BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

12-17-2018, 02:51 PM   #243
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katkarot View Post
I got 12 135i DCT that has a mechatronic leak. I thought it was oil pan but after changing that, I discovered it was slow leak from the mechatronic.

It's either gasket or mechatronic sleeve.

Did you get your mechatronic gasket leak fixed? If so, were you able to do it without dropping the tranny?

I assume if the mechatronic sleeve is leaking, you have to drop the tranny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendWarriorz View Post
Be careful, when the side leaks it drips down onto the pan an can make it look like the pan is leaking.
You have to drop the tranny for the mechatronics
2021 M2 Competition DCT Hockenheim Silver
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 07:38 PM   #244
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

What kinda RTV are you guys using with the slonik pan?
      01-03-2019, 02:55 AM   #245
Katkarot
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010MDX 2012135i

Can you tell me the parts (numbers) that you use to fix the mechatronic sleeve leak?

My shop only quoted the O-ring PN 28607849555 and installation kit harness
PN 28607842854 as needing to be replaced.

For the side gasket leak, only the gasket is getting replaced 28607842856

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...08#28607842853

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendWarriorz View Post
You have to drop the tranny for the mechatronics

Last edited by Katkarot; 01-03-2019 at 02:58 AM.. Reason: link info
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 02:49 PM   #246
buddalun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911 x 2, Tesla M3P & MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON.M3 View Post
What kinda RTV are you guys using with the slonik pan?
Slonik recommends Loctite 574. I've been using it with great success.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 01:34 AM   #247
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

Any more feedback or experience with the SSP viton gaskets? Thinking about doing that on bottom/side with the GTS banjo/fill. Slon’s pans look nice but the price for both is prohibitive for me. Hoping viton with +1L does the trick.
My hoses are dry, knock on wood, but is there any fix for those? Just looking ahead, though that seems to be the rarest of the leaks, and surely a tranny drop (side can be done without dropping).
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 08:04 PM   #248
Immy68
Rep
Drives: m3

So I've had this car since November. I did a PPI before purchasing the car at a BMW dealership.

I took my car in to a small mechanic shop that my good friend owns to do my first oil change on the car..

He told me my transmission is leaking and that I should of done an inspection before I bought the car...

So now I have a leak that I'm not sure how long its been and now needing to fix..

Anyways my question is how bad is the leak and how much roughly would it cost to fix this? Is this an urgent fix? Did I do damage to the car from driving it to much with the leak?

I asked how long you think the leak has been going on and he said it looked to be a couple months but who knows..

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 08:29 PM   #249
msan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 / 2012 X5 35i M Sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immy68 View Post
So I've had this car since November. I did a PPI before purchasing the car at a BMW dealership.

I took my car in to a small mechanic shop that my good friend owns to do my first oil change on the car..

He told me my transmission is leaking and that I should of done an inspection before I bought the car...

So now I have a leak that I'm not sure how long its been and now needing to fix..

Anyways my question is how bad is the leak and how much roughly would it cost to fix this? Is this an urgent fix? Did I do damage to the car from driving it to much with the leak?

I asked how long you think the leak has been going on and he said it looked to be a couple months but who knows..

I'd say you didn't do any major damage. I would think you would feel the DCT having issues when driving if it was really low on fluid. That does look like a leak and not weeping. I would try and figure out which panel or hose the leak is coming from before ordering parts. your shop could also add some more DCT transmission fluid to top it off for now.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 08:49 PM   #250
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by msan View Post
Quote:

I'd say you didn't do any major damage. I would think you would feel the DCT having issues when driving if it was really low on fluid. That does look like a leak and not weeping. I would try and figure out which panel or hose the leak is coming from before ordering parts. your shop could also add some more DCT transmission fluid to top it off for now.
Yep same exact thing happened to me..today, took mine to another shop after transmission was acting crazy for a few days..I was 2 qts short of fluid. They told me it wasn't a fast leak, so I've been driving for a month or more with extremely low DCT fluid. They topped it off until I can find time to leave it for that and other things. It was driving like shit for weeks, so I REALLY hope I didn't ruin it... Any way to tell if I did damage? I'm sure they will check when I take it back, but it's got me nervous
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 09:21 AM   #251
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:

Like the guys says probably no issues. Seems almost "all" M-DCT's are leaking some (my first did after 20k miles, second/current did after 10k or so and I honestly don't worry). Repair differs a lot depending on whether bottom gasket, side/mechatronic or top. In the latter case box has to come down = dollares.
If the box has a real leak the under cover should be properly oily. Suggest you wipe the box clean and try to get a feel for the amount. If it like most only "sweat" a tad I'd ask to shop to fill it up and continue drive with a smile.
Ps. Box + cooler/lines contain 9+ liters fluid so half a liter or so doesn't seem to disturb funtion.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 01:47 PM   #252
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

What are you all seeing for labor (not parts) on a bottom/side pan install? Assuming tilting the transmission for side access.

Also still thinking about the SSP or eBay viton gaskets, at least for the side. Any more feedback on them? I’m thinking the bottom may need an aluminum pan to replace the potentially warping-prone plastic pan. But the side is a metal cover already so I think the issue is just the gasket.

Last edited by wyatth; 02-23-2019 at 01:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 11:57 PM   #253
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddalun View Post
Slonik recommends Loctite 574. I've been using it with great success.
Can you let us know how much Loctite 574 you used for the pan(s)?
It looks like it comes in 50ml tubes.
Thanks!
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 07:27 PM   #254
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Can you let us know how much Loctite 574 you used for the pan(s)?
It looks like it comes in 50ml tubes.
Thanks!
one tube is enough, just use more if you want a good seal. I've used 574 before, its amazing on sealing anything with a machined connecting face.
aus889.50
      02-07-2020, 12:22 PM   #255
neo61uk
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Performance Edition

Long old thread I know but wanted to update for people without warranty!!

Not so long ago sold m3 e92 DCT with minor oil seeping.
Never checked where from as it was marginal and didnt have time to think about it.

Currently drive e92 335i DCT (same box as M3) and have same problem. Oil seeping on under tray.

Looked through service history and found out gearbox sump was done under warranty for leak.

So I decided to investigate and went under the car cleaned all nice and ready for my 30 miles commute.

Turn out to be seeping from mechatronic cover seal - bottom 4 bolts next to exhaust.
Did 30 miles steady drive and only 2 drops showed up.

Next day sport and spirited drive - around 5 drops showed up.

I have no warranty left on a car and bought second hand 4 months ago.
Decided to give it a go and try to retorque those bolts.
These are only 10Nm from factory so can't go crazy with em.

I did half a turn on each of those bottom ones.

Drove 30 miles and didnt notice any drops at all.
Today again did 150 spirited miles and not a single drop found.

Seeping/ leaking is now fixed with 5 minutes job and loads of £££ in my pocket.

Worth a shot for anyone in same position.

atb
Appreciate 4
ccdre337.00
GeorgeA755.00
PACarGuy646.00
victo6.00
      06-17-2021, 11:10 PM   #256
cheahcl
Rep
Drives: Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townending View Post
I purchased the the one twinturbo30psi sells on ebay. It installed and fit without any issues. It's only been installed roughly 2 months, so no long-term results yet.
Hey, how's the gasket holding up so far? It replaces the oil pan and mechatronic gaskets, correct? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 03:07 AM   #257
ohhgourami
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3 ZCP

Anyone else have success retorquing the pan screws back to spec?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 10:15 AM   #258
oolas3
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

I have the SSP viton gasket. It’s only been 1.5 years but no problems so far. The shop that did the install was impressed by how much more substantial it was than stock. Although not listed on their website, SSP will sell the pan gasket only separately.
Appreciate 1
victo6.00