BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

04-21-2011, 12:39 PM   #89
991GT3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ford Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophizee View Post
It's not that the electronics differ from any modern sports car it's the feeling of the road you and car. When I drove the gtr I never had that feeling of the road car and me. Now I wanna make it clear the GTR is a gorges car and deserves praise for what it's done. But the gtr is a super car for dummies. The amount of forgiveness it has makes me feel it's a car for an 18 year old who doesn't know how to drive and can afford that kind of car via parents and that Is what the gtr is to me. I'm a track guy and not drag strips, the gtr from what I have seen make drivers who can't even shift properly look like michael schumacher and that my friends Is why I feel the gtr is not a drivers car but a car for... Let's not beat around the bush pissed off teenagers

You have a funny way of entering a thread. "Dummies"? "pissed off teenagers"? Really?

-2016 Macan Turbo(GF vehicle)
-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 12:59 PM   #90
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

i love the GTR

and if i was going to buy a car, I'd have picked the GTR over my M

but I leased, and the payments and residuals on the M3 were much more affordable than on the GTR

I will buy a GTR sooner or later... ever since I drove one in Tokyo back in 07, I promised myself I would get one sooner or later; I don't let myself down
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 02:59 PM   #91
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjd15 View Post
remember to give those dummies in GTR's point-by when you see them coming in your driver's car. J/K

GTR does make driver go fast because the confidence it gives, it's also more forgiving even when you miss the apex and the front tires just have too much grip to prevent you from spinning. But again, don't think that you can drive the GTR fast enough without some skill. For example, Just like comparing S2k to Miata, you can not say S2k is less driver's car because less skill driver in S2k can beat up driver in Miata.
Like a fat girl to cake I'm drawn to this thread.

A. you can't compare an s2k to a miata, the cars are setup in a fairly similiar way. A good comparison would have been a 2002 WRX vs. a 2002 S2000, we obviously know which car is more of a drivers car -the s2000. While the WRX had a larger engine, faster, AWD and more ways of turning a driver into a hero, most s2000 drivers found it to be more of a 'drivers' car. Which I think is the core of the arguement going against the GT-R being a 'drivers' car.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 04:37 PM   #92
scheherazade
Major
Rep
Drives: 09 GTR (& 93' accord!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by attila View Post
... Almost all GT-R owners seems to be happy with their car. Granted few people will list/say bad things about their car - I am one of them.
I would switch to a 911T or R8, JUST because I want "a GTR with a stick", and those are the two closest things to it.

(Gallardo is similar too ... but I am not willing to afford it).
I'll wait for used prices to go down a bit, and maybe I'll make the switch. We'll see.

-scheherazade
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 05:30 PM   #93
Prophizee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 GTR, 2014 x1 3.5 Msport

Thanks 997gt3 lol Hahahhaha. First of all your absolutely right about a test drive no way can a person appreciate the full potential of a car through a test I fully agree.... But can we also agree that there some cars you get into and in the first 10 mins you know this is the car for me this is the car I wanna take home and enjoy. With that being said the gtr was boring but the m3 I felt alive and I felt this car was ready to do my bidding and if I pushed or used to hard it would make me pay for it and I didnt get that with the Nissan. As I driver I want stable yes but I also want to feel my car hear my car like I Said before the gtr is a one night stand but the m3 that the car you take home for life and that is why 20 years from now when I am old and decrepit the m3 will still be a legend and the gtr will be a super car that any "pissed of teenager could drive" that one is just for you 997gtr lol
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 05:46 PM   #94
Prophizee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Idk about that man the m3 may be a drivers cars but the gtr would smoke me like a funny cigarette and while where both doing a 120 the gtr will do a pin point 90 degree turn even though the driver just got his license yesterday.... Just joking
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 07:49 PM   #95
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 coupe with DCT

Quote:
the m3 may be a drivers cars but the gtr would smoke me like a funny cigarette and while where both doing a 120 the gtr will do a pin point 90 degree turn even though the driver just got his license yesterday.... Just joking
IMO, this is the big deal about the GTR.

But just lets say and agree that the GTR is faster than the M3.

to me, I was thinking about that and I was like BFD. I mean, a Viper is also faster than a M3 or a Z06 is faster than a M3 (etc..) go down the list.

