend warrior here, no track in the foreseeable future either. Anyone have the standard BC setup (no swift upgrade)?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 08:13 PM   #9
yidgyi
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
I appreciate the info on these. I get the same feeling, people feel like theyre junk cause theyre low priced. I think because of this some are reluctant to try them out thus there aren't many reviews regarding them for our model. But like you mentioned I have heard nothing but good things regarding the brand.

Just trying to get as much information as I can. Good to know about the spring rates, I was debating going stiffer if I went this route.

I'll have to look into your last paragraph a little more, the last thing I would want is to receive the coilovers and see there are parts missing. Seems like a relatively easy fix tho so thats a plus.
As far as I know, the pin is to just guide the shock so its centered and doesn't bind with anything. Wasn't really that big of a deal for me. Other than that I have no complaints with BC. Instructions it came with were clear as it was my first time DIY'ing coilovers. Went pretty smooth besides ofc not centering the shock. It was just slightly off center.
      08-20-2018, 10:42 PM   #10
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP

ST XTA is a better product at that price range.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 06:12 AM   #11
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCM3 View Post
ST XTA is a better product at that price range.
Yeah, between these two as of now. Honestly just might get whichever one ships faster after my vacation at the end of this month haha.

Anyone know how ST suspension customer service is? I figure its solid since theyre a pretty large manufacturer. Just getting prepared in case I need to have something rebuilt down the road.

Also looking for someone in south jersey to code out my EDC whenever I get around to going to the coilovers. Just let me know your price.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 03:34 PM   #12
dkay
Private
Rep

If you order from FCP Euro, you'll have lifetime warranty on the BC Coils under their Lifetime Warranty program, and this also includes the swift spring upgrade.

Definitely something to consider, as I'm also in the same boat.
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2018, 04:25 PM   #13
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

I'd go ST XTA over BCs. Or if your budget is larger, Ohlins/Sachs/TCK SA.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0