BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

12-30-2018, 09:21 AM   #89
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzgJ74 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Quote:
There's fk all wrong with those barings 🤷*♂️
Your opinion is not shared with others more knowledgeable and with more experience than you.

Tell us what qualifies you to make such a claim with no proof or logical explanation against well respected people in the field. Why should we believe you?
What your looking at in the pictures, every time someone posts a pic of 'wear', are bearings that have been honed or shaped perfectly by the engine itself. The failure point would be the tags in the joins, they look totally fine. I'm not doing mine at all, I spoke to BMW who said they haven't seen any fails, but that there's a lot of people out there "getting aftermarket barings fitted"
Argh.

Hydrodynamic bearings do not "hone" as they are designed to eliminate all metal to metal contact.

Please do a little bit of research on hydrodynamic bearings before perpetuating inaccurate information.

Regards,

2011 E92 M3 - 6MT, ZCP, ZF LSD, ESS G1, Some other goodies...
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 09:22 AM   #90
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
What your looking at in the pictures, every time someone posts a pic of 'wear', are bearings that have been honed or shaped perfectly by the engine itself. The failure point would be the tags in the joins, they look totally fine. I'm not doing mine at all, I spoke to BMW who said they haven't seen any fails, but that there's a lot of people out there "getting aftermarket barings fitted"
=> https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=786615

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 09:37 AM   #91
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
whatever you're smoking needs to be shared. Nothing you stated is factual. Wait till you wear through that copper layer ( or babbitt layer) and you're steel on steel...
      12-30-2018, 10:48 AM   #92
elvism
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: currently 2011 BMW M3 E90... H

A few weeks ago I emailed 5 different BMW shop foreman and all 5 have never seen a rod bearing issue. They did though see throttle actuator failure. I know this topic has been beaten to death.. Has there been a poll conducted on this site to see how many had actual rod bearing failure vs no failure? I'm talking about specific replacement that we're done due to actual failures and not preventative maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 11:03 AM   #93
TrAcK TRaP
bOrN To DiE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Save the $2500 for hookers..
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2018, 04:07 PM   #94
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvism View Post
A few weeks ago I emailed 5 different BMW shop foreman and all 5 have never seen a rod bearing issue. They did though see throttle actuator failure. I know this topic has been beaten to death.. Has there been a poll conducted on this site to see how many had actual rod bearing failure vs no failure? I'm talking about specific replacement that we're done due to actual failures and not preventative maintenance.
BMW will admit to actuator failures. It might instruct it’s dealers not to discuss rod bearing failures since there is a court case involving those and whether there is a defect that BMW should responsible for. I am not sure you got an honest answer.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 05:30 PM   #95
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Quote:
Exactly. There's cars out there with 140k on them with no bearing issue, that tells me this isn't a design flaw. Ppl are being scammed by YouTube videos. The only time you see uneven/excessive wear on the front baring for example is when someone has been 'modding' again, supercharging 'mods'.
You have absolutely no clue what the hell you are talking about, so you should kindly shut up.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 1
wfdeacon881105.00
      12-30-2018, 05:36 PM   #96
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnerBlueSkies View Post
Mechanic in my area (Bryan College Station TX) laughed and refused to do the service even after reviewing thread. I have 63000 miles on my 08 and post update when I encounter a failure. Wish me luck💪
I would get a new mechanic. Anyone would looks at a rod bearing with the first layer worn through and says that is normal needs to go back to school.

Quote:
As mention before, that is not in any way factual, stop spreading misinformation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Now THAT is fake news and either ignorance or pure lying from the BMW bloke.
The ignorance in this tread is appalling, we should just let the fools argue with themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharbag View Post
Argh.

Hydrodynamic bearings do not "hone" as they are designed to eliminate all metal to metal contact.

Please do a little bit of research on hydrodynamic bearings before perpetuating inaccurate information.

Regards,
They don't deserve your words of wisdom. They probably can't even comprehend it.

Quote:
Oh wow, check this dude out with his emails.
Appreciate 1
NoHedge67.50
      12-30-2018, 05:38 PM   #97
ciges
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 IB SLICKTOP 6MT

Ceramic coated my rod bearings with Liqui Moly CeraTec at 80k for $20,they should be good for another 80k miles,saved $2,480.
      12-30-2018, 05:45 PM   #98
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Waiting for the bearings to fail is a minimum $10K touch. Changing bearings is far less.

BMW screwed up the design. If you understand tolerances and statistics, you would realize that there exists a risk to get a very tight engine that WILL fail prematurely.

Go do some reading. Come back with facts.

Stop propagating bullsh!it.

Happy new year.

2011 E92 M3 - 6MT, ZCP, ZF LSD, ESS G1, Some other goodies...
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 05:47 PM   #99
NoHedge
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 | 991.1 C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciges View Post
Ceramic coated my rod bearings with Liqui Moly CeraTec at 80k for $20,they should be good for another 80k miles,saved $2,480.
Interesting...

