BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-09-2017, 11:07 PM   #507
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by opihi5 View Post
Exactly....

Not sure why people hate on this kit without having experience with it. It is far more than you need for the street and as you(and I) have shown, it handles track use well. A "real" bbk runs about 1/6 the price of this car and doesn't make sense for many people.
By far the best brake upgrade for the hard street/occasional track driver.
its not so much the kit. what is annoying to me is the variances between kits from the same company for the same car. for example, different forum members showing pretty big differences in pad sweep. the pads not being centered on the rotors, and the pistons not being centered on the pads.
i've been following this thread for a while now, it is simply my observation and opinion, but $1,800 is expensive for this kit with the traits i mentioned above without rotors. refurbished calipers at that.

and all this is aside from other frustrations i have read from other members on this board.
      09-09-2017, 11:31 PM   #508
dj_dub
IG: @dj_dub
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E90 M3 - SG/FR 6MT

Garage List
^But that's just it dude, you know nothing of these brakes but what you're read in this thread/forum...zero personal experience with them. Yet you continue to post here talking sh*t about the kit or Albert.

If you have no interest in buying this kit, why are you wasting your time in here...what's your goal? To prevent other people from buying it?
CarboProject CF Plenum | Dinan CF Intake | ESS Tune | RKP X-Pipe | Akra w/CF Tips | MFactory CF DS | CSF Cooling | AST 5200 | Hotchkis F/R Sways | SPL/Ground Control/Fall-Line Arms | DEFIV Diff Brace | StudioRSR Rollcage | 3-piece BBS RT88 | Michelin PS4S | Brembos F/R | Recaro Profi SPG XL | CAE Ultra Shifter | Perf Elec Wheel V2 | BAVSOUND | GT4 CF Front Lip/Canards/Rear Wing | Arkym CF Rear Diffuser | Forcewerkz CF SS | Varis CF Lower Tray | Turner Skidplate | BayOptiks Headlights
Appreciate 1
FMLYSDN1181.50
      09-09-2017, 11:41 PM   #509
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

informing the community.
      09-09-2017, 11:53 PM   #510
dj_dub
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
informing the community.
Great...I'll continue to do the same, except my information is based on personal experience not just my opinion from what I've read. Peace.
CarboProject CF Plenum | Dinan CF Intake | ESS Tune | RKP X-Pipe | Akra w/CF Tips | MFactory CF DS | CSF Cooling | AST 5200 | Hotchkis F/R Sways | SPL/Ground Control/Fall-Line Arms | DEFIV Diff Brace | StudioRSR Rollcage | 3-piece BBS RT88 | Michelin PS4S | Brembos F/R | Recaro Profi SPG XL | CAE Ultra Shifter | Perf Elec Wheel V2 | BAVSOUND | GT4 CF Front Lip/Canards/Rear Wing | Arkym CF Rear Diffuser | Forcewerkz CF SS | Varis CF Lower Tray | Turner Skidplate | BayOptiks Headlights
Appreciate 5
FMLYSDN1181.50
opihi5214.50
EMC22.50
      09-10-2017, 05:37 AM   #511
r0cketm0nkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_dub View Post
Great...I'll continue to do the same, except my information is based on personal experience not just my opinion from what I've read. Peace.
Quote:
informing the community.
Relax guys, both are right. The initial problems were well documented, and experience with them is obviously YMMV.

For some of us, we would rather not go through the trouble of, um, troubleshooting them again and again (not that we don't appreciate the brave souls trying new stuff). I've been down that road before, and while I had the time to stare at a new pair of brake calipers and wonder for hours why it's constantly leaking brake fluid (true story) a long time ago, I do not have the luxury now. It does sound like it's ready for relatively hassle-free consumption, and Albert sounds like someone that takes care of the customers. Again, if it can survive multiple beatings by a track bro, it can probably survive my weekend cruises.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 06:06 AM   #512
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: Garage is to big to list.

I wouldnt hestitate to run, these.

