BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

11-29-2022, 10:25 PM   #1
MPower7
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' e92 M3

Transmission + Engine mounts with chassis mounted shifter

Hey all,

Tried to do some searching and saw a lot of options on mounts but none in relation to a chassis mounted shifter.

I have the RTD shifter going in and have seen comments about needing stiff trans mounts with the chassis mounted shifter. The car is not a daily so I'm not as worried about NVH about 10 tracks days a year rarely driven on street. But would like to go with the least NVH while not sacrifice performance/safety of the drivetrain.

What I could not find an answer on was if engine mounts were also strongly recommended along with RTD and trans mounts. Mine are OEM about 15k miles old so would not want to replace them unless needed.

Any suggestions on which mounts to get, race, 80a, 95a?

Appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 12:23 AM   #2
leftfootbr8king
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Since the engine is the original source of drivetrain movement I would run stiffer engine mounts in conjunction with an equally stiff transmission mount. Something like BW group n engine mounts paired with 80a transmission mounts would firm up movement while introducing only a minimal amount of N and V at idle, most of which can be eliminated with an increased idle of 850-875 rpm.
Appreciate 2
MPower790.00
JobanM73.50
      11-30-2022, 08:28 AM   #3
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
As stiff as you're willing to go is best with the chassis mount, but again the engine mounts will be the primary contributor to a more consistent shift.

I'm on BW mounts and matching 80A trans. I've tried 95A trans and even though I'm not sensitive to NVH as my car is solely a track car, I wasn't a fan. I would like to try harder engine mounts but for now it's fine.

Enjoy the shifter, it's a lovely improvement.