But the point, that needs to be looked at, is that many, people drive a car and never get into a contest of speed. In other words they don't see another car and think lets see who's d;ck is bigger. I don't see a GTR (or a Miata or any other car) and say let's see if I can smoke him or lets see if I can do a 100 to 150 mph blast and see if I win. That is not important in the least.

I don't race cars, I don't go to a race track, I don't go to a drag strip, I don't line up for 'pinks' etc..

the fact that a GTR is faster than a M3 is not very important to me.

Don't get me wrong, I like fast cars but I don't need anything much faster than the M3.

I could have a GTR and I would not be able to drive anywhere any faster (real world) in less time than I do with my M3. I am talking about public roads where law enforcement and safety is the main limiting factor not the car.

Suppose I get in my car and drive to work. Say that takes 20 minutes at the speed limit (+10 mph). I could get there in 14 minutes with a M3 or 13 minutes with a GTR driving balls to the wall. It doesn't matter because I don't drive anything over the speed limit +10 or +20 mph. I don't drive 155 mph much less 175 mph. So if the GTR could drive 200 MPH (lets say) that wouldn't do anything for me.

I participated in a "World Class Driving Event" where I was able to drive exotic and near exotic cars on public roads with noraml traffic and normal law enforcemt. I drove a McLaren SLR (close to 600hp car) and I drove a 911 GT3 as well as a Gallardo, and F430. The SLR was most powerful, but it wasn't the most fun, it was (to me) too powerful and dare I say "large" and ponderous. Sure it could probably get around a track much quicker than a M3 or GT3 and would slay the 1/4 mile quicker. But I am not interested in those things. To me it's more important to have great road feel and balance and zen with the road more thn whatever car is quicker. To me the best most entertaining cars was the GT3 and the F430 (both cars that would get slaughtered by the GTR at least in a straight line contest).

I drove a friends 911 turbo on the public roads and it was so fast/secure so that I could only drive it at 7/10ths or otherwise I would be in a safety issue (too fast for public roads) or a law enforcement issue (if I got caught I would be in trouble) so to me that was not especially fun as a car that is less safe/secure/planted that I can feel like I am going faster at a slower speed. Even if a car is much faster than a M3 I wouldn't drive any faster. I know guy who is brain dead because he was street racing is his 600+ hp Viper. Yes he could go faster than many (most) cars but it's not really something that I would care about.

Last edited by rai; 04-21-2011 at 08:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 07:50 PM   #96
991GT3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks 997gt3 lol Hahahhaha. First of all your absolutely right about a test drive no way can a person appreciate the full potential of a car through a test I fully agree.... But can we also agree that there some cars you get into and in the first 10 mins you know this is the car for me this is the car I wanna take home and enjoy. With that being said the gtr was boring but the m3 I felt alive and I felt this car was ready to do my bidding and if I pushed or used to hard it would make me pay for it and I didnt get that with the Nissan. As I driver I want stable yes but I also want to feel my car hear my car like I Said before the gtr is a one night stand but the m3 that the car you take home for life and that is why 20 years from now when I am old and decrepit the m3 will still be a legend and the gtr will be a super car that any "pissed of teenager could drive" that one is just for you 997gtr lol

My experience has been that I don't get a good feel for a car for quite some time. There are cars I have loved at first then ended up hating them (eg 2006 M6) and there are cars I first drove and was unimpressed then ended up loving (both GTRs).
IMO, test drives have limited value. I generally get more out of reading about a vehicle.

-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 08:09 PM   #97
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rai View Post
IMO, this is the big deal about the GTR.

But just lets say and agree that the GTR is faster than the M3.

to me, I was thinking about that and I was like BFD. I mean, a Viper is also faster than a M3 or a Z06 is faster than a M3 (etc..) go down the list.

But the point, that needs to be looked at, is that many, people drive a car and never get into a contest of speed. In other words they don't see another car and think lets see who's d;ck is bigger. I don't see a GTR (or a Miata or any other car) and say let's see if I can smoke him or lets see if I can do a 100 to 150 mph blast and see if I win. That is not important in the least.

I don't race cars, I don't go to a race track, I don't go to a drag strip, I don't line up for 'pinks' etc..

the fact that a GTR is faster than a M3 is not very important to me.

Don't get me wrong, I like fast cars but I don't need anything much faster than the M3.