Im still running the rev1 rear calipers because ive been to lazy to change them with no issues

The unswept area on the rev 1 was greatly exagerated and blown out of proportion

I have the v2 calipers sitting on the shelf and will eventually get around to fitting them

Im glad albert addressed it but from a performance standpoint it made no difference that i could notice.

From a visual standpoint nothing comes even close

Ive done two shows now with my car and it always pulls a small crowd and the first thing they notice is the brakes

They just have the wow factor and performance to match

If i had the chance to do it all over again I would do the exact same thing

I always said if you can lock your wheels up there is no need to upgrade and these easily lock all four wheels with no issues so why spend mega dollars on far more expensive gear when these will do the exact same thing at a fraction of the cost

If someone wants to blow their money on overpriced lumps of alloy at triple the price go for it but informing the community of a problem that has been addressed and fixed is unecessary because they can read cant they all the info is here and unedited
Appreciate 1
leeb828.00
      09-10-2017, 07:50 AM   #513
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

what i write is part opinion and part fact. my feelings toward the company and how much they charge is opinion.
i don't need to own the kit to see it isn't ideal, just like i don't need to own a miata to know it doesn't have much power. if it works for some, great. there is enough confusion and information in this thread to illustrate some of my points. post #498 was just one of them. no info on their website regarding which pads to use. "they came out of a cayenne." good luck figuring out which generation and where to grind. its irritating.
      09-10-2017, 08:00 AM   #514
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

If you want the part numbers of the pads just ask and its easily looked up on the hawk website.

They have pictures and measurements, it really isn't that hard so I don't know why you getting irritated.

The front are basic audi r8 2011

Rear are hb664b.634 from hawk

http://www.hawkperformance.com/perfo...pads/hb664b634
Attached Images

Last edited by martymil; 09-10-2017 at 08:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 10:12 AM   #515
FMLYSDN
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Frozen Grey E90 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymil View Post
If you want the part numbers of the pads just ask and its easily looked up on the hawk website.

They have pictures and measurements, it really isn't that hard so I don't know why you getting irritated.

The front are basic audi r8 2011

Rear are hb664b.634 from hawk

http://www.hawkperformance.com/perfo...pads/hb664b634
Your first picture shows a modification to the inside corner of the pad. Is this a symptom of the V1 rear calipers?

I don't recall that being necessary to the V2.

I only modified the hole at the back of the pad for the guide pin.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 04:19 PM   #516
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

This is the v2 caliper modification for the rear pad
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 07:06 PM   #517
FMLYSDN
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Frozen Grey E90 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Hmmm. Odd. I never had to do that to any of my pads.

What is the purpose of that particular modification?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 07:24 PM   #518
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLYSDN View Post
Your first picture shows a modification to the inside corner of the pad. Is this a symptom of the V1 rear calipers?

I don't recall that being necessary to the V2.

I only modified the hole at the back of the pad for the guide pin.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLYSDN View Post
Hmmm. Odd. I never had to do that to any of my pads.

What is the purpose of that particular modification?
thanks for illustrating one of my points guys.
      09-10-2017, 07:29 PM   #519
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I wouldnt hestitate to run, these.

Im still running the rev1 rear calipers because ive been to lazy to change them with no issues

The unswept area on the rev 1 was greatly exagerated and blown out of proportion

I have the v2 calipers sitting on the shelf and will eventually get around to fitting them

Im glad albert addressed it but from a performance standpoint it made no difference that i could notice.

