BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
 
BPM
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-04-2020, 11:48 AM   #1
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
197
Rep
774
Posts

Drives: '09 E92 M3/'18 F83 M4
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Laurel, MD

iTrader: (1)

5th gear hesitation

Having about the best time you can have while sweating buckets in oppressive heat here at Summit Point. Car is running great except when I'm shifting at redline from 4th to 5th. I'm getting a few seconds of hesitation in 5th gear. Could that be plugs? If plugs, any reason it's only happening in 5th gear on the front straight?

TIA,

SJ
__________________
AA Gen 3 Lvl 2 w/Meth; MagnaFlow catless x-pipe; DB Undertray; Dinan Underdrive Pulley; VAC Coated Bearings; ARP Rod Bolts; Oil Diverter Valve; Dinan Strut Braces; Dinan Rear Toe Links; ECS Rear Trailing Arms; KWv3 Coilovers w/Swift Springs 448F/784R; Vorschlag Camber Plates; AKG 75D MM & 95A TM; CAE Shifter; Titan T-S5; StopTech ST60 380mm/ST40 355mm; MFactory DS; APR Splitter; APR GT250 Rear Wing; Autopower Rollbar; OMP WRC-R Seats
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 12:53 PM   #2
bvrider1
Lieutenant
177
Rep
500
Posts

Drives: e90 m3
Join Date: May 2016
Location: 3rdCoast

iTrader: (1)

ignition coils was my issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 01:33 PM   #3
MisterClutch888
Private First Class
44
Rep
187
Posts

Drives: 2008 M3 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Rain City | HK

iTrader: (1)

See if there are any codes. I had the same hesitation but for most gears when i get one it. if normal smooth driving, it has no problem at all. I had a cylinder 6 misfire code, i cleared it and it hasn't come back yet.

Im going to look into spark plugs first, if still has the hesitation, i think im going to change just the no.6 cylinder ignition coil.
__________________
2008 M3, AW x FR, 6MT coupe.
IG @awxfr92
Slow Build
Appreciate 1
SonnyJack197.00

      07-04-2020, 01:58 PM   #4
bvrider1
Lieutenant
177
Rep
500
Posts

Drives: e90 m3
Join Date: May 2016
Location: 3rdCoast

iTrader: (1)

There were no codes for me. Just hesitation
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 02:01 PM   #5
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
197
Rep
774
Posts

Drives: '09 E92 M3/'18 F83 M4
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Laurel, MD

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterClutch888 View Post
See if there are any codes. I had the same hesitation but for most gears when i get one it. if normal smooth driving, it has no problem at all. I had a cylinder 6 misfire code, i cleared it and it hasn't come back yet.

Im going to look into spark plugs first, if still has the hesitation, i think im going to change just the no.6 cylinder ignition coil.
No misfire or ignition coil codes. I've got a DMTL leak which as I understand it is an emissions issue and might need replacing.

Coils were replaced less than a year ago. Plugs are probably due for replacing. Stupid me did not bring my spark plug socket to the track. Looks like plugs will be an early morning adventure.

Thanks!

SJ
__________________
AA Gen 3 Lvl 2 w/Meth; MagnaFlow catless x-pipe; DB Undertray; Dinan Underdrive Pulley; VAC Coated Bearings; ARP Rod Bolts; Oil Diverter Valve; Dinan Strut Braces; Dinan Rear Toe Links; ECS Rear Trailing Arms; KWv3 Coilovers w/Swift Springs 448F/784R; Vorschlag Camber Plates; AKG 75D MM & 95A TM; CAE Shifter; Titan T-S5; StopTech ST60 380mm/ST40 355mm; MFactory DS; APR Splitter; APR GT250 Rear Wing; Autopower Rollbar; OMP WRC-R Seats
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 02:03 PM   #6
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
197
Rep
774
Posts

Drives: '09 E92 M3/'18 F83 M4
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Laurel, MD

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvrider1 View Post
ignition coils was my issue.
Thanks! Appreciate it!
__________________
AA Gen 3 Lvl 2 w/Meth; MagnaFlow catless x-pipe; DB Undertray; Dinan Underdrive Pulley; VAC Coated Bearings; ARP Rod Bolts; Oil Diverter Valve; Dinan Strut Braces; Dinan Rear Toe Links; ECS Rear Trailing Arms; KWv3 Coilovers w/Swift Springs 448F/784R; Vorschlag Camber Plates; AKG 75D MM & 95A TM; CAE Shifter; Titan T-S5; StopTech ST60 380mm/ST40 355mm; MFactory DS; APR Splitter; APR GT250 Rear Wing; Autopower Rollbar; OMP WRC-R Seats
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 05:28 PM   #7
MisterClutch888
Private First Class
44
Rep
187
Posts

Drives: 2008 M3 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Rain City | HK

iTrader: (1)

speaking of that "increased emission" message, i did have that with the CEL which is cylinder 6 misfire. So is it my spark plugs or ignition coil or DMTL?

