BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

04-29-2021, 06:27 AM   #45
nrubenstein
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3/E36 M3/E46 M3/E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkgsvensson View Post
HOW TO FIX THE SIX SPEED IN AN E9X M3

1: Install a UCP or put in bronze clutch bushings, remove over center spring and throw in a clutch stop

2: Install an AutoSolutions SSK with 20% reduction and bronze carrier bushings

3: Slap F10 M5/ZHP knob on it

4: (Optional) Install 4.10 gears into LSD so the top of 2,3,4 arenít stupidly high and get more streetable torque

5: Enjoy one of the best analog experiences of a performance car you can get
This has been covered in the thread, and everyone agrees that youíre overselling the result.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 09:41 AM   #46
AdM1nsarEas$
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 352i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrubenstein View Post
This has been covered in the thread, and everyone agrees that youíre overselling the result.
yep
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 01:33 PM   #47
///M3Fresh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
The thing about a cable shifter is that you can make it feel how ever you want because you aren't really feeling the transmission.

I have no doubt that the Numeric shifter feels nice. But you're feeling the shifter, not the transmission.
Feeling enough of the transmission is what you need though? Why do I need to feel every vibration coming from the trans when only the good and bad that's being transferred thru the cables and up the shifter? It's like having that full race car experience, the fuel smell, grease, heat and the rest of the rawness of the car. Yea that's great but this is a DD. Shoot I wouldn't want that even on a weekend car if I can avoid it.
      04-30-2021, 09:11 PM   #48
nrubenstein
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3Fresh View Post
Feeling enough of the transmission is what you need though? Why do I need to feel every vibration coming from the trans when only the good and bad that's being transferred thru the cables and up the shifter? It's like having that full race car experience, the fuel smell, grease, heat and the rest of the rawness of the car. Yea that's great but this is a DD. Shoot I wouldn't want that even on a weekend car if I can avoid it.
You basically donít feel anything in a cable shifter. I prefer to feel if the transmission is unhappy with what Iím doing. Every cable shifter car that Iíve ever driven, including Porsches, you donít get any sense of what the synchros are doing short of hearing grinding. Hell, one car we raced with a literal broken gear and you still couldnít feel it through the shifter. You heard it grinding, but didnít feel a damned thing through the stick.

IMO, a little bit of feel for what the transmission is doing is pretty nice. The Autosolutions SSKs that I prefer are the best compromise - hard points where they help, still some damping in the shift lever, and the only SSK maker that Iím aware of that makes their own selector joint.

I do NOT like extreme SSKs with lots of reduction. I donít like the increased shift effort. I donít like how much harder it is to find the right gear. Iím not a huge fan of the race style CAE type shifters. So, I certainly agree that too much isnít good. But I want to know if my synchros are happy or not before gears are grinding.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 12:26 PM   #49
m3boost
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 ESS625

I have had m5 shifter, now an RTD which makes it a little quicker but finding gears 1st and 5th is an actual joke.

Moving to CAE next.

Also, have ucp, trans just sucks tbh. Don't dump money into it. if I could do it again I would keep it full OEM.

M5 shifter lowers the shifter making the leverage requirement a lot more, also don't recommend it.

Want quick shifts? Get a dct car.

Last edited by m3boost; 05-01-2021 at 06:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 06:54 PM   #50
nrubenstein
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3boost View Post
I have had m5 shifter, now an RTD which makes it a little quicker but finding gears 1st and 5th is an actual joke.

Moving to CAE next.

Also, have UPC, trans just sucks tbh. Don't dump money into it. if I could do it again I would keep it full OEM.

M5 shifter lowers the shifter making the leverage requirement a lot more, also don't recommend it.

Iíd encourage you to try Autosolutions if you can find one before you spring for the CAE.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 04:31 PM   #51
wootloops
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 - Alpine White

Quote:

Moving to CAE next.

Also, have ucp, trans just sucks tbh. Don't dump money into it. if I could do it again I would keep it full OEM.

What makes you think a CAE is going to be better on 1st and 5th? It's extremely similar to the RTD in terms of function.

Did you adjust the centering spring to the middle of 3rd gear already? I don't really have any issues with mine in 1st and 5th.
      05-02-2021, 04:34 PM   #52
m3boost
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootloops View Post
What makes you think a CAE is going to be better on 1st and 5th? It's extremely similar to the RTD in terms of function.

Did you adjust the centering spring to the middle of 3rd gear already? I don't really have any issues with mine in 1st and 5th.
1st hits the gate if not careful.
4th to 5th is WAY too wide almost money shift if not careful.

