BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

04-08-2016, 12:17 AM   #221
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Lol at your brake pads guys!

I have about 3mm left on my fronts and tossed them in the bin in the garage and got some pfc 08.

I might just dig them out and slap them on for Sunday before using the new pads but I'll bring the pfc as well. I got a garage for Sunday so will be able swap if needed. Also I figure braking won't be too bad since we won't see as high of speeds (but slower longer braking so who knows).

Going to bring my bald nt01 just in case but otherwise I will be driving on some Yokohama SDrives

Tire wear shouldn't be too much with rain. I'm hoping it pours and win with a 3min lap
Not going with Yokohama Y720s?
Are those worse? Lol

Actually I got the s drive because they were cheap but had decent reviews.

I'm in garage 2. If you need to work on car do it in the garage.
      04-08-2016, 12:29 AM   #222
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Ricer mods lol
Attached Images

04-08-2016, 12:37 AM   #223
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
Quote:
I got one you can chill inside. Cars are accounted for though. You can show the Asian in yyou and Saran Wrap those front seats lol. I may cover the passenger one. Fuck getting my new recaros jacked up.
Saran Wrap? I never took the initial plastic off bro! That's how Asian I am.
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 12:37 AM   #224
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I got one you can chill inside. Cars are accounted for though. You can show the Asian in yyou and Saran Wrap those front seats lol. I may cover the passenger one. Fuck getting my new recaros jacked up.
Saran Wrap? I never took the initial plastic off bro! That's how Asian I am.
Lol I still have the plastic from delivery so foam and bubble wrap it'll be lol
      04-08-2016, 12:46 AM   #225
redpriest
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Are those worse? Lol

Reviews for the Y720 are pretty positive and fit our driving style in the rain: "Yokohama Y720 Traction Tire has aggressive block design for good off-road grip. Open channel tread is self cleaning in muddy conditions. " Wonder if they come in 275/35-18 sizes...
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 12:49 AM   #226
redpriest
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by okusa View Post
Halo is absolutely illegal for street use.
What about detachable halos?
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 12:57 AM   #227
Kong Sheng Han
Banned
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Something something racecar

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Can't answer all but wouldn't use halo on street. Slider won't allow you enough room to put wheels in, would have to be shoved in your trunk and thru.
Quote:
They're illegal? Racing shop didn't tell me that when I asked about street use. Sparco Ergo could be an option then.

I'm not doing any wheel sliding through trunk. Hell no.

Quote:
You can get VAC floor mounts which extend backwards quit a bit and hence specify left or right side of vehicle.

You could install the driver side on the passenger side so the extension goes forward rather than backward and mount the slider more toward the front. Then you can slide the seat way forwards to get to the rear and slide it back decent enough for others.

This seems like a good option. Do you think safety could be compromised if I were to do this?

I have EAS MS and VAC hardware one on each side. The vac one is better in terms of adjustability and options when fitting shit in. I spent one weekend and then another weekend fiddling with them and the vac one was so much easier to play around with to get everything right.

Yeah, I've been eying the VAC mounts. So much adjustability with them.

Also I have EAS MS side mounts and have to use spacers but a bit too much of it so I'm switching to the Sparco universal side lmount....again because of tons of adjustability. See pic.

I'm probably going to get these ones. Should be enough adjustability for me.

Someone got an ergo on here but I think it was fatter than the average bear so make sure it fits in your car.

I've seen photos of them installed on E46, but I'll make sure they fit before purchase if I go with them.

No such thing as folding race seats? It'll prob collapse in an impact.

My bad. Whatever these things are. Honestly, after thinking about it, I don't think I should get folding seats. Not much different than OE seats, besides more lateral support. Very ugly btw.

Don't know how fast you're going or the chances of actually having impact that you need a halo seat. I understand if you are going 10/10 side by side wheel to wheel racing but for hpde or time attack not sure.

I was anal about safety but also have to measure what the chances are of impact. I like open hot laps so I either pass or let pass or even pit in to create space so didn't think I needed full blown halo seats. Knock on wood.

Like bigjae said. Get your ass planted in the seat, control the car better and more relaxed as a result - less chance of crashing.

Not going fast, but I don't know, I would hate to screw up really bad and be involved in a side collision with a wall or something, hurting my neck.

I had no close calls at my last event and have been doing autocross to practice car control, most recently this past Sunday (I feel a lot more confident detecting grip levels and controlling car during oversteer). Tires have shit grip making it easier to experiment in the parking lot.

Last edited by Kong Sheng Han; 04-08-2016 at 01:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 05:57 AM   #228
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong Sheng Han View Post
•Is it/do you feel safe using HALO seats in public, considering lateral movement of head during some collisions? Disregard the visibility issues because the OMP HALO seat that I like doesn't block side to side view. Sparco Ergo, another option, has removable head restraints or whatever they're called, but I am waiting for my local racing shop to get another in so I can sit in it and see if I like it.
you'll likely get hassled for running a halo on the street. it may or may not effect your peripheral vision, but it will be perceived to be blocking your peripheral, and thats good enough for a stop.

look into a seat with a removable halo. i couldn't tell you what brand, but i've seen them.
      04-08-2016, 05:59 AM   #229
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ricer mods lol
i'm going to get one that simply says, "roastbeef." like i'm some kinda mystery or something.
      04-08-2016, 07:59 AM   #230
nholmes
Track Whore
United_States
Rep
Drives: women wild

I have a Cobra seat that's open halo, it allows you to retain most of your peripheral vision.

I can't comment on the legalities though, I've always thought a seat was fair game.