But i should start with spark plugs first right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJack View Post
No misfire or ignition coil codes. I've got a DMTL leak which as I understand it is an emissions issue and might need replacing.

Coils were replaced less than a year ago. Plugs are probably due for replacing. Stupid me did not bring my spark plug socket to the track. Looks like plugs will be an early morning adventure.

Thanks!

SJ
__________________
2008 M3, AW x FR, 6MT coupe.
IG @awxfr92
Slow Build
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 06:11 PM   #8
pbonsalb
Major General
2769
Rep
7,284
Posts

Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Concord, NH

iTrader: (3)

Spark plugs are cheaper. Coils are out of stock now except at the dealer so if you can wait a few months you would pay a lot less.
Appreciate 1
SonnyJack197.00

      07-04-2020, 06:26 PM   #9
MisterClutch888
Private First Class
44
Rep
187
Posts

Drives: 2008 M3 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Rain City | HK

iTrader: (1)

YA i will start with spark plugs. I drove it for almost 200km now after i erased the code. So far no code yet but slight hesitation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Spark plugs are cheaper. Coils are out of stock now except at the dealer so if you can wait a few months you would pay a lot less.
__________________
2008 M3, AW x FR, 6MT coupe.
IG @awxfr92
Slow Build
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 01:51 PM   #10
dparm
World's greatest HPDE driver
dparm's Avatar
United_States
2535
Rep
7,643
Posts

Drives: C7 Corvette Grand Sport
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (1)

Do you have any sort of telemetry or data logger? Seems odd that you'd only get the hesitation in 5th gear.
__________________
Now: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport
Past: 2011.5 M3 sedan ZCP
Appreciate 1
SonnyJack197.00

      07-05-2020, 05:44 PM   #11
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
197
Rep
774
Posts

Drives: '09 E92 M3/'18 F83 M4
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Laurel, MD

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Do you have any sort of telemetry or data logger? Seems odd that you'd only get the hesitation in 5th gear.
Mystery solved. My clutch was going and it's completely burnt up now. It let go during my last session this afternoon. Surprised it lasted 11 yrs, the last four of which were supercharged. Calling the shop in the morning.
__________________
AA Gen 3 Lvl 2 w/Meth; MagnaFlow catless x-pipe; DB Undertray; Dinan Underdrive Pulley; VAC Coated Bearings; ARP Rod Bolts; Oil Diverter Valve; Dinan Strut Braces; Dinan Rear Toe Links; ECS Rear Trailing Arms; KWv3 Coilovers w/Swift Springs 448F/784R; Vorschlag Camber Plates; AKG 75D MM & 95A TM; CAE Shifter; Titan T-S5; StopTech ST60 380mm/ST40 355mm; MFactory DS; APR Splitter; APR GT250 Rear Wing; Autopower Rollbar; OMP WRC-R Seats
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 09:05 PM   #12
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
197
Rep
774
Posts

Drives: '09 E92 M3/'18 F83 M4
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Laurel, MD

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Do you have any sort of telemetry or data logger? Seems odd that you'd only get the hesitation in 5th gear.
That's why the clutch never dawned on me but will hopefully know more as soon as I can get the car to the shop. Oh well, it's still in one piece.
__________________
AA Gen 3 Lvl 2 w/Meth; MagnaFlow catless x-pipe; DB Undertray; Dinan Underdrive Pulley; VAC Coated Bearings; ARP Rod Bolts; Oil Diverter Valve; Dinan Strut Braces; Dinan Rear Toe Links; ECS Rear Trailing Arms; KWv3 Coilovers w/Swift Springs 448F/784R; Vorschlag Camber Plates; AKG 75D MM & 95A TM; CAE Shifter; Titan T-S5; StopTech ST60 380mm/ST40 355mm; MFactory DS; APR Splitter; APR GT250 Rear Wing; Autopower Rollbar; OMP WRC-R Seats
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 09:41 PM   #13
bvrider1
Lieutenant
177
Rep
500
Posts

Drives: e90 m3
Join Date: May 2016
Location: 3rdCoast

iTrader: (1)