From a visual standpoint nothing comes even close

Ive done two shows now with my car and it always pulls a small crowd and the first thing they notice is the brakes

They just have the wow factor and performance to match

If i had the chance to do it all over again I would do the exact same thing

I always said if you can lock your wheels up there is no need to upgrade and these easily lock all four wheels with no issues so why spend mega dollars on far more expensive gear when these will do the exact same thing at a fraction of the cost

If someone wants to blow their money on overpriced lumps of alloy at triple the price go for it but informing the community of a problem that has been addressed and fixed is unecessary because they can read cant they all the info is here and unedited
you're in a different situation, so i can understand your position. you want brakes that look great for shows, plus with larger taxes/etc., other kits become even more expensive. your stance on this product makes sense for someone who will never see a track.
      09-12-2017, 02:00 PM   #520
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

Quote:
you're in a different situation, so i can understand your position. you want brakes that look great for shows, plus with larger taxes/etc., other kits become even more expensive. your stance on this product makes sense for someone who will never see a track.
My cars sees the track a couple of times a year and drags for testing purposes at least 10 or so.

This kit makes sense as the brembo kit from brembo runs at 14k plus in Australia, maybe 12k since the dollar got a bit stronger

To the other question the purpose of the modification to the pad is to make it sit lower and center the pad on the rotor
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 03:28 PM   #521
dj_dub
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
your stance on this product makes sense for someone who will never see a track.
Yet another assumption which I beg to differ. This makes perfect sense for someone who sees the track...especially when it comes to pad swaps making them way easier and less time consuming. The rear pad modification is a one time thing done for the life of the pads. I also feel I've proven these to work great on the track with the multiple trackdays I've used this kit with. I'm no beginner "track bro" and run in the high intermediate class for tracks I'm familiar with. My lap times have improved with these brakes over the stock setup...that is a fact.

Sorry man, but what do you think you're informing the community of by the posts you make in this thread? All you're doing is adding to the confusion as everything you stated is still posted in this thread for everyone to read. Your posts add no value.

In the end, people will choose to believe who they want...and since you used an analogy - Who would an employer choose to hire: someone with 2 degrees with little to no experience, or someone with less education but has over 10 years experience? I think the choice is pretty obvious. I'm done with this.
Appreciate 3
b4hand661.00
FMLYSDN1181.50
      09-12-2017, 09:10 PM   #522
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

dj_dub i appreciate you being able to debate this with me while remaining civil. one day, we'll meet at the track and be pals. i dig your car and what you have done with it.

i'm not saying this kit isn't an improvement. it is just my opinion that it isn't a good value, and it is definitely not an end-all solution. it is a fact that the oem rotors are the weakest link in the oem braking system, and for $1,800 usd, this kit does not address that. this is aside from ideal fitiment issues. there are a ton of very fast guys that get away with using the oem calipers/rotors. usually, they are ok with having to manage fade, and do less hot laps.
here is what i'm doing- prompting discussion of issues and critiquing flaws. this is going to do a few things. the company will have to find a better solution, and the potential consumer will educate themselves further. if they still chose to buy this kit, great. that is their choice and they know what they are getting into.
for example, like marty's rear brakes. if someone doesn't point out that a pad that hits about 70% of the rotor is bullshit, who is going to do it? they probably came out with the second version because someone got their first version and said, "hey, what the hell?"
b4hand661.00
kyippee1073.00
      09-19-2017, 04:25 PM   #523
albertracing
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi S2

OMG I did not get the notification that the topic has progressed so much.

1. There is only one front version of the kit. The design did not change from the start.
2. First 4 customers of our rear kit got ver1. The pad coverage of the disc was smaller.
3. Two of the above got ver2 of the rear.
4. All of our rear kits are ver2 now.
5. All pads of the ver2 rear have to be bit modified. It can be done withing 5-15 minutes in a workshop. This info is on our website. We are doing the modification for the customer on the first set they get from us.
6. We operate on CNC machinery so all kits are the same +/- 0,05 mm.
7. Some differences maybe from the pads people use later on. We see that manufactures operate within +/- 1 mm differences. So far we have came on to differences on: Hawk, Ferodo, Mintex, PFC.

8. If you don't like it, don't buy it. But as 3 of my customers above wrote, they are happy with what they have and it does what it was designed to do. Brakes brake really good.

We try to offer best possible for reasonable amount of money. So far over 50 people are happy with what they have put on their BMW M3 E9x and 1M cars.

