BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

06-13-2012, 10:13 AM   #1
BartMW
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Beautiful day at LCMT

Here's a bumper cam video of a few laps of Le Circuit Mont Tremblant. E92 6MT. Met a lot of great new people including CanAutM3. He got my wife out for a ride, had a fantastic time. Good to put a face to the poster. Great track, great people, great weather! What a weekend!

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 05:02 PM   #2
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Thanks for posting. It's great to see the layout of different tracks and build a "track encyclopedia" here.

That left-hander going under the pedestrian bridge looks tricky--you can't see the apex until you've passed under the bridge, and then it's right there.

Your tire hum sounds like Nitto NT01s--is that what you're using?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 06:11 PM   #3
BartMW
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98 View Post
Thanks for posting. It's great to see the layout of different tracks and build a "track encyclopedia" here.

That left-hander going under the pedestrian bridge looks tricky--you can't see the apex until you've passed under the bridge, and then it's right there.

Your tire hum sounds like Nitto NT01s--is that what you're using?
Now that is impressive! Yes they are 275/35-18 square setup Nitto NT-01s. I was mostly enjoying the engine noise from the front bumper. I'll go back and listen for the tire noise.

"Bridge" is a turn that takes some getting used to. I remember my first instructor saying, "the road isn't going to be in a different place next time around.". But it sure takes some time to feel that turn in. A lot of fun once you do.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 08:39 PM   #4
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartMW View Post
Now that is impressive! Yes they are 275/35-18 square setup Nitto NT-01s. I was mostly enjoying the engine noise from the front bumper. I'll go back and listen for the tire noise.

"Bridge" is a turn that takes some getting used to. I remember my first instructor saying, "the road isn't going to be in a different place next time around.". But it sure takes some time to feel that turn in. A lot of fun once you do.
I knew it! The NT01s are pretty loud and their hum is pretty distinctive. I'm running the same tire setup as you--this is my second set. I've been very happy with them. They stick much better than street tires, they last a long time, they actually do communicate a bit before breaking away, and they're relatively inexpensive.

With the "Bridge" turn, I guess you just have to cut in towards the blind apex and hope there isn't a spun car, a woodchuck, or a moose on the other side.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 09:41 PM   #5
M3 Montreal
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4

Love LCMT!

Canaut is fast on that track with 1:56 times.

That was a great video! Non wide angle view shows elevation better. You should have played the video up till the point where you passed the Cayman (I think its a cayman?).

I just found out bad news that my 2012 M3 is pushed back a month so I wont get it till August!

2011 B8 S4 S-Tronic , Black on magma red

Last edited by M3 Montreal; 06-13-2012 at 09:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 09:54 PM   #6
BartMW
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98 View Post
I knew it! The NT01s are pretty loud and their hum is pretty distinctive. I'm running the same tire setup as you--this is my second set. I've been very happy with them. They stick much better than street tires, they last a long time, they actually do communicate a bit before breaking away, and they're relatively inexpensive.

With the "Bridge" turn, I guess you just have to cut in towards the blind apex and hope there isn't a spun car, a woodchuck, or a moose on the other side.
I'm on my first set of NT01s and I like them a lot. I need to get some camber into the car really soon or they'll be corded in no time.

At the Bridge there is always a corner worker on the right side of that corner that you can see coming up the hill. All Canadian corner workers have a yellow flag, a blue flag, and either a Woodchuck or Moose flag, so it's a pretty safe corner.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 10:01 PM   #7
BartMW
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Montreal View Post
Love LCMT!

Canaut is fast on that track with 1:56 times.

That was a great video! Non wide angle view shows elevation better. You should have played the video up till the point where you passed the Cayman (I think its a cayman?).

I just found out bad news that my 2012 M3 is pushed back a month so I wont get it till August!
I need to get out for a ride with Canaut, I've got lots to learn.

I do like that low camera angle, and yes, a non wide angle would help show the great elevation changes on that track. I wouldn't want to show up the Cayman, so I had to cut the video.

Too bad about the wait. I feel for you. I had to wait 3 months after I test drove my E92 before I finally got it, but the wait was definitely worth it!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 08:20 PM   #8
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
It was nice to meet you too BartMW. What a beautiful weekend we had. The weather was great. Your Jerez Black car looked awesome in the sunlight.

It was also a pleasure to meet your wife and take her out for a few laps. You are a lucky man .

Not a weekend to do fast laps though, as there was a lot of traffic in my run group (only quick filmed lap was a 1:56.66). I had a lot of fun running with other cars though. To be honest, I find it more fun to run in a pack with others of similar speed instead of being all by yourself doing a fast lap .

There is always an opportunity to learn. We had the privilege of having Claude Bourbonnais at the track for private coaching sessions. While I did not get him to ride with me, I did get others to share tips he gave them. One good one that was common to most, is to accelerate less between turns 10 and 11 to avoid having to brake going into 11. This keeps the chassis more stable and allows you to carry more speed through 11 and up the hill to 12. I tried it out on Sunday. Not sure if I'm faster yet, but the car definitely feels more planted. Will try it with more speed next time .

Last edited by CanAutM3; 06-14-2012 at 08:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 06:51 PM   #9
BartMW
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Thanks CanAutM3. I am loving the Jerez Black. It's a great colour. And yes, I am a lucky man. I was in Guys car in one of those packs with you and it seemed pretty darn fast to me. Great fun. Interesting regarding 10 and 11. In my 325ci I didn't brake into 11 and it did feel very smooth. With the extra peer in the M3 I was braking all weekend. Next time I'll give it a try.
Appreciate 0