I love how people come back and explain what the issue is. Thank you and best of luck on the the new clutch. Do you plan on going OEM or Aftermarket?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 05:41 AM   #14
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
197
Rep
774
Posts

Drives: '09 E92 M3/'18 F83 M4
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Laurel, MD

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvrider1 View Post
I love how people come back and explain what the issue is. Thank you and best of luck on the the new clutch. Do you plan on going OEM or Aftermarket?
Since I'm supercharged and it's a track only vehicle I'll probably go with a heavy duty aftermarket one but will discuss with the shop to get the pros/cons of each.
__________________
AA Gen 3 Lvl 2 w/Meth; MagnaFlow catless x-pipe; DB Undertray; Dinan Underdrive Pulley; VAC Coated Bearings; ARP Rod Bolts; Oil Diverter Valve; Dinan Strut Braces; Dinan Rear Toe Links; ECS Rear Trailing Arms; KWv3 Coilovers w/Swift Springs 448F/784R; Vorschlag Camber Plates; AKG 75D MM & 95A TM; CAE Shifter; Titan T-S5; StopTech ST60 380mm/ST40 355mm; MFactory DS; APR Splitter; APR GT250 Rear Wing; Autopower Rollbar; OMP WRC-R Seats
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 04:51 PM   #15
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
197
Rep
774
Posts

Drives: '09 E92 M3/'18 F83 M4
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Laurel, MD

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJack View Post
Having about the best time you can have while sweating buckets in oppressive heat here at Summit Point. Car is running great except when I'm shifting at redline from 4th to 5th. I'm getting a few seconds of hesitation in 5th gear. Could that be plugs? If plugs, any reason it's only happening in 5th gear on the front straight?

TIA,

SJ
Mystery partially solved!

RRT just gave me a ring and their initial thought is that my transmission is toast. Clutch at least appears to be working. With car on lift and in R, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, the car is silent and there is no movement, but in 4th - 6th they say the transmission sounds like a "bag of rocks."

Next trick is to try and find a transmission. Thinking they might have one in the shop from a previous wreak and will let me know. Anyone out there sitting on one or know of one which might be available?

I asked them to plan on doing the clutch while they're at it.
__________________
AA Gen 3 Lvl 2 w/Meth; MagnaFlow catless x-pipe; DB Undertray; Dinan Underdrive Pulley; VAC Coated Bearings; ARP Rod Bolts; Oil Diverter Valve; Dinan Strut Braces; Dinan Rear Toe Links; ECS Rear Trailing Arms; KWv3 Coilovers w/Swift Springs 448F/784R; Vorschlag Camber Plates; AKG 75D MM & 95A TM; CAE Shifter; Titan T-S5; StopTech ST60 380mm/ST40 355mm; MFactory DS; APR Splitter; APR GT250 Rear Wing; Autopower Rollbar; OMP WRC-R Seats
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 05:13 PM   #16
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
SYT_Shadow's Avatar
United_States
5299
Rep
6,937
Posts

Drives: E90M/E92M/F80CS/X5 35/MiniCS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenwich, CT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJack View Post
Mystery partially solved!

RRT just gave me a ring and their initial thought is that my transmission is toast. Clutch at least appears to be working. With car on lift and in R, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, the car is silent and there is no movement, but in 4th - 6th they say the transmission sounds like a "bag of rocks."

Next trick is to try and find a transmission. Thinking they might have one in the shop from a previous wreak and will let me know. Anyone out there sitting on one or know of one which might be available?

I asked them to plan on doing the clutch while they're at it.
I suggest you talk with Dan at Diffsonline and get a better-than-new 6MT

Used trannys are unknown.

Use OEM fluid only on the tranny
Appreciate 1
SonnyJack197.00

      07-20-2020, 07:34 PM   #17
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
197
Rep
774
Posts

Drives: '09 E92 M3/'18 F83 M4
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Laurel, MD

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I suggest you talk with Dan at Diffsonline and get a better-than-new 6MT

Used trannys are unknown.