Just first two e-mails from my European customers:

"Just tell you that the brakes are perfect - tested for 2500 km , included 18 laps at Nurburgring and 32 laps at SPA in Belgium."

"the brake is amazing. very stable, nice pressure and on point even after a lot of laps on bilster berg or nordschleife.
i' m running pagid rs29 yellow in front.
i did 125 laps nordschleife (nearly all under 8 BTG) and a whole bilster berg trackday.
now i need new pads.
best performing brake for the money!"
Appreciate 3
FMLYSDN1181.50
martymil388.50
      09-19-2017, 05:08 PM   #524
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP

This kit is appealing to me as a consumer for a couple reasons:

1. price point
2. ease of service using stock rotors and off the shelf Hawk pads
3. they will look great behind my BBS wheels

But I am also a DIY guy, so I am not afraid of slight modification. Also, in the E30 world that I am coming from, BBK have to be shimmed with washers at the caliper to hub mounting point... I have a feeling some people here would have a shit fit if they had to put washers to shim caliper into centering on the rotor....

I haven't purchased this kit yet, but its on my long list of desired mods.
Appreciate 3
FMLYSDN1181.50
martymil388.50
      09-23-2017, 08:16 PM   #525
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

Quote:
dj_dub i appreciate you being able to debate this with me while remaining civil. one day, we'll meet at the track and be pals. i dig your car and what you have done with it.

i'm not saying this kit isn't an improvement. it is just my opinion that it isn't a good value, and it is definitely not an end-all solution. it is a fact that the oem rotors are the weakest link in the oem braking system, and for $1,800 usd, this kit does not address that. this is aside from ideal fitiment issues. there are a ton of very fast guys that get away with using the oem calipers/rotors. usually, they are ok with having to manage fade, and do less hot laps.
here is what i'm doing- prompting discussion of issues and critiquing flaws. this is going to do a few things. the company will have to find a better solution, and the potential consumer will educate themselves further. if they still chose to buy this kit, great. that is their choice and they know what they are getting into.
for example, like marty's rear brakes. if someone doesn't point out that a pad that hits about 70% of the rotor is bullshit, who is going to do it? they probably came out with the second version because someone got their first version and said, "hey, what the hell?"
This kit address the weak link in the factory system, you can use any aftermarket oem replacement rotor and pad combo you like.

Nothing wrong with rev 1 kit at all except for looks, I have v1 and v2 and it makes no difference in stopping power at all but Albert doesn't make the v1 kit so I don't understand why you keep going on about it except to try and rubbish the kit.

Albert told me straight up about the unswept area and offered me the v2's as soon as they became available

There is no need to critique any flaws because there is none.

The only kit available is the one he sells which is perfect for track/street use at a fraction of what Brembo would/does charge

Is there cheaper alternatives, possibly. Start a new thread and make a list

But this kit does exactly what it was intended to do,

1 Fit oem rotors or any aftermarket oem replacement rotor
2 Run any brake pad you wish, huge range to choose from with this setup
3 Fit under a factory wheel or any 18" race wheel

Cant say the same thing about the aftermarket kits.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 08:34 PM   #526
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There is no need to critique any flaws because there is none.
this makes it obvious that you have your eyes shut tight and your hands over your ears. enjoy your brakes.
      09-23-2017, 08:42 PM   #527
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep

Same can be said for you, hands over your ears yelling nananana like a kid

And we have to listen to you, someone that thinks he knows something except rubbishing dribble.

Go and buy what ever kit you like no one is telling you to buy it, there is plenty more expensive alternatives for you to blow your money on and you don't have to inform anyone on anything, everything is documented here right from the start.

I'm sure most people on here can read and make up their own minds

Last edited by martymil; 09-23-2017 at 08:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 09:01 PM   #528
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

except i'm citing facts. the rotors are the weakest link in the oem braking system. this is not debatable. stating there are no flaws in this system is asinine.

i already have a performance brake kit, and i specifically didn't mention it because i'm not on a sales pitch.