BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-10-2013, 06:06 PM   #1
Dannys M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F Type R

Garage List
2008 M3  [10.00]
Plug condition after 55K miles

Thanks to TxStig for the coil tool, I noticed lately a lot of us are changing our spark plugs. I have not seen anyone post photos of their plugs and mileage. I changed mine a couple of weeks ago. I ran close to 55K miles on these plugs and with 93 octane. This is not a debate about when you should change your plugs. My plugs look as I would expect a set of 55K mile plugs would look like. Mild fowling in #1 and #2, slightly rich (factory is always conservative with AF ratios) and no excessive signs of detrimental wear. My engine uses about a liter of oil between 15K mile oil changes. Please post photos of your plugs and mileage.
Attached Images

Last edited by Dannys M3; 04-02-2013 at 02:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 10:13 AM   #2
Andy_H_E92_M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3

Great post. Will post my pics after my plug change. Just passed 40k.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 09:06 PM   #3
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Great post. I like to change mine at 20k to 30k. The plugs and coil tool are sitting at home and I don't know when I'll get to them. I'm at 33k on this set and will post pics as soon as I get to them.

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 10:42 PM   #4
lbrsupra
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: m3

Nice thanks for the show. Where you getting any missing at cold starts? Feel like its running smoother now?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 04:38 PM   #5
M3amigos
HP addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jerez Black E93 6MT

Just changed mine at 46k, definitely makes a difference...

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 04:48 PM   #6
Dannys M3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [10.00]
You have 46,000 miles on these plugs?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 09:16 PM   #7
M3amigos
HP addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jerez Black E93 6MT

As far as I know, i bought the car with 40k but bmw has no record of a plug replacement...
      03-30-2013, 07:08 AM   #8
Dannys M3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [10.00]
They look extremely clean for 46,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 07:35 AM   #9
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Mine were changed at 37k km and a couple of plugs were fouled like the above pic. I noticeable response to throttle input.
      03-30-2013, 01:04 PM   #10
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Roughly 31k on these, 72k on the car. #4 and #5 Coils were a B!($h to get back on. I'm still not sure if they're on all the way, but the engine isn't missing under load.

Last edited by Radiation Joe; 03-30-2013 at 01:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 08:06 PM   #11
Dannys M3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [10.00]
Comparing my photos with the other two posts, it appears my plugs are more fouled. The dealership said they changed my plugs, and I had to convince them they were wrong about the plugs being condition based service. Service manual specifically states at 37K miles. If they did not change them then these plugs would have 99K miles on them. I wish I could be certain they changed them. I'll know in 55K miles when I change the current plugs out.

Joe your plugs look really good.

Last edited by Dannys M3; 03-30-2013 at 08:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 10:52 AM   #12
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannys M3 View Post

Joe your plugs look really good.
My car sees almost exclusively highway miles with occasional blasts at full throttle to give the car an "Italian Tune-up". Plus I run a bottle of Redline Fuel System Cleaner through it once every 5k miles or so.

I'm guessing your car sees mostly urban driving. That makes a big difference in how much build-up you can develop in the combustion chambers. Run some Techron, Redline or other reputable cleaner through your fuel system periodically to help keep things clean. Let it see 8000+ rpm every now and then, also.

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 11:53 AM   #13
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Sory guys...but all these spark plugs on this page...don't look good !
That's why i change mine on 20K miles,but here in Belgium i run alway's 98 RON !
So...maybe therefore my plugs looks way better,and keep in mind...the S65 likes new plugs
When i changed my plugs...i felt realy the difference,so you guys with plugs in a realy bad condition...you must even more feeling the difference

Last edited by ///M Power-Belgium; 03-31-2013 at 02:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 05:02 PM   #14
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
That's why i change mine on 20K miles,but here in Belgium i run alway's 98 RON !
So...maybe therefore my plugs looks way better,and keep in mind...the S65 likes new plugs
When i changed my plugs...i felt realy the difference,so you guys with plugs in a realy bad condition...you must even more feeling the difference
I have filled BP Ultimate (RON 98) from day 1 in my car and given the claim made by BP - "BP Ultimate Unleaded and BP Ultimate Diesel have outstanding cleaning properties. Not only can they prevent the build-up of deposits, they are formulated to help clean away existing ones, making your engine feel and run much more like new again," I am surprised there is build up on the plugs.

About 6 months ago I ran a bottle of Liqui Moly Fuel System Conditioner and this is what's claimed by Liqui Moly - "Liqui Moly Fuel System Cleaner / Conditioner is ideal for high performance engines as fuel flow and atomisation is critical. It can also be used to detox a fuel system that has starting or hesitation problems, rough idling, poor acceleration or above normal exhaust emissions. This concentrated formula with its intense detox is more effective than most fuel injection cleaners. It fully restores horsepower and efficiency through its deep cleaning action that removes stubborn build-ups of carbon & deposits. The special conditioners protect the entire system from fuel tank to combustion chamber, allowing optimum fuel flow for 10,000km. Suitable for both petrol and diesel engines that are carburettor, fuel injected or direct injected. Safe for all catalytic converters, oxygen sensors, and diesel particulate filters."

With all these look at the build up on the plugs that have done 37k km over five years. These kms have been mainly city and short runs.

So I don't know what the cause of the build up we see given all the cleaning we do.
Attached Images

04-01-2013, 05:19 AM   #15
Dannys M3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
My car sees almost exclusively highway miles with occasional blasts at full throttle to give the car an "Italian Tune-up". Plus I run a bottle of Redline Fuel System Cleaner through it once every 5k miles or so.

