BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

01-17-2013, 07:27 PM   #89
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aro1 View Post
I think they should finally invest in a dual clutch tranny. I think it would help their sales and offer amazing performance, esp. with this new model. Same applies to the Viper.
its in the works
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 07:35 PM   #90
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep

Same pic as the grey one I posted but redone in a metallic black
[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 08:40 PM   #91
flanast
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulb
God this is gorgeous. I have NEVER wanted a vette before. But holy shit, they NAILED it this time. I don't care that it borrows (some may read as steal) from other designs. It all comes together in a gorgeous way. Don't like the look of the vents? Black seems to hide them well. But damn that blue......THAT BLUE.
So much want.
Ooooooh ya, blue looks great !!!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 10:17 PM   #92
AxisMagi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 Lemans Blue

Their approach to engine efficiency is interesting using active management
to shut off 4 cylinders when not needed instead of turbos.
26mpg hwy, eat your cake and have it too!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 06:49 AM   #93
conradb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 (ZCP/DCT/ZCV)

I watched /Drive channel on YouTube with their interview with the Chevy rep at the show. As he says it, the C7 with the sports pack will just about be as fast as the C6 Z06. I nearly crapped myself when he alluded to that.

Sorry, guys. I think I may be leaving the M3/4 crew and going to the dark side.

I hope they come out with a badass gun metal color. It looks like the seats are ready for a 4-point harness with a rear stabilizer bar behind it
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 07:22 AM   #94
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMagi View Post
Their approach to engine efficiency is interesting using active management
to shut off 4 cylinders when not needed instead of turbos.
26mpg hwy, eat your cake and have it too!
Interesting ze germans didn't consider the technology...we so could've had >20mpg hwy with cylinder activation.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 08:43 AM   #95
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
Interesting ze germans didn't consider the technology...we so could've had >20mpg hwy with cylinder activation.
Actually I think Audi did that in their new TT V8.

They all have to do some magic tricks to keep things smooth and expensive feeling, which adds weight and complexity. Vettes have always had mid-twenties highway MPG's, don't see where this one really improves the numbers that much. In the case of the Vette it has more to do with very low weight, very tall gearing (which works well with a torquey engine) and relatively low drag.

When you take a Vette engine and install it into a heavy sedan body, you get a highway fuel economy similar to the M3's.

Anecdotal, but during my Euro Delivery when I was driving very long stretches of highway I was averaging over 21mpg in the M.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 09:06 AM   #96
Aro1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 DCT, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson View Post
its in the works
Everything I have read states they abandoned that project. I'm sure it has a lot to do with cost and weight savings, but these trannys are where it's at now and in the future. I think they really need to invest in one. Just look at bmw, porsche, ferrari... The AMG MCT speedshift tranny is also pretty good.

Last edited by Aro1; 01-18-2013 at 09:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 09:24 AM   #97
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe

Quote:
I think they should finally invest in a dual clutch tranny. I think it would help their sales and offer amazing performance, esp. with this new model. Same applies to the Viper.
I concur. I did not like the SMG but DSG is totally different all together IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 10:12 AM   #98
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post

They all have to do some magic tricks to keep things smooth and expensive feeling, which adds weight and complexity. Vettes have always had mid-twenties highway MPG's, don't see where this one really improves the numbers that much. In the case of the Vette it has more to do with very low weight, very tall gearing (which works well with a torquey engine) and relatively low drag.

When you take a Vette engine and install it into a heavy sedan body, you get a highway fuel economy similar to the M3's.

Anecdotal, but during my Euro Delivery when I was driving very long stretches of highway I was averaging over 21mpg in the M.
it's not difficult to get MPGs in the low 20's on the M if you're not driving too spiritedly. Most of my road trips average anywhere from 21-23mpg with a fully loaded car. that's not how the EPA rates it though.

the last Vette was rated at 26mpg - this new one is supposed to be higher than that (close to 30). therefore, if you drive it reasonably, I'll bet you that you could get just over 30mpgs on the highway.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 10:24 AM   #99
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
it's not difficult to get MPGs in the low 20's on the M if you're not driving too spiritedly. Most of my road trips average anywhere from 21-23mpg with a fully loaded car. that's not how the EPA rates it though.

the last Vette was rated at 26mpg - this new one is supposed to be higher than that (close to 30). therefore, if you drive it reasonably, I'll bet you that you could get just over 30mpgs on the highway.
i doubt that unless its all downhill.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #100
soberin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E90

I find all the enthusiasm on this thread a bit premature. Sure the appearance is surprisingly beautiful, but the rear still sucks. I would also wait for some road tests from reputable sources, particularly as to suspension function during mid corner, as well as steering feedback and feel. We all know the engine, although with ancient technology compared to my E90, is fantastic, but what will be the true driving experience?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #101
Mookster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 ZR1 & 2020 Supra GR LE

We have seen some folks report 30MPG on the highway in a C6Z06. I myself have seen 26 as the best ever. My average is 17 but i have no mercy when i drive.

