BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

GetBMWParts

07-05-2018, 09:11 AM   #67
BimmerBoomer
demoted
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Sportback

I had to bite my lip for 18 years Lups...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
I lived there, I know.

The tariffs are abolishing their base. Why not attempt on correcting back to civility while we're at it, it's a good time to do that.
The base will hardly suffer a scratch: if anything they will develop new grievances. And grievance is their core.

Having said that, I chafe at some of the uninformed opinions from Canadians here as much as the Americans do. But I'm well aware of my own naivety too: when I met right wing luminaries like Jack Kemp and Dick Cheney I thought I was shaking hands with the devil. I had no inkling then of the assaults on logic to come!
Appreciate 1
Lups10080.00

07-05-2018, 06:42 PM   #68
TheWatchGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335xi

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/05/merk...r-imports.html

So now Merkel would back eliminating tariffs. Must have realized how much of Germany's economy depends on exporting autos.

Now to see if she can get the rest of the EU to agree.

#judy4prez
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 06:56 PM   #69
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBoomer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1JT2XD

Trump talks of equalizing tariffs- Merkel jumps to "trade war..."
Merkel is the bellicose one? I don't see that selling except among your fellow deplorables.
Remember Trump effectively wants no tariffs on US goods. So the euro opposition has instead opted to consider tariffs of its own rather than remove the tariffs Trump is complaining about.

I'll say it again, the EU wants to double down on tariffs rather than remove them.

Apparently protecting Citreon(sp?) and Renault from foreign competition is a matter of national security for the French.
^ this. I recently realized:

- Trump wants a level playing field on tariffs; that's all he has said, all along.

- Other countries that are screwing the US on trade deals and tariffs, immediately scream "trade war!!!"

- other countries governments are mobbed up with their business, and are vastly more protectionist than the US - cause they are screwing us.

Wtf?