BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

03-02-2020, 12:31 PM   #925
youbarajs
Private
Singapore
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 sedan, BMW 328i

Anyone who can guide me on how to update the .enc update file on Joyeauto. Today they have sent across a appcore.enc file (just few kb in size), which per them is going to cure the KCAN error. I followed the process given in the video but nothing happens

As per video instruction in chinese language

1. load the appcore.enc onto a usb drive
2. use the otg and connect it to carplay
3. indicator light will blink contineously
4. once contineous blinking stops, update completes
5. remove the harness and plug it back
6. done

I tried both fat32 and ntfs formats but nothing happens. Carplay still stays on and no contineous blinking ( its blinks at normal pace as it generally does)

03-02-2020, 05:44 PM   #926
Fede16
Argentina
Rep
Drives: bmw 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbarajs View Post
I guess I am on the same boat then

1. K-CAN error leads to a number of other errors (all temporary) related to CAS and CIC
2. Errors are random, I am using Combox bluetooth to play music hence did not notice if a longer music number leads to this error.
3. I guess the wire harness from IDrive to CarPlay unit is a culprit, but not sure! I prefer to have only a four pin connector, instead to current 4 pin to 10 pin and 4 pin female branched connector.
4. I also have the DVR and Reverse Cam fitted, the screen flickers a bit when putting car on reverse, only after a couple of trials, it stops flickering.

For me also the postal cost to send it back is huge from where I live, furthermore most of the postal services are suspended for HK due to Corona Virus

No reaponse from the "China Company" side despite of several messages.
Hi
1. According to what I was reading the error is because it produces a short circuit in the car's cambus and renders some modules like the dashboard. Turn off cruise control if it is active. The engine is not going to stop
the BMW’s K-CAN bus wires are shorted (accidently joined together) you will get the
following message on the dash central display:
http://www.loopybunny.co.uk/CarPC/interface.html

2. For me it is an electrical problem
3. The wiring doesn't think it's the problem because I wouldn't turn on the device. he meets the cambus to start
4. I don't have a camera but I realized if I open the flickers sales screen. If I honk the same.
it can be a device mass problem

It would be necessary to connect it to an oscilloscope and see what signals this module is sending to the cambus
I have videos of the mistakes I sent to them.
I'm sorry for my English!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 05:52 PM   #927
Fede16
Argentina
Rep

Quote:
Anyone who can guide me on how to update the .enc update file on Joyeauto. Today they have sent across a appcore.enc file (just few kb in size), which per them is going to cure the KCAN error. I followed the process given in the video but nothing happens

6. done

I tried both fat32 and ntfs formats but nothing happens. Carplay still stays on and no contineous blinking ( its blinks at normal pace as it generally does)

33/5000
I did the same and it didn't work

Name:  WhatsApp Image 2020-01-06 at 19.43.22.jpeg
Views: 1784
Size:  143.5 KB
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 10:27 PM   #928
youbarajs
Private
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fede16 View Post
Hi
1. According to what I was reading the error is because it produces a short circuit in the car's cambus and renders some modules like the dashboard. Turn off cruise control if it is active. The engine is not going to stop
the BMW’s K-CAN bus wires are shorted (accidently joined together) you will get the
following message on the dash central display:
http://www.loopybunny.co.uk/CarPC/interface.html

2. For me it is an electrical problem
3. The wiring doesn't think it's the problem because I wouldn't turn on the device. he meets the cambus to start
4. I don't have a camera but I realized if I open the flickers sales screen. If I honk the same.
it can be a device mass problem

It would be necessary to connect it to an oscilloscope and see what signals this module is sending to the cambus
I have videos of the mistakes I sent to them.
I'm sorry for my English!
Yes, i think this is a mass problem for specific models. It quite hard to understand if the unit itself is at fault or the harness that comes with the unit. So far I have tried

1. Connected the original harness to Idrive - no error at all
2. Connected the carplay harness to Idrive and then Idrive original harness to carplay harness, but I left the Carplay unit disconnected. Nothing works, and there is a red screen. When I scanned the system, there was other errors (like LVDS line fault etc) but KCAN error was not there.
3. When i connect the Carplay, other errors disappears (clear fault code and doesn't come back), but KCAN error pops up immediately.

Not sure but this made me believe that there is a something wrong with the harness.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 10:29 PM   #929
youbarajs
Private
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
33/5000

Attachment 2251464
Looking at the size of the file only I felt that Joyeauto technical team is trying to fool me. I wrote back to them and no revert until now. I guess its a well known problem and they haven't found a solution yer, or it may require a hardware modification.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 11:02 PM   #930
Fede16
Argentina
Rep

Quote:
Looking at the size of the file only I felt that Joyeauto technical team is trying to fool me. I wrote back to them and no revert until now. I guess its a well known problem and they haven't found a solution yer, or it may require a hardware modification.
that file is the one that controls the android MCU that are the inputs and outputs is a lightweight file
the last version that happened to me was this sep262019
better explained
What is the MCU?
MCU stands for Microcontroller Unit- wiki. The MCU acts as the bridge between the hardware on the head unit and the android system. This allows for special interactions between the vehicle and the head unit that would otherwise be impossible through Android. For example, backup camera view can be activated even if the android operating system hasn't finished booting up. However, the nature of the setup inherently includes a major drawback because the MCU is proprietary. This means software relating to the MCU can only be updated by the specific manufacturer / seller of the head unit. Any problems or bugs in the MCU are unlikely to be fixed unless the manufacturer releases an update- i.e. the bluetooth problem. This thread serves to help remedy this issue by consolidating the scarce amount of information available on MCUs and to build on related community efforts.

I think hardware problem or incompatibility with our cic and mcu because maybe it has a newer firmware.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 11:17 PM   #931
Fede16
Argentina
Rep

Quote:
Yes, i think this is a mass problem for specific models. It quite hard to understand if the unit itself is at fault or the harness that comes with the unit. So far I have tried

1. Connected the original harness to Idrive - no error at all
2. Connected the carplay harness to Idrive and then Idrive original harness to carplay harness, but I left the Carplay unit disconnected. Nothing works, and there is a red screen. When I scanned the system, there was other errors (like LVDS line fault etc) but KCAN error was not there.
3. When i connect the Carplay, other errors disappears (clear fault code and doesn't come back), but KCAN error pops up immediately.

Not sure but this made me believe that there is a something wrong with the harness.
1.In my case it is the same. the error is generated by the module

2. This error is fine because the unit that disconnects the video cable (lvds) realizes that after connecting it the system fault is cleared

3. This error has all those who have this module of carplay and it is logical because it is blocking the connection with idrive controller to be able to use the original commands of the car but would continue sending orders to the main cic unit instead of being used with the external module
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 12:19 AM   #932
youbarajs
Private
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
that file is the one that controls the android MCU that are the inputs and outputs is a lightweight file
the last version that happened to me was this sep262019
better explained
What is the MCU?
MCU stands for Microcontroller Unit- wiki. The MCU acts as the bridge between the hardware on the head unit and the android system. This allows for special interactions between the vehicle and the head unit that would otherwise be impossible through Android. For example, backup camera view can be activated even if the android operating system hasn't finished booting up. However, the nature of the setup inherently includes a major drawback because the MCU is proprietary. This means software relating to the MCU can only be updated by the specific manufacturer / seller of the head unit. Any problems or bugs in the MCU are unlikely to be fixed unless the manufacturer releases an update- i.e. the bluetooth problem. This thread serves to help remedy this issue by consolidating the scarce amount of information available on MCUs and to build on related community efforts.

I think hardware problem or incompatibility with our cic and mcu because maybe it has a newer firmware.
Thanks for the explanation.

Last edited by youbarajs; 03-03-2020 at 03:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 02:28 AM   #933
youbarajs
Private
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marone View Post
Hi Guys,

I have 2010 LCI M3 e92 and i'm looking for Car Play functionality / bluetooth audio streaming.

My internals:

0601 TV function
0609 Navi Professional
0620 AUX IN
0644 I]Bluetooth
0676 Sound system HiFi

I don't have combox and dont have Logic7 speakers.

I was reading the thread and now i'm wondering which system is better to install and have less issues?

Joyeauto or KREMERSINO? Both are 370$ so price wise are no difference.

I just saw 5/10 audio quality mark for streaming i assue. Having in mind i've got regular HI-FI stereo system it might be even worse?

I was also wondering if it would be better just to have COMBOX retrofit (i can buy used one for 100$) and forget abour carplay functionality? What do you guys suggest?

Depends on your need

1) If you are Audiophile - Combox retrofit gives you best sound
2) If you need Navigation - go for Carplay
3) If you are need both - go for both of it, minus the turn by turn navigation sound coming out from System

Also any BMW retrofit will make the installation cleaner and more OEM looking as compared to aftermarket Carplay etc.

As I mentioned in my post earlier, there is a noticeable difference in sound quality between my Bluetooth system and AUx Driven Carplay.

