BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-07-2020, 09:40 AM   #859
washere
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808M View Post
That helps a ton! Now I don't have to dig out my Wii to test it myself.
I gave up and bought an emulator box that BrettCP suggested. I will use that for the backup... It does need to be coded in though.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 10:42 AM   #860
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by washere View Post
I gave up and bought an emulator box that BrettCP suggested. I will use that for the backup... It does need to be coded in though.
FYI - The coding I used is found under Step 6 in this thread
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 10:45 AM   #861
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Are you having this 100% of the time? I am.
90% of the time, it doesn't work.. but for some reason, occasionally it does work (and works consistently the entire time I'm in the car). I think this is what Michael meant as their unit is "mis-judging" the bluetooth connection.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 06:05 PM   #862
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808M View Post
I took the plunge and bought and installed a unit for Android use. I got it working with the exception of audio which I later found out requires the AUX connector. I'm on the fence regarding keeping it since it also has problems with the backup camera.
I got my Pixel 3 XL today (which "officially" supports wireless android auto according to Google), did a fresh install of the latest Android 10 build.. paired it up to the BMW factory bluetooth and I can play bluetooth audio just fine. Set it up with the kremersino unit and paired it via android auto, but when I do this, I get no audio at all via bluetooth. Even if I manually switch the bluetooth audio output on the phone from carplay to the factory BMW system, I still get no audio output anywhere. If I disconnect the wifi connection from the phone to the kremersino unit (therefore disconnecting Android Auto), the bluetooth audio works again... it seems the kremersino unit wants to route audio via AUX and not bluetooth. If this is the case, I think this would be disappointing for android users.. 808M said the same thing above so perhaps this is just how it is.

Overall it seems android auto doesn't feel as "polished" as carplay does. The icons, layouts, etc just feel a bit sub-par and like a beta product at this point.. Not sure if this is android auto as a whole, or just the kremersino unit that's responsible for this, but the carplay interface is great (and just like the factory BMW carplay found in newer BMWs).

Last edited by brettcp; 01-07-2020 at 06:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 06:37 PM   #863
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettcp View Post
I got my Pixel 3 XL today (which "officially" supports wireless android auto according to Google), did a fresh install of the latest Android 10 build.. paired it up to the BMW factory bluetooth and I can play bluetooth audio just fine. Set it up with the kremersino unit and paired it via android auto, but when I do this, I get no audio at all via bluetooth. Even if I manually switch the bluetooth audio output on the phone from carplay to the factory BMW system, I still get no audio output anywhere. If I disconnect the wifi connection from the phone to the kremersino unit (therefore disconnecting Android Auto), the bluetooth audio works again... it seems the kremersino unit wants to route audio via AUX and not bluetooth. If this is the case, I think this would be disappointing for android users.. 808M said the same thing above so perhaps this is just how it is.

Overall it seems android auto doesn't feel as "polished" as carplay does. The icons, layouts, etc just feel a bit sub-par and like a beta product at this point.. Not sure if this is android auto as a whole, or just the kremersino unit that's responsible for this, but the carplay interface is great (and just like the factory BMW carplay found in newer BMWs).
Is there an option to try wired Android Auto?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 11:02 PM   #864
808M
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:

I agree on the level of polish not being up to the level of CarPlay.

The kremersino engineer told me to use the AUX connection for Android Auto. Not sure why it differs from CarPlay unless they are using a different chipset for the two services.

-Ken
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 11:03 PM   #865
808M
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Is there an option to try wired Android Auto?
I intend to try the USB connection for AA but haven’t gotten around it.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 03:48 AM   #866
Bonnygator
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 Z4 sDrive23i

808M brettcp Thanks for trying out Android Auto! Quite unfortunate that it doesn't really work the way it should. If it is indeed a case of the unit simply trying to send the audio signal through the wrong medium, I imagine that a software update could fix it.

Overall it seems like AA is not really a priority for these kinds of units, which is a bit of a deal breaker for me.

Just another question to anyone, what is the resolution like for apps on the CIC screen? Stuff like Waze etc. is it readable? I've seen solutions that actually replace the entire CIC unit with some Android head unit, one of the selling points being a higher resolution screen, but I'm not sure if that's really needed.

Last edited by Bonnygator; 01-08-2020 at 12:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 09:54 AM   #867
SocalM3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 Mineral White M3

Thank you everyone for the updates on this unit. The unit sounds really enticing at this point since most issues seemed to be worked out.

I currently uses an emulator for the backup camera and it works pretty well. Just wondering what the status on the backup camera in Carplay?
E34 Alpine White II M5
E28 Black M5
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 10:15 AM   #868
washere
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalM3 View Post
Thank you everyone for the updates on this unit. The unit sounds really enticing at this point since most issues seemed to be worked out.

