BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-11-2024, 01:50 PM   #23475
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E82 128i, F82 M4, E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Adding front bar will increase understeer. Are you sure this is what you want?
A front bar will feel flatter and more planted on the street, but might not produce the desired effect on the track.
I'd say this is true, except if he's on stock springs (or a mild lowering spring). Then a front sway bar can help get you more front end grip just by limiting the camber loss mid-corner. I did this on my 128i, and added on the adjustable Hotchkis M3 bar and it helped on track. But, that was with some Eibach off the shelf lowering springs, so still very soft rates.

Otherwise, yes. If you already have a coilover setup with decent spring rates, adding on the front bar alone will just make the car understeer more.
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11586.00
      01-11-2024, 09:34 PM   #23476
romero1990
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F25 X3

Garage List
2017 X3  [0.00]
2009 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Adding front bar will increase understeer. Are you sure this is what you want?
A front bar will feel flatter and more planted on the street, but might not produce the desired effect on the track.
The problem though, the PO had a RDsport bar on and the bushing are worn out. I am also on B12 pro kit so not exactly full stock. I want to make it a step forward for more track days build. But also open to a better route.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 10:49 AM   #23477
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

The B12 kit is still quite soft spring rates. So I'd say adding the front bar on its own will be fine and be a net positive result.
I think the Hotchkis bar is the best available since it's the most adjustable.
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2024, 01:56 PM   #23478
e92BMW///M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk94 View Post
The B12 kit is still quite soft spring rates. So I'd say adding the front bar on its own will be fine and be a net positive result.
I think the Hotchkis bar is the best available since it's the most adjustable.
I was looking at this bar as a band-aid solution with my Ohlins R&T but was concerned about just increasing understeer as was mentioned. Any thoughts on where the line is in terms of benefit/hinderance ?
      01-12-2024, 02:09 PM   #23479
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92BMW///M3 View Post
I was looking at this bar as a band-aid solution with my Ohlins R&T but was concerned about just increasing understeer as was mentioned. Any thoughts on where the line is in terms of benefit/hinderance ?
Do you know what spring rates your kit has? I believe it's changed over the years a few times.

I'd guess it's probably getting to the limit of where it would actually help. Good chance it just adds some understeer unless you add a rear bar upgrade at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 04:04 PM   #23480
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Do you know what spring rates your kit has? I believe it's changed over the years a few times.

I'd guess it's probably getting to the limit of where it would actually help. Good chance it just adds some understeer unless you add a rear bar upgrade at the same time.
342/685 lbs/in is the off the shelf Ohlins RT setup.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2024, 05:59 PM   #23481
e92BMW///M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
342/685 lbs/in is the off the shelf Ohlins RT setup.
Yes, these are the rates I've got
      01-14-2024, 02:45 PM   #23482
tlrid3r
just another M3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1zzaboy View Post
You can loosen the 4 front subframe bolts and center it. There’s enough play there to get more than 1deg camber difference each side
This is not true. The front subframe is pinned. I confirmed this and there isn’t enough play to affect camber more than a fraction of a degree. Plus there are 8 bolts holding it up.
///M3... Don't want more power, Just want it to turn sharper one step closer each time. -Ohlins TTX Raceline, PolePostions seats, Akrapovic EVO, ARC-8, 1/2 Cage, Seat Delete, Stoptech BBK, solid Subframe and diff bushing, spherical bearing on everything.
Appreciate 1
amg6975500.00
      01-14-2024, 05:20 PM   #23483
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrid3r View Post
This is not true. The front subframe is pinned. I confirmed this and there isn’t enough play to affect camber more than a fraction of a degree. Plus there are 8 bolts holding it up.
There's almost zero play in the front subframe. I tried to get rigid collars installed once and it was a bitch cos the tolerances in the bolt holes were super tight.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 09:38 AM   #23484
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Quote:
I'd say this is true, except if he's on stock springs (or a mild lowering spring). Then a front sway bar can help get you more front end grip just by limiting the camber loss mid-corner. I did this on my 128i, and added on the adjustable Hotchkis M3 bar and it helped on track. But, that was with some Eibach off the shelf lowering springs, so still very soft rates.

