BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

11-09-2012, 08:19 AM   #23
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

I loved my Eisenmann Race black series, however it did drone and for some reason my Eisenmann was much louder than all the rest I ever heard. Been in others cars with Eis Race and they were much more tame sounding. Been thinking of getting another. Syncd, if youre interested in something more tame and are going to sell/trade let me know.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 09:27 AM   #24
sycd
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 [MT]

Garage List
2023 BMW M2 [MT]  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinwolfsclothing View Post
I loved my Eisenmann Race black series, however it did drone and for some reason my Eisenmann was much louder than all the rest I ever heard. Been in others cars with Eis Race and they were much more tame sounding. Been thinking of getting another. Syncd, if youre interested in something more tame and are going to sell/trade let me know.
From what I'm reading mine seems louder than others as well, but I don't have anyone to compare against in person.

Did you reuse the stock connecting pipes or bought eisenmann's? Wondering if it could make a difference.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 09:41 AM   #25
sycd
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2 [MT]  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNate View Post
Sorry to hear your issues. IMO, there are axle-backs that are louder than the Race but don't sound nearly as good. I've certainly not LOST any power, in fact I've hit the gas a couple times since and thank god I had all the nannies on.
I don't think an x-pipe is going to help much but it will change the sound a little.
I only feel a very small dip in the low end, in the top end it seems to pull a bit harder. But that's only my butt dyno. That low end dip seems to be common with the akra as well, and a good tune can fix it it, so I might try that.

The small dip in the low end could be more noticeable the DCT which is not the smoothest at low speed to begin with. I see that you have a manual, and with the manual it might be less noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 09:44 AM   #26
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycd View Post
From what I'm reading mine seems louder than others as well, but I don't have anyone to compare against in person.

Did you reuse the stock connecting pipes or bought eisenmann's? Wondering if it could make a difference.
Depends on what other exhaust pieces you have.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 09:45 AM   #27
sycd
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2 [MT]  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
As I said, IMO the Sport version is perfect. Maybe you can find someone to trade.
Good to know, I might go that route down the road. I think I'll try a few more things with the race before giving up on it. The M3 is not my DD so I can tolerate the loudness while I try to figure this out.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 09:46 AM   #28
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Quote:

I has eisenmann connecting pipes as well. I dont think it would make a difference. Maybe its something with the Black Series...cant think of anything other than that since both of ours seem louder and are Black Series exhausts.
I was completely shocked at how quiet I found the race in another friends car.

Then again now I have a catless resonated x pipe so even with my more mild exhaust (bastuck) it trumps the eisenmann race in volume at any rpm and significantly more so up top..not to mention the power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Depends on what other exhaust pieces you have.
My comparo was axel back vs axel back. Mine was significantly louder than the other eisenmann race I heard. So much so that the eisenmann race in a freind's car sounded very tame.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 12:35 PM   #29
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Porsche Cayman

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycd
Quote:

Interesting point. I personally am using OEM connecting pipes. I wonder...
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 01:07 PM   #30
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Quote:
I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger and remove that exhaust already, it looks so good and sounds so good from the outside.

Would a tune or X-pipe reduce the low end drone? Anyone did this and noticed any change?

Also I seem to be noticing a bit of loss of low end torque at around 1500-2k rpm. Am I imagining things? Is this something a tune like the ESS tune could fix?
An x-pipe will undoubtedly make it worse.

As for the power or torque loss, you are imagining it. An axleback alone will not have a noticeable effect on power detectable via but dyno.

I have had ten different exhaust setups in 14 months and I want to try the Eisenmann Race but I can't stand the ugly canisters.

Quote:

The connecting pipes will make no difference. The only difference between the OEM ones and Eisenmann as far as sound and performance are concerned is that the Eisenmann ones are shiny.
      11-09-2012, 01:42 PM   #31
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
The only difference between the OEM ones and Eisenmann as far as sound and performance are concerned is that the Eisenmann ones are shiny.
Shiny is better!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #32
M3PO
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Shiny is better!
Of course! That's why I qualified the statement with "as far as sound and performance"! No mention of aesthetics!
      11-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #33
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Of course! That's why I qualified the statement with "as far as sound and performance"! No mention of aesthetics!
Shiny ALWAYS = more power!! Exhaust gasses can flow much speedier!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 01:50 PM   #34
M3PO
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Shiny ALWAYS = more power!! Exhaust gasses can flow much speedier!
Eisenmann polishes the INSIDE of their pipes!?!
      11-09-2012, 01:50 PM   #35
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Eisenmann polishes the INSIDE of their pipes!?!
Optional
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 03:59 PM   #36
sycd
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2 [MT]  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
Quote:
An x-pipe will undoubtedly make it worse.

