BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

11-12-2016, 07:31 AM   #1
SaNGRia
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI E93 M3 + F85 X5M

CUTOFF Line on ZKW-R

Hello guys, I am retrofitting my headlights and I am about to complete everything. I just want to get your opinion before I am done. I also upgraded to ZKW-R clear lens. And installed 1 washer on each bracket legs. And The new lens not exact fitting to the housing so you have to manually adjust. I did my best. Do you thing it looks straight enough?

Driver
Name:  Driver.JPG
Views: 2465
Size:  68.6 KB

Passenger
Name:  Passenger.JPG
Views: 2277
Size:  97.9 KB
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2016, 05:37 PM   #2
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

it is fixed and moved http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20843286
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2020, 08:01 AM   #3
l2iceman
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Bump, anyone have photos of the output with just a swap of the lens, without spacers?

Sangria, cut off looks pretty sweet. In the photos above, is that with the high beam flap cut off as well?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 10:12 AM   #4
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2iceman View Post
Bump, anyone have photos of the output with just a swap of the lens, without spacers?

Sangria, cut off looks pretty sweet. In the photos above, is that with the high beam flap cut off as well?
Hey buddy, I don't clearly remember if the high beam flap is cut or not in this photo But when it is cut u see the blueish line on the cutt off line.
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 12:19 PM   #5
l2iceman
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaNGRia View Post
Quote:

Hey buddy, I don't clearly remember if the high beam flap is cut or not in this photo But when it is cut u see the blueish line on the cutt off line.
Ah ok! Did you end up using washers and able to install eveyrhtung with the adaptive feature? Or did washers push the projector mount too far?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 08:57 PM   #6
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
Ah ok! Did you end up using washers and able to install eveyrhtung with the adaptive feature? Or did washers push the projector mount too far?
Well I first used 3 washers and that cause adaptive headlight error on idrive.

Then I remove everything back (Terrible) and used only one washer saying that fck the cut off And since then I have no issue but if I would do it again, I would use the factory one instead and don't mess with it.

It looks clear yeah and nice as well, but I am more like a guy who wants all the items functioning properly.

When you do the good quality rings, they come bulky and when you put them around the lenses, first of it pushes the lens cover in and that causes adaptive feature to move limited than what it was from the factory.

Second of putting a even single washer makes it pushed closer to the cover as well.

So everything is working without an issue but still when I drive at night (rarely) First thing what bothers me is, because the rings are so bulky the HID lens cant reach around the rings and that reflects to floor like a cut. And the light right infront of the bumber is showing a cut from the rings.

2nd is when I turn the wheels right to left, adaptive is not as smooth as its used to and if I look at the lenses clearly in a day time, I see the rubbing from the lens cover due to big rings around.
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2020, 08:05 AM   #7
l2iceman
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Well I first used 3 washers and that cause adaptive headlight error on idrive.

Then I remove everything back (Terrible) and used only one washer saying that fck the cut off And since then I have no issue but if I would do it again, I would use the factory one instead and don't mess with it.

It looks clear yeah and nice as well, but I am more like a guy who wants all the items functioning properly.

When you do the good quality rings, they come bulky and when you put them around the lenses, first of it pushes the lens cover in and that causes adaptive feature to move limited than what it was from the factory.

Second of putting a even single washer makes it pushed closer to the cover as well.

So everything is working without an issue but still when I drive at night (rarely) First thing what bothers me is, because the rings are so bulky the HID lens cant reach around the rings and that reflects to floor like a cut. And the light right infront of the bumber is showing a cut from the rings.

2nd is when I turn the wheels right to left, adaptive is not as smooth as its used to and if I look at the lenses clearly in a day time, I see the rubbing from the lens cover due to big rings around.
Ah ok, I see. So if you were to do it again, you wouldn't even swap the clear lens? With it washers it's still better than the oem lens, no?

I ordered rings from Angel Eye Guy (well known in e46 community, unknown in e9x community), which are found, they aewnt thick/bulky like the dtm style rings.

Also,regarding the corner lights, the oem one is that frosted cover, how would u get a nice clean clear look? Can I just remove this and paint reflector black? Or would it look odd without a corner piece?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 03:12 PM   #8
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
Ah ok, I see. So if you were to do it again, you wouldn't even swap the clear lens? With it washers it's still better than the oem lens, no?

I ordered rings from Angel Eye Guy (well known in e46 community, unknown in e9x community), which are found, they aewnt thick/bulky like the dtm style rings.

Also,regarding the corner lights, the oem one is that frosted cover, how would u get a nice clean clear look? Can I just remove this and paint reflector black? Or would it look odd without a corner piece?
Just give it a good cleaning on your old lens. It is great quality and does the job. After couple of months you will not even look at the lens Just keep the oem. But if you are adding the rings it might still cause a little bit of a problem for the adaptive feature.
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2020, 08:13 PM   #9
Andrew
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 / E92 M3

Garage List
2003 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
So I just added ZKW-R lens on my E92 projector and I did not use any washers or spacers. Just simply replaced the lens. Also want to mention I installed the 120 LED angel eyes from Angel Eye Guy. Super nice dude.

After firing up the lights, I noticed a yellow spot above the cutoff line. Car was maybe about 25ft away from the wall. I'm wondering if it's because I bent my foreground limiter instead of cutting it. Or is it just the nature of the ZKW-R?

I just got this installed so I need to wait until night time to take some pictures. I'll follow up.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 08:40 PM   #10
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
So I just added ZKW-R lens on my E92 projector and I did not use any washers or spacers. Just simply replaced the lens. Also want to mention I installed the 120 LED angel eyes from Angel Eye Guy. Super nice dude.

