BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

Steve Thomas BMW

08-10-2015, 10:52 PM   #1
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

Help w/ Detail Suggestions

I know there are better products out there and I know you have to spend the money to get that perfect detail. But for the average joe, what do you recommend and proven?

I am content with my $60 harbor freight DA polisher. I would buy $200 detail kit from chemical guys, detailed image, what have you. But I know a lot of the work comes from the pads and the compound/product you use.

In the picture the pads follow the divisions. black (finish) and blue (polish) from harbor freight, white (surbuf pad) I chose 105 because reviews had demonstrated it a one stop product. From what I see, I need a better pad. Out of three that worked best, black (1), surbuf (2), blue (3). The orange peel/hazing from all three worked. A majority of the scratches gone were from using the black pad. I ordered the new scratch and swirl remover from chemical guys last night, I hope that's the winner. If that didn't exist, what pad and compound do you suggest.

My guess would have to be menzerna (but which one) and those hexagon pads (but which one).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 01:41 PM   #2
rjd598
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3/ F30 328i

Garage List
2016 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [4.50]
i think your pad choice is more important. there are many to choose from, but look at ones from detailed image and autogeek. anything you buy from them will better than the hf pads. i would say get fg400 with a proper pad. that is a true one step product. 105 should be followed with 205
      08-12-2015, 01:10 AM   #3
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
i think your pad choice is more important. there are many to choose from, but look at ones from detailed image and autogeek. anything you buy from them will better than the hf pads. i would say get fg400 with a proper pad. that is a true one step product. 105 should be followed with 205
Detailed image did get back to me, 205 was what they recommended too
Sure bet better pass will help out much better
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 09:52 AM   #4
radiofrequency
Field Marshall
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP

Your car appears to be Jet Black to me, please feel free to correct if I am wrong. I owned a 2007 Jet Black 335i, and while I felt that I was a pretty competent amateur detailer, I found this color very, very difficult to work on. Simply put, it shows everything and required a great deal of work to obtain perfect results. Based on the latter and your choice of products, I am going to recommend that you acquire a better DA polisher. I used the Griot's DA for many years, and while I felt that it was a perfectly adequate machine (which it was); the Flex was just so much better. It's a relatively small investment to make considering you'll be able to use it for the rest of your life. http://www.autogeek.net/flex-orbital-polisher.html

As to pads, I have used many and like the quality and longevity of the Lake Country products: http://www.lakecountrymfg.com/products/ There are many good/great pads out there, and IMHO, these are very well made.

The autogeek.com website has great information on the various products you can use on your vehicle to get that glassy wet look. It would behoove you to consult with them, specifically, based on the Jet Black color you are dealing with at present. rjd598 recommended the Menzerna FG400 product, this is a very solid and excellent recommendation, review the specific product in action here:

If this is your initial foray into detailing, then my advice is to use good tools and products to obtain the best results. Then there is the effort required, to obtain the results you desire is going to take a lot of patience and hard work! Please post pictures of your final results - thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 01:04 PM   #5
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey e90 M3

I learned my lesson with Jet Black. My E46 was a pain in the dick to keep swirl free. Had I known about ceramic / permanent polymer coatings that are more and more prevalent in today's market, I would have done that to my E46 and called it a day. I enjoy detailing like the next guy, but the OCD person in me was ready to drive the car off a cliff after a week post full detail.

BMWCCA:518970
Appreciate 0