Iíve adjusted the positioning of the shifter itself with no real improvement.
What spring adjustment are you referring to? Iíll try it out.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 07:42 PM   #53
wootloops
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 - Alpine White

Quote:
1st hits the gate if not careful.
4th to 5th is WAY too wide almost money shift if not careful.

I’ve adjusted the positioning of the shifter itself with no real improvement.
What spring adjustment are you referring to? I’ll try it out.
On the rear of the shifter frame (toward the front of the car, under the center console), there is a hex head screw/bolt below the large nut. You loosen it and then put the shifter into 3rd gear (try to make sure it is in the middle of third gear as much as possible). Then tighten the screw down to set the center point while it's in gear.

When properly "calibrating" the shifter to 3rd gear, it may not sit perfectly in the middle visually. On my car when I have the shifter centered on 3rd gear, it's actually tilted to the passenger side slightly. But this is what gives the smoothest shifts. I think that is due to variances in where the transmission is sitting relative to the mounting holes for the shifter. I may try to drill them out a little wider so I have more adjustment of the shifter where it mounts to the body. But that is more of a cosmetic issue than anything. This adjustment screw is what matters for proper shifting.

EDIT: here is a pic of the screw I'm referring to

Last edited by wootloops; 05-02-2021 at 07:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 02:45 AM   #54
m3boost
Private
Rep

Quote:
On the rear of the shifter frame (toward the front of the car, under the center console), there is a hex head screw/bolt below the large nut. You loosen it and then put the shifter into 3rd gear (try to make sure it is in the middle of third gear as much as possible). Then tighten the screw down to set the center point while it's in gear.

When properly "calibrating" the shifter to 3rd gear, it may not sit perfectly in the middle visually. On my car when I have the shifter centered on 3rd gear, it's actually tilted to the passenger side slightly. But this is what gives the smoothest shifts. I think that is due to variances in where the transmission is sitting relative to the mounting holes for the shifter. I may try to drill them out a little wider so I have more adjustment of the shifter where it mounts to the body. But that is more of a cosmetic issue than anything. This adjustment screw is what matters for proper shifting.

Nice, gonna try it out should fix it. I didnít even see that lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 05:57 PM   #55
UBERV8
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Any Autosolutions kits out there for sale? Looks like it's about a 3 month wait currently unless someone cancels and it fits your requirements.
Appreciate 1
DRLane1486.00

05-04-2021, 01:34 PM   #56
///M3Fresh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You basically donít feel anything in a cable shifter. I prefer to feel if the transmission is unhappy with what Iím doing. Every cable shifter car that Iíve ever driven, including Porsches, you donít get any sense of what the synchros are doing short of hearing grinding. Hell, one car we raced with a literal broken gear and you still couldnít feel it through the shifter. You heard it grinding, but didnít feel a damned thing through the stick.

IMO, a little bit of feel for what the transmission is doing is pretty nice. The Autosolutions SSKs that I prefer are the best compromise - hard points where they help, still some damping in the shift lever, and the only SSK maker that Iím aware of that makes their own selector joint.

I do NOT like extreme SSKs with lots of reduction. I donít like the increased shift effort. I donít like how much harder it is to find the right gear. Iím not a huge fan of the race style CAE type shifters. So, I certainly agree that too much isnít good. But I want to know if my synchros are happy or not before gears are grinding.
Personally I prefer to not feel so much on a daily. For sure a track or weekend car. On my 911, I feel or think I feel the synchro's as I enter the gates but mine is now numeric shifter and cables.

On my AS SSK for the M3 its a completely different feel, much better over stock, I enjoy the slight addition to effort, but don't like as much 'drama' that I feel from the shifter in a DD scenario.

I am with you on the CAE/RTD shifters. While I enjoyed shifting them momentarily I wouldnt like them for a daily.
      05-04-2021, 02:05 PM   #57
DRLane
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBERV8 View Post
Any Autosolutions kits out there for sale? Looks like it's about a 3 month wait currently unless someone cancels and it fits your requirements.
I have one coming out of my car. Actually it's out now but I'm working on installing my CAE. just ordered an e46 dssr to extend the length and pull the shifter back a bit.

