BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 Marketplace > Private Sellers - For Sale / Trade / Wanted > Wheels and Tires Items

05-02-2021, 05:37 PM   #23
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

These are unsafe. No doubt about it. Nowhere close to the amount of engineering and testing that bbs does, and constructed with an unknown material...
      05-02-2021, 07:31 PM   #24
Siajoon
///Majestic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON.M3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-EH View Post
I mean ill buy em at Rep cost lol still nice wheels.
Reps do not belong on any car. You are much better off running OEM wheels at that rate.

Rep wheels are unsafe, usually lower grade metals, and cast with imperfections. It's not even really a looks thing anymore, it's a would you put yourself in a position where you could potentially kill yourself or people around you when the wheels suddenly crack and fall off.
I agree and disagree, replicas can be as safe as a genuine piece. When you break down what it effectively costs to make a wheel it might be cheaper than you think. With anything a big portion in which you are buying is the brand which in this case is BBS.

Not bashing on BBS as they make beautiful light weight and extremely durable wheels but you are paying for those three letters when you break down the overall cost, and sometimes it's a big surprise to people exactly how much of the purchase price is just associate with the brand alone.
Appreciate 1
GORDON.M31403.00
      05-02-2021, 09:10 PM   #25
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siajoon View Post
I agree and disagree, replicas can be as safe as a genuine piece. When you break down what it effectively costs to make a wheel it might be cheaper than you think. With anything a big portion in which you are buying is the brand which in this case is BBS.

Not bashing on BBS as they make beautiful light weight and extremely durable wheels but you are paying for those three letters when you break down the overall cost, and sometimes it's a big surprise to people exactly how much of the purchase price is just associate with the brand alone.
I understand your viewpoint but if you've ever worked on/refinished a set of BBS, when you strip them down to bare metal they have very little pitting in the metal and imperfections. On the other hand, if you strip down a set of reps/cheaper wheels it is structurally not the same compared to a set of BBS.

Anyone who works with wheels day in and day out will tell you, with BBS you really "get what you pay for". There's a lot of R&D that BBS has done for each and every wheel design, not to mention they all have gone through rigorous strength testing. The finish in prep/paint is also light years better, even better than some mainstream Japanese wheel companies.

There is a reason why automakers around the world have picked BBS as the OEM manufacturer for their wheels.
peterc05114.00
Siajoon1853.50
E92E826.50
acarr6406.00
      05-02-2021, 09:44 PM   #26
aznazasin
AznAzasin
United_States
Rep
Drives: FG E92 M3 | LSB E46 M3 | F80 M

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznazasin View Post
For sure reps. These were my 19s and the hole in the spokes was also larger on my set in addition to being closer to the center hub.
Damn #curbed
I felt it in my heart and wallet too! LMAOOOO
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 04:03 AM   #27
Blue_M3
Rep
Drives: Bmw m3 e93

$1500 shipped to 98115
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 07:53 AM   #28
M3-EH
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 Aw m3

Thanks for the note Gordon
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 11:42 AM   #29
MaAl
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON.M3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-EH View Post
I mean ill buy em at Rep cost lol still nice wheels.
Reps do not belong on any car. You are much better off running OEM wheels at that rate.

Rep wheels are unsafe, usually lower grade metals, and cast with imperfections. It's not even really a looks thing anymore, it's a would you put yourself in a position where you could potentially kill yourself or people around you when the wheels suddenly crack and fall off.

I agree if you're talking about a legitimate company that has replica style wheels like Apex.

That said i think the FI-R is only a feasible design because of the technology and R&D BBS uses to ensure they're safe. A no name replica stands no chance.
Appreciate 2
Siajoon1853.50
GORDON.M31403.00