BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

05-11-2020, 01:11 PM   #1
Elite47
Private
Rep
Drives: Pending

Any Frozen repaint experience?

Anyone ever have to repaint a bumper/panel in Frozen colors? I'm sure its quite expensive and even difficult to find folks who know how to even do it but want to hear everyones experiences.

What about fixing minor issues like rock chips? I can see how they would stand out more than on normal paint if not done properly.

Trying to see if its worth looking into further.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 01:59 PM   #2
MaximusB
Major
Rep
Drives: 13 Frozen White E92

Not sure about fixing rock chips. I don't see how it can done without making it stand out more. Conventional gloss paint can be wet sanded down and then re-polished to fill in rock chips, but as you know with matte finish, polishing is not an option.

Repainting on the other hand can be done and with a good bodyshop they can match the color no problem. I have a frozen white and when I purchased the car (used) the dealer had to repaint the front bumper and part of the hood. The bodyshop they used was able to get a perfect color match. I later contacted that shop as I wanted repaint the side skirt. They told me the frozen white is actually the alpine white with a matte coat on top of the conventional clear. So basically it is 4 stage process: primer, color coat, clear coat then matte coat. Color matching is done when they spray the color coat, which they adjust to color to match your car. Spraying the matte coat is an one shot deal. Any dust that lands on the surface would mean they have to start over again, since they can't polish it out like conventional clear coat. Anyways, that's what I was told by the shop body who re-sprayed my car that the dealer used before I bought the car. It also helps that the bodyshop is certified by the BMW refinishing program, so they do have more access to BMW paint finishing info.

I guess your best bet is to check with your BMW dealer to see if there are any BMW certified bodyshop near you, then get in touch with one of them.

One other thing I learned dealing with bodyshop over the years is don't negotiate price and don't rush them. Negotiate price/rush them = they'll find ways to cut corner. Just pay what they ask for and let them keep the car for as long as they need. Much easier to deal with them if the end result is less than your expectation.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 04:30 PM   #3
Frozen
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Red e92 ZCP

I know of someone who bought a euro bumper from IND and had them paint it frozen gray and it matched perfectly.
Appreciate 1
IanMan382.50
      05-11-2020, 04:33 PM   #4
IanMan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen View Post
I know of someone who bought a euro bumper from IND and had them paint it frozen gray and it matched perfectly.
IND is flawless. Having them do a color cha get on my next car.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 04:41 PM   #5
Elite47
Private
Rep
Drives: Pending

What kind of cost premium is this type of respray compared to standard gloss paint?
Appreciate 0