As for the power or torque loss, you are imagining it. An axleback alone will not have a noticeable effect on power detectable via but dyno.

I have had ten different exhaust setups in 14 months and I want to try the Eisenmann Race but I can't stand the ugly canisters.

The connecting pipes will make no difference. The only difference between the OEM ones and Eisenmann as far as sound and performance are concerned is that the Eisenmann ones are shiny.
Yeah maybe my butt dyno needs some calibration , or I might be going more easily on the throttle since the exhaust is so much louder or something like that.

I like the black series canister, it's pretty much invisible. A bit more pricey though.

The connecting pipes are really nice compared to the stock ones which are flattened at some points. They'll improve the flow for sure but whether that would be an audible or performance difference is another question.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 05:14 PM   #37
M3PO
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The connecting pipes are really nice compared to the stock ones which are flattened at some points. They'll improve the flow for sure but whether that would be an audible or performance difference is another question.
The difference in flow will be minimal and therefore the difference in power will be very minimal. The real choke point of the system is the cats.

I really think you would like the Dinan axleback with some test pipes. Power, little to no smell, and good, manageable sound (no drone on the freeway).
      11-09-2012, 05:36 PM   #38
Money2536
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 | 992 GT3 Touring

I've been tossing around the idea of getting an Eisenmann Race. Thanks for posting your thoughts. I really want to buy one, but I haven't had the courage to take the loss on my Vanguard exhaust (which I really like) at the risk of the Race being just too obnoxious and me coming right back to a Vanguard.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 11:06 AM   #39
sycd
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2 [MT]  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money2536 View Post
I've been tossing around the idea of getting an Eisenmann Race. Thanks for posting your thoughts. I really want to buy one, but I haven't had the courage to take the loss on my Vanguard exhaust (which I really like) at the risk of the Race being just too obnoxious and me coming right back to a Vanguard.
I've decided to not give up on the race just yet and keep it on the car for now. If it keeps toning down as it breaks in it might just get to the right volume. Even though it is on the loud side for my taste right now the tone of this exhaust is just amazing. I think I'll give it a few more hundred miles and see how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 11:15 AM   #40
sycd
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2 [MT]  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
Quote:
The difference in flow will be minimal and therefore the difference in power will be very minimal. The real choke point of the system is the cats.

I really think you would like the Dinan axleback with some test pipes. Power, little to no smell, and good, manageable sound (no drone on the freeway).
It was one of the combos I was considering but I didn't dig the look of the Dinan mufflers, and after adding up mufflers + x-pipe + tune it was getting above the budget I had allocated for this exercise. For now I'll give the Eisenmann some more time before switching to something else.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 09:03 PM   #41
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I've decided to not give up on the race just yet and keep it on the car for now. If it keeps toning down as it breaks in it might just get to the right volume. Even though it is on the loud side for my taste right now the tone of this exhaust is just amazing. I think I'll give it a few more hundred miles and see how it goes.
Glad to hear it. Give it a fair shot. I met up with another forum member today (racedoc11) so he could hear mine and he was sold on the spot. Let it break in. Oddly my drone is minimizing by the day. Very strange 'cause mine isn't new. And no, I'm not becoming less sensative.
)
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 11:30 PM   #42
sycd
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M2 [MT]  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
Quote:
Glad to hear it. Give it a fair shot. I met up with another forum member today (racedoc11) so he could hear mine and he was sold on the spot. Let it break in. Oddly my drone is minimizing by the day. Very strange 'cause mine isn't new. And no, I'm not becoming less sensative.
What is your cruising rpm usually with your 6mt? I noticed that above 3k rpm it's nothing but sweet music, but the drone zone between 2-3k is painful. With DCT I caught myself cruising usually in that worst range, so it looks like I'll have to adapt my driving style to stay out of there.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 02:44 AM   #43
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycd
Quote:
What is your cruising rpm usually with your 6mt? I noticed that above 3k rpm it's nothing but sweet music, but the drone zone between 2-3k is painful. With DCT I caught myself cruising usually in that worst range, so it looks like I'll have to adapt my driving style to stay out of there.
I'm generally anywhere within the 2.5k rpm to 3.5k rpm range when cruising. I barely register the drone anymore. All I hear is how this car should sound when it leaves Regensburg.
)
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 03:45 PM   #44
E93Blackhawk
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i M sport

I heard the race was de toned to a lower db level?

I presume this was the de toned version unless its old stock?

Does anyone have any idea when this was changed over. I'm thinking of getting the race but I'm a bit put off by this being quieter. Want that beast note that it had before!
Appreciate 0