BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

12-31-2019, 12:29 PM   #903
k_mann
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Anyone else break the two clips that attach to the engine (on the head just below the valve cover)? I tried wiggling them out but the connector just snapped on both. I'm assuming its fine to leave?

Insta: @kmannc
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 02:34 PM   #904
InnerBlueSkies
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aututto View Post
Anyone else break the two clips that attach to the engine (on the head just below the valve cover)? I tried wiggling them out but the connector just snapped on both. I'm assuming its fine to leave?
I did

I just left them hanging. They seemed taut enough to not be an issue.
Appreciate 1
SAMM3Y3085.00
      01-05-2020, 09:04 PM   #905
Locksmythe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3 AW/FR

I think I am up for a TVA change now but want to confirm my undertstanding of the codes before I order an expensive part. The codes pointing me to this are 2B15 and 5E19, the latter of which I don't actually see in the code sticky. The 2B15 suggested actions are: Check plug and wiring harness at throttle valve sensor DKG1 and electronic throttle valve control EDR1, then Replace DKG1 or EDR for Bank 1. I don't know exactly what those are, but I see people replacing TVA to resolve.

Is this the likely solution? I am getting occasional limo mode, increasingly frequently over last few weeks.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 10:18 AM   #906
im4ipsc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92 ZCP Comp S/C

Tools That Might Make Replacing Throttle Actuators Easier

My buddies E90 M3 needed Bank 2 replaced last weekend and after reviewing this thread, I put together these tools that made this task just a little easier, especially disconnecting some of those connectors (used nylon interior trim tool).

Another post on this forum recommended the following tricks for the different types of connectors that you encounter with this task and I thought that I would reiterate again:
- for the connectors with the M shaped wire, squeeze the wire towards the connector
- for the TVA connectors, press down on the latch which is at the wire end of the connector
- for the tubular connector in the V that is held by a metal U shaped clamp just remove the connector from the clamp and you will create enough slack to lift the wiring bundle sufficiently to extract the TVAs

Of note, the dry lube is for high heat applications up to 500 F which makes it ideal for this area of the engine. I use it on my E92 M3 and have not had any squeaking or issues (e.g. 1 minute cold start) with my TBAs at 86k miles.

Now I am not saying that you have to have all of these tools to perform this task, only that it made this DIY a little easier.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      01-18-2020, 07:40 AM   #907
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locksmythe View Post
I think I am up for a TVA change now but want to confirm my undertstanding of the codes before I order an expensive part. The codes pointing me to this are 2B15 and 5E19, the latter of which I don't actually see in the code sticky. The 2B15 suggested actions are: Check plug and wiring harness at throttle valve sensor DKG1 and electronic throttle valve control EDR1, then Replace DKG1 or EDR for Bank 1. I don't know exactly what those are, but I see people replacing TVA to resolve.

Is this the likely solution? I am getting occasional limo mode, increasingly frequently over last few weeks.
2B15 i believe is certain for one if the TAs going bad. Had the same code popping up + limp mode, gone since replacement. Heres som more details on the codes:
https://www.rebuild.org.uk
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2020, 05:59 AM   #908
im4ipsc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92 ZCP Comp S/C

A picture of my friend's 2009 E90 M3 Bank 2 Throttle Actuator

We just took this out of my friend's M3 and thought I would share a picture of what the definition of "shredded" might be for some of the DIYers on this thread. As a follow on to my recently added tools to use for anyone wanting to change out their TBAs themselves and save a bit of money when compared to the BMW stealerships, the most handy tool was the 11" long flex driver in 6mm that was used to remove the eight clamps on the velocity stacks. I caution you not to use a flex drive that has multiple ends that you switch around as these ends could come off of the back two 6mm clamp's nuts and create even more dilemna for your job. Both the uninstall and the install tasks were a bit easier than using swivel sockets and swivel ratchets as we could "hang" the tool on the 6mm clamp's nut and not push it towards the rubber stop. Pushing the nut towards the rubber stop can lead to the clamp rotating on you even if you have taken the caution of removing as much slack from the clamp so that the clamp does not rotate.

Another trick that I used was I applied some high temp lithium grease to the inside of the rubber on the velocity stacks and I also applied it to the outside of the plastic stacks on the intake manifold (or whatever it is called?). But before I applied the grease to the plastic intake manifold, I took a debur tool and ever so lightly scraped the outside edges of the plastic velocity stacks. I couldn't believe the sharp edges on this plastic which, by my estimation, can catch the rubber rings on the metal velocity stacks and make for installing all eight for difficult (forgot to take a picture). The aforementioned process made the installation go on the first time. But I throw caution to anyone doing the deburring task, just a tiny little bit of plastic removal (debur) is best.

I then, as a matter of good housekeeping, vacuumed out any debris on the plastic intake manifold's rings and inside of it so that no FOD would be present prior to using the lithium grease.

Anyways, sorry for being so lengthy in my Tips & Tricks. I hope that it helps someone else...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Macpsi23.50
      01-19-2020, 11:54 AM   #909
drrust
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by im4ipsc View Post
We just took this out of my friend's M3 and thought I would share a picture of what the definition of "shredded" might be for some of the DIYers on this thread. As a follow on to my recently added tools to use for anyone wanting to change out their TBAs themselves and save a bit of money when compared to the BMW stealerships, the most handy tool was the 11" long flex driver in 6mm that was used to remove the eight clamps on the velocity stacks. I caution you not to use a flex drive that has multiple ends that you switch around as these ends could come off of the back two 6mm clamp's nuts and create even more dilemna for your job. Both the uninstall and the install tasks were a bit easier than using swivel sockets and swivel ratchets as we could "hang" the tool on the 6mm clamp's nut and not push it towards the rubber stop. Pushing the nut towards the rubber stop can lead to the clamp rotating on you even if you have taken the caution of removing as much slack from the clamp so that the clamp does not rotate.

Another trick that I used was I applied some high temp lithium grease to the inside of the rubber on the velocity stacks and I also applied it to the outside of the plastic stacks on the intake manifold (or whatever it is called?). But before I applied the grease to the plastic intake manifold, I took a debur tool and ever so lightly scraped the outside edges of the plastic velocity stacks. I couldn't believe the sharp edges on this plastic which, by my estimation, can catch the rubber rings on the metal velocity stacks and make for installing all eight for difficult (forgot to take a picture). The aforementioned process made the installation go on the first time. But I throw caution to anyone doing the deburring task, just a tiny little bit of plastic removal (debur) is best.

I then, as a matter of good housekeeping, vacuumed out any debris on the plastic intake manifold's rings and inside of it so that no FOD would be present prior to using the lithium grease.

Anyways, sorry for being so lengthy in my Tips & Tricks. I hope that it helps someone else...
That looks like a replacement gear. That cracked.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 10:10 AM   #910
Rmcampanholi
RafaCampanholi
Brazil
Rep
Drives: M3 e92 Manual 2009

Hey guys i just got an e92 m3 manual gearbox like 50 days ago and yesterday i got my first "limp mode" on the car. Also, i noticed some eletric malfunctions like lamps that dont work and "increased battery discharge" advise on pannel. Guy that sold me the car said battery was changed 3 months before, like September/2019. Question is: can changing the battery and not registering/coding lead to "limp mode" or is it actually a mechanical problem (not electric)? Ty in advance and sorry for my bad english.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 12:46 PM   #911
Ab28
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3/E39 M5/128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrust View Post
That looks like a replacement gear. That cracked.
Definitely....the shaft is so out-of-round it's definitely been replaced.

Some replacement sets come with the shaft already in the gear to avoid this.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 10:43 AM   #912
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmcampanholi View Post
Hey guys i just got an e92 m3 manual gearbox like 50 days ago and yesterday i got my first "limp mode" on the car. Also, i noticed some eletric malfunctions like lamps that dont work and "increased battery discharge" advise on pannel. Guy that sold me the car said battery was changed 3 months before, like September/2019. Question is: can changing the battery and not registering/coding lead to "limp mode" or is it actually a mechanical problem (not electric)? Ty in advance and sorry for my bad english.
No don't believe that can generate limp mode, or any issues at all other than possibly decrease battery life time. I'd get a scanner such as Carly to get a better understanding. Also, check voltage with engine on to make sure the alternator works.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 06:21 PM   #913
Locksmythe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
2B15 i believe is certain for one if the TAs going bad. Had the same code popping up + limp mode, gone since replacement. Heres som more details on the codes:
https://www.rebuild.org.uk
Well, I got a late start today, in the driveway, because it was warm, and now I am working with a lamp and flashlight. Can't get enough play in the wiring harness to get the actuator out. ^&#*!^#$(

Edi: Ok, pulled another cable out of a clip on the driver side throttle bank and removed a cable going into the bottom of thermostat housing. Changing both now, I don't need to do this BS again soon!

