BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

06-19-2015, 03:31 PM   #1
WayneM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90M5

Passing NY OBDII Emissions Test With the BMS Downpipe Fix

After realizing 2 years ago that I was not going to pass the NY State OBDII emissions test with my Evolve X-pipe and tune I started looking for alternatives to swapping my exhaust each year for inspection. Along the way I purchased a used BMS Downpipe fix for the S65 and installed it. No matter what tune I got from Sal at Evolve it didn't work. We tried a few times and when I eventually got a tune that at least allowed the sensors to try to go ready I would still get increased emissions errors. Eventually I decided to just remove it. While taking it out and re-reading the instructions to make sure I put everything back correctly I discovered that I had one of the pins in the engine harness off by one spot. If you have seen the instructions you would see that this is an easy mistake to make as the wires and holes are TINY and crowded. I still removed it and it sat on my desk in my office for many months. In the meantime for last year's inspection I swapped back my stock exhaust to pass inspection with the special emissions tune. Fast forward to a nice day a few months ago and I decided to try it again and this time I made sure I installed it correctly. A little later I put my emissions tune back in and waited to see if everything would go ready. I was getting other codes off and on and I would have to reset the codes which would clear any readiness. I would also get increased emissions errors off and on. Then as it got warmer out I stopped getting the increased emissions error which I am almost sure was related to cold start temperatures and my idle control valve. One day last week I checked the port and everything (except EVAP) was ready! I turned the car off and on a few times to check and it worked twice. On my 3rd try it triggered the throttle actuator Bank 1 error that I had seen once before a few weeks earlier. DOH! I cleared that and drove for 3 days with no codes thrown and checked this morning and I was good to go. I went right to the inspection station but they were busy so I had to come back later. I was afraid something would happen but luckily it didn't and I now passed NY State OBDII inspection with an aftermarket X-pipe (I did at least get the version with cats but they are located further down the line after the O2 sensors). Hooray for the BMS downpipe fix! It is too bad they don't make them anymore but you may be able to find a used one.

P.S. I already purchased the throttle actuator and may put it in this weekend along with new spark plugs and a new idle control valve.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 04:11 PM   #2
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Also note that stronger on the BMS is counter clockwise not clockwise. It is the reverse of what you would think.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 01:17 PM   #3
M3NACE90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Thumbs up

Hey I just came across this post. Im looking to install my bms dp fix this weekend, so you installed it with the evolve tune on the car or stock tune? I currently have gintani tune and i dont want to flash back to stock if its not needed when installing the bms fix. thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 10:32 PM   #4
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3NACE90 View Post
Hey I just came across this post. Im looking to install my bms dp fix this weekend, so you installed it with the evolve tune on the car or stock tune? I currently have gintani tune and i dont want to flash back to stock if its not needed when installing the bms fix. thanks
Gintani tune will not pass inNYS period. Nothing you can do, flash back to stock.
Appreciate 0