I currently uses an emulator for the backup camera and it works pretty well. Just wondering what the status on the backup camera in Carplay?
It doesn't work. As far as I know, that is for 100% of the people. They seem to be claiming it is something we are doing wrong, but I doubt it. I essentially proved that it wasn't the case, and that didn't seem good enough. So, I just purchased an emulator. I am going to use both I guess... I am really missing my backup camera.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 10:49 AM   #869
SocalM3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It doesn't work. As far as I know, that is for 100% of the people. They seem to be claiming it is something we are doing wrong, but I doubt it. I essentially proved that it wasn't the case, and that didn't seem good enough. So, I just purchased an emulator. I am going to use both I guess... I am really missing my backup camera.
Thank you for the feedback. Would the emulator override the carplay's video display when you shift the car into reverse? Would that affect the audio portion of carplay? Please update us when you have installed the emulator.
E34 Alpine White II M5
E28 Black M5
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 11:13 AM   #870
washere
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for the feedback. Would the emulator override the carplay's video display when you shift the car into reverse? Would that affect the audio portion of carplay? Please update us when you have installed the emulator.
I think BrettCP already has this working. But in messing with all of this, I see a setting in the CP unit that just puts the screen back to CIC during backup. I have mine set this way now so I can see PDC. It works perfectly, so I suspect it will be the same with the emulator installed. As for audio, It keeps CP audio since that is just going into CIC via BT or Aux. I get the PDC beeps on top of CP audio.
Appreciate 1
SocalM328.00
      01-08-2020, 11:19 AM   #871
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, the factory backup video is displayed when you put the car into reverse, then it goes right back to the carplay interface once you shift out of reverse. It does not affect the audio portion of carplay - the music keeps playing throughout the entire process.
Appreciate 1
SocalM328.00
      01-08-2020, 09:38 PM   #872
SocalM3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think BrettCP already has this working. But in messing with all of this, I see a setting in the CP unit that just puts the screen back to CIC during backup. I have mine set this way now so I can see PDC. It works perfectly, so I suspect it will be the same with the emulator installed. As for audio, It keeps CP audio since that is just going into CIC via BT or Aux. I get the PDC beeps on top of CP audio.
Quote:
Yes, the factory backup video is displayed when you put the car into reverse, then it goes right back to the carplay interface once you shift out of reverse. It does not affect the audio portion of carplay - the music keeps playing throughout the entire process.
Thank you both for your inputs. I am putting in my order for one! Can't wait!
E34 Alpine White II M5
E28 Black M5

Last edited by SocalM3; 01-08-2020 at 09:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 09:59 PM   #873
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep

I asked Michael when we'd see a software update, he said it won't be until after the Chinese new year, so we should see an update sometime in February.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 11:46 PM   #874
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

For those planning the camera emulator, are you planning to wire it to the quadlock? One quadlock behind the CIC unit already crams the back there.

I did a quadlock harness with emulator for RVC for my brother's E90D and it works like OE after coding.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 11:24 AM   #875
washere
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
For those planning the camera emulator, are you planning to wire it to the quadlock? One quadlock behind the CIC unit already crams the back there.

I did a quadlock harness with emulator for RVC for my brother's E90D and it works like OE after coding.
I ordered the one wih the quadlock. I figure I will put it with the far end of that cable from the Carplay unit in the area between the center console and the glovebox (e93). That should be okay in terms of fit. We will find out when it gets here...
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 11:33 AM   #876
Renegadenick
Petrol Head
Rep
Drives: Slow Cars

Garage List
I was able to fit both the rear view camera and unichip wired carplay quadlocks together, I had to dremel out some plastic "support" material on the right side behind the cic I unit however to make the headunit slide all the way back. Works perfect.

@Nicholastran213
Appreciate 1
derbo3592.00
      01-10-2020, 10:20 AM   #877
Albert825
Rep
Drives: Red e92 m3 DCY

Avin sucks

Avin is horrible. Bad customer service. I was in a3 month dispute with avin and pay pal. My head unit didn't work and they didn't want to give me a refund.
      01-13-2020, 09:43 AM   #878
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

I ended up retrofiting the combox into my car and like brettcp said, I am having the unreliable switching from Carplay to BT mic. I did noticed the BT mic has a good amount of static like its AM quality.

Either way, I'm happy to not be running the external mic and AUX-in.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 08:40 PM   #879
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

anybody else's apple maps not turn to dark mode at dusk? I never seen night mode on my apple maps even when its dark af. Google and waze are fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 12:26 AM   #880
rod.bearings
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

My backup camera works with the CarPlay box. But mine is the older version with aux and aftermarket mic