BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-20-2011, 09:30 PM   #1
Cars are the new horse
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016

A few general questions about my new M3 (Shifting RPM, S 4 selection, Auto on/off)

Why won't my car stay in S4 when I turn it off and turn it back on?

Last edited by Cars are the new horse; 02-09-2022 at 11:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 09:42 PM   #2
RayC
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvanayoda View Post
Two weeks ago I bought a new 2011.5 M3 Jerez Black / Black leather / Aluminum Trim (also DCT, idrive, extended leather, EPS, convenience package, prem package, and ZCP). I'm very excited to have it as it's the car I've wanted for a long time, but I have a few questions.

1) All of my previous cars have been automatics with optional gear selection shifting, which is obviously much different than a DCT. I'm driving almost exclusively in S mode -- is waiting until 4,000 rpm to shift during daily driving going to be bad for my engine? Sometimes I'll let the gear hold at 3,500 rpm while I maintain the same speed down the street and wanted to make sure this was ok.

2) Why won't my car stay in S4 when I turn it off and turn it back on? Whatever I previously left D on (whether it be 2, 4, etc) will be the setting whenever I select D again, but S always resets to S3.

3) Much like a thread I read the other day, I hate the auto on/off button. I have no use for it and all it does is take up the panel I was going to use to stealth install my radar detector by forcing me to have that button there as well as 5 other blank buttons. Can I remove and/or relocate that button if I plan on just leaving the auto on/off feature off anyway? I'd rather use that console for my stealth install.
Congrats on the new ride!

1) Should not be a problem. Are you following the break in phase? If so, you should be shifting earlier anyhow.

2) You know, I can't remember if this happens to me. I tend to hit the "M" button almost immediately when I turn on my car.

3) Can't help you there. My car is a 2011 model but I got it before the auto start/stop feature.

Welcome to the forums!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 09:56 PM   #3
RayC
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Thanks! With respect to break-in, I'm following it in that I'm not exceeding 5500 rpm or 106 mph, but I didn't read anything about shifting early. Maybe I've been doing it wrong?

Consider yourself lucky on #3 by the way. Did your car come with the combox? The straight USB plug ability is pretty nice compared to the combined aux/usb solution from my old 2009.
It's fine. I'm no mechanic but I'm sure shifting early isn't a problem. I'm sure you know this, but the big thing to avoid is revving her up when the engine is cold (obviously). I think most people here on the forums (except for those that lease) generally shift before or around 3k RPM when the engine is still cold.

Are you talking about the USB plug in the glove box?

USB/Iphone adapter option was a stand alone option. I decided not to get it mainly because I'm happy with just storing my music on to the iDrive's HD and as general rule of thumb, I don't answer my phone in my car. I piss alot of people off by not answering my phone, but I always tell them that with the way I drive, I need full concentration.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 10:12 PM   #4
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

Quote:
Two weeks ago I bought a new 2011.5 M3 Jerez Black / Black leather / Aluminum Trim (also DCT, idrive, extended leather, EPS, convenience package, prem package, and ZCP). I'm very excited to have it as it's the car I've wanted for a long time, but I have a few questions.

1) All of my previous cars have been automatics with optional gear selection shifting, which is obviously much different than a DCT. I'm driving almost exclusively in S mode -- is waiting until 4,000 rpm to shift during daily driving going to be bad for my engine? Sometimes I'll let the gear hold at 3,500 rpm while I maintain the same speed down the street and wanted to make sure this was ok.

2) Why won't my car stay in S4 when I turn it off and turn it back on? Whatever I previously left D on (whether it be 2, 4, etc) will be the setting whenever I select D again, but S always resets to S3.

3) Much like a thread I read the other day, I hate the auto on/off button. I have no use for it and all it does is take up the panel I was going to use to stealth install my radar detector by forcing me to have that button there as well as 5 other blank buttons. Can I remove and/or relocate that button if I plan on just leaving the auto on/off feature off anyway? I'd rather use that console for my stealth install.

I know I'd probably have more luck with answers to each of these questions with independent threads for each, but I thought I'd just save time and try it all in one. I can try individual threads if this doesn't work out.

