BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

View Poll Results: Make your mark or draw a line in the sand
I drive both and like them both 36 14.40%
I drive a MT and would never touch anything else 51 20.40%
I drive a M-DCT and would never touch anything else 21 8.40%
I drive a MT and often think I should have gone for M-DCT 11 4.40%
I drive a M-DCT and often think should have gone for a MT 8 3.20%
I test drove both and decided for the MT never regretted it 32 12.80%
I test drove both and decided for the M-DCT never regretted it 39 15.60%
There is nothing better then the good old BMW MT. 28 11.20%
Best thing since sliced bread this great BMW M-DCT 52 20.80%
I have no opinion on the matter I drive anything 16 6.40%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 250. You may not vote on this poll

08-15-2012, 10:49 AM   #23
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

If my M3 was my only car and/or my DD, I would have gone with DCT. Since it is basically a fun purchase, and my other car is an automatic, I went with the more fun and involving MT.
      08-15-2012, 10:52 AM   #24
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

MT only
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 04:26 PM   #25
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Daily stop and go traffic and a wife that will drive the car occasionally put me in a DCT. It's a great transmission and for me, there are no regrets or longings for the 6-speed.

Drive what works for you, not what you think is the coolest.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 04:32 PM   #26
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Rolf, I checked the last box. To me, whether a DCT or a 6speed manual, this car is amazing. I wasn't planning on purchasing a DCT; however, with this great lease that I have, I couldn't pass it.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 06:35 PM   #27
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

I'm obviously in DCT camp. I test drove an E92 6MT - which was a ton of fun - BUT...

Like others on this forum who have DCT - I live in the suburbs of a big city (Chicago) and work in the city - so in rush hour traffic 6MT would NOT be fun (although no doubt it would be under other circumstances).

Bottom line - for many M3 owners like me - rush hour traffic in a major metropolitan area was a deal-breaker for 6MT. But I also agree this is purely a subjective decision and also agree that as long as the S65 is under the hood - there is no (objectively) wrong decision either way!!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 12:00 AM   #28
SD-E93-11
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3 Jerez Black/Black

It's most illuminating to read quotes from those who've owned and lived with the e9x 6mt in the past - and posted passionate statements about 6MT vs. DCT on the forum - but have switched to DCT.

Y'all know who you are, and this isn't a "told ya so", but I'm glad you've seen the light and are no longer missing out on what is surely the option with the best bang for buck.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 09:58 AM   #29
VaclavSV
Rep
Drives: 2012 C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto2315 View Post
OP, you forgot "I drive a M-DCT because I can't drive a MT and won't admit it, so I tell everyone M-DCT is better than MT to justify my decision"
LOL
      08-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #30
Projectile
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Drove a DCT for three years. It's amazing. Only great things to say about it objectively.

But my e92 is my fun car, so I got a 6MT. Subjectively, way more fun.

I look FWD to driving my e92 much more than I used to, and the frequent and big grin on my face is at least partly coming from the fun of smooth upshifts and rev matched downshifts.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 04:53 PM   #31
CBS
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10535, E90M3, E30M3, E28M5

Garage List
2017 Alpina B6 GC  [0.00]
2014 535xi M Sport  [0.00]
2014 X3 3.5 M Sport  [0.00]
2011 M3 E90  [9.74]
2007 Z4 M Coupe  [7.00]
1990 M3  [9.50]
1988 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto2315 View Post
OP, you forgot "I drive a M-DCT because I can't drive a MT and won't admit it, so I tell everyone M-DCT is better than MT to justify my decision"
I'll admit it! I never could master heel and toe, thottle blip.
Had numerous MT cars.

