BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

10-30-2022, 09:56 PM   #1
danvitmon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6spd

Litchfield Race Oil Cooler Review

Just installed the Litchfield Race Oil Cooler on my 2008 M3. I had gotten the car to ~270F after just an out lap, hot lap, and in lap at 95 F at Thunderhill. Lee reached out to me when I placed the order to see if I had the early/late model oil cooler line attachments. Once I had that figured out, they were able to get it to me within 5 days! From the UK to California, I was super impressed.

I got this instead of the DO88 because it came out to 644 GBP (~700 USD shipped) and it was a thicker piece. The build quality of the cooler is super high. I weld for a living and these are way better than I ever could do. It even came with the correct seals. Unfortunately it doesn't come with hardware and you need to reuse the studs/nuts from the cooler to attach the lines. That is the only thing I would change about it as one of the studs stripped when I tried to remove it from the old cooler.

They make a road cooler, and a race cooler. The road doesn't require any cutting, while the race does. You have to cut/trim the shroud above the cooler to let the cooler go up enough to get in the factory mounting points. I followed the DO88 install instructions and start to finish, it only took 3hrs. You have to add around 1.5-2 liters after the install to take the extra space and the drained fluid.

Drove the car around on the highway for a bit and it stayed right at 190-195 F. It used to stay at 205-210 just cruising. I have a track day in a few weeks so I'll post an update after that but I am thoroughly impressed with these guys. Another quality option for the track guys.

https://www.litchfieldmotors.com/sho...ce-oil-cooler/
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
      10-31-2022, 12:00 PM   #2
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Interesting, let us know your results.

I just installed my do88 oil cooler, it cost less after the ACM discount a while back.
Appreciate 0