BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-11-2011, 10:56 PM   #1
wchow16
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

***HELP*** Loud static - back RH speaker

Ok I did a search and it's been a issue in the past. The posts from 2008 do not confirm what the fix is.

I just opened my back trunk, car is off, and the right hand rear speaker behind the head rest was making a very loud static noise. I powered the car up, tried to mute the audio system, static persisted. I powered car off and the static continued. I went in the house with the key fob and then the static stopped. Not sure if it stopped because I moved the key fob farther or not....

What is wrong and what needs to be fixed for those that have experienced this?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 11:16 PM   #2
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
I've had random, inexplicable errors this went away on their own after the car was switched off for over an hour
From no sound from head unit
To power button staying on, even if I tried to switch it off
Etc
I guess the problem will go away on it's own
      08-12-2011, 12:09 AM   #3
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

You might also be in an area where you have strong radio frequencies. Popped a speaker back there maybe?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 10:22 AM   #4
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S

I had the EXACT same problem about two years ago.

I ended up unplugging the optical input wire to the amp. After that, it never happened again. I suspect it is the head unit. I have heard of several others having their head unit replaced for various reasons.

When I unplugged that input wire, it was glowing red (getting a signal from the head unit). So, one could reason that the head unit was sending an errant signal.

My car was also completely "off". It had been sitting overnight. When I popped the trunk, the LOUD static noise started.

Again, it only happened once....it has never occurred again.
2008 E90 M3 -- Sold
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 04:01 PM   #5
glider4
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I replaced the stock HiFi amp on my 2008 e90 sedan last month. Had the negative terminal on the battery disconnected then when finished I reconnected it. It wasn't until I closed or opened the driver's door that the rear right speaker noise began. Turned the audio off and on, also started the engine and shut everything off but the static noise keep going. Pretty damm loud too! After 2-3 minutes it stopped without me doing anything more. Hasn't come back.

Hopefully you and I experienced a one time gremlin that won't return.

Last edited by glider4; 08-12-2011 at 04:04 PM.. Reason: title cut off
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 05:09 PM   #6
tvl1219
Private
Rep
Drives: white E92 m3

I'm having the same issue with my speakers right now! Im gettin the noise from the front and back speakers. Still can't figure out what the problem is coming from!!! It started making the noise when I switch the oem amp with the JL XD 600/6.. Some say it could be the ground wire for the amp..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 04:57 PM   #7
DavidZ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11.5 E90 M3 6MT

What a coincidence. I had the same thing happen today. Most annoying sound from the rear speakers that won't go away (the "stereo" is really always on because it makes the "gong" sound). I thought it was a short in my custom install, but the problem fixed itself after I turned of the engine, removed the key, opened the door and waited for the amps to turn off.
      08-16-2011, 12:15 PM   #8
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

I've also had many one-time gremlins, including the dreaded speaker full-blast mentioned here, but in my case, it happened while driving, when I tried to lower the volume while switching from FM to CD (trying to avoid a blast from volume differential, ironically). Never happened again.

Problem is this stupid car fires everything on the moment a door or trunk is open. Plus leaves everything on for several minutes after shutting everything off. You can always hear the speaker static if you put your ear on the front tweeters after turning engine off. The static is always there, but mostly unobtrusively. It's either the head unit or amp. And I bet most of these cases is with the EPS, which I have. Haven't heard this happening on the HiFi standard system. As long as it doesn't happen again, or more often, I won't worry about it. But I'd LOVE to know what the hell can cause that. I doubt it's a bad ground, but could be wrong. It's a head scratcher. Have a good one folks.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 12:50 PM   #9
DavidZ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11.5 E90 M3 6MT

I have the standard Hi-Fi system, and although I've upgraded my amp and speakers, I'm quite convinced this sound came from the head unit. I also don't think it was a physical problem like a wire getting shorted; I think this car is so "computerized" that sometimes the software acts up and causes things like this.
      08-16-2011, 02:11 PM   #10
MVEED3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

I brought this exact same issue up with my SA at the last service. My audio even went into a mute condition once, only able to faintly hear music when opening up the volume completely. I had to take the key out and re-start the car to get normal sound output. Apparently it's a known issue. They fixed it with a S/W flash. It hasn't happened since.

Allen
2013 HP4 Competition
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #11
RedRumble
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 Merc E55 AMG, 13 BMW 135is

I'm so glad I found this post last night. My 2008 e90 was doing this and I was worried I'd have to detach the battery or something. Thankfully, I shut the car down for a minute or so, as people here suggested, came back to it and everything was working again.

WHEW.

Thanks for the good info, guys.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #12
BR1060
Registered
Rep
Drives: '09 BMW M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
I'd create a new thread - but seeing that I'm new, and only currently have 1 purpose for starting a new thread (and require 3 posts before I can), I had to find a thread that is similar.. and 'friendly' hijack it...

So this is my question:

2009 E92 with iDrive, and pretty sure I have the hi-fi system, there are 11 speakers and they are a gold color.

Driver side Rear speaker, DOA. Uninstalled it, ran it to a voltmeter, saw some current, thought it was the speaker itself. Replaced it. Still DOA.