One would think C7 can easily do better than C6.
      01-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #102
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep

I used to get 28 mpg cruising at 75
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #103
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post

Quote:
Everything I have read states they abandoned that project. I'm sure it has a lot to do with cost and weight savings, but these trannys are where it's at now and in the future. I think they really need to invest in one. Just look at bmw, porsche, ferrari... The AMG MCT speedshift tranny is also pretty good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja Ventureshield View Post
I concur. I did not like the SMG but DSG is totally different all together IMHO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by soberin View Post
I find all the enthusiasm on this thread a bit premature. Sure the appearance is surprisingly beautiful, but the rear still sucks. I would also wait for some road tests from reputable sources, particularly as to suspension function during mid corner, as well as steering feedback and feel. We all know the engine, although with ancient technology compared to my E90, is fantastic, but what will be the true driving experience?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookster View Post
We have seen some folks report 30MPG on the highway in a C6Z06. I myself have seen 26 as the best ever. My average is 17 but i have no mercy when i drive.

One would think C7 can easily do better than C6.
The driving experience is what corvette traditionalists require. It's rash to expect the corvette to perform as good as or better than the M3. (subjective) The vette's gearing/performance is perfect for its targets in the continental US.

People keep forgetting that 98% of car owners (no matter what brand) do not take their cars to the track.

In a country where the majority of roads are straight, a track oriented car like the M3 is just wasted. Take this forum for example, please spend upto $70k getting a 414hp/295tq car to only desire more power. Case and point, the infatuation with supercharging which adds anywhere from $15-25k on top of the car.

All this would've been great if the frame of the M3 could take the extra power-anybody forget the E46 M3 debacle? These cars are not built to handle gobs of torque without proper reinforcements. This was validated during my visit to a reputed indy shop in Philly that specializes in beemers.

Last edited by checkmate; 01-18-2013 at 02:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 12:17 PM   #104
jerseygirl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Wow.....bad ass....
totally agree total bad ass
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 03:27 PM   #105
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
The driving experience is what corvette traditionalists require. It's rash to expect the corvette to perform as good as or better than the M3. (subjective) The vette's gearing/performance is perfect for its targets in the continental US.

People keep forgetting that 98% of car owners (no matter what brand) do not take their cars to the track.

In a country where the majority of roads are straight, a track oriented car like the M3 is just wasted. Take this forum for example, please spend upto $70k getting a 414hp/295tq car to only desire more power. Case and point, the infatuation with supercharging which adds anywhere from $15-25k on top of the car.

All this would've been great if the frame of the M3 could take the extra power-anybody forget the E46 M3 debacle? These cars are not built to handle gobs of torque without proper reinforcements. This was validated during my visit to a reputed indy shop in Philly that specializes in beemers.
Confused. On the track, especially, a Corvette will destroy an M3, particularly if you are talking Z06 or ZR1.
      01-18-2013, 03:50 PM   #106
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by soberin View Post
There is little doubt it will be an amazing performer. I agree we need to reserve judgement but the current Vette is fantastic from a driving experience perspective and runs rings around most other cars. I would be shocked if this isn't the case here... and more.

My bet is this car outperforms far more expensive cars. I would also wager that the ZR1 variant will run rings around most anything else out there including 458's, Lambos, etc. All speculation but I'll put $100 on it.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 03:58 PM   #107
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
It's rash to expect the corvette to perform as good as or better than the M3.
We all agree the M3 is spectacular for what it is... but this statement makes little sense to me. The Corvette is a better performing car than the M3 in almost all variants even when looking at the C6... for drag races and ESPECIALLY at the track. This is a car that has more power and torque (even in base form) and weighs WAY less than an M3. From a pure performance perspective, there is little to compare even with the C6 but with the interior improvements and, without a doubt, performance improvements the C7 is in a completely different league.

Now, if you need a back seat, trunk and a more commuter friendly car, the M3 is hard to beat.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 08:21 PM   #108
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

It's hard to believe that the c7 performance pack will have similar performance to a c6 z06 when it still weighs 200lbs less with a 50 hp advantage? I wonder what the suspension tweaks come down to?

Btw I avg 26 mpg from la to Laguna seca hitting 90 often and sitting in traffic 20% of the time in my z06. But then again I got 18 mpg in my m6 in similar conditions

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 08:26 PM   #109
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep

What do you mean by performance pack?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 09:06 PM   #110
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
Confused. On the track, especially, a Corvette will destroy an M3, particularly if you are talking Z06 or ZR1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
We all agree the M3 is spectacular for what it is... but this statement makes little sense to me. The Corvette is a better performing car than the M3 in almost all variants even when looking at the C6... for drag races and ESPECIALLY at the track. This is a car that has more power and torque (even in base form) and weighs WAY less than an M3. From a pure performance perspective, there is little to compare even with the C6 but with the interior improvements and, without a doubt, performance improvements the C7 is in a completely different league.

Now, if you need a back seat, trunk and a more commuter friendly car, the M3 is hard to beat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson View Post
What do you mean by performance pack?
Sorry for the confusion. What I meant was that the corvette should not be compared to the european marques. It's in a league of its own.
Appreciate 0