I could have a GTR and I would not be able to drive anywhere any faster (real world) in less time than I do with my M3. I am talking about public roads where law enforcement and safety is the main limiting factor not the car.

Suppose I get in my car and drive to work. Say that takes 20 minutes at the speed limit (+10 mph). I could get there in 14 minutes with a M3 or 13 minutes with a GTR driving balls to the wall. It doesn't matter because I don't drive anything over the speed limit +10 or +20 mph. I don't drive 155 mph much less 175 mph. So if the GTR could drive 200 MPH (lets say) that wouldn't do anything for me.

I participated in a "World Class Driving Event" where I was able to drive exotic and near exotic cars on public roads with noraml traffic and normal law enforcemt. I drove a McLaren SLR (close to 600hp car) and I drove a 911 GT3 as well as a Gallardo, and F430. The SLR was most powerful, but it wasn't the most fun, it was (to me) too powerful and dare I say "large" and ponderous. Sure it could probably get around a track much quicker than a M3 or GT3 and would slay the 1/4 mile quicker. But I am not interested in those things. To me it's more important to have great road feel and balance and zen with the road more thn whatever car is quicker. To me the best most entertaining cars was the GT3 and the F430 (both cars that would get slaughtered by the GTR at least in a straight line contest).

I drove a friends 911 turbo on the public roads and it was so fast/secure so that I could only drive it at 7/10ths or otherwise I would be in a safety issue (too fast for public roads) or a law enforcement issue (if I got caught I would be in trouble) so to me that was not especially fun as a car that is less safe/secure/planted that I can feel like I am going faster at a slower speed. Even if a car is much faster than a M3 I wouldn't drive any faster. I know guy who is brain dead because he was street racing is his 600+ hp Viper. Yes he could go faster than many (most) cars but it's not really something that I would care about.
Honestly, from the sound of it... I think the M3 may not have been the 'right' car for you.
Rather, a 335D... or an Eclass

But, i do respect that you're able to control yourself so much
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 08:29 PM   #98
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
Honestly, from the sound of it... I think the M3 may not have been the 'right' car for you.
Rather, a 335D... or an Eclass

But, i do respect that you're able to control yourself so much
I wouldn't go that far, not sure if accurate to say I can't have fun in a M3 or that I'd be better off with a 335D. You don't think you can get more road feel or more fun to drive in a M3 than a Eclass?

The point is, I don't feel that being able to 'smoke' an M3 or that a car is quicker than a M3 around a race track (a GTR) is all that important to me, does that mean that I shoud not have a M3? I said I dont' want much faster than a M3 that doesn't mean the M3 is not the right car for me. But it is possible to drive a M3 and have more enjoyment than in 335D or Eclass?

Just because I don't drive more than 100 mph on public roads does not mean that I can not drive an M3 in a way that is fun than driving an Eclass, that's like saying I don't enjoy 1000+(degree) super-hot sauce than I can't enjoy any food that has any spice to it.

I would dare say that most (MOST) people do not track their cars and that most people don't drive much over the speed limit. I am saying if it's posted 50 mph they don't go along at 100 mph even if their car can take it. Most people who own a Bugatti don't drive it 250 mph so I guess that means they didn't buy the right car, they should have got a GTR and saved a lot of cash.

If I get a ticket 40 over the speed limit, I could get in a lot of trouble. I don't see then need to drive crazy on the street. The maximum speed limit where I live is 65 mph which means that if I get a ticket at 110 mph, I am probably in trouble and not good trouble. I don't see much point to that.

I am able to control myself (that is not get big speeding tickets) but still I am able to have fun while driving at sane speeds with some extra-legal bursts from time to time. I mean I would get some dirty looks or may get a ticket if seen by a cop, but not enough to get thrown in jail.

Last edited by rai; 04-21-2011 at 08:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 08:43 PM   #99
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep

just to point out. I love the GTR, think it's super and one of the best cars of all time. I also happen to think the M3 is pretty good and in some ways is better than the GTR (such as more room, RWD dynamics or some say more fun to drive at real world speeds, more comfortable reportedly etc.). And you can't say that on public roads if you do not want to kill yourself of get a big ticket, that you could find much differnce between the two cars as far as point A to B time would be. And I am not sure, but likely I could get a ticket just for accelerating from 0-60 in 3 seconds (if a cop was looking), even if I didn't break a speed limit, the cops could probably think of something to cite me with.