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 08:05 AM   #231
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

In California, It's unlawful to drive with sunglasses with a side band of 1" or greater because it blocks your peripheral. Don't ask me to recite a law about seats, but I'm sure there is something of the like in the spirit of the law.
      04-08-2016, 09:40 AM   #232
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Are those worse? Lol

Reviews for the Y720 are pretty positive and fit our driving style in the rain: "Yokohama Y720 Traction Tire has aggressive block design for good off-road grip. Open channel tread is self cleaning in muddy conditions. " Wonder if they come in 275/35-18 sizes...
LOL. Good for mud runs?
      04-08-2016, 09:46 AM   #233
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong Sheng Han
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Can't answer all but wouldn't use halo on street. Slider won't allow you enough room to put wheels in, would have to be shoved in your trunk and thru.
Quote:
They're illegal? Racing shop didn't tell me that when I asked about street use. Sparco Ergo could be an option then.

Quote:
You can get VAC floor mounts which extend backwards quit a bit and hence specify left or right side of vehicle.

You could install the driver side on the passenger side so the extension goes forward rather than backward and mount the slider more toward the front. Then you can slide the seat way forwards to get to the rear and slide it back decent enough for others.

This seems like a good option. Do you think safety could be compromised if I were to do this?

I have EAS MS and VAC hardware one on each side. The vac one is better in terms of adjustability and options when fitting shit in. I spent one weekend and then another weekend fiddling with them and the vac one was so much easier to play around with to get everything right.

Yeah, I've been eying the VAC mounts. So much adjustability with them.

Also I have EAS MS side mounts and have to use spacers but a bit too much of it so I'm switching to the Sparco universal side lmount....again because of tons of adjustability. See pic.

I'm probably going to get these ones. Should be enough adjustability for me.

Someone got an ergo on here but I think it was fatter than the average bear so make sure it fits in your car.

I've seen photos of them installed on E46, but I'll make sure they fit before purchase if I go with them.

No such thing as folding race seats? It'll prob collapse in an impact.

My bad. Whatever these things are. Honestly, after thinking about it, I don't think I should get folding seats. Not much different than OE seats, besides more lateral support. Very ugly btw.

Don't know how fast you're going or the chances of actually having impact that you need a halo seat. I understand if you are going 10/10 side by side wheel to wheel racing but for hpde or time attack not sure.

I was anal about safety but also have to measure what the chances are of impact. I like open hot laps so I either pass or let pass or even pit in to create space so didn't think I needed full blown halo seats. Knock on wood.

Like bigjae said. Get your ass planted in the seat, control the car better and more relaxed as a result - less chance of crashing.

Not going fast, but I don't know, I would hate to screw up really bad and be involved in a side collision with a wall or something, hurting my neck.

I had no close calls at my last event and have been doing autocross to practice car control, most recently this past Sunday (I feel a lot more confident detecting grip levels and controlling car during oversteer). Tires have shit grip making it easier to experiment in the parking lot.
Yeah those seats are ugly lol

As far as running vac backwards I don't think there would be a safety issue as they'd still be bolted down securely. The only issue I see is not mounting the harness and seat belt mounts not far back enough but again their parts have so much adjustability that it would work. Other floor mounts are the same length as the stock seat rail so don't see any problem with that.

I can post some pics of both sides of mine if you want more detail
      04-08-2016, 11:11 AM   #234
Kong Sheng Han
Banned
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Something something racecar

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
you'll likely get hassled for running a halo on the street. it may or may not effect your peripheral vision, but it will be perceived to be blocking your peripheral, and thats good enough for a stop.

look into a seat with a removable halo. i couldn't tell you what brand, but i've seen them.
True.
The only removable HALO seat I know of is Sparco Ergo.

Quote:

As far as running vac backwards I don't think there would be a safety issue as they'd still be bolted down securely. The only issue I see is not mounting the harness and seat belt mounts not far back enough but again their parts have so much adjustability that it would work. Other floor mounts are the same length as the stock seat rail so don't see any problem with that.

I've seen the VAC mounts in an E46 in person. I'm not understanding the placement of harness and seatbelt mounts that you speak of. I plan on using Schroth Quick Fits with them since I won't be using a cage.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 11:31 AM   #235
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong Sheng Han
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post

True.
The only removable HALO seat I know of is Sparco Ergo.

Quote:

I've seen the VAC mounts in an E46 in person. I'm not understanding the placement of harness and seatbelt mounts that you speak of. I plan on using Schroth Quick Fits with them since I won't be using a cage.
I'll post pics in a bit
      04-08-2016, 02:24 PM   #236
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nholmes View Post
I have a Cobra seat that's open halo, it allows you to retain most of your peripheral vision.

I can't comment on the legalities though, I've always thought a seat was fair game.

you got instruction for Saturday??
      04-08-2016, 03:01 PM   #237
nholmes
Track Whore
United_States
Rep

Quote:
you got instruction for Saturday??
Why??
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 03:12 PM   #238
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nholmes View Post
Why??
let me ask you.....why?
      04-08-2016, 03:22 PM   #239
nholmes
Track Whore
United_States
Rep

You funny guy.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 03:23 PM   #240
nholmes
Track Whore
United_States
Rep

Also, your town has really bad traffic lol
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 04:10 PM   #241
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong Sheng Han View Post

for the autox, you should just play with throttle/steering/brake inputs. upset the car on purpose and train your reaction vs going for lap time. knock some cones out of the way

dont hit the small plants.
      04-08-2016, 05:23 PM   #242
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Best M related tool I've bought to date.... Race ramps! Going to be doing my own oil changes and it really helped when I was swapping the exhaust back today. Had a sprinkling mist falling to keep me cool as I worked, too.
Attached Images