Are you talking about this stuff - https://www.amazon.com/Liqui-Moly-20.../dp/B001CZODH8

Any literature on effectiveness? Looking into this

Edit: apparently its chemical properties thin the oil too. would this be a double benefit for those of us running 10w60?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 05:51 PM   #100
ciges
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 IB SLICKTOP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHedge View Post
Interesting...

Are you talking about this stuff - https://www.amazon.com/Liqui-Moly-20.../dp/B001CZODH8

Any literature on effectiveness? Looking into this
That's it,German stuff,there are couple videos on youtube with people testing Liqui Moly CeraTec .One bottle per 6 liters of oil.
      12-30-2018, 06:09 PM   #101
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrAcK TRaP View Post
Save the $2500 for hookers..
Attached Images

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
NoHedge67.50
      12-30-2018, 06:11 PM   #102
elvism
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by InnerBlueSkies View Post
Mechanic in my area (Bryan College Station TX) laughed and refused to do the service even after reviewing thread. I have 63000 miles on my 08 and post update when I encounter a failure. Wish me luck💪
I would get a new mechanic. Anyone would looks at a rod bearing with the first layer worn through and says that is normal needs to go back to school.

Quote:
As mention before, that is not in any way factual, stop spreading misinformation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Now THAT is fake news and either ignorance or pure lying from the BMW bloke.
The ignorance in this tread is appalling, we should just let the fools argue with themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharbag View Post
Argh.

Regards,
They don't deserve your words of wisdom. They probably can't even comprehend it.

Quote:
Oh wow, check this dude out with his emails.
I guess all 5 shop foreman conspired to lie to me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 06:18 PM   #103
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
That's like asking Trump about his taxes.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 06:19 PM   #104
Dr. Dre
the doctor
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Alpine White

Quote:
Dude, are you kidding me. I'm a 20 year District Manager in the automotive industry. You would have to be a jackass service manager to admit to a major issue to some random person who contacts.

Second, any service manager worth his or her salt would never respond to some random person in writing about an issue like this. They would probably get fired if that response ever ended up being used in court against the BMW NA.

If you want to see results of rod bearing failure go to the NHTSA website. However, you'll only see results if someone reports an issue. The issue has to be safety related. Obviously, driving down the highway and having a rod bearing failure is a safety issue due to loss of power or fire due to oil getting on exhaust components.

Based on the "Tread Act" any issue that could cause harm has to be reported. However, at the factory level you try to minimize any written communications regarding an issue due to the fact that it's discoverable. The other thing you try to do is not to cover the repair under warranty because then you're basically admitting that there is an issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 06:31 PM   #105
elvism
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dre View Post
Quote:
Dude, are you kidding me. I'm a 20 year District Manager in the automotive industry. You would have to be a jackass service manager to admit to a major issue to some random person who contacts.

Second, any service manager worth his or her salt would never respond to some random person in writing about an issue like this. They would probably get fired if that response ever ended up being used in court against the BMW NA.

If you want to see results of rod bearing failure go to the NHTSA website. However, you'll only see results if someone reports an issue. The issue has to be safety related. Obviously, driving down the highway and having a rod bearing failure is a safety issue due to loss of power or fire due to oil getting on exhaust components.

Based on the "Tread Act" any issue that could cause harm has to be reported. However, at the factory level you try to minimize any written communications regarding an issue due to the fact that it's discoverable. The other thing you try to do is not to cover the repair under warranty because then you're basically admitting that there is an issue.
I'm just telling everyone what I was told by the shop foremen. I asked if they had any cars come with rod bearing issues and their answers were no. That's all I'm saying.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 06:32 PM   #106
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

Quote:
when will people learn? when has any dealership admitted that an engine can fail prematurely? a local dealer recently experienced its first failure from RBs... do you think they will now tell people?

the way this thread is headed, it'll be locked soon.
      12-30-2018, 06:44 PM   #107
Dr. Dre
the doctor
United_States
Rep

I've posted this before and got flamed. In an odd way by individuals replacing the rod bearings it let's BMW off the hook. If cars were out there failing on the highway or catching on fire NHTSA would force BMW to respond. And no it doesn't matter if the cars are out of warranty.
Appreciate 1
shimmy232350.00
      12-30-2018, 06:52 PM   #108
Dr. Dre
the doctor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm just telling everyone what I was told by the shop foremen. I asked if they had any cars come with rod bearing issues and their answers were no. That's all I'm say.
Interesting that you were able to get the email address for 5 different shop foreman. You called up the dealership as a random person and was able to get emails. Ok.

Any good shop I've ever dealt with the shop foreman never spoke to customers. Their job is shop productivity (making sure the right technician got the appropriate job for their skill level) not spending time responding to emails for random people.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 06:53 PM   #109
Todd0131
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yukon, stumpjumper, m3

I replace my bearings every fourth oil change. Only way to make sure. May be able to stretch it to five this year.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 06:59 PM   #110
Dr. Dre
the doctor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd0131 View Post
I replace my bearings every fourth oil change. Only way to make sure. May be able to stretch it to five this year.
What do they look like after
Appreciate 0