Oh, and I should introduce myself. I'm 29, live in Houston, and my previous cars were: 2009 Dinan Stage 3 335i (very fast torquey car), 2006 Infiniti G35, and 2000 Honda Prelude. I had to trade the Dinan Stage 3 in when they wouldn't sell me an extended warranty and I was almost at 40,000 miles. That car was awesome, though -- tons of torque and would knock you back in your seat far more than you would expect. I'm not through the break-in period for the M3, but when I am I'll do a comparison post as I'm probably one of the few people who have driven both. Nice to meet everyone.
Welcome....let's see if I can answer your questions......

1. This is fine....just try to stay under 5500 RPM
2. S3 is the default setting....D will stay where you leave it.
3. Don't know why you couldn't move it....it's just a wire and a button

Hope this helps. Join the Houston crew this weekend..........Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 10:33 PM   #5
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

Quote:
Thanks -- I think that answers all of my questions. I'm still a little uneasy about moving that button for BMW warranty reasons (I don't want them saying I screwed the engine up by moving a button that controls an auto off function), but I suppose you're right.

Any recommendation on who I should use for the stealth install, btw? I was thinking of using Motorwerks Houston, but Driver Source recommended CT Custom Installs.
Not sure about the stealth install....but a lot of guys here have used Driver Source for many things. Their recommendation may be worth a try........Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 07:41 AM   #6
///My5UV
Lurker
Rep
Drives: YMB F80, SS E90

On #3, if you're not going to use the button, I see no reason not to just leave it disconnected. Try it and see what happens.
      04-21-2011, 09:07 AM   #7
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

F80 ///M3 6MT Avus Blue ZCP
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 09:21 AM   #8
540gone
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X3 3.5, '14 640 GC

Have heard good things about Drivers Source but never used them.

Have used Motorwerks for a variety of routine items on three other cars - RS4, X5, & S550 and they have always done flawless work - they are very detail oriented and they seem particularly good at all the electronic gizmo stuff.

BTW, my E90 M3 is being built for ED later this summer, so I look forward to joing the Houston "crowd". Already have misc stuff (air filter, CF hood vent surrounds, black chrome grills, clear reflectors, etc.) sitting in my garage .
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 10:37 AM   #9
dpiette
Private
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2011 E90

Not sure if anyone else does this, but I leave the car in "D" until it warms up to the point where the redline is at 8300.

Then I switch over to "S" and shift manually from there. It is probably just a quirk of mine, but I don't want to push a cold engine, and I don't think I have the self discipline to hold back on my own...
(The three laws of thermodynamics)
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 11:33 AM   #10
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

I'm pretty sure BMW recommends against this. My understanding is that they want you to warm up all components including the (whole) transmission and differential, not just the engine. The best way to do that is to drive the car immediately after firing it (in a relatively gentle way).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpiette View Post
Not sure if anyone else does this, but I leave the car in "D" until it warms up to the point where the redline is at 8300.

Then I switch over to "S" and shift manually from there. It is probably just a quirk of mine, but I don't want to push a cold engine, and I don't think I have the self discipline to hold back on my own...
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 11:47 AM   #11
eluder
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m

I don't think he's saying he doesn't drive it, I think he's saying that he lets the car shift for itself until it's warm, which is no problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 11:52 AM   #12
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

^^ Yep, now that I've read it again, I agree with you. My bad.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 01:16 PM   #13
dpiette
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I'm pretty sure BMW recommends against this. My understanding is that they want you to warm up all components including the (whole) transmission and differential, not just the engine. The best way to do that is to drive the car immediately after firing it (in a relatively gentle way).
Oh, I was not clear.

I _drive_ it in "D" (I don't let it sit) until the temp get to operating temerature. Then I switch to "S".

It takes about 5 miles or so.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 01:17 PM   #14
dpiette
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluder View Post
I don't think he's saying he doesn't drive it, I think he's saying that he lets the car shift for itself until it's warm, which is no problem.
^^^
What he said...
Appreciate 0