BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

02-17-2014, 09:52 PM   #23
MrStinky
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

Would have been nice to test the same Bolton.

As far as shift points the data is incorrect. As itis clearly desirable to shift redline for a stock or tuned NA non sstroker M3. Given rpm drop in each guest already puts you short of most power band if you shift earlier it not only limits gearing advantage for more rpms but also drops you into lower power zone of the next gear.

I'll take a full bolt on any day. The strokers were cat less and din an had pulley so let's say 30 whp is deducted for cat less, pulley and any tune out there. So the stroker makes 30 or so more power than a bolt on. Sad. And that is considering AUC . Strikers always disappoint on e60 and this M3. Looks like strokers put out 440 HP with stock cats. So 25-30 HP over bone stock. Not worth it to most
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 09:56 PM   #24
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by motortrend
I don't understand why people expect such huge power gains from a small increase in displacement.
Maybe because of the HUGE price!!

But for real, I don't think people expect that much, they just expect a proportionnal gain to the increase in displacement! Since a full bolt-ons 4.0l S65 makes ~450hp, it's not crazy to think that the same engine with a 15% increase displacement(4.6l) and the same bolt-ons or in these cases even more bolt-ons could make ~15% more horse power(520hp)! And here, we are far...far from that!

I personnaly think it just shows that a stroker is a gigantic waste of money, buy a 911S, a 911TT, a GT3, a GT-R, an M4, a Gallardo, an F430, if you really really need to keep your e9x M3, buy a blower or drop an S85, there's so many better options then going stroker, I just can't believe someone could find a reason to do it other then to show people how much money they have to waste!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 10:06 PM   #25
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

its a shame this engine doesnt have much N/A building potential. IMO the S65 is a alsome high revving N/A motor. looks like if i keep this car long term i would go blower.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 10:20 PM   #26
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
If anyone is curious about the thrust curves, here they are based on the above data. This assumes all the cars had the stock 265/35R19 rear tires.

Thrust = (Engine Torque x Gear Reduction x Final Drive Reduction) / (Wheel Diameter / 2)
Losses must be considered for ideal shift points. What matters is torque delivered to the rear wheels and this will include losses from the transmission, differential and axles. These losses are also rpm or speed dependent.

Quote:
Some obvious conclusions:

1. Shifting at redline is not advantageous in any gear for any of those cars. Optimal shift points are about 100-200rpm short of redline in every gear.
As the other person pointed out, based on the similarity in the stroker torque curves vs. stock (shape, not size) I also expect redline shifts generally being required for optimal performance.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 10:37 PM   #27
regular guy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Sprint car

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealYourFace View Post
Because other manufacturers engines see substantial gains with either larger displacement, or cam/heads changes. And for dramatically less $$

It shows that this engine is pretty well maxed from the factory, and as far as bang for the buck goes, you are better off with primary cat delete and either benvo, or evolve or one of the other tunes that will get very close to the power of these strokers.
Keep in mind, with this method even if you did get the same power as the stroker, you're only getting it for about 5 RPMs. And for what it's worth, the closest I've seen a full bolt on get to a stroker on the same dyno is about 15 whp and that was with race gas and super aggressive tuning just to make a number.

Quote:
It also shows that as awesome as that engine is, it just isn't all that efficient at making power. Especially when fuel consumption is factored. But, it is still a worthy product, because of the sound and feel of the power delivery.
That's not quite right. The reason the stroker doesn't give a huge increase in power as it does on other platforms is because this motor IS efficient. It's VE is very high -- greater than 100% at some parts of the power band. If the motor weren't as efficient, then building a stroker and tuning would yield much bigger numbers.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=869616
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 10:42 PM   #28
regular guy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

BTW, I'm going to throw this out there just to see what hits the wall and falls down.

After seeing the rematch and seeing the spark is now correct, and AFR's only slightly rich, the thought of bearing clearance once again crossed my mind. We learned in the bearing wiki thread that one of the benefits of tighter bearing clearance is increase in power. We also know Dinan opened up the bearing clearance on their stroker motors -- where RD Sport used factory clearances on this motor. Now I'm wondering whether or not bearing clearance can account for this much power difference -- 20-25 horsepower?

Does anybody know? Kawasaki?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 11:38 PM   #29
Top_Gear
Private
Rep
Drives: M3-E90-6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ANMACHINE View Post
Thanks for the very informative thread, but what a waste of money..
I couldn't say it any better.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 12:15 AM   #30
Someone?
Perception is King
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Nice work!, but i agree^ both of these big money strokers seem to be a big waste of time and money for fairly bad $$/Hp ratio.
      02-18-2014, 08:09 AM   #31
rantarM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Regular Guy: by any chance, would you have access to a M3 CRT/GTS dyno chart that you could post up just for comparison purposes? I know it would be different dyno, atmosperic conditions, fuel, etc. but just thought it would be interesting to see (more or less) how the 4.4 does against the RD & Dinan strokers.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 09:42 AM   #32
regular guy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantarM3 View Post
Regular Guy: by any chance, would you have access to a M3 CRT/GTS dyno chart that you could post up just for comparison purposes? I know it would be different dyno, atmosperic conditions, fuel, etc. but just thought it would be interesting to see (more or less) how the 4.4 does against the RD & Dinan strokers.
I haven't seen any CTS/GTS dyno's posted. If you know of any, I'll reach out to the owners and see if I can get their dyno files for the database.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 10:05 AM   #33
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by regular guy View Post
BTW, I'm going to throw this out there just to see what hits the wall and falls down.

After seeing the rematch and seeing the spark is now correct, and AFR's only slightly rich, the thought of bearing clearance once again crossed my mind. We learned in the bearing wiki thread that one of the benefits of tighter bearing clearance is increase in power. We also know Dinan opened up the bearing clearance on their stroker motors -- where RD Sport used factory clearances on this motor. Now I'm wondering whether or not bearing clearance can account for this much power difference -- 20-25 horsepower?