Use OEM fluid only on the tranny
Thanks!
__________________
AA Gen 3 Lvl 2 w/Meth; MagnaFlow catless x-pipe; DB Undertray; Dinan Underdrive Pulley; VAC Coated Bearings; ARP Rod Bolts; Oil Diverter Valve; Dinan Strut Braces; Dinan Rear Toe Links; ECS Rear Trailing Arms; KWv3 Coilovers w/Swift Springs 448F/784R; Vorschlag Camber Plates; AKG 75D MM & 95A TM; CAE Shifter; Titan T-S5; StopTech ST60 380mm/ST40 355mm; MFactory DS; APR Splitter; APR GT250 Rear Wing; Autopower Rollbar; OMP WRC-R Seats
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow5298.50

      07-21-2020, 12:45 PM   #18
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
197
Rep
774
Posts

Drives: '09 E92 M3/'18 F83 M4
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Laurel, MD

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJack View Post
Thanks!
Ouch!

5 week build time. Say they usually have at least one on the shelf but they've been swamped w/orders. Lucky me.
__________________
AA Gen 3 Lvl 2 w/Meth; MagnaFlow catless x-pipe; DB Undertray; Dinan Underdrive Pulley; VAC Coated Bearings; ARP Rod Bolts; Oil Diverter Valve; Dinan Strut Braces; Dinan Rear Toe Links; ECS Rear Trailing Arms; KWv3 Coilovers w/Swift Springs 448F/784R; Vorschlag Camber Plates; AKG 75D MM & 95A TM; CAE Shifter; Titan T-S5; StopTech ST60 380mm/ST40 355mm; MFactory DS; APR Splitter; APR GT250 Rear Wing; Autopower Rollbar; OMP WRC-R Seats
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 12:58 PM   #19
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
SYT_Shadow's Avatar
United_States
5299
Rep
6,937
Posts

Drives: E90M/E92M/F80CS/X5 35/MiniCS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenwich, CT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJack View Post
Ouch!

5 week build time. Say they usually have at least one on the shelf but they've been swamped w/orders. Lucky me.
5 weeks is a long time... but still better than having another one fail on you
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 01:15 PM   #20
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
197
Rep
774
Posts

Drives: '09 E92 M3/'18 F83 M4
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Laurel, MD

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
5 weeks is a long time... but still better than having another one fail on you
Agreed! I'm in so much trouble.

Just spoke w/RRT and told them to order the 6MT race transmission from Diffsonline. Sorta kinda warned my wife that it would be expensive, but she and I tend to have different definitions of certain words, and I'm pretty sure "expensive" will be one of those words. It feels like 100 degrees outside but it could be downright frigid in my house for the foreseeable future!
__________________
AA Gen 3 Lvl 2 w/Meth; MagnaFlow catless x-pipe; DB Undertray; Dinan Underdrive Pulley; VAC Coated Bearings; ARP Rod Bolts; Oil Diverter Valve; Dinan Strut Braces; Dinan Rear Toe Links; ECS Rear Trailing Arms; KWv3 Coilovers w/Swift Springs 448F/784R; Vorschlag Camber Plates; AKG 75D MM & 95A TM; CAE Shifter; Titan T-S5; StopTech ST60 380mm/ST40 355mm; MFactory DS; APR Splitter; APR GT250 Rear Wing; Autopower Rollbar; OMP WRC-R Seats
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow5298.50

      07-21-2020, 01:17 PM   #21
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
SYT_Shadow's Avatar
United_States
5299
Rep
6,937
Posts

Drives: E90M/E92M/F80CS/X5 35/MiniCS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenwich, CT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJack View Post
Agreed! I'm in so much trouble.

Just spoke w/RRT and told them to order the 6MT race transmission from Diffsonline. Sorta kinda warned my wife that it would be expensive, but she and I tend to have different definitions of certain words, and I'm pretty sure "expensive" will be one of those words. It feels like 100 degrees outside but it could be downright frigid in my house for the foreseeable future!
All in all cars aren't cheap but they're a lot healthier than many other addictions people get into... tell your wife it could be much worse!
Appreciate 1
SonnyJack197.00

      07-21-2020, 01:25 PM   #22
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
582
Rep
1,766
Posts

Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: League City, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJack View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
5 weeks is a long time... but still better than having another one fail on you
Agreed! I'm in so much trouble.

Just spoke w/RRT and told them to order the 6MT race transmission from Diffsonline. Sorta kinda warned my wife that it would be expensive, but she and I tend to have different definitions of certain words, and I'm pretty sure "expensive" will be one of those words. It feels like 100 degrees outside but it could be downright frigid in my house for the foreseeable future!
I am lucky. My E46M3 has a 5 speed swap. I am able to get an eBay tranny for less than $500. I did buy a diffsonline 5 speed for my primary transmission, but my old 5 speed was flawless. It's sitting in storage if I ever need it.
Appreciate 1
SonnyJack197.00

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:24 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST