BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

01-01-2020, 01:59 PM   #11001
fsmtnbiker
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evora S, E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpewpew View Post
I don't know how I'm going to pass sound at Laguna with this setup... I can try and close the valves but I bet it'll still be wild. Do people pass with stock muffler + Evolve x-pipe?
I had no issues passing with a challenge sport x-pipe and stock muffler at 90db at Laguna.

And if you need a stock muffler, mine is collecting dust since I pass with the Akra.
Appreciate 1
kyippee1073.00
      01-01-2020, 09:58 PM   #11002
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
In Nevada, you technically need a special license to tow a trailer with a gross over 10k lbs. You have to get a class B for anything with air brakes or over 26k lbs and this includes motor homes. It’s never enforced out west, but if you get into an accident and you don’t have the right license, you are toast. Not gonna take too much of an injury lawyer to clean up.

Also, never, ever pull into a weigh station unless required by law. I accidentally did pull in once and it was a complete hassle. Technically, you’re towing “in commerce” if you’re towing with a vehicle rated at 10k lbs for gross weight rating. That means any 1-ton truck and maybe now the 3/4 ton trucks. Put “not for hire” on trucks that can be considered “in commerce”. If asked what you’re towing, say “one of my cars”. Don’t say “race car” as they’ll try to say you are a commercial hauler (damn decals) and it gets messy.

Yeah, see shit like this is why I am still very hesitant to buy a truck and tow my car to the track.
      01-02-2020, 03:53 AM   #11003
gmx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Something has always bothered me about this platform, and I'm thinking/typing out loud here...
This is the only car, (double A-Arm/strut regardless) where aftermarket offerings for the front spring rate is NUTS and "imbalanced" vs factory. We're talking a wheel rate that is WTAC levels of aero and soft slicks.

And now, it dawned on me it's probably because of our diff that loves to initially spin the inside unloaded wheel. A stiff opposite corner to this offender resists dynamic load transfer (this is the purpose of a spring), effectively keeping more weight on the inside wheel during yaw.

So I wonder when designed/spec'ing stuff as a package instead of throwing individual components and Picasso'ing it up, we can finally go softer with a proper rear LSD?

Gonna add, F8x finally get closer to OEM ratio spring rates and the front knuckle on those things isn't that different to affect motion ratio (Kingpin angle is slightly higher as an advantage). Maybe, just maybe because they have a much better electronic active diff. Hence, no need for such band-aids.

Last edited by gmx; 01-02-2020 at 04:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 07:02 AM   #11004
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Quote:
In Nevada, you technically need a special license to tow a trailer with a gross over 10k lbs. You have to get a class B for anything with air brakes or over 26k lbs and this includes motor homes. It’s never enforced out west, but if you get into an accident and you don’t have the right license, you are toast. Not gonna take too much of an injury lawyer to clean up.

Also, never, ever pull into a weigh station unless required by law. I accidentally did pull in once and it was a complete hassle. Technically, you’re towing “in commerce” if you’re towing with a vehicle rated at 10k lbs for gross weight rating. That means any 1-ton truck and maybe now the 3/4 ton trucks. Put “not for hire” on trucks that can be considered “in commerce”. If asked what you’re towing, say “one of my cars”. Don’t say “race car” as they’ll try to say you are a commercial hauler (damn decals) and it gets messy.

Yeah, see shit like this is why I am still very hesitant to buy a truck and tow my car to the track.
I don't think this is a real issue. Go to a NASA event and you'll see some pretty large rigs and most drivers are pulling with a regular license. Either way for guys like us bumper pulling a single car you're not gonna be anywhere near CDL territory. The advantages of truck and trailer are tremendous. I have hauled my car from Texas to WGI twice and ever been all over the east coast. I've also hauled my car back from WGI to Louisiana after it spun two bearings. There are drawbacks too like storage.
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4692.50
      01-02-2020, 10:28 AM   #11005
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
I don't think this is a real issue. Go to a NASA event and you'll see some pretty large rigs and most drivers are pulling with a regular license. Either way for guys like us bumper pulling a single car you're not gonna be anywhere near CDL territory. The advantages of truck and trailer are tremendous. I have hauled my car from Texas to WGI twice and ever been all over the east coast. I've also hauled my car back from WGI to Louisiana after it spun two bearings. There are drawbacks too like storage.
Like what ThunderMoose is saying - unless you go with a pretty serious setup you are not getting near CDL territory in Texas. The magic number for combined rating is 26,001 lbs - be under that and you are good without a CDL. Half ton truck with a 24' enclosed trailer should be well below that combined rating. Even my F450 and 28' enclosed trailer combined comes in just a hair below that threshold. Even for rigs above 26k it becomes kind of vague on when a CDL is required. For instance I have a 44' travel trailer that combined with my F450 is rated way over 26k - but that is ok in Texas without a CDL. But like thundermoose said you better be on the right side of the interpretation if in an accident or the lawyers will have a field day. Also if traveling interstate check the laws for your route.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 11:22 AM   #11006
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpewpew View Post
I don't know how I'm going to pass sound at Laguna with this setup... I can try and close the valves but I bet it'll still be wild. Do people pass with stock muffler + Evolve x-pipe?

