BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

02-01-2020, 11:07 PM   #23
TMANN
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 M3; '95 M3; '12 X535d

I just did the VAC baffled pan (core exchange with VAC) along with their coated rod bearings & ARP bolts kit. Admittedly, I didn't do extensive research on the baffle. I saw it at VAC (was in their shop) and also have one in my E36 M3 track car, so I figured, "gotta have it" since this E92 will be seeing track time.

No leaks from the pan, but I'm definitely having oil reading issues. Took 9L to fill at the shop. On the way home showed low reading. I put another 0.5L in, then ok to almost Max level. Its been 3 weeks and almost 600 miles since the change, including a few long highway drives. I've had low oil warning (add 1L) so I did that, now just a few days later it shows yellow warning overfill.
Based on all the threads about the sensor, not sure if its just normal shitty sensor readings or if the baffle is causing some issues. VAC said they have had no issues, and no complaints.
I'm...wait for it...BAFFLED!
Appreciate 1
slcook541859.50
      02-02-2020, 10:15 AM   #24
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMANN View Post
I just did the VAC baffled pan (core exchange with VAC) along with their coated rod bearings & ARP bolts kit. Admittedly, I didn't do extensive research on the baffle. I saw it at VAC (was in their shop) and also have one in my E36 M3 track car, so I figured, "gotta have it" since this E92 will be seeing track time.

No leaks from the pan, but I'm definitely having oil reading issues. Took 9L to fill at the shop. On the way home showed low reading. I put another 0.5L in, then ok to almost Max level. Its been 3 weeks and almost 600 miles since the change, including a few long highway drives. I've had low oil warning (add 1L) so I did that, now just a few days later it shows yellow warning overfill.
Based on all the threads about the sensor, not sure if its just normal shitty sensor readings or if the baffle is causing some issues. VAC said they have had no issues, and no complaints.
I have similar issues after an oil change. Never add a full qt of oil. Only 1/2 at most. My oil warnings eventually went away. It seems the sensor is affected but in my case it's not sustained once I get the oil to a certain level.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 08:20 PM   #25
shootnjunky
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 bmw m3

I just added this myself
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 12:25 PM   #26
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by maicol76 View Post
Lower oil pressure (than stock) was recorded at some corners on my aim logger. Now back to the stock pan, the oil pressure before installing VAC baffle is maintained.
I don't know why.
How did you get Aim to report oil pressure?
I can only get oil temp
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 12:29 PM   #27
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMANN View Post

This happens to me.
I do oil changes at ACM.
They fill it up to the low indicator and give me extra quart for the road.
After I drive it for awhile, the low gets up to almost full, I then add a bit more.

The first time I panicked on the way home because I got low oil warning (after the oil change) I filled it up and after a week it showed "overfilled"

So now I wait until I drive it for a while
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 12:35 AM   #28
TMANN
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 M3; '95 M3; '12 X535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyary View Post
This happens to me.
I do oil changes at ACM.
They fill it up to the low indicator and give me extra quart for the road.
After I drive it for awhile, the low gets up to almost full, I then add a bit more.

The first time I panicked on the way home because I got low oil warning (after the oil change) I filled it up and after a week it showed "overfilled"

So now I wait until I drive it for a while
Three months later and the oil indicator is still up and down without me doing anything. After the initial low/high drama for a few weeks, it settled into a level between mid and high, so I thought it had worked out. It was in that sweet spot for about a month. Just recently, after the car had sat for a week or so, it went back to showing high with the yellow overfill. Not driving much now due to COVID, but this is really dumb. I keep hoping that the inevitable oil consumption will self-correct this issue.
Every time I look over at my E36 engine bay, I wonder why the dipstick had to disappear on the E92.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 08:35 AM   #29
E92Mthusiast
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, ferrari F360

This is something I have been researching, and I haven't heard of anyone actually having oil starvation issues... not sure if this is necessary?
'08 E90 M3- AW 6spd/Slicktop, '23 M340-SSG on black w/ blue stitching, '22 Nissan frontier Pro4x (daily), '83 Porsche 944 Guards/Black 5 spd, '02 Porsche 911tt Track car, Lotus Emira 1st edition, V6, 6 spd ON ORDER
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 10:23 AM   #30
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Have you guys considered an Accusump instead of the oil pan modification, if it's really that tricky to get right?
      09-15-2020, 05:58 PM   #31
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Have you guys considered an Accusump instead of the oil pan modification, if it's really that tricky to get right?
That is big $$ and requires deletion of AC. Track car only move.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 1
kyippee1072.00
      01-05-2021, 10:33 AM   #32
Lienrocs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, M4 GTS, HP4