It's a free fall down the motorsports hole... @m392racing on instagram
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 02:40 PM   #58
UBERV8
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by UBERV8 View Post
I have one coming out of my car. Actually it's out now but I'm working on installing my CAE. just ordered an e46 dssr to extend the length and pull the shifter back a bit.
Hey can you PM me the specs and price? I may just buy yours thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 10:34 AM   #59
nrubenstein
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Personally I prefer to not feel so much on a daily. For sure a track or weekend car. On my 911, I feel or think I feel the synchro's as I enter the gates but mine is now numeric shifter and cables.

On my AS SSK for the M3 its a completely different feel, much better over stock, I enjoy the slight addition to effort, but don't like as much 'drama' that I feel from the shifter in a DD scenario.

I am with you on the CAE/RTD shifters. While I enjoyed shifting them momentarily I wouldnt like them for a daily.
What reduction do you have? My 14.5% shifter has very little drama.

After testing at least a dozen transmission fluids over the years, I've found two that are by far the best for shifting as well:

Warm weather / track use: Motul Gear 300 75w90. Absolutely the best hot. You'll be double clutching below freezing.

Daily driver: Motorcraft XT-M5-QS. Getrag developed fluid designed to solve shift quality issues. Not quite as good as the Motul hot, but WAY better if the car is exposed to cold temperatures regularly. Add in a couple ounces of Lubrizol Gear Fluid Supplement for a further improvement in shift quality.
      05-05-2021, 02:07 PM   #60
///M3Fresh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What reduction do you have? My 14.5% shifter has very little drama.

After testing at least a dozen transmission fluids over the years, I've found two that are by far the best for shifting as well:

Warm weather / track use: Motul Gear 300 75w90. Absolutely the best hot. You'll be double clutching below freezing.

Daily driver: Motorcraft XT-M5-QS. Getrag developed fluid designed to solve shift quality issues. Not quite as good as the Motul hot, but WAY better if the car is exposed to cold temperatures regularly. Add in a couple ounces of Lubrizol Gear Fluid Supplement for a further improvement in shift quality.
Thanks for the input on fluids. My car sees freezing temps very little maybe a handfull a year. So that first option might be something I try. Is there a need for the supplement fluid with the Motul 300?

My AS SSK is 21.5% reduction, stock height, on an M performance knob. I think I am running the 80A rushing kit for it that Ronald makes.

Edit; TBH I can deal with the trans but still feel my 2nd gear is too notchy compared to the other gears. Currently on Redline MTL. This seemed to be the best compromise all around for me.
      05-06-2021, 08:06 AM   #61
nrubenstein
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the input on fluids. My car sees freezing temps very little maybe a handfull a year. So that first option might be something I try. Is there a need for the supplement fluid with the Motul 300?

My AS SSK is 21.5% reduction, stock height, on an M performance knob. I think I am running the 80A rushing kit for it that Ronald makes.

Edit; TBH I can deal with the trans but still feel my 2nd gear is too notchy compared to the other gears. Currently on Redline MTL. This seemed to be the best compromise all around for me.
I HATE Redline MTL, fwiw. I've never had a good experience with any of the Redline fluids for shift quality.

I've never felt a need to use the supplement with the Motul. Once warm, the shift quality is as good as it gets.

Last edited by nrubenstein; 05-06-2021 at 08:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 02:11 PM   #62
///M3Fresh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I HATE Redline MTL, fwiw. I've never had a good experience with any of the Redline fluids for shift quality.

I've never felt a need to use the supplement with the Motul. Once warm, the shift quality is as good as it gets.
Just ordered 3 bottles. Will give it a shot and see if I notice a difference.
      05-06-2021, 03:03 PM   #63
Throatpunch
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Quote:

Yeah I just reached my trans with redline and I feel no difference lol

I remember switching my oem fluid in my Evo with him synchromesh and it was a huge change and I wanted the same in the m3 😢
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 12:27 PM   #64
derbo
Derbo Tuning
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 Sedan

Quote:

I'm on 22.5%, 80A shifter bushings, ZHP/F10 knob with 13mm height correction so it matches OEM shifter height.

It feels pretty good and does require a bit more effort but it did loosen after a few drives. I'll have to test it on the track to see how much better this is. As most folks said: acceptable compared to stock.
      05-08-2021, 08:18 AM   #65
gh0stE92M3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

I got the ucp installed, auto solutions 23% with zhp shifter knob, and the 95a bushing with oem height. Shifts feel great way better than oem.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 04:42 PM   #66
m3boost
Private
Rep

Quote:

Yea itís way better thanks for the tip! Just saved my buying a new shifter. They should include it in a user manual lol.
Appreciate 1
Biginboca2599.50