Get those valves closed!
      01-02-2020, 02:49 PM   #11007
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

-5.8lbs today.
Attached Images

Bartledoo2691.50
      01-02-2020, 03:42 PM   #11008
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmx View Post
Something has always bothered me about this platform, and I'm thinking/typing out loud here...
This is the only car, (double A-Arm/strut regardless) where aftermarket offerings for the front spring rate is NUTS and "imbalanced" vs factory. We're talking a wheel rate that is WTAC levels of aero and soft slicks.

And now, it dawned on me it's probably because of our diff that loves to initially spin the inside unloaded wheel. A stiff opposite corner to this offender resists dynamic load transfer (this is the purpose of a spring), effectively keeping more weight on the inside wheel during yaw.

So I wonder when designed/spec'ing stuff as a package instead of throwing individual components and Picasso'ing it up, we can finally go softer with a proper rear LSD?

Gonna add, F8x finally get closer to OEM ratio spring rates and the front knuckle on those things isn't that different to affect motion ratio (Kingpin angle is slightly higher as an advantage). Maybe, just maybe because they have a much better electronic active diff. Hence, no need for such band-aids.
I don't know... I have an E90 and an F80 and both have the same recommended spring rates from both MCS and Bimmerworld.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 08:32 PM   #11009
gmx
Lieutenant
Rep

The spring rates from KW/Ohlins are far different. Imo BW and MCS just rely on their prior experience. I would not be surprised if they "copy" rates from the others first to market either. Anyway, I shot this question off to the famous diff builder.

Edit: I don't like the idea of taking "Away" grip to balance things but I might stiffen the rear instead depending on how easy it is to get some springs that fit. My only reasoning is everything is solid/spherical in the rear except the upper shock mount (PowerFlex black) and inboard lower camber control arm. I might just get away with it.

Last edited by gmx; 01-02-2020 at 08:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 08:48 PM   #11010
StripclubDJ
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
-5.8lbs today.
Welp

It's downhill from here
Appreciate 2
roastbeef11586.00
Bartledoo2691.50
      01-02-2020, 09:20 PM   #11011
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I already have to listen to diff whine and a little drone, so fuck it- throw some rattles into the mix.
      01-02-2020, 09:48 PM   #11012
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
The spring rates from KW/Ohlins are far different. Imo BW and MCS just rely on their prior experience. I would not be surprised if they "copy" rates from the others first to market either. Anyway, I shot this question off to the famous diff builder.

Edit: I don't like the idea of taking "Away" grip to balance things but I might stiffen the rear instead depending on how easy it is to get some springs that fit. My only reasoning is everything is solid/spherical in the rear except the upper shock mount (PowerFlex black) and inboard lower camber control arm. I might just get away with it.
I think it's the opposite. KW suspensions are generally very stiff compared to other offerings from US based companies. BW raced an E9X M3. So I'll put that knowledge up against KW who churns our suspensions for just about every marque.

I drive behind my friend with a KW comp suspension in an E46 M3...his car is very nervous looking. My TCKline suspension is much softer and more settled. I'll put it up against any KW setup with its "crappy" Koni shocks.

I've never been impressed with KW.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 10:10 PM   #11013
gmx
Lieutenant
Rep

What?

