BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-08-2008, 05:26 PM   #23
Gemcoska
Sleepy Member, wishing I was on the road.
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Seems to be alot of comments here about radar detectors IN GENERAL. What sets the V1 apart from others is that it indicates how many bogeys it detects and in what direction. Otherwise a radar detector is a radar detector. Unfortunately, there is not technology available to tell you ONLY when a cop has his radar gun pointed at you EVERY time. Instead you get EVERY (detectable) possibility. What's the point of a radar detector if you are only alerted some of the times. Better safe than sorry. Besides, if you're saved 1 or 2 twice, V1 pays for itself

Here's the rule of thumb I use (L setting).
Ka: Def a cop, hit the brakes
K: Could be anything, prolly an automatic door, be more alert
Ignore the rest, if its Laser, you're tagged before you get alerted.
Though RTM

On a 2 lane hwy or the 15 to Vegas, you're pretty much a sitting duck coming around a hill or bend. V1 is your best friend. On the 405 in LA, cops pace, just keep checking your mirrors.. all the time.

Ticket free for 6 years! Knock on wood!

Here's a tidbit, if your buddy had a V1, take your radio remote (a tv remote should work too) and point it at it and hit buttons. Lights the V1 up like a xmas tree. Its X band so he'll know its not a cop, but its still fun to do. An yell at all those that drive Qx4's, there auto cruise control F with V1 too.
      05-10-2008, 12:57 PM   #24
SS32
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemcoska View Post
Seems to be alot of comments here about radar detectors IN GENERAL. What sets the V1 apart from others is that it indicates how many bogeys it detects and in what direction. Otherwise a radar detector is a radar detector. Unfortunately, there is not technology available to tell you ONLY when a cop has his radar gun pointed at you EVERY time. Instead you get EVERY (detectable) possibility. What's the point of a radar detector if you are only alerted some of the times. Better safe than sorry. Besides, if you're saved 1 or 2 twice, V1 pays for itself

Here's the rule of thumb I use (L setting).
Ka: Def a cop, hit the brakes
K: Could be anything, prolly an automatic door, be more alert
Ignore the rest, if its Laser, you're tagged before you get alerted.
Though RTM

On a 2 lane hwy or the 15 to Vegas, you're pretty much a sitting duck coming around a hill or bend. V1 is your best friend. On the 405 in LA, cops pace, just keep checking your mirrors.. all the time.

Ticket free for 6 years! Knock on wood!

Here's a tidbit, if your buddy had a V1, take your radio remote (a tv remote should work too) and point it at it and hit buttons. Lights the V1 up like a xmas tree. Its X band so he'll know its not a cop, but its still fun to do. An yell at all those that drive Qx4's, there auto cruise control F with V1 too.

+1 I'd rather have false alarms than none at all when there could be a cop. A detector can't filter EVERYTHING on its own, so you have to know what to look for. I know in my home town, some cops still use X band. Anywhere else on the road, I ignore the X band. Ka is usually a highway patrolman or a cop in a city with more money. K band is still used, but not as prevalent as Ka.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2008, 07:50 PM   #25
jm1234
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Jet Black/Tan/SA 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinhci View Post
yep, a cop detector would be nice tho
Do they make one?

I know that there are police broadcast channels. An electronics manufacturer could make a device that detects radio communication nearby on these channels and know there is a officer around. I know they aren't always on the radio so this is hit or miss just like a radar/laser detector. Officers also have computers in the cars and those probably communicate to the station and that would also be detectable. Do officers have any type of tracking devices in their cars? Do these tracking devices broadcast on a specific frequency? Seems like a lot of effort goes into detecting radar or laser when in reality people would rather know there is an officer in the area rather than if they are already being tagged for a ticket.

Radar detectors are nice but they seem like a device that tells you someone is in the area shooting. Wouldn't it be nicer to have a device that told you someone is in the area with a gun so you could be more careful before the shooting starts? Metaphorically speaking.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 11:42 AM   #26
MagicMtnDan
E92 wiithout iDrive (excellent)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe Silverstone/blk

Some people run with police band scanners but unless you listen to them they wouldn't be much help.

The V1 is the best solution so far for drivers seeking to avoid po-po tix.

2008 E92 M3 Silverstone II
2006 MB G500 Gelandewagen Irridium Silver
2006 MB SL500 Irridium Silver (wife's)
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2008, 03:21 PM   #27
bmwprince4life
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: none

man this sucks ive passed by over 3 Chp cops in CA white color and all didnt go off. Those are most dangerous cuz they look like regular car. If I didnt look in my rear view i woulda got a ticket
      05-12-2008, 01:33 PM   #28
Gemcoska
Sleepy Member, wishing I was on the road.
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Be sure to LOOK! Don't let the V1 become a crutch. Its only there to help.
      05-12-2008, 02:21 PM   #29
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
the problem with radar detectors is that it provides people with a false sense of security. it's best to be as vigilant as possible and use the V1 to your advantage by sniffing out false alerts and obvious traps.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 03:41 PM   #30
Boost3dm3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1234 View Post
Do they make one?

I know that there are police broadcast channels. An electronics manufacturer could make a device that detects radio communication nearby on these channels and know there is a officer around. I know they aren't always on the radio so this is hit or miss just like a radar/laser detector. Officers also have computers in the cars and those probably communicate to the station and that would also be detectable. Do officers have any type of tracking devices in their cars? Do these tracking devices broadcast on a specific frequency? Seems like a lot of effort goes into detecting radar or laser when in reality people would rather know there is an officer in the area rather than if they are already being tagged for a ticket.

Radar detectors are nice but they seem like a device that tells you someone is in the area shooting. Wouldn't it be nicer to have a device that told you someone is in the area with a gun so you could be more careful before the shooting starts? Metaphorically speaking.
I can answer two of those questions. Radio communication nearby can be detected via a technology called closecall RF. There are several scanners that can do it but with most police agencies switching to digital you would need something like below. As for tracking police cars it doesnt exist yet. Not in my area at least. I have a friend who is a cop and I have worked on his car and I can tell you there is no tracking device most of the time they just call out their location. the computers commmunicate with the central servers using cellular modem cards which are on cellular frequencies that we cannot track (at least not legally).

http://www.uniden.com/products/produ...ilter=Handheld
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2008, 05:13 PM   #31
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

mine is on mode L. L filters out the weak x band. x band is most commonly used in Calif for alarms and auto door openers in stores.

most Cali agencies use K or Ka band. CHP uses Ka band, fixed front a rear - normally they have it wither fullt on or off. so if you drive by and its off, then no signal from v1. watch out may agencies are getting Laser.LA Co and even CHP is trying it. If you are first in line with Laser you are dead.