My Current setup -

I play music thru Bluetooth using Combox - when system initially changes to carplay after restart, the sound is automatically paused, but if you press the CIC power button, it starts playing again.

I take calls through Combox - call quality is good and no need to fit extra mic

I use carplay to control music and navigation - You can play pause shuffle etc and sound will come thru combox. You can also go to phone menu and control all your contacts etc from there. If you make a call using carplay it automatically uses my combox to make calls etc. Navigation works well but no turn by turn sound. If I need to use turn by turn sound, I switch back to AUX and pause the music.

I don't like SIRI and I don't use it, if you need to use SIRI you will have to fit the MIC

Few other limitations to consider in carplay

1) Cheaper ones are mostly HK/Schnzhen based companies, if everything works well its good else either you will have to learn native mandarin or find a cheaper postal service to send the unit back and ask for refund. They have poor response time, solution they provide doesn't work as expected and requires a great bit of assembling and de-assembling etc.

2) As you can see my earlier posts there are some know issues with some of these units, not everyone is effected but its quite common

Feel free to connect if you need any further input!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 03:57 AM   #934
marone
Rep
Drives: m3 e92 LCI

Quote:
Depends on your need

1) If you are Audiophile - Combox retrofit gives you best sound
2) If you need Navigation - go for Carplay
3) If you are need both - go for both of it, minus the turn by turn navigation sound coming out from System

Also any BMW retrofit will make the installation cleaner and more OEM looking as compared to aftermarket Carplay etc.

As I mentioned in my post earlier, there is a noticeable difference in sound quality between my Bluetooth system and AUx Driven Carplay.

My Current setup -

I play music thru Bluetooth using Combox - when system initially changes to carplay after restart, the sound is automatically paused, but if you press the CIC power button, it starts playing again.

I take calls through Combox - call quality is good and no need to fit extra mic

I use carplay to control music and navigation - You can play pause shuffle etc and sound will come thru combox. You can also go to phone menu and control all your contacts etc from there. If you make a call using carplay it automatically uses my combox to make calls etc. Navigation works well but no turn by turn sound. If I need to use turn by turn sound, I switch back to AUX and pause the music.

I don't like SIRI and I don't use it, if you need to use SIRI you will have to fit the MIC

Few other limitations to consider in carplay

1) Cheaper ones are mostly HK/Schnzhen based companies, if everything works well its good else either you will have to learn native mandarin or find a cheaper postal service to send the unit back and ask for refund. They have poor response time, solution they provide doesn't work as expected and requires a great bit of assembling and de-assembling etc.

2) As you can see my earlier posts there are some know issues with some of these units, not everyone is effected but its quite common

Feel free to connect if you need any further input!
thank you a lot for detailed explanation. I guess i'll go for combox only. I don't really need carplay, it would be great addition to bit old infortaiment system but since it's not working without issues i guess i will wait once everything is solved.

How about replacing screen unit with Android systems? Have you guys consider this?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 05:23 AM   #935
youbarajs
Private
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marone View Post
thank you a lot for detailed explanation. I guess i'll go for combox only. I don't really need carplay, it would be great addition to bit old infortaiment system but since it's not working without issues i guess i will wait once everything is solved.

How about replacing screen unit with Android systems? Have you guys consider this?
If you are after good music go for OEM i.e communication box. You will find good deals on Ebay, I personally bought one from AliExpress at good price and its working like a charm since last 3 years. So look for option all across and buy one which suits you.

You will face similar challenges when you change to non OEM products, errors and compatibility issues. Furthermore the durability of the product is of a big question mark. You will then have to deal with people who will not understand your language and your problem, so its an unnecessary hustle.

I have only two non OEM products on my car - aftermarket DVR system and Carplay, and both were quite a bit of challenge and frustration.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 07:57 AM   #936
marone
Rep
Drives: m3 e92 LCI

Quote:
If you are after good music go for OEM i.e communication box. You will find good deals on Ebay, I personally bought one from AliExpress at good price and its working like a charm since last 3 years. So look for option all across and buy one which suits you.

You will face similar challenges when you change to non OEM products, errors and compatibility issues. Furthermore the durability of the product is of a big question mark. You will then have to deal with people who will not understand your language and your problem, so its an unnecessary hustle.