I'm talking about the front/rear spring rate ratios varied by generation.
Does BW race a F80 or not?
What diff did their E9x have? Did they change suspension to suit the package or through OTS parts at it?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 10:58 PM   #11014
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Like what ThunderMoose is saying - unless you go with a pretty serious setup you are not getting near CDL territory in Texas. The magic number for combined rating is 26,001 lbs - be under that and you are good without a CDL. Half ton truck with a 24' enclosed trailer should be well below that combined rating. Even my F450 and 28' enclosed trailer combined comes in just a hair below that threshold. Even for rigs above 26k it becomes kind of vague on when a CDL is required. For instance I have a 44' travel trailer that combined with my F450 is rated way over 26k - but that is ok in Texas without a CDL. But like thundermoose said you better be on the right side of the interpretation if in an accident or the lawyers will have a field day. Also if traveling interstate check the laws for your route.
I’m not talking about a CDL. Spend some time in section 49 of the code of federal regulations 49CFR. If your vehicle is capable of grossing, by itself, 10k lbs, you’re technically “in commerce”.

Stick with a 1/2 ton and 24’ trailer and you’ll be ok. Just know that there are federal laws that make no sense for us when it comes to towing.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2020, 11:59 PM   #11015
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner

Quote:
I’m not talking about a CDL. Spend some time in section 49 of the code of federal regulations 49CFR. If your vehicle is capable of grossing, by itself, 10k lbs, you’re technically “in commerce”.

Stick with a 1/2 ton and 24’ trailer and you’ll be ok. Just know that there are federal laws that make no sense for us when it comes to towing.
Before cars I was into horses. Same rules apply. We at one time had a 12-ft RV/4-horse trailer (30ft+ long total) that we towed with a Ford F-450... definitely well beyond all the limits you noted here. Honestly, unless you're really going far-and-wide across the country often with a tow rig, its not really a big deal and not really heavily enforced even though yes, technically it is law. (California disclaimer, laws out there seem crazy to me and probably more enforced)
The only time I crossed paths with law enforcement in our rig was crossing into Florida and the officer only cared about seeing our animal's vet papers. He sent us back to Alabama over it too cause we had the wrong papers for one horse and had to get them faxed in...

All that said, after towing horses for a number of years in several different rigs of varying sizes with many different trucks, I would probably not use any 1/2 ton truck to tow my car unless it was just on a smaller flat bed. I've actually been shopping for a larger SUV or truck to daily drive and maybe occasionally tow the car to tracks outside a 5-6 hour driving radius. But any trailer larger, heavier, and/or enclosed would need a 3/4 ton with 4WD at a minimum in my book.

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 2
beats225.00
admranger2984.50
      01-03-2020, 07:06 AM   #11016
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Quote:

This is true. Let's not even get into hazmat if you're carrying fuel in a bulk container...like a barrel of race fuel. I'd imagine if you have more than 5 gal of fuel, it would be hard to be covered under the materials of trade exemption.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 1
admranger2984.50
      01-03-2020, 07:08 AM   #11017
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
What?

I'm talking about the front/rear spring rate ratios varied by generation.
Does BW race a F80 or not?
What diff did their E9x have? Did they change suspension to suit the package or through OTS parts at it?
BW raced an E9X and current races the F8X. In between they raced the F30.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 07:45 AM   #11018
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I think I'm going to continue to roll the dice with my 3/4 ton.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 08:01 AM   #11019
gmx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I haven't looked hard but there is nothing about them on http://www.bimmerworldracing.com/cars.html nor
https://www.bimmerworld.com/About-Us/BMW-Project-Cars/

The level of detail is good for the layman/avg Joe looking to buy readily available stuff for a drop or get on BMW Motorsport program.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 08:31 AM   #11020
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I haven't looked hard but there is nothing about them on http://www.bimmerworldracing.com/cars.html nor
https://www.bimmerworld.com/About-Us/BMW-Project-Cars/

The level of detail is good for the layman/avg Joe looking to buy readily available stuff for a drop or get on BMW Motorsport program.
James Clay, owner of BimmerWorld, is pretty accessible for questions and information.

James at BimmerWorld dot com

You could shoot him an email to get his direct feedback. He's helped me a lot with my build.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11482.50
      01-03-2020, 08:35 AM   #11021
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
James Clay, owner of BimmerWorld, is pretty accessible for questions and information.

James at BimmerWorld dot com

You could shoot him an email to get his direct feedback. He's helped me a lot with my build.
+1

They are an awesome group of people
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 11:29 AM   #11022
b4hand
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3

Anyone try one of these yet? Would love some more pictures of it too. https://mfrengineering.com/collectio...front-splitter

Last edited by b4hand; 01-03-2020 at 01:46 PM..
Appreciate 0