Again, if I was a track hound and if I cared about lap times (note I think if I went to the track it would be to have fun not to set any records). So even then at a track, I don't see the great big deal if one car is a tad bit quicker than another.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 09:12 PM   #100
Prophizee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The bottom line is gents that both cars are extremely well built and both are cars that people would kill to have. Me personally I like the M3 better because I love rear wheel drive and nothing sounds better then a naturally aspirated v8 engine. I love how nimble the M is and love the way it looks. The gtr on the other hand is more a track based car and looking wise it's great. Driving wise for how big the car is it can still move with the best of them. On the downside besides the comments I made early the GTR has a little bit of an identity crisis. It has the engine of a super car but the looks of a ordinary jap sports car. Seeing a GTR near and LFA the GTR looks horrible (personal opinion). The bad side of an M3 is power and that's it. If an M3 could crank out the numbers of a GTR and everything else was the same this debate would never happen. All an all if you want a saloon that is quick and nimble then the M3. If you are more interested in the wow factor and love technology in your cars def the GTR and If you just want brute force in the same price range the merc c63
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 07:17 AM   #101
ScotyH
Bimmer me up
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 2010 GTR

Quote:
The bottom line is gents that both cars are extremely well built and both are cars that people would kill to have. Me personally I like the M3 better because I love rear wheel drive and nothing sounds better then a naturally aspirated v8 engine. I love how nimble the M is and love the way it looks. The gtr on the other hand is more a track based car and looking wise it's great. Driving wise for how big the car is it can still move with the best of them. On the downside besides the comments I made early the GTR has a little bit of an identity crisis. It has the engine of a super car but the looks of a ordinary jap sports car. Seeing a GTR near and LFA the GTR looks horrible (personal opinion). The bad side of an M3 is power and that's it. If an M3 could crank out the numbers of a GTR and everything else was the same this debate would never happen. All an all if you want a saloon that is quick and nimble then the M3. If you are more interested in the wow factor and love technology in your cars def the GTR and If you just want brute force in the same price range the merc c63
You say the GTR has ordinary jap looks but in your last sentence you say it has wow factor?

A car 4 times the GTR's price with better looks? Gee that's.... nevermind
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 11:19 PM   #102
Prophizee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

It does look like an ordinary jap and thats not a bad thing but I don't think the wow factor of a GTR is any greater then when the G35 coupe came out in 03. Going to the LFA comparison I agree that might not be the best comparison, but that's the point the GTR has an identity problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 11:55 PM   #103
CAPSGOD
Major
Rep
Drives: Diesel Son

Quote:
It does look like an ordinary jap and thats not a bad thing but I don't think the wow factor of a GTR is any greater then when the G35 coupe came out in 03. Going to the LFA comparison I agree that might not be the best comparison, but that's the point the GTR has an identity problem.
These people seem to get attention with it

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...48#post8328548
http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=39718
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 09:22 AM   #104
991GT3
Captain
Rep

Quote:

You don't know what you're talking about. I have had a bunch of German cars and the GTR turns more heads than all my previous cars combined (not just from people that know what it is).
And please refrain from using the term "Jap".

-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 02:10 PM   #105
737Drvr
Private
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR/M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 997GT3 View Post
You don't know what you're talking about. I have had a bunch of German cars and the GTR turns more heads than all my previous cars combined (not just from people that know what it is).
And please refrain from using the term "Jap".
I agree the GTR is a head turner. In my local cars and coffee and other shows, there are plenty of people checking out the GTR. I've had my GT3 at these shows and both cars receive an equal amount of attention. The more common Porsches and other DD Germans don't get that much. I'm not discounting these cars as I'm a car guy through and through but stating what I see.

With the release of the '12 GTR, I am now in the market for one. I must admit it took time for the car to grow on me over these past couple of years. But with the improvements to the new one and an empty space in the garage, I pretty sure I'll be ordering one of these to fill it. I especially like the Blue but, to me, it also looks great in red. Blue is my first choice though and that's why I'll probably order one over the summer. Too hot here in AZ to enjoy a new car over the summer anyway. From all of the owners I've spoke to, they love the cars and it is a performance bargain. Plus, I like the exclusivity of it over say a Vette (no offense to Vette owners as it's also a great car). Any input you guys have is appreciated or if you know about the ordering process. Thanks...
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 06:11 PM   #106
Cabinetman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 GMC Sierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by 737Drvr View Post
Any input you guys have is appreciated or if you know about the ordering process. Thanks...
I think right now no one really has a firm grip on the ordering process for a GT-R because of the disaster in Japan. About 100 Black Edition GT-Rs were destroyed in the tsunami including a number of ordered cars. Those that had an ordered GT-R destroyed had their order cancelled and many are still trying to figure out if they will be able to reorder another car. It will likely be awhile before Nissan gets all of this sorted out. Once they do then the order banks should reopen for a second run of premium GT-Rs if there is enough demand. All of the first run premium GT-Rs are already in country.

Since red is one of your top choices you have a better chance of finding a '12 sitting on a dealer lot when you get ready to buy. Red GT-Rs don't seem to move as quickly as some other colors.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 07:29 PM   #107
CPB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911 turbo/E63S

Have had a GTR for 4 months now as a DD and it's been great. Incredible acceleration and handling. After 4000 miles, the suspension is not as harsh as it was brand new. Easy to live with, even on crappy NE roads.

Still can't get an M3 off my mind. Love the V8 wail. Fighting the urge to add one to the garage.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 01:32 AM   #108
aznbenz07
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Evolution x gsr, 2007 328xi

Garage List
2007 BMW 328 xi  [0.00]
2008 Mitsubishi  [0.00]
Quote:
I hate when people state opinions like these and have no grounded basis, it's just ignorant.

If I may, I've got an evo 10 and a 328xi (awd fanatic) and the evo gets so much more attention with merely a 1 inch drop. People on this forum always argue with me saying that their 3 series would get much more attention then my "Jap crap" and I'm just dumbfounded at the ignorance. My 3 series is just 1 of 800 that I see on a daily commute so it just blends in, so naturally when you see a clean evo 10 or gtr it turns heads. I had my window down at a stop light while in my evo one day and a young lady walking by goes, "Wow is that an Audi?" I laughed and said no it's actually a Mitsubishi lol.

That said, I can understand the allure and prestige that comes with owning say a BMW, Porsche, Maserati, over a Nissan or Mitsubishi there is a certain "it" factor that you feel sitting in a BMW, Porsche or other high end brand but at the end of the day... To each his own, I don't need the approval of others even though I get it just as much attention in my Japanese car.

Also, "NINE" I'm curious... Someone asked you what you drive and you never answered. What do you drive?
      04-25-2011, 10:29 AM   #109
scheherazade
Major
Rep
Drives: 09 GTR (& 93' accord!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznbenz07 View Post
I hate when people state opinions like these and have no grounded basis, it's just ignorant.

If I may, I've got an evo 10 and a 328xi (awd fanatic) and the evo gets so much more attention with merely a 1 inch drop. People on this forum always argue with me saying that their 3 series would get much more attention then my "Jap crap" and I'm just dumbfounded at the ignorance. My 3 series is just 1 of 800 that I see on a daily commute so it just blends in, so naturally when you see a clean evo 10 or gtr it turns heads. I had my window down at a stop light while in my evo one day and a young lady walking by goes, "Wow is that an Audi?" I laughed and said no it's actually a Mitsubishi lol.

That said, I can understand the allure and prestige that comes with owning say a BMW, Porsche, Maserati, over a Nissan or Mitsubishi there is a certain "it" factor that you feel sitting in a BMW, Porsche or other high end brand but at the end of the day... To each his own, I don't need the approval of others even though I get it just as much attention in my Japanese car.

Also, "NINE" I'm curious... Someone asked you what you drive and you never answered. What do you drive?

X is a good looking car. Especially the dark gunmetal color...
Man, that thing is killer. One of the best looking cars on the road.

However, I've noticed that the e92's benefit a lot from cosmetic mods - more so than most cars. Even after having one and getting bored of the looks, I still see some head turners.

-scheherazade
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 07:05 PM   #110
alms211
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
X is a good looking car. Especially the dark gunmetal color...
Man, that thing is killer. One of the best looking cars on the road.However, I've noticed that the e92's benefit a lot from cosmetic mods - more so than most cars. Even after having one and getting bored of the looks, I still see some head turners.

-scheherazade
WTF? this? You have got to be kidding
Attached Images

Appreciate 0