I have only two non OEM products on my car - aftermarket DVR system and Carplay, and both were quite a bit of challenge and frustration.
many thanks for your detailed explanation and experience with non OEM products. Definitely i want to avoid frustration and challanges with the cars - at least there i want to have everything in order and working when needed

Good luck guys with the carplay device, i'll be following this thread and hopefully someday this add-on works smoothly for all of you.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 03:34 AM   #937
youbarajs
Private
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

6. done

33/5000

Attachment 2251464
They sent me a new file but nothing happening as usual, still its not getting updated.
Attached Images

03-04-2020, 07:26 AM   #938
Fede16
Argentina
Rep

Quote:
They sent me a new file but nothing happening as usual, still its not getting updated.

Could you send me the new version of the mcu?
It is a newer version than I have.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 11:25 AM   #939
youbarajs
Private
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Could you send me the new version of the mcu?
It is a newer version than I have.
Thanks!
Here you go my friend, let me know in case of any problems

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlSJB_-DZJFSrBwI...opgbb?e=iXsohm
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 04:09 PM   #940
Fede16
Argentina
Rep

Quote:

Hi
Tomorrow I install it and I will realize if it continues with the same failures or not.
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 08:57 PM   #941
youbarajs
Private
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Hi
Tomorrow I install it and I will realize if it continues with the same failures or not.
Thank you!
If you can help me how to install, it will be great!
      03-05-2020, 10:08 AM   #942
youbarajs
Private
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hi
Thank you!
If you can help me how to install, it will be great!
Ok, the update finally works. Read thru a lot of other forums and found that

1. Use a USB less than 2GB in size, as it was hard to find a USB of less than 16 gig these days I pulled out a 2GB MMC card from my old sony camera and used a MMC reader.

2. Keep a couple of other files on USB root and not just the update file. I don't know the reason but the MMC had loads of pics, I kept it as is.

3. Drive file format doesnot matter, FAT32, ExFAT or NTFS, I kept mine as FAT32.

Also as the CARPLAY switches even when I unlock the door, I disconnected the power harness on CARPLAY, inserted the MMC reader and plugged the harness back, boom, it took less than 10 secs to update. It started blinking faster and after 10 sec it was steady light.

I will scan the system tomorrow as its almost midnight now, hopefully this MCU update solves the KCAN error problem.
Attached Images

03-05-2020, 06:17 PM   #943
Fede16
Argentina
Rep

Quote:

1. Use a USB less than 2GB in size, as it was hard to find a USB of less than 16 gig these days I pulled out a 2GB MMC card from my old sony camera and used a MMC reader.

2. Keep a couple of other files on USB root and not just the update file. I don't know the reason but the MMC had loads of pics, I kept it as is.

3. Drive file format doesnot matter, FAT32, ExFAT or NTFS, I kept mine as FAT32.

Also as the CARPLAY switches even when I unlock the door, I disconnected the power harness on CARPLAY, inserted the MMC reader and plugged the harness back, boom, it took less than 10 secs to update. It started blinking faster and after 10 sec it was steady light.

I will scan the system tomorrow as its almost midnight now, hopefully this MCU update solves the KCAN error problem.

Hi
I tried that file you gave me.
I will have used it 39 minutes and the board was not reset by lighting up like a Christmas tree.
follow the fliker screen when I open the windows sometimes

I'm going to keep testing even though I don't use that car much
Thanks a lot
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 11:33 PM   #944
youbarajs
Private
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Hi
I tried that file you gave me.
I will have used it 39 minutes and the board was not reset by lighting up like a Christmas tree.
follow the fliker screen when I open the windows sometimes

I'm going to keep testing even though I don't use that car much
Thanks a lot
So I scanned my car today and no change at all. KCAN error still exists and so does the screen flickering. This was just a bogus update as I feared.
      03-11-2020, 04:50 PM   #945
vorkachev
Registered
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera 4S Executive

Quote:

Can you please also share your ISPBOOT.BIN with me. Unfortunately I as the rest cannot login to joyeato site with joyeautotech password. I currently have ISPBOOT datet 09/10/19 and would like to install at least same version which you have
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 08:38 PM   #946
youbarajs
Private
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorkachev View Post
Quote:

Can you please also share your ISPBOOT.BIN with me. Unfortunately I as the rest cannot login to joyeato site with joyeautotech password. I currently have ISPBOOT datet 09/10/19 and would like to install at least same version which you have
Sorry I dont have ISPBOOT.BIN, the only file I have is appcore.enc (same as 1629 MCU given below). Let me know which file to download in Joyeauto site and I can share it with you.
Attached Images

Last edited by youbarajs; 03-11-2020 at 10:26 PM..
Appreciate 0