BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

02-16-2020, 09:08 PM   #243
slicer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 - '17 F31 330i

Looks fantastic! ^^
'13 AW E92 M3 - Ohlins TTX, SPL Susp Arms, AP Racing BBK (Essex), Akrapovic GT4, CSF Cooling, VPhreaks Bat, OE M3 GTS - Lip/RSD/Cage, M235ir Wing, Varis Diffuser, Karbonius Airbox, MFactory DS, M24 Door Cards, KMP Wheel, Cobra Seats w/BK Mounts, BBS E88
'17 MR 330i F31 M-Sport Touring - For Lease Assumption - Forged BBS RE - For Sale
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 02:16 PM   #244
OC ///M
Dr. Octagon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Moonstone e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
The FI was no doubt a bad a$$ wheel and the weight was incredible. However, things have changed since that wheel spec was released. I sell very few 9.5/10.5 wheels. You leave a lot on the table with wheels that narrow. 265/285 is great for the street because it's the best size option in the Michelin 4S (best street tire IMO). However, if you want any tire with more grip for track or canyon use then that size frankly has next to zero options. The spec I have been doing these days is 265/35/18 front paired with a 295/30/18 rear. Or even 295/30/18 square for crazy people like myself who want maximum tire. There are tons of tires available in those sizes. That being said, 9.5 and 10.5 is simply not as wide as you want to go for these wider tire sizes. I typically run 10" or 10.5" front and 11" rear (if running staggered) or 10.5" square. I wouldn't have any interest in the old FI specs unless I were running 10.5 square.

Wider wheels provide more sidewall support, increase tread width, and squeeze more out of the tires. Light weight wheels are important but I would also prioritize proper widths, offsets, strength, etc. If you are worried about inner clearance there are solutions for that.

PS - I miss seeing your incredible moonstone e92. Damn that thing is insane.
Thanks for your reply and explanation about wider wheels and more rubber, Brett. While I can appreciate why some would want to go square or want 11" wheels, for me, I didn't want to veer too far from the original design characteristics or turn it into a track car. Even BMW Motorsport ran the GT4 staggered in a 9.5/10. Lastly, I'm not a real fan of the "pointier" RIA design compared to the FI's rounder inner spoke. What a letdown that this wheel is discontinued...I sent a PM to the guy who bought mine asking if I could buy them back, although I'm not holding out much hope.

2013 E92 M3 Individual
Sold: 2011 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Into a Wall: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2007 E92 335i JB
Appreciate 3
      02-20-2020, 01:36 PM   #245
slicer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 - '17 F31 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC ///M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
The FI was no doubt a bad a$$ wheel and the weight was incredible. [COLOR="Red"]However, [COLOR="DarkOrange"][COLOR="DarkRed"]things[/COLOR][/COLOR] have changed since that wheel spec was released.[/COLOR] I sell very few 9.5/10.5 wheels. You leave a lot on the table with wheels that narrow. 265/285 is great for the street because it's the best size option in the Michelin 4S (best street tire IMO). However, if you want any tire with more grip for track or canyon use then that size frankly has next to zero options. The spec I have been doing these days is 265/35/18 front paired with a 295/30/18 rear. Or even 295/30/18 square for crazy people like myself who want maximum tire. There are tons of tires available in those sizes. That being said, 9.5 and 10.5 is simply not as wide as you want to go for these wider tire sizes. I typically run 10" or 10.5" front and 11" rear (if running staggered) or 10.5" square. I wouldn't have any interest in the old FI specs unless I were running 10.5 square.

Wider wheels provide more sidewall support, increase tread width, and squeeze more out of the tires. Light weight wheels are important but I would also prioritize proper widths, offsets, strength, etc. If you are worried about inner clearance there are solutions for that.

PS - I miss seeing your incredible moonstone e92. Damn that thing is insane.
Thanks for your reply and explanation about wider wheels and more rubber, Brett. While I can appreciate why some would want to go square or want 11" wheels, for me, I didn't want to veer too far from the original design characteristics or turn it into a track car. Even BMW Motorsport ran the GT4 staggered in a 9.5/10. Lastly, I'm not a real fan of the "pointier" RIA design compared to the FI's rounder inner spoke. What a letdown that this wheel is discontinued...I sent a PM to the guy who bought mine asking if I could buy them back, although I'm not holding out much hope.

You are correct on the M3GT4 wheel sizes. Interestingly, they also used 5mm front and 15mm rear spacers. The M4 GT4 is now using 11" wide wheels with 305's square. All with a 32mm front spacer.

I might be able to get another run of 18" FI made if there's enough interest.
'13 AW E92 M3 - Ohlins TTX, SPL Susp Arms, AP Racing BBK (Essex), Akrapovic GT4, CSF Cooling, VPhreaks Bat, OE M3 GTS - Lip/RSD/Cage, M235ir Wing, Varis Diffuser, Karbonius Airbox, MFactory DS, M24 Door Cards, KMP Wheel, Cobra Seats w/BK Mounts, BBS E88
'17 MR 330i F31 M-Sport Touring - For Lease Assumption - Forged BBS RE - For Sale
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 1