Last edited by Locksmythe; 02-17-2020 at 06:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 05:38 AM   #914
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Well, I got a late start today, in the driveway, because it was warm, and now I am working with a lamp and flashlight. Can't get enough play in the wiring harness to get the actuator out. ^&#*!^#$(

Edi: Ok, pulled another cable out of a clip on the driver side throttle bank and removed a cable going into the bottom of thermostat housing. Changing both now, I don't need to do this BS again soon!
Haha, I know the feeling mate! I looked at 2-3 differnet DIY's they are all slightly different and in fact I ended up doing it slightly different again. Major pain for me was to actually disconnect some of them, damn took hard finger tops!
Ps. Be sure you don't forget the front hose to the plenum. Bit tricky to connect once plenum in place...
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 06:47 AM   #915
Locksmythe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Haha, I know the feeling mate! I looked at 2-3 differnet DIY's they are all slightly different and in fact I ended up doing it slightly different again. Major pain for me was to actually disconnect some of them, damn took hard finger tops!
Ps. Be sure you don't forget the front hose to the plenum. Bit tricky to connect once plenum in place...
I got then reconnected okay, but the plastic clamp on the front hose under the intake cracked when I was removing it. I am guessing by the way it routes it goes back to the idle valve. I really don't want to disassemble everything again. It does seem to hold fast with the one side still grasping.

Anyone know if I can splice a new one on that hose?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 03:37 PM   #916
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
I got then reconnected okay, but the plastic clamp on the front hose under the intake cracked when I was removing it. I am guessing by the way it routes it goes back to the idle valve. I really don't want to disassemble everything again. It does seem to hold fast with the one side still grasping.

I drove for a day before I realized I forgot the front hose. Noticed to difference, no codes, so maybe ok with a temporary fix for now?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 09:14 PM   #917
da jemster
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3,E93 M3,F22 M235i,i1 i3

Quote:

I've been driving like this for over 3 years now. That hose is firm enough that it stays put inside the opening.
      02-18-2020, 10:03 PM   #918
Locksmythe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by da jemster View Post
I've been driving like this for over 3 years now. That hose is firm enough that it stays put inside the opening.
Which is why I cracked it. Kept squeezing harder because it didn't pop out. Had not taken the plenum off in years and didn't remember there was an O-ring on that one.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 10:28 AM   #919
ThatM3guy
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

I did this over the weekend, and everything worked out, but question for someone... i dont know how the plenum is supposed to sit over the TB's, and i looks like there is a rubber ridge on the plenum gasket but does that go gasket???

If anyone has pix of what it should look like on each side, that would help.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 10:36 AM   #920
randrews15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3 Le Mans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatM3guy View Post
I did this over the weekend, and everything worked out, but question for someone... i dont know how the plenum is supposed to sit over the TB's, and i looks like there is a rubber ridge on the plenum gasket but does that go gasket???

If anyone has pix of what it should look like on each side, that would help.
It should seat totally flush when properly mounted. Your gaskets may of become still from age as mine did. You can buy new gaskets and the clamps to resolve this issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 10:40 AM   #921
ThatM3guy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by randrews15 View Post
It should seat totally flush when properly mounted. Your gaskets may of become still from age as mine did. You can buy new gaskets and the clamps to resolve this issue.
I plan to take it back a part and lube with (white lithium?) and then try to re-seat the plenum. I know the back cylinder isnt sitting correctly.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 03:09 PM   #922
TX
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 ///M3 E92 APW 6MT

Quote:
I plan to take it back a part and lube with (white lithium?) and then try to re-seat the plenum. I know the back cylinder isnt sitting correctly.
Make sure your hose clamps are backed of enough to allow the rubber boots to slip over the butterflies ports on the engine. if they are too tight they will hold you back from getting a good seat. Then you lean on the plenum until they are all seated fully. The two rear ones will take some leverage as you cant get up on top to push down. i had to bounce on it a few times with my fist to get them to seat. You can check them with a mirror and a light. You could also look for a plenum DIY, There's probably a pile of videos or photos.
      04-29-2020, 01:03 PM   #923
ThatM3guy
Rep

Took it apart yesterday, and one of the rear cylinders had the rubber boot bent in, preventing it from being pushed down.

I lubed the rubber with some white lithium, and it popped down with much less effort. That said, I forgot to plug in all the hoses (one back, two front) until after i pushed the plenum down, and so now I am getting an SES light w/ 'Incrased Emissions. Need to check my hoses, but pretty sure its the rear one.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 03:37 PM   #924
ThatM3guy
Rep

Quote:
Took it apart yesterday, and one of the rear cylinders had the rubber boot bent in, preventing it from being pushed down.

I lubed the rubber with some white lithium, and it popped down with much less effort. That said, I forgot to plug in all the hoses (one back, two front) until after i pushed the plenum down, and so now I am getting an SES light w/ 'Incrased Emissions. Need to check my hoses, but pretty sure its the rear one.
I ran the codes, and it was for a cam position sensor, bank A---anyone have a picture of which wire the cam position sensors are?
Appreciate 0