ESS VT-1 550 | M24 Oil Cooler | Fall Line Half Cage | RaceTech 4009W | 6 pt Harness | Lifeline Zero 360 Fire Suppression | Rear Seat Delete | Motion Control DA Dampers w/remote reservoirs | 900/650 Hyperco Springs | RD Sport Sway Bars | Brembo 380 BBK | GC Camber Plates | Hoosier R7 | Eisenmann Sport | Stack Gauges | Painted Challenge Front Lip | Painted ZCP Rear Spoiler | Xpel Ultimate Film | LuxAngelEyes
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 04:55 AM   #32
M3KW
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 E93 M3

I drive MT all the time in my DD so I thought the DCT would be a good change. I'm glad I went DCT, there is something so satisfying to me when I pull that paddle and the gear engages
      08-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #33
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
As of today .... The

Best thing since sliced bread this great BMW M-DCT

Have it .... leading by 1

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 03:16 PM   #34
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
It is still a neck to neck situation (only one vote apart). It is exactly as close as I expected it to be.

Thanks for voting everyone!

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 04:18 AM   #35
tareemaa
Bimmer Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

i drive with one mind, my two eye, three pedals always, always employing all four of my limbs, some how evoking all five of my senses, and always rowing through those epic 6 gears.

-anand a. shah

talk about m-dct all you want, and how perfect the down shifts are, and how lightening fast the upshifts are, most of us here don't drive an M3 for pure speed, we are not professional drivers getting paid on the basis of our lap times, but we drive this ultimate driving machine for the sheer prowess it entails as a true road car that when brought to its true element on a track, evokes the emotion of car 2, 3, hell fuck it, 4 times it price, to drive this car with an automated, nevertheless dual clutch highly advanced transmission, is a waste, this car is meant to be driven in its true old school fashion, to perfect every down shift, and to row through every gear through every straight by the human mind and body.

I am a purist, and for as long as the BMW M3 is offered in a manual transmission, it will be my number one choice, not because it is relatively affordable, because it is everything the ultimate driving machine should be...

Long live the manual transmission BMW M3
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 06:14 AM   #36
flanast
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmdphd98
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3RD View Post
Let us all make our mark in this poll about what transmission makes us tick

I think I covered all the bases

Result should be fun or? What do you think?
There should be two more categories: those who have actually owned a DCT and disliked it enough to switch to 6MT and vice versa. Test drive is not sufficient to give you a real sense of how much fun/easy the transmission is to live with. The fact that you made this post tells me you are thinking about this issue after owning both gearboxes. Please shed some light on the matter because I sold a 6MT and ordered a DCT for ED in November!
I have owned both and concluded that it just depends on what you want out of the car more. If you want a quicker zero to 60 and do a lot of stop and go driving then go with the DCT. It is so smooth and fast, just an incredible gearbox. The downside is the fun of having full control of your driving experience, particularly when on the track. I had the DCT first and then decided to go with the manual with my new 2012. I drive in the DC area, so lots of stop and go, but just can't beat the fun of driving the manual.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 07:02 AM   #37
DivideBYZero
Never underestimate the Home-Bowl
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2<E92 M3<E46 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tareemaa View Post
i drive with one mind, my two eye, three pedals always, always employing all four of my limbs, some how evoking all five of my senses, and always rowing through those epic 6 gears.

-anand a. shah

talk about m-dct all you want, and how perfect the down shifts are, and how lightening fast the upshifts are, most of us here don't drive an M3 for pure speed, we are not professional drivers getting paid on the basis of our lap times, but we drive this ultimate driving machine for the sheer prowess it entails as a true road car that when brought to its true element on a track, evokes the emotion of car 2, 3, hell fuck it, 4 times it price, to drive this car with an automated, nevertheless dual clutch highly advanced transmission, is a waste, this car is meant to be driven in its true old school fashion, to perfect every down shift, and to row through every gear through every straight by the human mind and body.

I am a purist, and for as long as the BMW M3 is offered in a manual transmission, it will be my number one choice, not because it is relatively affordable, because it is everything the ultimate driving machine should be...

Long live the manual transmission BMW M3
Meh, this attitude only comes from US members who feel like "heroes" driving an MT car. For those that grew up in countries where AT is rare nobody is a hero for driving MT and it carries no cache whatsoever.