After firing up the lights, I noticed a yellow spot above the cutoff line. Car was maybe about 25ft away from the wall. I'm wondering if it's because I bent my foreground limiter instead of cutting it. Or is it just the nature of the ZKW-R?

I just got this installed so I need to wait until night time to take some pictures. I'll follow up.
Before cut off high beam metal bracket removal :

After :

I used 6k OSRAM xenon light bulbs as well. Found the pics from 2016 for you..
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 2
      05-11-2020, 12:54 AM   #11
Andrew
Rep

Garage List
2003 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Before cut off high beam metal bracket removal :

After :

I used 6k OSRAM xenon light bulbs as well. Found the pics from 2016 for you..
So just to be clear, to achieve the look you posted above with the sharp and blue cutoff, you just added one washer to all 4 mounting points?

Also, any other mods?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 01:15 AM   #12
dozaiya
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2011 MW E92 M3

Quote:
So just to be clear, to achieve the look you posted above with the sharp and blue cutoff, you just added one washer to all 4 mounting points?

Also, any other mods?
i believe the difference was from the cutoff shield as indicated in this post - https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=35
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 01:55 AM   #13
Andrew
Rep

Garage List
2003 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozaiya View Post
i believe the difference was from the cutoff shield as indicated in this post - https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=35
I did that. I bent mine down. No washers. Result = yellow above cutoff.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 11:31 AM   #14
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
I did that. I bent mine down. No washers. Result = yellow above cutoff.
The bluish cutt off line not related to washers but shield. And also if you do not have 6k xenon bulb you will not get that blueish line and the oem bulbs are I think 4300k
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 11:54 AM   #15
Andrew
Rep

Garage List
2003 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
The bluish cutt off line not related to washers but shield. And also if you do not have 6k xenon bulb you will not get that blueish line and the oem bulbs are I think 4300k
I just bent down my secondary shield or "RV" tab. Is that enough or do I need to actually cut it?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 02:04 PM   #16
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

I removed completely.
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 12:15 AM   #17
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Not an easy fit, but the results are coming together. Osram CBB bottom Vs Phillips top Xtreme vision.

A lot of grinding to keep optic visibility at 75-100 ft with a clean cut off.

Ended up building a bench power supply to run power for tuning. Both projector bowls exhibited blue hot spots so I replaced with buying damaged headlights from salvage yards, two out of the five I pulled were in good shape.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bubbles; 09-13-2020 at 12:24 AM..
Appreciate 1
SaNGRia984.50
      09-13-2020, 07:43 PM   #18
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

That's how left mine in 2016

Name:  20161112_164505.jpg
Views: 1916
Size:  237.1 KB

Name:  20161104_234831.jpg
Views: 1949
Size:  246.8 KB
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 09:53 PM   #19
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
That's how left mine in 2016

Attachment 2412830

Attachment 2412834

It looks like your lens is seated a bit differently than mine. Here is a pic of the grinding I had to do to have it seated nearly flush with the bracket. With this, no washers were required and it eliminated the light bleed above the cutoff. I did go through two chipped lens before I figured it out.

I’m debating whether to get rid of the cornering lamp and to go dual projectors.
Attached Images

09-13-2020, 10:04 PM   #20
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
It looks like your lens is seated a bit differently than mine. Here is a pic of the grinding I had to do to have it seated nearly flush with the bracket. With this, no washers were required and it eliminated the light bleed above the cutoff. I did go through two chipped lens before I figured it out.

I’m debating whether to get rid of the cornering lamp and to go dual projectors.
Nice, it has been almost 5 years since i have done, because of that i am about to get full carbon set from my buddy bavgruppe to redone the headlights for fresh look. My lenses are in brandnew shape due to low mileage and laminx clear protectors, so what i found out is BavGruppe actually now providing a lens made for e9x . ZKWR s made for e46 which i am running currently.

I will remove the single washers i have installed on each leg and will use this . This should solve the problem as well.
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2020, 10:26 PM   #21
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Nice, it has been almost 5 years since i have done, because of that i am about to get full carbon set from my buddy bavgruppe to redone the headlights for fresh look. My lenses are in brandnew shape due to low mileage and laminx clear protectors, so what i found out is BavGruppe actually now providing a lens made for e9x . ZKWR s made for e46 which i am running currently.

I will remove the single washers i have installed on each leg and will use this . This should solve the problem as well.
Interesting on the lens, the lens you linked has a 28mm focus height and a 75 diameter vs 24mm focus height and 74mm for the zkw r lens. The lens spec seem too big. The “e46” bowl design is used for several cars (e46 BMW’s, VW jettas, c class Mercs, audis, caddy dts xts, Cherokees, dodge darts and some range roversEtc.). The “E46” projector dimensions are nearly identical across the board. Are you running Hellas projector bowls?Hella projectors were used in X5 and the bowl is different and larger.

I’d be curious how that lens performs, even more curious how they fit that in the e46 cradle.
      09-13-2020, 10:44 PM   #22
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
Interesting on the lens, the lens you linked has a 28mm focus height and a 75 diameter vs 24mm focus height and 74mm for the zkw r lens. The lens spec seem too big. The “e46” bowl design is used for several cars (e46 BMW’s, VW jettas, c class Mercs, audis, caddy dts xts, Cherokees, dodge darts and some range roversEtc.). The “E46” projector dimensions are nearly identical across the board. Are you running Hellas projector bowls?Hella projectors were used in X5 and the bowl is different and larger.

I’d be curious how that lens performs, even more curious how they fit that in the e46 cradle.
I am not sure, but yeah those numbers seems little off. I have been told this will be 1:1 swap from e9x lenses.
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 1