Here's one school of thought on the issue:

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2013...ng-clearances/
      02-18-2014, 10:39 AM   #34
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG-E92 ESS-650 BPM Tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by regular guy View Post

In our experience 3 or less not 20-25 (Thats 3 on 900hp not 500)
Only thing I see different is the bore/stroke but the small difference is not 20hp either.
Without seeing internals it is hard to say, could be easy 10-15 in rod/piston/ring package.

Quote:
Here's one school of thought on the issue:

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2013...ng-clearances/
Good article but dont believe everything you read, the guys writing that stuff have no clue about what we do. Everything is a huge generalization.
      02-18-2014, 10:54 AM   #35
Sered
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by motortrend View Post
I don't understand why people expect such huge power gains from a small increase in displacement.
Because usually in the domestic realm, stroker builds involve headwork and cam upgrades. Apparently 'stroker build' in the hilarious S65 world means gazillion $$$ short block build. All this money to craft custom S65 block builds and they can't make a camshaft. Heh.

I laughed when I read the first one, I'm still laughing. I've seen FBO M3s putting down similar numbers on dynojets. And before anyone talks about deltas; make sure you look at the actual delta first. All it did was shift the powerband to the left. FYI: these cars don't make >500hp. More like 460-475. Bone stock Boss 302 numbers.

The only way this is going to make a real difference is when headwork and custom cams are installed. For $38k, I'd expect that to be included, but wait, it's Dinan; so no lol

Last edited by Sered; 02-18-2014 at 11:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 11:19 AM   #36
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sered View Post
Because usually in the domestic realm, stroker builds involve headwork and cam upgrades. Apparently 'stroker build' in the hilarious S65 world means gazillion $$$ short block build. All this money to craft custom S65 block builds and they can't make a camshaft. Heh.

I laughed when I read the first one, I'm still laughing. I've seen FBO M3s putting down similar numbers on dynojets. And before anyone talks about deltas; make sure you look at the actual delta first. All it did was shift the powerband to the left. FYI: these cars don't make >500hp. More like 460-475. Bone stock Boss 302 numbers.

The only way this is going to make a real difference is when headwork and custom cams are installed. For $38k, I'd expect that to be included, but wait, it's Dinan; so no lol

Correct, the powerband was basically shifted to the left. I don't think it's as wide, either. The low-end torque is definitely higher than stock, but as the engine revs climb that delta gets much smaller. The stock powerband is pretty impressive to begin with.
      02-18-2014, 11:28 AM   #37
regular guy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sered View Post

So when we talk deltas, you're saying you would rather have the green line in the following dyno chart than the red or blue lines?

I will try to put some other comparos like this one together from other entries in the Dyno Database for FBO and stroker on the same dyno's. I think I have three different dyno's where both stroker and FBO's have been done. The dyno chart above came from the same dyno, same day. So when you do talk delta's, make sure you're talking about the same dyno at the very least.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 11:34 AM   #38
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Huge torque increase. You get that only from displacement.

I agree that I would do something else with $30k, but also understand that the people spending $30k on modding a $60k car don't worry about spending $30k.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 09:22 PM   #39
regular guy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealYourFace View Post
It shows that this engine is pretty well maxed from the factory, and as far as bang for the buck goes, you are better off with primary cat delete and either benvo, or evolve or one of the other tunes that will get very close to the power of these strokers.
Here's three examples of strokers vs. FBO M3's on the same dyno. This is a much better example of a true delta. In the next 30-45 days, I will have a fourth example.

NOTE: These results are the best vs. best on each dyno, and some of them are apples to oranges with FBO Catless and stroker with HFC's. It doesn't mean that somebody couldn't come along with an FBO M3 onto one of these dyno's and make more power and it doesn't mean the stroker couldn't do better if it were Catless -- all it means this is the best I have in the Dyno Database with files for download to back it up (you can download each and check the "Drum ID" of the dyno to confirm).

Example-1: Specialty-Z dyno in Chatsworth, CA.
Stroker: http://www.s65dynos.com/showDyno.php?recID=147
FBO: http://www.s65dynos.com/showDyno.php?recID=205

Example-2: DNR Performance in Hayward CA
Stroker: http://www.s65dynos.com/showDyno.php?recID=607
FBO: http://www.s65dynos.com/showDyno.php?recID=610

Example-3: Newtech Performance in Hayward CA
Stroker: http://www.s65dynos.com/showDyno.php?recID=393
FBO: http://www.s65dynos.com/showDyno.php?recID=390

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 03:32 AM   #40
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Damn. Great. Engines.

But too $$$!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 02:17 PM   #41
Maypo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: IBM E92

What is FBO?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 02:21 PM   #42
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maypo View Post
What is FBO?
FBO = Full Bolt-On

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 02:24 PM   #43
e92zero
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 BW

wonder what would cam do for these strokers. Actually wonder what number would the following configuration do: fbo but not catless, cams, RD stroker package with the bigger intake plenum, dinan intake elbow, dinan throttle bodies. Think that would break 550 crank hp?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 03:04 PM   #44
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG-E92 ESS-650 BPM Tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92zero View Post
wonder what would cam do for these strokers. Actually wonder what number would the following configuration do: fbo but not catless, cams, RD stroker package with the bigger intake plenum, dinan intake elbow, dinan throttle bodies. Think that would break 550 crank hp?
Cam and head work is where the power will be. Plenum elbow and tb already flow more than what is needed for the size and rpm of this engine.
Not that ones and twos do not matter but for the effort and money just not much to be gained.
The 284/292 combo would probably be best on the stroker