You're not a purist, you're just late to the age of MT and trying to make up for it.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 07:19 AM   #38
hpc3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 G80 Base, Build Week 12

I'm not enamored with my '13 6MT yet but would rather shift my "drivers" car vs having electronics do it for me most if not all of the time. The DCT is awesome on the track though I will have to concede that.

I'll wait a few mos before I pass judgement in case its just tight and needs some break-in time but I miss the Audi V6/01E 6MTs a little right now. They felt like truck transmissions with their long deliberate throws but you could feel into the trans, down to the sliders and gear engagement with those. May be an unfair comparison right now, had probably 9-10yrs experience on them. I do like my M more than I expected though, awesome car.

Born on July 4th, 2012, PCD September 5th, 2012.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 07:33 AM   #39
Morning Hawk
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Subaru R2

I've test drove the M3 and the 6MT is too slushy. Lots of slop in the gates and sponge in the clutch.

Why can't BMW make a manual that is crisp like the Nissan 350/370Z or G35/37 coupe?

When I get mine I will definitely go with DCT... That is true performance you squeeze out of the car. What human could possible out shift a DCT?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 07:26 PM   #40
tareemaa
Bimmer Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

My first car was manual, so I dont know it any other way, and I dont do it for the "cache", it do it cuz I feel its the only way to drive a high performance car
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #41
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
I knew the M-DCT was an excellent transmission. I wasn't (personally) liking the 6MT in this car as much.

The paddle shifts in this car are fun. And when I'm stuck in traffic, I'm glad I can stick it into "auto" mode.

Do I miss rowing my own sometimes? Yes. My husband and I will be picking up a summer car next year that has a manual we both like a lot. Preference for an auto or manual is very vehicle-dependant for me.
      09-10-2012, 03:08 AM   #42
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

I'm more than three years into DCT ownership and there isn't a second when I regret the choice. I've driven hundreds of thousands of miles in MTs...everything from 12 speed crash gearbox trucks to 20 years of 911s and 911 turbos. I drive my M3 most always for fun and speed and the DCT is an unbelievable piece of technology thats takes driving the M3 to another level of speed, focus, precision and sheer driver involvement.
Sure I get that loads of folk will want to own and drive the M3 with a MT but don't delude yourselves into thinking that the DCT is the inferior choice.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 03:55 AM   #43
kaiv
IG: limited.slip
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 in a 325i Touring body!

Die hard MT fan here.
Would never get anything else and all of my cars have been MT.

I just enjoy the whole 3 pedal thing, playing with the lever, heel toe downshifts and all that. I feel more involved with the car, the driving; just have more fun with it.

With that said I can understand the appeal for paddle shifters transmissions. They're fast, efficient, you can keep both hands on the wheel and so on. I can also understand the appeal for the new and latest technology.

I've driven SMG and DCT both on the street and on the track. I have fun with it but it's just not for me.

On a side note, I feel SMG is more fun than DCT. Yes it's older and slower and not as "perfect". But at least you feel the shifts. You feel the system engaging the clutch, shifting, and releasing the clutch, somewhat like a manual would.
The DCT on the other hand feels like a very fast and automatic with seemless shifts. There is no arguing that it's faster but just not as fun IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 05:54 AM   #44
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

I sort of agree about the SMG but it was fatally flawed in that the system ate clutches at an alarming rate and even with throttle modulation fast shifts were often a neck snapping affair. Having made a bazzillion MT shifts and mastered heel & toe years ago the whole thing just got old for me - and it doesn't matter how good you get with a MT, driving at 10 tenths is always compromised by the inherent unbalancing of the chassis that every manual gearshift causes - You are not going to make a MT shift mid turn at the edge of adhesion or to tame power oversteer.
I'm sure people choose the DCT for different reasons which will include its ability to mimic an automatic but others buy it because it gives you the ability to get the absolute maximum from the M3s fabulous balance and use 100% of its performance and that is a mega buzz.
Appreciate 0