Otherwise, yes. If you already have a coilover setup with decent spring rates, adding on the front bar alone will just make the car understeer more.
Accurate. I am using the Dinan front bar with a 300-ish lb front spring, stock ZCP rear spring (X6 code I believe, been a while since I looked), 2.2-5 degrees of front camber and ZCP-ish ride height. Of course there are other faster better-handling solutions, but they demand other compromises. So it really depends what you're trying to achieve. My car is set up to be comfortable on the street, be able to clear transitions, bumps, etc., and not destroy its tires immediately on track and it mostly accomplishes that goal. The car would push like a broom without the bar, particularly on a good tire it really needs the extra roll resistance to get the nose in and keep your options open mid-corner on such soft springs

Last edited by Richbot; 01-15-2024 at 09:44 AM..
Appreciate 1
tsk941522.00
      01-15-2024, 01:35 PM   #23485
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 - SSII

Has anyone experimented with bump springs up front? I need a solution that does not require increasing the front spring rate over 900 lbs since I like the current feel, but my splitter is getting trashed at Buttonwillow.
      01-15-2024, 02:21 PM   #23486
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by okusa View Post
Has anyone experimented with bump springs up front? I need a solution that does not require increasing the front spring rate over 900 lbs since I like the current feel, but my splitter is getting trashed at Buttonwillow.
Love this! I assume the splitter thrashing is coming from aeroload near the back end of straights and into initial braking?
      01-15-2024, 03:35 PM   #23487
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
Love this! I assume the splitter thrashing is coming from aeroload near the back end of straights and into initial braking?
I think it's happening all over, but in particular on Off Ramp (nasty off camber right hander) and Riverside (high speed sweeper).
      01-15-2024, 05:07 PM   #23488
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
I think it's happening all over, but in particular on Off Ramp (nasty off camber right hander) and Riverside (high speed sweeper).
Hmmm, please let us know where you land between a spring vs rubber. But if you feel under sprung in corners, then you’d want to go up in spring rate (which you said you didn’t want to do) or dial up the sway bar? I’m not a suspension engineer, just trying to visualize. Hopefully someone competent pipes in.
      01-15-2024, 08:19 PM   #23489
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i listened to a "tune your car's handling" podcast by ross bentley and race engineer jeff braun a while back. they touched on dual rate spring rates and how complicated they can be. i don't have much to repeat about that.

they did touch on how easy it can be to tune spring rates and bump stops using spring rubbers. the key point i remember (its been a while) was using a bumpstop that wasn't too firm because it can cause a sudden loss of traction. if the bump is too firm, it can result in a sudden loss of traciton.
the cool part is, these parts aren't expensive and can be easily swapped out for a test 'n tune day.
https://www.resuspension.com/bump-stops.html
      01-15-2024, 08:26 PM   #23490
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
i listened to a "tune your car's handling" podcast by ross bentley and race engineer jeff braun a while back. they touched on dual rate spring rates and how complicated they can be. i don't have much to repeat about that.

they did touch on how easy it can be to tune spring rates and bump stops using spring rubbers. the key point i remember (its been a while) was using a bumpstop that wasn't too firm because it can cause a sudden loss of traction. if the bump is too firm, it can result in a sudden loss of traciton.
the cool part is, these parts aren't expensive and can be easily swapped out for a test 'n tune day.
https://www.resuspension.com/bump-stops.html
Bump stop and bump springs serve the same purpose, with the spring being what I’d prefer to play with. To install they’ll both require you to drop the suspension from the top. Likely need to disconnect the caster lower control to get enough clearance to drop it assuming you’re running non OEM arms. It can definitely be done trackside but it’s not a 5 min change.

Bump rubbers are little devices you insert into the spring to in effect reduce the spring by a full coil thereby increasing the spring rate. Those are easy to install. Can also be a solution to getting non permanent ride height for loading on a trailer.