I'm guessing your car sees mostly urban driving. That makes a big difference in how much build-up you can develop in the combustion chambers. Run some Techron, Redline or other reputable cleaner through your fuel system periodically to help keep things clean. Let it see 8000+ rpm every now and then, also.
Joe,
I have a mix of 70% highway and 30% city driving. The on ramp to I-95 every morning at 05:00 sees redline
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 05:22 AM   #16
Dannys M3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
I did not notice that much difference. I do not think any of these or my plugs look that bad.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 07:25 AM   #17
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannys M3 View Post
I do not think any of these or my plugs look that bad.
I was thinking the same thing! They dont look bad at all to me (but im no expert)
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 11:28 AM   #18
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
I have filled BP Ultimate (RON 98) from day 1 in my car and given the claim made by BP - "BP Ultimate Unleaded and BP Ultimate Diesel have outstanding cleaning properties. Not only can they prevent the build-up of deposits, they are formulated to help clean away existing ones, making your engine feel and run much more like new again," I am surprised there is build up on the plugs.

About 6 months ago I ran a bottle of Liqui Moly Fuel System Conditioner and this is what's claimed by Liqui Moly - "Liqui Moly Fuel System Cleaner / Conditioner is ideal for high performance engines as fuel flow and atomisation is critical. It can also be used to detox a fuel system that has starting or hesitation problems, rough idling, poor acceleration or above normal exhaust emissions. This concentrated formula with its intense detox is more effective than most fuel injection cleaners. It fully restores horsepower and efficiency through its deep cleaning action that removes stubborn build-ups of carbon & deposits. The special conditioners protect the entire system from fuel tank to combustion chamber, allowing optimum fuel flow for 10,000km. Suitable for both petrol and diesel engines that are carburettor, fuel injected or direct injected. Safe for all catalytic converters, oxygen sensors, and diesel particulate filters."
And also...i was thinking...my engine use not so match oil as others do !
So my conclusion is....i don't know the real cause of the bad condition of spark plugs

With all these look at the build up on the plugs that have done 37k km over five years. These kms have been mainly city and short runs.

So I don't know what the cause of the build up we see given all the cleaning we do.
Yeah....i'm 100% agreed....
But...i'm someone that alway's observes and examine things,and also details on my car !
Now...the Liqui Moly fuel system cleaner i know also,it's works with a higher combustion,and cleans everething like aussiem3 describes
But personelly i have noticed that when i filled up with Shell V-Power Plus 98 RON and they claim,a cleaner engine, more power for high performance engines, and more miles with a fill up !
I my case...NOT !!!
I noticed with Shell,Texaco,Total,Lukoil,Oeral, Q8 all 98-RON and others that i forgot....with these brands of fuel...inside my exhaust tips looked like black coals !!!
Except one brand....Esso,and with Esso my exhaust tips,even after 300 miles are match cleaner and i can see even the chrome !
So ...now i use only one brand....Esso 98 Ron And this explains maybe my cleaner spark plugs ?!?!
I even told this to my BMW dealer,an they had a strange look,and ansered me...there is a lot of crap out there ?!?! So ....
But i know one thing....i stay with Esso,and sory again but my spark plugs looks far better than on the pictures one this page !
And also my engine consume less oil than others do,but the real cause of the bad looking spark plugs....i don't know
BTW...the spark plugs from Radiation Joe are looking better than the others !

Last edited by ///M Power-Belgium; 04-01-2013 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 12:38 PM   #19
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
I was thinking the same thing! They dont look bad at all to me (but im no expert)
We should be checking the gap on these used plugs and compare to new, perhaps that is the "use" instead of carbon buildup?
      04-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #20
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah....i'm 100% agreed....
But...i'm someone that alway's observes and examine things,and also details on my car !
Now...the Liqui Moly fuel system cleaner i know also,it's works with a higher combustion,and cleans everething like aussiem3 describes
But personelly i have noticed that when i filled up with Shell V-Power Plus 98 RON and they claim,a cleaner engine, more power for high performance engines, and more miles with a fill up !
I my case...NOT !!!
I noticed with Shell,Texaco,Total,Lukoil,Oeral, Q8 all 98-RON and others that i forgot....with these brands of fuel...inside my exhaust tips looked like black coals !!!
Except one brand....Esso,and with Esso my exhaust tips,even after 300 miles are match cleaner and i can see even the chrome !
So ...now i use only one brand....Esso 98 Ron And this explains maybe my cleaner spark plugs ?!?!
I even told this to my BMW dealer,an they had a strange look,and ansered me...there is a lot of crap out there ?!?! So ....
But i know one thing....i stay with Esso,and sory again but my spark plugs looks far better than on the pictures one this page !
And also my engine consume less oil than others do,but the real cause of the bad looking spark plugs....i don't know
BTW...the spark plugs from Radiation Joe are looking better than the others !
I should have also mentioned, that I use Shell V-Power too. I am still surprised with the amount of carbon build up on the plugs. If the fuel clean as they claim, how's there carbon on the plug tips. My exhaust tips are not bad. They are black and the build up is not gunky.
      04-01-2013, 05:28 PM   #21
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
I should have also mentioned, that I use Shell V-Power too. I am still surprised with the amount of carbon build up on the plugs. If the fuel clean as they claim, how's there carbon on the plug tips. My exhaust tips are not bad. They are black and the build up is not gunky.
My only guess would be you're running a bit on the rich side? Lots of stop-and-go situations? Short distances when cold? O2 sensors starting to age? I'll put up a photo of mine, done at 22k or so, they didn't look that bad.
      04-02-2013, 06:32 AM   #22
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
My only guess would be you're running a bit on the rich side? Lots of stop-and-go situations? Short distances when cold? O2 sensors starting to age? I'll put up a photo of mine, done at 22k or so, they didn't look that bad.
What's the cause of the rich running? I've had BPM tune for about three months or so, and I don't think the build up is from that three-month period. If it's rich then how do I rectify it? I also have a BMC air filter.