Not sure what to do next, or where to check? Do these speakers require the mid and the treble be hooked up to work properly? I've not checked the high, but figured since the mid itself wasn't working, that was the culprit...

Any suggestions, please let me know. And my sincere apologies for taking away from the original OP with static noises.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 10:42 AM   #13
Longbow64
_______
Rep
Drives: 15 M3, 13 X3 35i MSport

Had the same issue. It happened after the car sat out in the parking lot for the three day rain we had here. All speakers make static popping and noise even with the radio off and when the ECU turns on from opening a door and several minutes after turning the car off. It blew out my righ rear speaker and the little top piece fell into the speaker causing it to melt and smoke. Has anyone identified the weak spot in the wiring so I can find it and keep it from getting wet? I'd rather not keep throwing parts at it that are going to fail next time there's a big rain storm. Not much of an issue in El Paso, but a concern for when I move back to FL next year.
      09-18-2013, 11:08 AM   #14
Longbow64
_______
Rep

This issue with the audio has occured twice for me. Both times it was after the car sat outside during a heavy rain storm. Has anyone found the issue, because apparently it's happening to more than my car?
      09-26-2013, 05:10 PM   #15
Longbow64
_______
Rep

Car is in maintenance now to figure out the problem. . . more to follow.
      09-30-2013, 10:03 AM   #16
Longbow64
_______
Rep

Had the stereo system looked at. Looks like water is the confirmed culprit. If you've had these symptoms before or you're just curious, I'd advice you to take a look at your amp area for water and/or this white residue (left side of the trunk). If you have residue, might want to hit your seals up with some kind of a sealant. Currently, my subwoofer under the driver's seat, right rear door speaker, and left rear deck speakers are the only ones that work. My right rear deck speaker is definitely blown and is pictured below. Still waiting to see if this is going to be covered under warranty. Initial assessment is that it won't be because water caused the damage. My point is that BMW didn't properly seal their car, so how is that my fault?
Attached Images

10-01-2013, 06:45 PM   #17
Longbow64
_______
Rep

Determination was that water was getting in from the tail light seams. More to follow on what exactly was damaged and how to avoid/prevent it from happening again.
      10-19-2013, 02:03 PM   #18
TX_M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' e92 M3

Having this exact issue. Started when driving home in the rain last night. Any resolutions to fix this yet? The sound is unbearable! How can I temporarily stop the static? Disconnecting the amp?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 03:23 PM   #19
Longbow64
_______
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_M3
Having this exact issue. Started when driving home in the rain last night. Any resolutions to fix this yet? The sound is unbearable! How can I temporarily stop the static? Disconnecting the amp?
So ended up with a damaged amp and three blown speakers.

If this is happening to you, disconnect the battery as soon as possible and check the amp area for water. Remove the amp and dry the area. Once the amp dries out, if no permanent damage occurred, the amp will play normal.
      10-20-2013, 07:26 PM   #20
insi10
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Right rear speaker static

I am experiencing the same problem. I am also about to replace the DMTL...which seems like a completely unrelated issue, but read on:

Someone posted in this or another thread on speaker static that one cause of the static might be water below the amp, which is in the left side of the trunk. He did not know how the water got in. Well, read on.

Another post said he unplugged a cable from that amp to end the trouble.

So...I checked for water around the amp. The area was indeed wet.

I did this while searching for the DMTL, which some said was on the right side, some on the left, but the descriptions made me think it was forward of the wheel. Well, I finally located it: It is BEHIND the rear left wheel on my vehicle, RIGHT BELOW THE AMP.

And below the DMTL is a splash shield. Mine has a huge hole in it.

SUMMARY:
Splash guard badly gored.
DMTL current bad; plug exposed to violent splashing.
Amp area wet; right above the splashing.

No way to prove this, but a possible cause of DMTL failure (which seems to be common among these models) AND the speaker static is a damaged splash guard below, allowing powerful water splashing to fly upward.

Your mileage, of course, may vary.

BTW: Got the DMTL from http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/2934...p-16137193479/

Price was $118 with regular shipping; I added overnight for $29.99

One other place had it cheaper ($103) plus shipping, ending up with about the same price.

BMW Riverside Calif quoted me $194 and change for the same part.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #21
Longbow64
_______
Rep

So, do you get this the DMTL from the trunk or the wheel well?
      01-11-2016, 01:52 PM   #22
aka_phox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Convertilble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longbow64
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_M3
So ended up with a damaged amp and three blown speakers.

If this is happening to you, disconnect the battery as soon as possible and check the amp area for water. Remove the amp and dry the area. Once the amp dries out, if no permanent damage occurred, the amp will play normal.
Was it covered under warranty?

'11.5 SG E93/6MT/ALL BOXES CHECKED
BLACK GRILL/BLACK SIDE GILLS/15% TINT/PAINTED REFLECTORS/SPACERS/ANGEL iBRIGHTS/20'' VOSSEN CV3/VINYL WRAPPED SHADOW LINE TRIM/ETS-POWER TUNE/
///M-FLIGHT MEMBER
Appreciate 0