BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

08-01-2022, 08:12 PM   #23
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vuu View Post
Tom, I forgot to ask in the PM, but I figured I would here in case others were wondering as well.

I know I can grab the sensors off of FCP, and the velocity stack from you. However, if you aren't running an AWRON (I'm running a P3 with an analog boost sensor), how would we connect to the fitting for the boost readings? I believe the sensor you buy is the fuel pressure to read boost, and it's an electrical fitting. The P3 is just connected from the analog sensor, to a hose to the Y-fitting that's tapped off the BOV on my current set up.
Assuming the P3 has a rubber line for a reading from the pressure sensor (we don't sell P3), you can just plumb a barbed fitting into the stack. We can show you once you come in for your dyno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnjax View Post
It is indeed the same, i get my readings with the same setup as you currently have (branching p3 sensor with a t close to the bov, with a p3 and a maxflow race bov). It may not be perfect but i see 7+ psi of boost at redline which is approximately what is expected of a 625 kit. If you are way below that you can safely assume that where you are reading from is not the problem, unless something else is faulty on the way.
Are you sure you did the sensor calibration correctly ? press left button once, wait for the 'tap.1' message and press left again, egine off ignition on ? Also did you put bst mode to bst.A on the p3 gauge ?
We've had a handful M3s on the dyno that will read low boost, but still make power. No rhyme or reason as to why, as most cars read correctly. Other than tapping the manifold directly, the velocity stack is the easiest and non-obtrusive way to get a true reading.
This little widget on the back of the plenum is flat and square. It is also surprisingly thick aluminum. Very easy to tap in a 1/4" NPT fitting. This should read true pressure under boost. Cost me about $60 for parts, with the NPT tap being $25. I replaced all the vacuum lines and clamps too. JIC. Used good Gates hose.

Tapping the stack seems like it would end in tears unless you were a good machinist.
Attached Images

2011 E92 M3 - 6MT, ZCP, ZF LSD, ESS G1, Some other goodies...
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 11:47 PM   #24
Vuu
Astronaut
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharbag View Post
Quote:
Bumping my old thread.

Still never fixed the issue. Still chasing the leak
Sorry if you said you did, but have you pressure tested the plenum in the car?

I recently moved my P3 to a tap on the back of the plenum. Still testing but it is hard where I live as long, straight roads with no traffic are very rare.

When I boost tested my plenum to 10PSI I found every velocity stack coupler leaked a little.

Boost seems to read ok. I no longer see vacuum but I know I do not have leaks now after fixing everything. I still feel that sometimes it wants to make boost then it doesn't. Very odd. A new shop is supposed to be opening up locally with a dyno, so I will wait to test there some more.

Superchargers should be simple. Only other thing I can think of is a bad BV seat from time to time or belt slip. I have ordered new tensionsers as they are cheap-ish and easy to change. This will rule out belt slip for sure.

It is frustrating but stay with it. When you sort it out, you will be so happy!!
I did do a pressure test but wasn't able to locate any leaks.

I've changed out the BPV to a BOV, and my boost is tapped via EAS velocity stack for my AWRON. I had a P3 and my boost readings were similar between both gauges.

Hopefully I sort it out soon, I still have yet to enjoy full boost.

Leaning towards a blower rebuild for now and see if maybe that has been my issue.
      08-21-2022, 03:49 PM   #25
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:

I've changed out the BPV to a BOV, and my boost is tapped via EAS velocity stack for my AWRON. I had a P3 and my boost readings were similar between both gauges.

Leaning towards a blower rebuild for now and see if maybe that has been my issue.
Any updates on this?

2011 E92 M3 - 6MT, ZCP, ZF LSD, ESS G1, Some other goodies...
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2022, 06:00 PM   #26
Vuu
Astronaut
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Any updates on this?
Sent the blower to Vortech for inspection. Waiting to hear back from results!
Scharbag2617.50
      09-01-2022, 12:01 PM   #27
Vuu
Astronaut
Rep

Quote:
Any updates on this?
Got a report back from Vortech. Blower was all sorts of jacked up.

Loose/improper impeller, bad bearings, etc. Whoever owned the blower before me also bored out some items and replaced them with non-Vortech parts. The confirmed that this was the cause for my boost issue.

Ordered a brand new blower from since they're giving me a trade-in credit. New blower should be here next week.

Lessons learned; just buy a new supercharger kit instead of used.
Scharbag2617.50
Davisca4552207.50