Want to add an update to this thread. I absolutely would not do this again via VAC. I had the pan delivered and installed at one of the most reputable E92 shops in SoCal so this had nothing to do with anyone other than VAC and their horrible quality control and fabrication. I really hope I'm the only bad egg but I just want to give everyone a warning. I had my pan installed while doing rod bearings as a while you're in there thing for the same reason a lot of people do, I figured it couldn't hurt for my track build. However, as soon as I got home the pan was leaking like crazy. I swapped the oil level sender because I thought it was leaking from the original one not sealing properly due heat cycling and becoming brittle but that didn't solve the issue. I got back under the car to see what else I could see and there was a pretty good size crack in the pan as well as oil seeping through a bunch of pinholes in the welds. I'm very disappointed considering the price of the pan as well as install. I've come up with a stop gap while trying to figure out the best course of action but VAC has been less than helpful and basically said bummer. Like I said, I really hope I'm the only one this ever happens to but just a heads up to everyone.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
SYT_Shadow11421.00
Davisca4552207.50
rhyary1557.00
      01-05-2021, 03:06 PM   #33
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lienrocs View Post
Want to add an update to this thread. I absolutely would not do this again via VAC. I had the pan delivered and installed at one of the most reputable E92 shops in SoCal so this had nothing to do with anyone other than VAC and their horrible quality control and fabrication. I really hope I'm the only bad egg but I just want to give everyone a warning. I had my pan installed while doing rod bearings as a while you're in there thing for the same reason a lot of people do, I figured it couldn't hurt for my track build. However, as soon as I got home the pan was leaking like crazy. I swapped the oil level sender because I thought it was leaking from the original one not sealing properly due heat cycling and becoming brittle but that didn't solve the issue. I got back under the car to see what else I could see and there was a pretty good size crack in the pan as well as oil seeping through a bunch of pinholes in the welds. I'm very disappointed considering the price of the pan as well as install. I've come up with a stop gap while trying to figure out the best course of action but VAC has been less than helpful and basically said bummer. Like I said, I really hope I'm the only one this ever happens to but just a heads up to everyone.
Thank you for posting this. VAC is a never ending stream of epic fails, just one after the other.

And meanwhile people are debating whether they should buy their rod bearings... um, no, no one should buy things from people that suck
Appreciate 6
//steve\\1074.00
b4hand661.00
Kelse921131.50
rhyary1557.00
Lienrocs701.00
      01-08-2021, 12:12 PM   #34
CorruptCommie
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

Quote:
Who welded the oil pan? From VAC or the shop?
      01-08-2021, 04:11 PM   #35
Lienrocs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, M4 GTS, HP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorruptCommie View Post
Quote:
Who welded the oil pan? From VAC or the shop?
VAC. All done by them.

Edit: they welded in the baffle and shipped the entire unit to the install shop. That wasn't clear in the original reply.
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2021, 12:40 AM   #36
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Supra MK5, F44 235GC

Yikes. I had my baffles welded by a reputable local shop and it also leaked like that, after the car warms up.

Ended up not using it and had the stock pan put back on.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 05:52 AM   #37
Exclusivs
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

That's unfortunate.Thnks for posting. How many engines to be claimed by..shotty coated bearings or other careless Vac parts.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      01-11-2021, 07:24 AM   #38
Macpsi
Private
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 m3 6mt

Garage List
1997 Eclipse GST  [0.00]
2002 Lexus IS300  [0.00]
2011 e92 M3  [0.00]
Had one installed while bearings, mounts, and plugs were done. My old pan had an incredibly shoddy tap done on the drain bolt and cracked the pan. They used a sealant to keep it from leaking SMH. (previous owner)

The only thing I have discovered so far is the inconsistent oil level readings, which can definitely be annoying. I have seen a small leak, that only recently started happening from my last diy oil change. I did reuse the drain bolt so that may be the cause.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 02:20 PM   #39
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exclusivs View Post
That's unfortunate.Thnks for posting. How many engines to be claimed by..shotty coated bearings or other careless Vac parts.
Heh.

I was going to say the most definite side effect will be a lighter wallet.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 1
Exclusivs540.50