BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

08-03-2016, 06:38 AM   #1
JankGiovanella
Brazil
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92 6MT / 328i 1996 5MT

BMW knock noise (not bearings)

Hey guys,

Need your help to find out what's wrong with my engine.

So here it goes, recently I replaced all the bottom of my engine, new rod (BE) and main bearings are in and the job was done perfectly, nothing wrong there.
So after the job was done and we got the engine running we noticed the noise was still there, but was coming not from the bottom but from the heads, more precisely, front of the right valve cover (right side, looking from the front) exactly where the Vanos gears are.
So I'm thinking that the noise that led me to bearings wasn't the bearings, but ended up saving the engine as the rod bearings where about to explode. But now I'm on a mission to find out what's the cause of this noise:

Things I already done:

- Took the valve cover off and found out that one of the Vanos gears springs was loose, reattached it and tested, same noise.

- Took the Vanos oil check valves, one was clogged with something I belive was generated when the car stood some months at the dealer, it looked like dirt old oil. I was really happy thinking that I found the problem. Tested again and same noise, and to make things better now my car do a loud knock in cold stars, same as here ->http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...412843&page=10. So before cleaning the valve it never did this, so not happy about that

- Cheked chain tensioner, working perfecly

- Vanos gears show no signs of wear of damage

So guys, this is my story, I got the car since January and didn't drive it for more than 2k miles, nice right?

If anyone has any input I will really apreciate it, any guesses are welcome, even the obvious ones, maybe I didn't think about them yet. Apreciate any help as I'm getting really tired of taking the valve cover off and reasembling everything to test noises.

Best Regards

Jank

Edit: Forgot to mention, checked all the valve springs (I heard some 11-12 broke some springs), they are all in perfect condition.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 02:17 PM   #2
javarithms
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 SG FR, '03 530i

The noise disappears after a minute. Either way sounds normal to me.
      08-04-2016, 08:46 AM   #3
JankGiovanella
Brazil
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92 6MT / 328i 1996 5MT

It gets a little quieter but still there if your listening from the front and up. I'll post another video later today.
Appreciate 0