There are some excellent HPA materials on bump stop / spring tuning. Their 10 min overview is at a bare minimum helpful to orient to concepts.
      01-15-2024, 08:37 PM   #23491
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

i sort of remember it being said you could cut/zip tie the bump stops on to experiment and tune, and then do a proper install once you find something you're happy with.

i'm not at this point yet, i'm just relaying what i've learned about. zero personal experience here.
      01-15-2024, 08:46 PM   #23492
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
i sort of remember it being said you could cut/zip tie the bump stops on to experiment and tune, and then do a proper install once you find something you're happy with.

i'm not at this point yet, i'm just relaying what i've learned about. zero personal experience here.
If you cut a bump stop vertically, to say slip it around the damper and then zip tie it closed. I think it would just collapse and provide no measurable change. Again, I think you’re thinking of rubbers. Or you can add/remove shims to effectively change the engagement point of the bumpstop.

Edit: i see the flat disk style bump stops that you’re likely referring to roastbeef. I take it back!
      01-15-2024, 08:59 PM   #23493
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you cut a bump stop vertically, to say slip it around the damper and then zip tie it closed. I think it would just collapse and provide no measurable change. Again, I think you’re thinking of rubbers. Or you can add/remove shims to effectively change the engagement point of the bumpstop.

Edit: i see the flat disk style bump stops that you’re likely referring to roastbeef. I take it back!
i was thinking about that... the cut bump stops just blowing off the zip ties and the bumps falling off on the first strike. i'm not sure how these things behave, i'm speaking from inexperience.
i did see these bump stop cups. it looks like you install these at the end of the shaft and stuff a bump stop into it. i suppose the walls would prevent it from blowing out. i'm not sure how you'd get it out quickly or without destroying it though... mabe lube it up and install a pull ribbon?
https://www.resuspension.com/bump-st...cup-625-1.html
      01-16-2024, 03:43 PM   #23494
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Bump stop and bump springs serve the same purpose, with the spring being what I’d prefer to play with. To install they’ll both require you to drop the suspension from the top. Likely need to disconnect the caster lower control to get enough clearance to drop it assuming you’re running non OEM arms. It can definitely be done trackside but it’s not a 5 min change.

Bump rubbers are little devices you insert into the spring to in effect reduce the spring by a full coil thereby increasing the spring rate. Those are easy to install. Can also be a solution to getting non permanent ride height for loading on a trailer.

There are some excellent HPA materials on bump stop / spring tuning. Their 10 min overview is at a bare minimum helpful to orient to concepts.
As you know, one of the main differences between them is bump stops have a progressive spring rate vs. a linear rate bump spring. This makes bump stops more forgiving if your suspension travel calculations are off slightly and/or you encounter an unexpected offroad excursion that would result in an over-travel condition. A bump springs stiffness change is abrupt when it hits its block height and results in an abrupt loss of grip.

Bump stops are cheap and bump shims can be easily added/removed to change damper travel (could do this with bump springs, too, but it’s likely there’s no no available length to incorporate them). Bump stop are more compact and much easier to integrate (bump springs are quite long compared to a bump stop). Not saying bump springs don’t have advantages because they do, such as a wider range of available stiffness, stiffness not affect by temperature, length and stiffness remains constant/repeatable with abuse, etc.

For keeping a splitter from bottoming out, I’d choose a bump stop over a bump spring especially if you’re running with a 5” main spring - bump springs are ~+/-4” long so you’ll start using them more frequently and, therefore, alternating your main spring rate. Bump stops will better protect the splitter in unexpected events, running different lines, etc.

Last edited by M3SQRD; 01-17-2024 at 11:53 AM..
Appreciate 3
DRLane3988.50
okusa845.50
M1500Z423.00
      01-16-2024, 05:13 PM   #23495
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

This is a very helpful discussion, but unfortunately way above my tech level. That said, it sounds like it would be better to start with bump stops. I was just concerned about them unsettling the car but, again, that is due to my lack of technical understanding.
      01-16-2024, 06:07 PM   #23496
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
This is a very helpful discussion, but unfortunately way above my tech level. That said, it sounds like it would be better to start with bump stops. I was just concerned about them unsettling the car but, again, that is due to my lack of technical understanding.
Worth a listen: it’s under 10 mins.
https://youtu.be/jXpprCRQzH8?feature=shared
roastbeef11586.00